Draft Countdown Forums

Draft Countdown Forums (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/index.php)
-   Pro Football (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=44)
-   -   Andre Johnson/Hall of Fame? (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/showthread.php?t=55029)

katnip 12-28-2012 11:57 AM

Andre Johnson/Hall of Fame?
 
I was wondering what are peoples thought on this here. As he's never had a very good (to me) QB throwing it to him. Matt Schaub is above average to me. And Andre's been considered top 3 at his position, especially in 2008 and 2009.

Too me he needs one more great season and 1 or 2 more above average seasons. Which is feasible to me, considering they still haven't found a guy to be a true compliment or successor to him.

Brought this up because he's my favorite Cane WR, and I just noticed he's a pro bowl starter.

Don Vito 12-28-2012 12:02 PM

Hall of fame talent, a great ambassador for the game, and a great player. I am not quite sure though if he will have a fall of fame resume when it is all said and done. Certainly an interesting debate. Will finish up with nice career yardage and maybe 1,000 catches, but the TD's will be what hurts him statistically. I am a huge fan of Andre and I would love to see him get in but it is hardly a sure thing if you ask me. His great reputation will only help him.

ph90702 12-28-2012 12:17 PM

No!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

JRTPlaya21 12-28-2012 12:19 PM

I figure if he makes it to atleast 14,000 yards he has a shot. Like Vito said his TDs may keep him out. He has 56 in his career and Calvin already is at 54.

LonghornsLegend 12-28-2012 12:28 PM

He hasn't scored nearly enough TD's for me, and doesn't have the career track record yet. I'm not sure what to fully contribute that to honestly, but for a guy who catches so many passes, he should have more TD's then he does. Would have liked to think a guy with his size, and game breaking ability, could have reached double digit TD's at least once.


He has 4 this year off of 100 catches. He's an elite talent but this has always bothered me.

JRTPlaya21 12-28-2012 12:31 PM

I'm with you there Legend. Not having double digit touchdowns at least once in your career as an elite receiver is a no no.

Job Reborn 12-28-2012 12:55 PM

wtf no.
(10)

descendency 12-28-2012 01:04 PM

The argument for him is that he's the best WR over the last few seasons. The negative is that he just doesn't score enough TDs.

I'd say he doesn't get in. Too many good WRs don't get in because they don't have a ring and don't have enough touchdowns.

TitanHope 12-28-2012 01:05 PM

As a player coming out of this passing era, he may have a hard time - especially with the log jam at WR recently. Lots of guys are going to come out of this decade with great statistics. They'll need something to make them special. Winning Super Bowls isn't as critical for non-QB's, but it'd certainly help if AJ won one this year. His window for great production may be closing soon.

NotMyJob 12-28-2012 03:55 PM



1st ballot

stlouisfan37 12-28-2012 03:59 PM

I think in order for him to get in, he would need to do the following:

1) Reach receptions/yards milestones way beyond what the other great WR's in the last couple of decades have...ie, get closer to Rice than the rest. 1300 receptions for 17,000 yards might do it. This would require him playing 7 more seasons, with at least 3 or 4 of them staying at his current production level.

2) We know that he is well below the greats in touchdowns, but he needs to bring that to respectability. 80 might do it, 90 would be much better.
Take into consideration that Carter still isn't in after many tries, and he scored 130 times.

3) Put up some serious production in the postseason. The next 2-3 postseasons will be crucial for him, assuming that his team continues to make the playoffs in this window. The main reason why Lynn Swann made the HOF without reaching 500 receptions was his play after the regular season ended.

I think it is possible, but I really don't see it happening. Andre Johnson will be remembered as a really good player, but not the best of his time.

jth1331 12-28-2012 05:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NotMyJob (Post 3224131)


1st ballot

Just for punching that douche Finnegan he gains more consideration from me haha

Quote:

Originally Posted by stlouisfan37 (Post 3224132)
I think in order for him to get in, he would need to do the following:

1) Reach receptions/yards milestones way beyond what the other great WR's in the last couple of decades have...ie, get closer to Rice than the rest. 1300 receptions for 17,000 yards might do it. This would require him playing 7 more seasons, with at least 3 or 4 of them staying at his current production level.

2) We know that he is well below the greats in touchdowns, but he needs to bring that to respectability. 80 might do it, 90 would be much better.
Take into consideration that Carter still isn't in after many tries, and he scored 130 times.

3) Put up some serious production in the postseason. The next 2-3 postseasons will be crucial for him, assuming that his team continues to make the playoffs in this window. The main reason why Lynn Swann made the HOF without reaching 500 receptions was his play after the regular season ended.

I think it is possible, but I really don't see it happening. Andre Johnson will be remembered as a really good player, but not the best of his time.

He absolutely needs to reach huge milestones, and I'm not sure he will. Some WR's just drop off, like Torry Holt, some can maintain some respectability for awhile, like Rice, Isaac Bruce.

