Draft Countdown Forums

Draft Countdown Forums (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/index.php)
-   Pro Football (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=44)
-   -   NFL to discuss expanded playoffs (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/showthread.php?t=54898)

Cigaro 12-13-2012 03:54 PM

NFL to discuss expanded playoffs

Quote:

IRVING, Texas -- Commissioner Roger Goodell said Wednesday at the NFL's owners meetings that the league would spend the next few months exploring playoff expansion.

"Of course, something that we discussed in the past is expanded playoffs. That is something that we teed up (at the meeting Wednesday)," he said. "We will probably be looking at it with the committee over the next several months. Right now, we are at 12 teams, obviously. We will look at probably 14 or 16. The committee will be looking at that."

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/87...r-goodell-says
Seems entirely unnecessary. Certainly wouldn't want half of the league playing the in the playoffs.

brat316 12-13-2012 03:57 PM

Listening to Mike and Mike this morning. But all these rules changes aren't Roger. It is the owners, but like and CEO, President you take the blame and spoils

49erNation85 12-13-2012 04:32 PM

Just please leave the play offs alone unless you bring in College OT rules in !

Ghost of Juice 12-13-2012 04:53 PM

If it ain't broke don't fix it.

BuckeyeDan17 12-13-2012 05:02 PM

The NFL and MLB playoffs are the best of the pro sports because not ******* over or about 50% of the league gets in. It's actually an accomplishment to get in as a wild card team vs an 8th seed NBA team that gets blasted in a 4 game sweep.

Leave it the **** alone.

Mufasa 12-13-2012 06:38 PM

Don't you ****** dare.

Brent 12-13-2012 07:10 PM

No one wants this until their team goes 7-9, makes Super Bowl run.

Then we never hear from them again.

Ness 12-13-2012 07:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brent (Post 3211369)

Depends on the context of the situation, but it would be quite rare for a 7-9 team to go on a Super Bowl run winning three on the road and then the Super Bowl.

RagingColt 12-13-2012 07:34 PM

No thank you. Playoff system works great as is.

Malaka 12-13-2012 08:41 PM

Ughhhhh please don't do it NFL. There are many reasons why the NBA sucks and the fact that over 50% of the teams get into the playoffs is one of those many reasons.

Halsey 12-13-2012 09:09 PM

This is not just Roger Goodell and the owners. The players and coaches have a say in this too, and many of them may like the idea of more money in the big pot. Let's not pretend it's only the owners that will gain financially from more games. Too many people like to ignore that the players and coaches have a say in overall NFL business.

In all fairness though, we should compliment the NFL on its creativity:

"We want more money! Let's add more teams all over the planet, more regular season games, more playoff games, etc. More, more, more!"

Malaka 12-13-2012 09:14 PM

The only way I am okay with playoff expansion is if they get two more teams. Which probably isn't happening any time soon.

KCJ58 12-13-2012 09:38 PM

don't want it to but this is so going to happen, so much money can be made on one or two extra playoff games

Mufasa 12-13-2012 10:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Malaka (Post 3211513)
The only way I am okay with playoff expansion is if they get two more teams. Which probably isn't happening any time soon.

Everything about this is wrong. The NFL should definitely not expand. If anything contracting two teams would be better. And even if they did expand,, adding more playoff spots would still dilute it too much.

Caddy 12-13-2012 10:58 PM

I quite like the way the top sports in Australia have been running their finals recently. Kind of difficult to extrapolate when you have 2 conferences, but I'll explain any way just to give a different point of view.

Round 1
1v4
2v3
5v8
6v7

Winner of 1/4, 2/3 goes straight to the semi-final and has home field. Winner of 5v8/6v7 play the losers of the 1v4/2v3 games who have the home field advantage.

Round 2 and beyond

It's fairly straight forward after that. The two winners in Round 2 move on to face the winners from the 1v4/2v3 games from Round 1. Then come the final.

J-Mike88 12-13-2012 11:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brent (Post 3211369)

Brent Jones, is that you?
Open again over the middle?

Mufasa 12-13-2012 11:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by J-Mike88 (Post 3211607)
Brent Jones, is that you?
Open again over the middle?

Shut up. Just shut the **** up.

Shane P. Hallam 12-13-2012 11:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Caddy (Post 3211601)
I quite like the way the top sports in Australia have been running their finals recently. Kind of difficult to extrapolate when you have 2 conferences, but I'll explain any way just to give a different point of view.

Round 1
1v4
2v3
5v8
6v7

Winner of 1/4, 2/3 goes straight to the semi-final and has home field. Winner of 5v8/6v7 play the losers of the 1v4/2v3 games who have the home field advantage.

Round 2 and beyond

It's fairly straight forward after that. The two winners in Round 2 move on to face the winners from the 1v4/2v3 games from Round 1. Then come the final.

That actually is pretty interesting. Probably would take too long for NFL, but I do kinda like it.

Caddy 12-14-2012 12:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shane P. Hallam (Post 3211615)
That actually is pretty interesting. Probably would take too long for NFL, but I do kinda like it.

I like it because it ensures that the top 4 teams who worked hard all season get a second chance even if they lose their first match in the playoffs. But it's completely different to the NFL. Australian leagues only have 16 teams and no split conferences. Still, I think it is always worth considering alternatives.

Malaka 12-14-2012 12:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mufasa (Post 3211596)
Everything about this is wrong. The NFL should definitely not expand. If anything contracting two teams would be better. And even if they did expand,, adding more playoff spots would still dilute it too much.

Sorry but you and I both know that is never happening.

I would rather have the playoffs be harder to get into to make sure only the best get in than make it over 50% of the teams. I understand you're point. It would dilute the regular season. However, I could give a damn about the regular season, as Giants fan sure I would love them to go undefeated but if sneak into the playoffs at 9-7 that's all I really care about. The playoffs would not be so diluted. It is a tradeoff, and a tradeoff that we might be forced to accept.

Again having 16 teams out of 32 make the playoffs is just awful.

Nalej 12-14-2012 07:36 AM

SeanTaylorRIP 12-14-2012 08:24 AM

I really like the 7 team format. Polian made some good points as I was driving to work this morning. First having the 7 team format only one team gets a bye, that only keeps things more interesting at the top and prevents a team from shutting down early unless they are like 13-0 or something. Doing this also gives lower teams more reason to play at the end of the year. A 5-8 team which would at that point ordinarily just put in younger guys while "unintentionally losing" would then have reason to at least be competitve. I just think that format keeps the league more competitve at the end of the year plus it gives space for a year like this in the NFC where one or maybe more teams with 10 win records could miss out on the playoffs.

ph90702 12-14-2012 08:36 AM

100% opposed. There's enough teams already.

Rosebud 12-14-2012 09:57 AM

I really don't want this because the giants already only win as much as they have to. With half the league in the playoffs they'll be able to get in at 7-9 to 9-7, and when we have our first 7-9 superbowl champ everyone's gunna be pissed.

Rosebud 12-14-2012 09:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ness (Post 3211389)
Depends on the context of the situation, but it would be quite rare for a 7-9 team to go on a Super Bowl run winning three on the road and then the Super Bowl.

You mean doing what the Giants, Steelers and Packers have done in the past decade? It's tough, but it's not that rare anymore.