Draft Countdown Forums

Draft Countdown Forums (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/index.php)
-   2014 NFL Draft Forum (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=47)
-   -   The Stable of Alabama Running Backs (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/showthread.php?t=55179)

devinhester=R.O.Y 2006 01-08-2013 08:56 PM

The Stable of Alabama Running Backs
 
As we all have seen the past few years the Crimson Tide have pumped out some very talented running backs. I didn't go back very far, starting back in 2000.

2000 - Sean Alexander (19th)
2003 - Ahmaad Galloway (235th)
2007 - Kenneth Darby (246th)
2009 - Glen Coffee (74th)
2011 - Mark Ingram (28th)
2012 - Trent Richardson (3rd)

Even backs like Shaud Williams (UDFA) and fullbacks Le'Ron McClain and Brad Smelley have made it in the NFL.

What gets even crazier is what is yet to come with Eddie Lacy and T.J. Yeldon, with Lacy likely the top RB in this draft class.

Then we see that they have 3 big time commits for 2013 in Derrick Henry, Tyren Jones, and Altee Tenpenny. Not saying that any of them will pan out, but I would have to venture a guess that at least one of them would.

The questions is...can we look to Bama as a new sort of Running Back U? Besides the fact that it is just oozing with crazy talented kids all over the field.

Don Vito 01-08-2013 09:00 PM

TJ Yeldon is going to be such a damn beast. The amount of talent Bama has had in the last few years is still trending up. They are going to keep getting better which is ******* scary.

SuperPacker 01-08-2013 09:01 PM

Kenyan Drake.

gpngc 01-08-2013 09:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by devinhester=R.O.Y 2006 (Post 3238636)
As we all have seen the past few years the Crimson Tide have pumped out some very talented running backs. I didn't go back very far, starting back in 2000.

2000 - Sean Alexander (19th)
2003 - Ahmaad Galloway (235th)
2007 - Kenneth Darby (246th)
2009 - Glen Coffee (74th)
2011 - Mark Ingram (28th)
2012 - Trent Richardson (3rd)

Even backs like Shaud Williams (UDFA) and fullbacks Le'Ron McClain and Brad Smelley have made it in the NFL.

What gets even crazier is what is yet to come with Eddie Lacy and T.J. Yeldon, with Lacy likely the top RB in this draft class.

Then we see that they have 3 big time commits for 2013 in Derrick Henry, Tyren Jones, and Altee Tenpenny. Not saying that any of them will pan out, but I would have to venture a guess that at least one of them would.

The questions is...can we look to Bama as a new sort of Running Back U? Besides the fact that it is just oozing with crazy talented kids all over the field.

Glen Coffee.

brasho 01-08-2013 10:02 PM

I'm not sure Ahmad Galloway, Glen Coffee, and Kenneth Darby add to your case. As a matter of fact, the inclusion of Coffee almost leads to this case being dismissed entirely.

Why not go back a little farter? Hell, Tony Nathan was better than at least half of the guys you have listed. Bobby Humphrey was pretty good, Gene Jelks had a little more than a cup of coffee (pun intended). Paul Ott Carruth was pretty decent. I wasn't probably the only one that thought Siran Stacy might be decent. I'm sure there's some guys in the 80's, 90's and beyond I'm forgetting (Sherman Wil.liams anyone?) but I don't think the number of RBs the Crimson Tide is in any way disproportionate with the number of players that put in the NFL at other positions. If anything, when compared to percentages of other positions, I think they've had less success with RB than DL, LB, and DB

Halsey 01-08-2013 11:01 PM

I watched a few highlights of Derrick Henry and wanted to cry. He looks scary good.

fenikz 01-08-2013 11:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SuperPacker (Post 3238647)
Kenyan Drake.

Mr. Garbage Time

FUNBUNCHER 01-08-2013 11:25 PM

Derrick Henry is the only reason I'm going to watch Alabama next season.

nepg 01-08-2013 11:29 PM

I'm confused by what's happening here. I was never a fan of Alexander (running behind Hutch & Jones with a ******** number of TDs being 1-yarders) and all of the others, up until Richardson, have sucked ass.

TitansCJftw 01-08-2013 11:43 PM

Count me in on the TJ Yeldon bandwagon

JRTPlaya21 01-09-2013 12:11 AM

Wait til Bo Scarbrough gets there. Pipeline running very strong.

