Draft Countdown Forums

Draft Countdown Forums (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/index.php)
-   2014 NFL Draft Forum (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=47)
-   -   Mock Draft 3.0 - 12/17/12 (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/showthread.php?t=54929)

Scott Wright 12-17-2012 03:04 AM

Mock Draft 3.0 - 12/17/12

Just posted my third mock draft of the year and there were a lot of big changes!

As always constructive criticism is not only welcomed but encouraged. However, please be sure to explain the reasoning behind your opinions and if you disagree tell me why I am off-base.

Let's keep this thread fun and informative!

Now... FIRE AWAY! :)

Abaddon 12-17-2012 03:43 AM

'Preciate ya burning the midnight oil, chief.

I'm curious why Werner rates higher than Moore. I wouldn't be upset by either. I'd actually be a bit giddy. But it's always interesting to get an explanation of why you choose one and not the other.

KCStud 12-17-2012 03:48 AM

GENO! GENO! GENO!

Woo! And with Tavon Austin not in round 1, it would be freaking awesome if we snagged him in round 2!

TACKLE 12-17-2012 03:49 AM

I don't know about safety for the Ravens. Ed's contract is up after this year, but if he re-signs, I'd expect that he'd play at least two more years. Bernard Pollard has played at a high level for us the past two years and is signed through the next few years. I understand BPA but it's tough because a 3rd safety doesn't really get on the field unless there's an injury. I'm not sure Reid has the type of versatility and coverage skills to be a 5th DB in nickel sets. What we really need to get faster and more athletic in the front seven. Name a position, we're slow there right now. BPA in the front seven probably make a lot more sense for us right now than safety.

If you're taking requests, I have my little heart set on Arthur Brown. He's gonna be a special, special player and is exactly what we need. It would be fair to say not every 3-4 team will be looking at him because of his size even though we've seen numerous athletic 4-3 only LB's thrive inside in 34's in recent years.

On a sidenote: I think Ziggy ends up going much earlier than 23rd when it's all said and done.

sidenote #2: I'm curious as to why people are putting Lewan above Jake Matthews.

holt_bruce81 12-17-2012 05:04 AM

Awesome two picks for the rams.

I've asked a few people this, I know Manti has gotten a lot of well-deserved hype but do you think he's top 10 worthy? Is he better then luke kuechly coming out last year?

Caulibflower 12-17-2012 05:07 AM

I just posted in the Kawann Short thread, but I may as well bring it back here, because I think he'd be terrific in Red Bryant's role, moreso than Sheldon Richardson.

Also, I don't think the Seahawks will be picking that early. ;-)

Abaddon 12-17-2012 05:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TACKLE (Post 3215305)
sidenote #2: I'm curious as to why people are putting Lewan above Jake Matthews.

Probably because not everyone thinks Matthews can play LT, whereas Lewan appears to be athletic enough to assume he can stick there.

Scott Wright 12-17-2012 06:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Abaddon (Post 3215302)
'Preciate ya burning the midnight oil, chief.

I'm curious why Werner rates higher than Moore. I wouldn't be upset by either. I'd actually be a bit giddy. But it's always interesting to get an explanation of why you choose one and not the other.

I gave Werner a slight edge over Moore because he's more polished and well-rounded.

Scott Wright 12-17-2012 06:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by holt_bruce81 (Post 3215310)
Awesome two picks for the rams.

I've asked a few people this, I know Manti has gotten a lot of well-deserved hype but do you think he's top 10 worthy? Is he better then luke kuechly coming out last year?

It's going to be interesting to see where Manti Te'o goes. I have a feeling most teams will have Te'o in the Top 10 on their boards, if not higher, but I could see him slipping just a bit due to the positional value factor. I do think Te'o is a better prospect than Kuechly was though.

Scott Wright 12-17-2012 06:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Caulibflower (Post 3215311)
I just posted in the Kawann Short thread, but I may as well bring it back here, because I think he'd be terrific in Red Bryant's role, moreso than Sheldon Richardson.

Also, I don't think the Seahawks will be picking that early. ;-)

Short may be able to do it but I don't think the five-technique / defensive end is his ideal role.

Scott Wright 12-17-2012 06:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Abaddon (Post 3215313)
Probably because not everyone thinks Matthews can play LT, whereas Lewan appears to be athletic enough to assume he can stick there.

I think it's more a case of Lewan has proven he can play left tackle and Matthews hasn't.

That's why I've said it might be wise for Matthews to go back to Texas A&M for one more year. If he takes over for Joeckel at left tackle and proves that he can protect the blindside against elite SEC competition he could very well be a Top 3-5 overall pick in the 2014 NFL Draft.

bored of education 12-17-2012 07:40 AM

Uninformed Chiefs response:

Geno is not worth the first overall pick, plus you have Tyler Wilson falling out of round 1 so why not pick up X player then Tyler at the beginning of round 2.

I think Tyler's work with Condon will propel his status but right now I have an edge going to Geno.

