Draft Countdown Forums

Draft Countdown Forums (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/index.php)
-   Pro Football (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=44)
-   -   OL Breakdown: Zone Block vs Man Block (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/showthread.php?t=55361)

D-Unit 01-23-2013 03:35 PM

OL Breakdown: Zone Block vs Man Block

Which teams run the ZB scheme and which ones run the more traditional Man Block?

bigbluedefense 01-23-2013 04:25 PM

Most teams run both. It's just a matter of who runs more of 1 over the other.

It's just like asking which teams run man vs zone defense. Everyone runs both, but some will run more zone concepts than man or vice versa.

bigbluedefense 01-23-2013 04:26 PM

The reasoning for that is simple. When defensive coordinators design their blitzes and pass rush concepts for their opponent that week, they attack the blocking scheme that the OL uses.

So if you just used 1 type of blocking scheme, you become predictable and it becomes easy for them to attack your protections.

TACKLE 01-23-2013 04:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigbluedefense (Post 3254666)
Most teams run both. It's just a matter of who runs more of 1 over the other.

It's just like asking which teams run man vs zone defense. Everyone runs both, but some will run more zone concepts than man or vice versa.

This though inside zone is the base run play for basically every team in the league.

D-Unit 01-23-2013 06:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigbluedefense (Post 3254668)
The reasoning for that is simple. When defensive coordinators design their blitzes and pass rush concepts for their opponent that week, they attack the blocking scheme that the OL uses.

So if you just used 1 type of blocking scheme, you become predictable and it becomes easy for them to attack your protections.

Yeah, but some teams use one heavily over another... right?

My purpose was to try to get an idea of which teams in the draft would lean more heavily towards OL prospects who were labeled "better ZBS linemen" vs your traditional beef cakes.

descendency 01-23-2013 06:39 PM

Just find a list of OL weights. The lower the average weight, the more zone they run. The higher, the more man.

FUNBUNCHER 01-23-2013 07:03 PM

I think the SKins run ZBS exclusively.

bigbluedefense 01-23-2013 09:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by D-Unit (Post 3254792)
Yeah, but some teams use one heavily over another... right?

My purpose was to try to get an idea of which teams in the draft would lean more heavily towards OL prospects who were labeled "better ZBS linemen" vs your traditional beef cakes.

That won't necessarily get you anywhere. Shanny drafted Trent Williams. Good OL prospects can play any system. Just like a good CB prospect.

And if you're trying to predict where guys will fall in rounds 3 and beyond, good luck. There's no way you can predict that.

One team can peg a guy a 3rd round pick and another team can view the same player as a 5th rounder. At that point in the draft its all a shitshow.

JustisM 01-25-2013 04:18 AM

Packers only use ZBS

katnip 01-25-2013 12:09 PM

I don't notice the O-Line play much. But I was reading Sparano last year got the Jets running a man-blocking scheme last year.

killxswitch 01-25-2013 12:29 PM

The Colts are bulking the OL up and will continue to move to more of a power man scheme.

mightytitan9 01-25-2013 04:06 PM

Most run both and it's hard to tell who will go where based on that.

Most people projected Brandon Brooks the 6'5" 355 pound OL from Miami Ohio to go to a power running team, but he was drafted to the Houston Texans who run almost exclusively ZBS

TACKLE 01-25-2013 04:28 PM

If an O-Lineman is too slow to make the block on the backside of zone, he's useless for every team.