Big Bird 01-09-2013 12:50 AM

How do you not mention Shaud Williams?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XcIaJ-aXAAI

The only one of the group to appear with Bruno!!!

soybean 01-09-2013 01:30 AM

Mark Ingram sucks. no offense.

Lil Quip 01-09-2013 10:20 AM

Pro success is somewhat suspect, but we are talking RB after all.

The amazing thing I see about the Saban rb corps is how when he had a number one back coming into his own, Ingram first, now Lacy, there is super frosh in waiting that people argue is better than the starter (TRich and Yeldon.)

Back in the USC success it seemed like they were five deep with RB's that were five star recruits. It just seems like Saban has it dialed in to have the perfect amount of amazing running backs.

Robcards 01-09-2013 10:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by devinhester=R.O.Y 2006 (Post 3238636)
2003 - Ahmaad Galloway (235th)
2007 - Kenneth Darby (246th)
2009 - Glen Coffee (74th)


Combined 634 career rushing yards between the three. Why even mention them? Start at Mark Ingram to make your point. The gap between Alexander and Ingram refutes your point if anything. Ingram, Richardson, and Lacy and Yeldon in the future should be the topic of discussion, going all the way back to 2000 to find the last good one doesn't really scream 'awesome RB school!'

brasho 01-09-2013 10:27 AM

You guys are missing the point... Alabama is producing products of all positions. Okay, maybe not QB so much, but every position, especially DL, LB, and DB have been produced in mass quantities even greater than RB. It's not that Alabama is special with the RBs, they are special with all players. That's just the way it is right now. They have been one of the top teams for a long while. You don't get to the top without great and good players. Great and good players go onto the next level.

AntoinCD 01-09-2013 10:33 AM

Alabama is sick all over the field. RB, WR, OL, DL, LB and DB

QB is really the only position where they haven't had top prospects for the NFL but I do like McCarron

A lot of is the fact they are getting top recruits but they are also receiving unbelievable coaching. You seldom see ill-disciplined play by any Bama player and they are technically sound

bigbuc 01-09-2013 11:51 AM

It's a joke how good this team looks. I didn't think I'd see this again but I think Bama is going on a The U type run with players. For the next few years I could see 2-5 players from each of their teams going 1st round

brasho 01-09-2013 12:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AntoinCD (Post 3239093)
Alabama is sick all over the field. RB, WR, OL, DL, LB and DB

QB is really the only position where they haven't had top prospects for the NFL but I do like McCarron

A lot of is the fact they are getting top recruits but they are also receiving unbelievable coaching. You seldom see ill-disciplined play by any Bama player and they are technically sound

I would say, for the most part, they are technically proficient. Let's face it, these players at Alabama are, for the most part, athletic studs. There have been quite a few disappointments at the NFL level despite having the requisite talent (Rolando McClain, several OL and DL haven't lived up to billing, some DBs as well). Personally, as a Bucs fan, I was absolutely shocked at how terrible Mark Barron was in man to man coverage, lining up inside when playing a TE off the line and then reacting late to the outcut repeatedly and getting toasted. Some of the flaws in these players are easily hidden by the fact that there are studs next to them, in front of them, behind them, and sitting on the bench. All of them make plays.

This is a far cry from Bobby Bowden's Seminoles that routinely cranked out freakish talent that NFL teams rarely got a return on. There was a 10 year period where FSU had nearly a dozen uber talented DEs but the best of the lot was the least talented, Greg Spires. I had always felt that Bowden was one of the greatest recruiters in college football history, but also perhaps, one of the worst coaches.

On the other hand, you had UVa, not known at all for being a national power, that kept sending players to the pros and making a huge impact. I thought the difference in intelligence and fundamentals was a huge reason for this. Bowden's schemes were big on trying to emphasize and exploit his player's advantages in physical talent, then they'd get to the pros where the players were almost as or just as talented as they were... which did them no justice... while at UVa the schemes were to maximize the usage of talent and to outscheme, outsmart, and outwork the opponents. I think Stanford has taken the place of UVa in the latter categories. I'm not sure who, right now, would fit the bill in producing great athletes that don't necessarily become good NFLers (Oregon? USC? Spurrier still has difficulty producing NFL caliber offensive players)

Anyway, my point of this, is that I don't think Alabama has bad coaching from a fundamentals and intelligence standpoint, but I also don't think they're doing an exceptional job getting these incredibly athletic guys ready for the NFL. I look more towards schools where the NFL talent is lesser, but the coaching is excellent, and guys that have enough talent for the NFL, end up shining because they have a solid football intelligence (Stanford with later round or undrafted guys like CB Richard Sherman, WR Doug Baldwin, DE Thomas Keiser)

