Draft Countdown Forums

Draft Countdown Forums (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/index.php)
-   2014 NFL Draft Forum (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=47)
-   -   What is Left of the OT Class? (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/showthread.php?t=55211)

JohnCandy 01-11-2013 12:35 PM

What is Left of the OT Class?

With the return to school of Taylor Lewan and Jake Matthews what does this OT class look like and what rounds are we going to see these guys in?

-Will some guys be pulled into the 1st round?

-Will this class just be 2 guys and question marks?

1. Luke Joekyl Top 10
2. Eric Fisher Top 15
3. Lane Johnson 1st round
4. D.J Fluker 1st/2nd
5. Oday Aboushi 2nd

TACKLE 01-11-2013 12:36 PM

Menelik Watson!

JohnCandy 01-11-2013 12:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TACKLE (Post 3241376)
Menelik Watson!

Interesting prospect but do you really think at 25 with his rough edges that he gets into the top 5 or the 1st round?

CashmoneyDrew 01-11-2013 12:41 PM

A team in need might take a chance on Dallas Thomas and try him at tackle and if that doesn't work, they'll still get a really good guard.

Babylon 01-11-2013 01:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JohnCandy (Post 3241375)
With the return to school of Taylor Lewan and Jake Matthews what does this OT class look like and what rounds are we going to see these guys in?

1. Luke Joekyl Top 10
2. Eric Fisher Top 15
4. D.J Fluker 1st/2nd
5. Oday Aboushi 2nd

Probably elevates a couple of guys like Kyle Long of Oregon and Justin Pugh of Syracuse provided they have good combines. I think it was already factored in that Matthews would stay in school but still scratching my head on Lewan, i think he's losing a pretty good chunk of money he won't be making up anytime soon.

My guess also is Fluker and Johnson are probably not dissapointed the guys you mentioned are staying.

JohnCandy 01-11-2013 01:38 PM

Does the evaluation of Fluker change?

SolidGold 01-11-2013 01:38 PM

Reid Fragel

Babylon 01-11-2013 01:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JohnCandy (Post 3241445)

Evaluation no. Supply and demand though says others are going to move up the ladder.

I like Fluker, probably a right side guy or even a guard but i like the nastiness he brings to the game.

SolidGold 01-11-2013 03:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JohnCandy (Post 3241445)

I wonder if Fluker has bigger titties than fellow Bama alumn Andre Smith :banana:

jrdrylie 01-11-2013 03:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolidGold (Post 3241534)
I wonder if Fluker has bigger titties than fellow Bama alumn Andre Smith :banana:

I wouldn't go that far. Andre Smith has bigger titties than AJ McCarron's mom.

Cigaro 01-11-2013 03:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JohnCandy (Post 3241375)

1. Luke Joekyl Top 10
2. Eric Fisher Top 15
4. D.J Fluker 1st/2nd
5. Oday Aboushi 2nd

The class went from really good to average. That being said, OT is a a high value position, so I do think you are going to see guys like Fluker move up into the first.

Quote:

Originally Posted by CashmoneyDrew (Post 3241381)
A team in need might take a chance on Dallas Thomas and try him at tackle and if that doesn't work, they'll still get a really good guard.

From my memory, Dallas Thomas was solid as a tackle for Tennessee. I could definitely see a team trying him out there.

JohnCandy 01-11-2013 04:45 PM

If the Bears pick Fluker at 20 would that shock people?

I see the 3rd OT really being targeted by the Bears.

TACKLE 01-11-2013 04:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JohnCandy (Post 3241606)

It wouldn't shock me at all (not speaking about the Bears specifically, more so him being a potential top 20 pick). There is still a market for massive, freak athletes with dominant film. He is really one of the most powerful run blockers I can remember in years. I think he'll test/time a lot better than expected (fwiw he apparently ran a 4.9 coming out of HS at 350). He does have 'heavy feet' but from that big base is also where he gets his power from. He's got really impressive flexibility for a guy who's as a big as he is and is pretty much un-bullrushable. Wide angle, pure speed guys will give him some problems but he did a very nice job vs. Mingo and from what I recall had a solid game vs. Moore as well. In theory, he is a RT only but some teams don't distinguish as much between LT and RT as much as fans do.

