Draft Countdown Forums

Draft Countdown Forums (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/index.php)
-   Pro Football (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=44)
-   -   Brothgar's take: The QB Situation (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/showthread.php?t=55153)

Brothgar 01-07-2013 06:26 PM

Brothgar's take: The QB Situation

*Those in red are free agents.
Happy with the current QBs

Tennessee
10 J. Locker
8 M. Hasselbeck
11 R. Smith

Seattle
3 R. Wilson
15 M. Flynn

San Fran
7 C. Kaepernick
11 A. Smith
3 S. Tolzien

San Diego
17 P. Rivers
6 C. Whitehurst

New England
12 T. Brady
15 R. Mallett

Houston
8 M. Schaub
13 T. Yates

Detroit
9 M. Stafford
14 S. Hill
17 K. Moore

Dallas
9 T. Romo
18 K. Orton

Denver
18 P. Manning
6 B. Osweiler
16 C. Hanie

Washington
12 K. Cousins
10 R. Griffin III
8 R. Grossman

“Fine” at the QB position

Tampa Bay
5 J. Freeman
6 D. Orlovsky

Minnesota Vikings
7 C. Ponder
14 J. Webb
4 M. Bethel-Thompson

Carolina
1 C. Newton
3 D. Anderson
7 J. Clausen

Needs a backup

Pittsburgh
7 B. Roethlisberger
4 B. Leftwich
16 C. Batch

Miami Dolphins
17 R. Tannehill
8 M. Moore
7 P. Devlin

St. Louis
8 S. Bradford
10 K. Clemens
9 A. Davis

New York Giants
10 E. Manning
8 D. Carr

Philadelphia
7 M. Vick
9 N. Foles
11 T. Edwards

Colts
12 A. Luck
5 D. Stanton

Cleveland
Brandon Weeden
T. Lewis
J. Johnson

Atlanta Falcons
2 M. Ryan
12 L. McCown
4 D. Davis

Bengals
14 A. Dalton
7 B. Gradkowski

Chicago
6 J. Cutler
2 J. Campbell
12 J. McCown

Green Bay
12 A. Rodgers
6 G. Harrell

New Orleans
9 D. Brees
10 C. Daniel

Oakland
C. Palmer
T.Pryor
M.Leinart

Needs a starter

Baltimore
5 J. Flacco
2 T. Taylor

Needs a starter AND a backup

Arizona Cardinals
6 B. Hoyer
14 R. Lindley
19 J. Skelton
Kevin Kolb

Jacsonville Jags
7 C. Henne
5 J. Palmer
B.Gabbert

New York Jets
6 M. Sanchez
15 T. Tebow
14 G. McElroy

Buffalo
14 R. Fitzpatrick
4 T. Thigpen
7 T. Jackson

KC Chiefs
Bad
Badder
AMERISTANZI!!!

Free Agent QBs

Joe Flacco BAL
Jason Campbell CHI
Josh Johnson CLE
Matt Moore MIA
Drew Stanton IND
Rex Grossman WAS
Bruce Gradkowski CIN
David Garrard FA
Troy Smith FA
Matt Leinart OAK
Tarvaris Jackson BUF
Donovan McNabb FA
Tyler Thigpen BUF
Charlie Batch PIT
Brian Hoyer ARZ
Derek Anderson CAR
Vince Young FA
David Carr NYG
Seneca Wallace FA
Luke McCown ATL
Josh McCown CHI
Richard Bartel ARZ
Rudy Carpenter DAL
John Beck FA
Stephen McGee FA
Brady Quinn KC
Chase Daniel NO
Byron Leftwich PIT
Billy Volek SD
Kellen Clemens STL

Top 7 QBs in the Draft

1. Geno Smith
2. Mike Glennon
3. Matt Barkley
4. Tyler Wilson
5. Ryan Nassib
6. EJ Manuel
7. Landry Jones

Brothgar 01-07-2013 06:31 PM

More is coming this line will disappear when done.

Now for some predictions

Kansas City Chiefs - Andy Reid is the new head coach for the Chiefs my current thought is that both Cassel and Quinn will be cut/let go to free agency. Leaving Stanzi as the last left over. I think that if they bring in Brad Childress in as OC or QB coach we will see Tavaris Jackson come in as a back up. Jackson has some experience and hasn't been out of football for two years like Donovan McNabb has been. As for the starter I imagine they go draft. They have the first overall pick and while none of these QBs are worthy of the pick even when you consider the inflated value at the QB position but that is THE big need for the Chiefs even in bad QB classes we've seen 4 QBs go in the first round. I don't think that is something the Chiefs want to risk. There are better players out there but Geno Smith is the best QB and he is very good with the comeback and underneath routs he isn't a McNabb/Vick level of mobile but Geno Smith is ten times as mobile as a Mike Glennon.

Proposed QB situation
Geno Smith > Tavaris Jackson > Ricky Stanzi

Jacksonville Jags

The Jags are a tougher situation than the Chiefs I guess the first question that has to come when talking about the Jags QB situation is if the new GM is going to keep Mike Mularky for longer than a year if at all. If they aren't then stick with Chad Henne until a new head coach is brought in which, by looking at this draft class, it wouldn't be a bad idea to bide their time. I understand for a team that has been bad for so long (I'm a Lions fan so I understand all too well) the anxiousness of trying to turn around the franchise but I fear that all roads may lead to a bad way but they may go for Glennon but I would find that to be a mistake. Wait for round 2 if you must take one this year or else wait for a better QB class next year.

