Draft Countdown Forums

Draft Countdown Forums (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/index.php)
-   2015 NFL Draft Forum (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=47)
-   -   Offensive Tackles (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/showthread.php?t=55118)

Babylon 01-04-2013 03:55 PM

Offensive Tackles

this looks like a solid group that is only going to get better leading up to the combine. as of now it's looking like sure bets are:

Luke Joeckel
Dallas Thomas
Taylor Lewan
Eric Fisher
DJ Fluker
Justin Pugh
Kyle Long

rawdawg 01-04-2013 05:49 PM

Thomas is definitely going to be a Guard. I think Long and Fluker may ultimately end up there too. Taking out Matthews also, weakens this class a lot.

Scott Wright 01-04-2013 06:05 PM

I would probably add Lane Johnson of Oklahoma to that list as well.

armageddon 01-04-2013 06:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rawdawg (Post 3232746)
Thomas is definitely going to be a Guard. I think Long and Fluker may ultimately end up there too. Taking out Matthews also, weakens this class a lot.

I think Fluker will be a very good RT in the pros. He may have trouble with an occasional guy who has the power/speed combo off the edge, but there aren't that many like that. If so, he can a little TE chip help.

armageddon 01-04-2013 06:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Babylon (Post 3232630)
this looks like a solid group that is only going to get better leading up to the combine. as of now it's looking like sure bets are:

Luke Joeckel
Dallas Thomas
Taylor Lewan
Eric Fisher
DJ Fluker
Justin Pugh
Kyle Long

I consider Rodger Saffold a pretty good LT when healthy. Are all these guys (and Lane Johnson) better than Saffold?

holt_bruce81 01-04-2013 06:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by armageddon (Post 3232764)
I consider Rodger Saffold a pretty good LT when healthy. Are all these guys (and Lane Johnson) better than Saffold?

No.

Joeckel, Lewan and Fisher are. but I think Saffold is better than the others mentioned.

Babylon 01-04-2013 06:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by armageddon (Post 3232764)

And even if Saffold is the answer there you're probably still short a tackle and even a guard.

My guess is where the Rams are picking you're probably looking at Fisher, Fluker and a Chance Womack (g)

armageddon 01-04-2013 06:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Babylon (Post 3232799)
And even if Saffold is the answer there you're probably still short a tackle and even a guard.

My guess is where the Rams are picking you're probably looking at Fisher, Fluker and a Chance Womack (g)

I'm in as long as you mean Fluker in rd 2.

Babylon 01-04-2013 11:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scott Wright (Post 3232757)
I would probably add Lane Johnson of Oklahoma to that list as well.

Has done great when lined up across from Damonte Moore.

SomethingAboutFB 01-04-2013 11:24 PM

If we throw in Matthews in there, this could be a top heavy draft with good OTs. The NFL is sorely lacking in good OTs so this crop is coming at a good time

ramsrule 01-04-2013 11:31 PM

Rams certainly need O-line help. I would not be sad if they went tackle/tackle or tackle/guard. They also need to address a need at safety and linebacker. Another TE wouldn't hurt, either. Would love for them to get the kid from Stanford if he is available in second round.

SolidGold 01-04-2013 11:39 PM

This crop of OTs is the deepest I can remember - such amazing quality and depth

Babylon 01-04-2013 11:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SomethingAboutFB (Post 3233073)
If we throw in Matthews in there, this could be a top heavy draft with good OTs. The NFL is sorely lacking in good OTs so this crop is coming at a good time

Believe he said he was returning.

Lil Quip 01-05-2013 04:32 AM

I think it is interesting how Matthews situation parallels Tyron Smith. For Smith, he knew entering early was the best option, since Kalil would have been a junior his senior year. It worked out for him, it would have been optimal i guess to have a year of college at LT. Matthews has a year to put up or shut up in college at LT before being thrown to the wolves.

Even without Matthews, I think this could be a really nice tackle draft. I actually think it can be the most top heavy of recent memory, between Loeckel and Lewan. That being said, I would HIGHLY doubt it would match 2008. That draft had the following:

1-1 Jake Long
1-12 Ryan Clady
1-14 Chris Williams (woops)
1-15 brandon Albert
1-17 Gosder Cherilus
1-19 Jeff Otah
1-21 Sam Baker
1-26 Duane Brown

armageddon 01-05-2013 11:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lil Quip (Post 3233163)
I think it is interesting how Matthews situation parallels Tyron Smith. For Smith, he knew entering early was the best option, since Kalil would have been a junior his senior year. It worked out for him, it would have been optimal i guess to have a year of college at LT. Matthews has a year to put up or shut up in college at LT before being thrown to the wolves.

Even without Matthews, I think this could be a really nice tackle draft. I actually think it can be the most top heavy of recent memory, between Loeckel and Lewan. That being said, I would HIGHLY doubt it would match 2008. That draft had the following:

1-1 Jake Long
1-12 Ryan Clady
1-14 Chris Williams (woops)
1-15 brandon Albert
1-17 Gosder Cherilus
1-19 Jeff Otah
1-21 Sam Baker
1-26 Duane Brown

He looked good at OG playing for the Rams late in the year. I hope the Rams can resign him and let coach Beadroux keep working with him.