Iamcanadian 01-09-2013 01:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brasho (Post 3239232)
I would say, for the most part, they are technically proficient. Let's face it, these players at Alabama are, for the most part, athletic studs. There have been quite a few disappointments at the NFL level despite having the requisite talent (Rolando McClain, several OL and DL haven't lived up to billing, some DBs as well). Personally, as a Bucs fan, I was absolutely shocked at how terrible Mark Barron was in man to man coverage, lining up inside when playing a TE off the line and then reacting late to the outcut repeatedly and getting toasted. Some of the flaws in these players are easily hidden by the fact that there are studs next to them, in front of them, behind them, and sitting on the bench. All of them make plays.

This is a far cry from Bobby Bowden's Seminoles that routinely cranked out freakish talent that NFL teams rarely got a return on. There was a 10 year period where FSU had nearly a dozen uber talented DEs but the best of the lot was the least talented, Greg Spires. I had always felt that Bowden was one of the greatest recruiters in college football history, but also perhaps, one of the worst coaches.

On the other hand, you had UVa, not known at all for being a national power, that kept sending players to the pros and making a huge impact. I thought the difference in intelligence and fundamentals was a huge reason for this. Bowden's schemes were big on trying to emphasize and exploit his player's advantages in physical talent, then they'd get to the pros where the players were almost as or just as talented as they were... which did them no justice... while at UVa the schemes were to maximize the usage of talent and to outscheme, outsmart, and outwork the opponents. I think Stanford has taken the place of UVa in the latter categories. I'm not sure who, right now, would fit the bill in producing great athletes that don't necessarily become good NFLers (Oregon? USC? Spurrier still has difficulty producing NFL caliber offensive players)

Anyway, my point of this, is that I don't think Alabama has bad coaching from a fundamentals and intelligence standpoint, but I also don't think they're doing an exceptional job getting these incredibly athletic guys ready for the NFL. I look more towards schools where the NFL talent is lesser, but the coaching is excellent, and guys that have enough talent for the NFL, end up shining because they have a solid football intelligence (Stanford with later round or undrafted guys like CB Richard Sherman, WR Doug Baldwin, DE Thomas Keiser)

You have to be kidding, there are college HC's who are great recruiters but poor coaches, Stoops(Oklahoma), Brown(Texas) and Kiffin(USC) as current examples, then their are good HC's who can coach but aren't the greatest recruiters (Snyder)Kansas St. and finally, you have the college HC's who are great recruiters and excellent coaches of which Saban leads the nation by a mile. The fact that some of his draftees don't pan shows just how great a college HC he is. When 10 players get drafted every year from Alabama, of course some won't pan out but most do exceptionally well.

J52 01-09-2013 02:11 PM

It's not a stable. Mark Ingram is a bust. Richardson might end up getting better. Yeldon might be good. Richardson wasn't even that impressive this season. Let at least one of them turn into a capable starter before you talk about a "stable."

****, right now Florida Atlantic University has a better "stable of runningbacks" in the NFL. At least Alfred Morris has done something.

Iamcanadian 01-09-2013 02:23 PM

It looks more like Alabama will be called RB U, OL U, LB U, DB U, WR U, and DL U, you name it and they are going to produce talent there. That is how well Saban recruits and coaches.

JRTPlaya21 01-09-2013 02:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by J52 (Post 3239330)
It's not a stable. Mark Ingram is a bust. Richardson might end up getting better. Yeldon might be good. Richardson wasn't even that impressive this season. Let at least one of them turn into a capable starter before you talk about a "stable."

****, right now Florida Atlantic University has a better "stable of runningbacks" in the NFL. At least Alfred Morris has done something.

Trent broke Jim Browns rookie rushing record and TD record behind a line that isn't all that but I guess that doesn't count....

J52 01-09-2013 02:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRTPlaya21 (Post 3239357)
Trent broke Jim Browns rookie rushing record and TD record behind a line that isn't all that but I guess that doesn't count....

950 yards on a 3.6 average. Wahooo. Jim Brown didn't have too impressive of a rookie record either. The words "Jim Brown" don't make everything magical.

Iamcanadian 01-09-2013 02:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRTPlaya21 (Post 3239357)
Trent broke Jim Browns rookie rushing record and TD record behind a line that isn't all that but I guess that doesn't count....

I believe Brown played in the 12 game a season era, so really it isn't that impressive.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:31 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.