Draft Countdown Forums

Draft Countdown Forums (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/index.php)
-   Pro Football (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=44)
-   -   Jets have outdone themselves this time (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/showthread.php?t=55435)

SolidGold 01-29-2013 12:40 AM

Jets have outdone themselves this time

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...sell/#comments

I don't care if he does not even sign with them. For the Jets to even have this conversation is an absolute joke.

Ness 01-29-2013 12:42 AM

Azhais 01-29-2013 12:44 AM

They're also looking at Vick and Jeff George

Should be a party

Menardo75 01-29-2013 12:44 AM

What would be more epic Russell vs. Sanchez in a QB battle or Gabbart vs. Tebow hmmmm (Before anyone says it I know Tebow isn't going to the Jags).

Monomach 01-29-2013 01:18 AM

All I'm getting here is that they talked about him at some point; it's not like they sat down and started planning on building an offense around him. It could have been as simple as "Do we want to bring in that fat slob and use him as a camp arm? No? Ok." Every team in the league should dedicate a few minutes to discussing the possibility of letting big-name busts have a tryout. Sometimes you get good things out of those guys.

This was smart. I don't see the big deal. :neutral:

bigbuc 01-29-2013 01:28 AM

I don't see why it's that funny. Sign him to a vet minimum contract see what he has... Worst it costs you 40,000 bucks. I don't think he'll ever be good... But everyone loves a come back

Brothgar 01-29-2013 01:40 AM

I actually like the move. Desperate high upside QB with a rocket arm is willing to come into camp for a thousand bucks the QB situation is bad and the cap situation is worse. Worst case scenario you lost 1000 bucks that doesn't even count against your cap and a single roster spot out of the 80 you bring into camp. Best case you have a Starting QB making league minimum. I like the risk reward this offers.

Donno 01-29-2013 01:59 AM

The saddest part is he might win the job!

49erNation85 01-29-2013 02:24 AM

you are o dumb jets damn!

bigbuc 01-29-2013 02:40 AM

After thinking about it. Yes he's worth the look I've said that already. But what if he turns out to be a little more how he played in college? Could you really make this guy the starting QB of your football team? Build a team around him? I don't think so. So in that case it's almost wasting your time.

Monomach 01-29-2013 02:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigbuc (Post 3258979)
After thinking about it. Yes he's worth the look I've said that already. But what if he turns out to be a little more how he played in college? Could you really make this guy the starting QB of your football team? Build a team around him? I don't think so. So in that case it's almost wasting your time.

If he looks the way he looked in college AND won a competition for the job, sure...you could make him your starter. Remember, winning fixes everything; even murder.

Scotty D 01-29-2013 03:09 AM

No, just no. Only a joke of a franchise would consider this. He ate himself out of the league once already. Dumb as a box of rocks with a terrible work ethic. He isn't even under 300 lbs. I'd give any UDFA QB a try out over this guy.

YAYareaRB 01-29-2013 03:13 AM

they just want more reasons to start mark sanchez without actually upgrading the position.

i hope he makes it and wins.

Razor 01-29-2013 03:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scotty D (Post 3258985)
No, just no. Only a joke of a franchise would consider this. He ate himself out of the league once already. Dumb as a box of rocks with a terrible work ethic. He isn't even under 300 lbs. I'd give any UDFA QB a try out over this guy.

I think you nailed it. But please, please let him sign with the Jets. That would totally make my year.

Brothgar 01-29-2013 03:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scotty D (Post 3258985)

He has supposedly slimmed down according to the article. I still say its worth a camp body.

YAYareaRB 01-29-2013 03:43 AM

i actually wanna see the guy succeed. i was a fan of his at LSU and was sad to see him squander his opportunity. we'll see what happens

Azhais 01-29-2013 04:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brothgar (Post 3258992)
He has supposedly slimmed down according to the article. I still say its worth a camp body.

He's slimmed down to 305 from like 330. We've finally found someone that benefited from Hostess going out of business.

If he keeps his workouts going he might be worth a tryout, but be damn hard to trust the guy after last time.

descendency 01-29-2013 04:28 AM

I don't know what you guys are smoking.

I'd give him a workout every off season until he's 40. Even if he doesn't make the team, he still has more natural talent than anyone you will find in this draft or the next few.

The guy will eventually grow up and realize he has missed out on so much money... then he'll start working really hard.

AntoinCD 01-29-2013 04:31 AM

He apparently had trouble losing 12lbs when he was allegedly 320lbs. If you can't lose weight when you are mounting your comeback then how can your work ethic be taken seriously? He needs to lose about 60 or 70lbs before being anywhere near decent shape. If he can't lose 12 I don't see how he loses another 50 by training camp

Caulibflower 01-29-2013 04:49 AM

I would love to see JaMarcus Russell throwing it to Mike Williams.

Abaddon 01-29-2013 05:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by descendency (Post 3259001)
The guy will eventually grow up and realize he has missed out on so much money... then he'll start working really hard.

lolno

He's a fat, lazy, junkie slob. There's no waking up from that. There's wishing you could, but your default setting of fat, lazy, junkie slob will always win in the end.

Monomach 01-29-2013 05:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Abaddon (Post 3259010)
lolno

He's a fat, lazy, junkie slob. There's no waking up from that. There's wishing you could, but your default setting of fat, lazy, junkie slob will always win in the end.

...said everyone about Mike Williams before the 2010 season.

I think JaFatass is a mental midget. I've been more consistent in that opinion that just about anyone. I've been screaming it from the rooftops since prior to the 07 draft.

But there are so many overreactions here.

Bringing in busts or supposed has-beens who've stunk it up in other cities for the smallest amount of money possible in the offseason to try out/compete for a job is very smart football. It's a zero-risk proposition that has a chance of paying off to an unknown degree...sometimes you get nothing, sometimes you get a guy who is a good part of a rotation, sometimes you get one year of good play, sometimes you hit the jackpot and get multiple Pro Bowls.

Marshawn Lynch? Kurt Warner? Reggie Bush? Tim Jennings? Amobi Okoye? Brett Favre? Jason Babin? Kevin Curtis? Bryant McKinnie? Michael Vick? Rich Gannon? Jonathan Goodwin? Aaron Maybin? Evan Mathis?

We can name guys who looked like washed-up retreads or giant busts that ended up contributing to some degree all day.

This isn't a press release about the Jets signing Russell and declaring him the starter. This is an anonymous source saying that they've talked about him. 31 other teams have undoubtedly talked about him, too...it's just that no one has mentioned them.

Abaddon 01-29-2013 06:18 AM

Those 31 other teams that talked about him concluded their comment with a pause...and a "I'm just kidding! I really had you guys going, didn't I?"

Abaddon 01-29-2013 06:21 AM

And where is Mike Williams now? Made himself a little party money and fell off again. Returned to his default setting, per my previous point.

farfromforgotten 01-29-2013 06:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by descendency (Post 3259001)
I'd give him a workout every off season until he's 40. Even if he doesn't make the team, he still has more natural talent than anyone you will find in this draft or the next few.

I guess "eating" would be considered a "natural talent".

Quote:

Enjoy your wait for that, sir.