I think the question you have to ask with Fluker is this: a lot of the time he is dominant in both the run and pass game. It happened in college and it's going to happen in the pros where the pass rusher gets a good get off and he isn't quick enough and gives up a sack/pressure. Fluker is a guy who decisively wins a lot in both the pass game and especially the run game. How many decisive losses are you willing to take if you know a guy decisively win (dominate) a large portion of his other reps?

descendency 01-11-2013 06:12 PM

Quote:

"Who are the Bears first and second OT?" -Jay Cutler

rawdawg 01-11-2013 06:19 PM

Quote:

I actually don't see the Bears going the draft route at OT. They've been burned by their last 2 first round OTs (Williams, Carimi so far). Not that that should matter, but I think Emery will go hard after a LT in free agency. The Bears OL needs to be fixed in a hurry and I don't think throwing a rookie picked #20 (aka not a blue chipper like Kalil last year) in there at LT will solve all their problems as fast as they want/need. Especially when you are talking about the 20th pick possibly being a player from a mid-major (Fisher), a guy that was a TE and DE just 2 years ago (Johnson), and a guy that looks to be a RT at best (Fluker).

JohnCandy 01-11-2013 06:31 PM

You have the choice of the following 4 OTs who are you taking and why?

DJ Fluker
Lane Johnson
Oday Aboushi
Justin Pugh

Witten4HOF 01-11-2013 06:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolidGold (Post 3241446)
Reid Fragel

Fragel is no Jason Peters just yet he needs a lot of coaching and at least a year in a strength and conditioning program to be ready to compete at the next level. He is an interesting developmental guy with that raw athleticism and frame to pack muscle on to.

Scott Wright 01-11-2013 07:45 PM

Even without Lewan and Mathews this is still a very good crop of OT's.

Joeckel, Fisher, Johnson, Long, Williams, Thomas, Aboushi, Fragel, Watson, etc.

Could easily throw another half dozen names on that list.

Babylon 01-11-2013 08:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JohnCandy (Post 3241688)

DJ Fluker
Lane Johnson
Oday Aboushi
Justin Pugh

LT- Johnson, Best athlete of the group. Nate Solder type.
RT- Fluker, Big Road grader, could probably even play guard.

Miaoww 01-12-2013 08:19 AM

Quote:

DJ Fluker
Lane Johnson
Oday Aboushi
Justin Pugh

Oday Aboushi. I think he's the most athletic of the group and has the best chance to be an elite LT in the NFL. The fact his college has produced a few very good OTs helps too.

foozball 01-12-2013 09:38 AM

Thoughts on Brian Winters from Kent St?

ChiFan24 01-12-2013 09:38 AM

I want Eric Fisher, and this pretty much ensures the Bears have no chance at him. I'd look at Fluker as a RT/OG.

Abaddon 01-12-2013 09:43 AM

If KC doesn't do the smart thing and take Joeckel, someone might have themselves a nice piece of trade bait. The gap between he and the remaining crop is fairly sizable.

SolidGold 01-12-2013 10:23 AM

Quote:

DJ Fluker
Lane Johnson
Oday Aboushi
Justin Pugh

I like Pugh alot. His impact on the Syracuse offense was pretty amazing this year. He missed the first four games of the year and once he was back in the lineup. Just seems like a real mauler type.

Lane Johnson due to his athletic ability and upside would be my second choice out of these guys.

Babylon 01-12-2013 01:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolidGold (Post 3242045)
I like Pugh alot. His impact on the Syracuse offense was pretty amazing this year. He missed the first four games of the year and once he was back in the lineup. Just seems like a real mauler type.

Lane Johnson due to his athletic ability and upside would be my second choice out of these guys.

It'll be interesting to see if a team like the Rams, who need help at tackle, decide to go with some playmakers in the first and come back in the second or third and grab a talented guy like Pugh, i would.