Suggested QB situation
Chad Henne > Blaine Gabbert

Bills2083 01-07-2013 06:36 PM

Good job, overall.
However, I'd put the Bills in the 'Need a Starter & Backup' category.
IMO, Fitz will be cut before bonuses are due, Thigpen is a FA and god-awful QB, and Jackson probably hated his stint with the team (he was never even dressed). I honestly wouldn't be surprised to see 3 new QBs on the roster come week 1.

The Alex 01-07-2013 07:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brothgar (Post 3236742)
Happy with the current QBs

Tennessee
10 J. Locker
8 M. Hasselbeck
11 R. Smith

You serious?

gpngc 01-07-2013 07:37 PM

Jake Locker is athletic. He hustles. He's got all the intangibles. His arm is SICK.

He told us he makes good decisions off the field and WE BELIEVE him because he's truly a good kid. So he'll be able to read defenses and make those decisions on the field.

And accuracy? We'll use the XP points he gets for all of his INTANGIBLE/ATHLETICISM achievements to build it up.

FOOL PROOF PLAN TITANS. FOOL PROOF.

vidae 01-07-2013 07:46 PM

You didn't even list the Chiefs. That should tell you how god awful our QB situation is. :(

bearsfan_51 01-07-2013 07:56 PM

Jason Campbell isn't an adequate backup? He didn't do great this year, but his career resume says he's capable of being one of the better backups in the league, especially when you're considering Joe Webb and Dan Orlavsky as fine.

Now, if we don't resign him, we'll certainly be in the market.

RCAChainGang 01-07-2013 08:00 PM

I actually am confident with Stanton at backup. I would say the Colts are happy with the QB position.

BigBanger 01-07-2013 08:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Alex (Post 3236810)
You serious?

Titans are happy with terrible QB play but the Steelers are "fine" with having one of the five best QBs in football.

Makes sense.

But I'm having trouble understanding the meaning / point of this thread.

farfromforgotten 01-07-2013 08:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vidae (Post 3236831)
You didn't even list the Chiefs. That should tell you how god awful our QB situation is. :(

I think what he's trying to say is that he doesn't consider anyone currently on the Chiefs roster to be an actual QB.

Brothgar 01-07-2013 08:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bearsfan_51 (Post 3236842)
Jason Campbell isn't an adequate backup? He didn't do great this year, but his career resume says he's capable of being one of the better backups in the league, especially when you're considering Joe Webb and Dan Orlavsky as fine.

Now, if we don't resign him, we'll certainly be in the market.

Yeah I don't make any assumptions as to people getting resigned. Which is why the Ravens are looking for a starter. Personally I think that Jason Campbell is better than some of the starters the league is throwing out there.

Brothgar 01-07-2013 08:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigBanger (Post 3236873)
Titans are happy with terrible QB play but the Steelers are "fine" with having one of the five best QBs in football.

Makes sense.

But I'm having trouble understanding the meaning / point of this thread.

Actually the Steelers should also be looking for a backup. I'm talking about the QB situation as a whole that includes backups. Titans are happy with their situation meaning they are not going to be going after a QB unless Hasselbeck retires.

EDIT: As to the point of the thread eventually I'm going to get to pairing available QBs to teams.

niel89 01-07-2013 08:45 PM

I was going to ask about the Ravens. There is little chance Flacco leaves when we can use the tag.

Brothgar 01-07-2013 08:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by niel89 (Post 3236902)
I was going to ask about the Ravens. There is little chance Flacco leaves when we can use the tag.

No doubt. When looking at what is available Joe Flacco has the Ravens by the balls.

vidae 01-07-2013 09:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by farfromforgotten (Post 3236876)
I think what he's trying to say is that he doesn't consider anyone currently on the Chiefs roster to be an actual QB.

Well, that would be pretty accurate.

Prowler 01-07-2013 09:34 PM

wow...that FA and draft list almost makes Donovan McNabb a viable option...

XxXdragonXxX 01-07-2013 10:34 PM

I don't see why Miami needs a backup. Matt Moore had a decent years as the starter last year, one of the better backups in the league IMO.

Brothgar 01-07-2013 11:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by XxXdragonXxX (Post 3237248)
I don't see why Miami needs a backup. Matt Moore had a decent years as the starter last year, one of the better backups in the league IMO.

Matt Moore is a free agent. I didn't really do this well. I should have deleted the free agents . :/

Rosebud 01-07-2013 11:33 PM

David Carr is the perfect backup. Pretty boy looks, he holds a clip board well, and he's been with the giants long enough to understand the offense well enough to help Eli figure **** out.

Brothgar 01-07-2013 11:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rosebud (Post 3237399)
David Carr is the perfect backup. Pretty boy looks, he holds a clip board well, and he's been with the giants long enough to understand the offense well enough to help Eli figure **** out.

He is also a free agent.

Bob Sanders Dreadlock 01-07-2013 11:56 PM

I don't understand why the colts wouldnt be happy with their QB. Andew Luck has a great future. If he goes down we are going to suck no matter who we throw back there. Who cares if the back up is drew stanton or the kid from teh cam newton commercial.

Brothgar 01-08-2013 12:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bob Sanders Dreadlock (Post 3237430)
I don't understand why the colts wouldnt be happy with their QB. Andew Luck has a great future. If he goes down we are going to suck no matter who we throw back there. Who cares if the back up is drew stanton or the kid from teh cam newton commercial.

The Colts of all teams should know the value in a good backup QB.

OzTitan 01-08-2013 01:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brothgar (Post 3237482)
The Colts of all teams should know the value in a good backup QB.

What, the driving force behind the reason they landed Luck? Yeah, you bet they know the value ;)

Cigaro 01-08-2013 01:33 AM

So what exactly was the rationale for our grouping? Clausen being the back-up?

RCAChainGang 01-08-2013 01:39 AM

I'd be disappointed if Stanton didn't get resigned. And even then we have Chandler Harnish.