I would like to see Justin Hunter as the first pick in round 2 though :)

General Zod 12-17-2012 07:56 AM

Like the vikings pick. I like Allen a little better then Justin Hunter. But I have a feeling there will be more then 1 WR taken in the first round.

Captain Canuck 12-17-2012 07:56 AM

No complaints from the Bills. It would also seem that they would be able to target Wilson, Glennon, or Dysert in the 2nd in this scenario.

regoob2 12-17-2012 08:01 AM

Good Bears pick. Our OL is turrible.

Scott Wright 12-17-2012 08:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bored of education (Post 3215346)
Uninformed Chiefs response:

Geno is not worth the first overall pick, plus you have Tyler Wilson falling out of round 1 so why not pick up X player then Tyler at the beginning of round 2.

I think Tyler's work with Condon will propel his status but right now I have an edge going to Geno.

I would like to see Justin Hunter as the first pick in round 2 though :)

I agree that Geno Smith isn't necessarily #1 overall pick material but I also don't think Kansas City can afford to wait and hope that Mike Glennon, Tyler Wilson or someone else will be available later. What if they do that and then someone trades up ahead of them and grabs their guy? The Chiefs don't have another need that even comes anywhere close to quarterback so I think they need to just decide whether they like Smith or Barkley and pull the trigger. It's just too important of a decision to play around with. Also, if they try to get cute and it doesn't work out it will cost people jobs whether it's Scott Pioli / Romeo Crennel or their replacements. Just ask the guys in Miami who selected John Beck at the top of round two, etc.

Scott Wright 12-17-2012 08:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by General Zod (Post 3215354)
Like the vikings pick. I like Allen a little better then Justin Hunter. But I have a feeling there will be more then 1 WR taken in the first round.

Quite possibly and the wideouts were one of the area where I struggled a bit.

It's Allen and then three or four other guys battling for the next spot. Since there really is no consensus for that second wideout yet I kind of copped out and avoided them all together.

Scott Wright 12-17-2012 08:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by regoob2 (Post 3215360)
Good Bears pick. Our OL is turrible.

But at least the Bears have a backup / situational pass rusher in Shea McClellin rather than Riley Reiff, David DeCastro or Kevin Zeitler. :) Still can't believe they ignored the o-line last offseason.

CJSchneider 12-17-2012 09:16 AM

Hankins at #13 makes me pretty happy.

vidae 12-17-2012 09:25 AM

Great KC pick sir. I will say that I don't think there is such a thing as a reach when you need a franchise QB but I'd be fine "reaching" on Geno.

WCH 12-17-2012 09:26 AM

I'd be pretty happy with Tyler Eifert to the Packers, but I'm not sure if they'd use a first round pick on a TE. Defensive front-seven or offensive line seems to be their M.O.

killxswitch 12-17-2012 09:31 AM

I can't agree with the Colts pick. First, I think Warmack is the only guard worth a 1st rounder in this class. Second, the Colts need a rush OLB more than anything else to replace Dwight Freeney. All my preferences (including Ansah) are already taken but I would still go for Alex Okafor since we have no 2nd rounder. I wouldn't take the chance hoping for someone to drop to the 3rd. I would also go w/Eric Reid before any guard not named Warmack, we've lacked a quality safety to pair with Antoine Bethea for years.

Also, you mentioned adding an ILB but that is the strongest position on the defense. Jarrell Freeman, Pat Angerer, Kavell Conner, and Moise Fokou have all had solid-or-better seasons, with Freeman being the biggest and best surprise. We don't need ILBs.

On the defensive line we are set at NT, our current guys got a year of experience and neither were supposed to be starters. We'll get back our planned starter (Brandon McKinney) and potential future starter (Josh Chapman) in the offseason. At DE we have defensive captain Cory Redding. An upgrade at the other DE position would be welcome but Fili Moala was finally showing growth and was asserting his will against blockers his final 2 or 3 games when he was injured and sent to IR. I'm not sure there are any prospects that can beat out our current starters still left on the board at this point in the draft, and this team is too needy in other areas to bother with depth players, no matter the value.

scottyboy 12-17-2012 10:11 AM

i'm perfectly fine with the giants pick if it meant Osi's gone and Tuck's ass is either benched, limited next year, or sent packing

Matthew Jones 12-17-2012 10:37 AM

Amerson makes some sense but I'd be furious with the pick. He's not an elite cover corner, and his lack of physicality/tackling efficiency and fundamentals are appalling. I don't want the last line of defense to be someone who can't tackle.

YotoJets007 12-17-2012 11:56 AM

Jets' pick is so boringggggggggg. lol. It is not your fault as Jets apparently lack of luxury to have several choices for best value in the first round.

I think Jets should take Mike Glennon instead of OLB because Rex Ryan or the franchise would love to have the legit run game back. Glennon's ideal height and arm strength should keep defense in check so that way Jets could become a better smashmouth offense. Additionally, once Glennon and WRs click altogether, Jets should give us something exciting to watch offensively.

I feel there are a plenty of pass rushing projections for OLB after 1st round starting with John Simon or Travis Long. Mike Glennon is one of few quarterbacks that could actually seat Mark Sanchez next year.