If you look at what WR's aren't in, I don't see anyway you can justify putting Johnson ahead of them with his lower TD total. Again, I always say it, TD's are more important than yardage and Johnson lacks severely in that category.
Johnson will have receptions and yards that match up well, but I don't see him catching enough TD's to make him be in when Cris Carter isn't in, Marvin Harrison probably won't be in and Tim Brown isn't in either.

JRTPlaya21 12-28-2012 05:30 PM

Marvin Harrison not a HOFer? In what world??? 3rd most receptions ever, 6th most in yards & 5th most in receiving TDs. Marvin had double digit TDs in 8 straight seasons. Something not even Jerry Rice could do.

FUNBUNCHER 12-28-2012 07:00 PM

Physically a HOF talent, would be a starter for any team in the NFL, but his low number of career TDs is going to hurt him.

The deepest position for the HOF is WR and will be for years to come.
Candidates who get into Canton from this era are going to need near immaculate career resumes.

Prowler 12-28-2012 07:07 PM

Dre needs to do something in the playoffs before I could even consider him. Or he needs a few seasons of early Randy Moss or Calvin Johnson dominance to help compensate. Right now he is just an elite mismatch, but is not HoF worthy.

Cigaro 12-28-2012 07:10 PM

Unless he keeps this pace going for a good number of years, no. He may have the talent, but not the overall resume. Great wide receiver, but not all-time great.

vidae 12-28-2012 07:29 PM

Andre Johnson is a hall of fame person, but I doubt he makes it in there as a player.

PoopSandwich 12-28-2012 08:34 PM

Imagine if he had Brady Brees Manning or Rodgers throwing to him.

Caulibflower 12-28-2012 08:50 PM

Think this is a classic case of a player who would start and be the number one wide receiver on just about any team in the league, but when history looks back they're going to look at the stats and the poor teams he played on for most of his career and find reasons to put lesser players in ahead of him because they have some statistical advantage, whether it be more TDs or having played on playoff teams/won Super Bowls. I think the Cris Carter reference is a good once. Andre Johnson might be a superior physical talent to Carter, but that's not what gets players into the Hall of Fame - it's all about the resume, and even with what looks like a HOF resume Carter is still waiting. I expect Carter to get in eventually, but I suppose what I'm saying is if Andre Johnson gets in, he's going to have to wait awhile first. A little bit of outrage at his exclusion is going to have to build.

Prowler 12-28-2012 08:55 PM

Andre Johnson hasn't done jack ****. Why would he get in over Jimmy Smith?

http://www.pro-football-reference.co...S/SmitJi00.htm

ShutDwn 12-28-2012 09:05 PM

What's his signature play? He has nice stats but he isn't that memorable a player to me. Always highly ranked in people's WR lists but he doesn't have a resume of clutch plays in big games.

Caulibflower 12-28-2012 09:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Prowler (Post 3224316)
Andre Johnson hasn't done jack ****. Why would he get in over Jimmy Smith?

http://www.pro-football-reference.co...S/SmitJi00.htm

If you're going to link to a site that's all about statistics while claiming Andre Johnson "hasn't done jack ****," maybe you should look at Andre Johnson's page so you can see that he led the league in some statistical category 5 times while Jimmy Smith only did once. They're both borderline HOF candidates whose cases suffer from a lack of national exposure, but it doesn't do much for Jimmy Smith to act like Andre Johnson is completely underserving, particularly as a comparison to Jimmy Smith, because that's just silly.

Prowler 12-28-2012 09:32 PM

I don't care about Jimmy Smith in the same way that I don't care about Andre Johnson. Nobody outside of football gurus and local fanbases care. It took Art Monk like a decade to get in, Michael Irvin had to wait, and Jimmy Smith won't sniff it. TO is going to probably have to wait a couple years before he enters. Its not about a lack of exposure, Andre Johnson hasn't done anything. He's not even the dominant player at his position of his era. Fitz, Calvin, Moss, and Reggie Wayne all have better arguments.

WCH 12-28-2012 09:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Prowler (Post 3224351)
I don't care about Jimmy Smith in the same way that I don't care about Andre Johnson. Nobody outside of football gurus and local fanbases care. It took Art Monk like a decade to get in, Michael Irvin had to wait, and Jimmy Smith won't sniff it. TO is going to probably have to wait a couple years before he enters. Its not about a lack of exposure, Andre Johnson hasn't done anything. He's not even the dominant player at his position of his era. Fitz, Calvin, Moss, and Reggie Wayne all have better arguments.

This. There are better/as-good WRs who don't have a snowball's chance in hell of getting into the HOF.

SeanTaylorRIP 12-28-2012 10:08 PM

Santana Moss has 8 more career TD's that Andre Johnson, that's the issue.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:51 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.