Draft Countdown Forums

Draft Countdown Forums (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/index.php)
-   Pro Football (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=44)
-   -   Rulings on late hits out of bounds. (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/showthread.php?t=55572)

Ness 02-06-2013 09:49 PM

Rulings on late hits out of bounds.

Curious. I'm debating with someone regarding a play in the Super Bowl. This play actually.

I thought it could have been considered a late hate on Flacco which would have given the Ravens a first down. The person I'm debating with told me that there is no way it's a late hit because you have to have both feet out of bounds for it to be considered "late". I don't remember an exact ruling on that and couldn't find it in the rulings book. I thought once your foot is out of bounds you are out of bounds. Same reason why a catch is considered out of bounds once you have one foot in the boundary.

Does anyone know for certain?

brat316 02-06-2013 09:57 PM

I think the refs were not playing by strict rules all game.

Usually it would have been.

wogitalia 02-07-2013 12:08 AM

Yeah I thought he was very lucky to get away with that, hit a QB after the throw and out of bounds so basically broke two rules and was very lucky with the way they call it these days.

Whether I think it should be a flag is an entirely different story!

mightytitan9 02-07-2013 12:35 AM

Yup, when watching it I said they definitely got away with one there.

PoopSandwich 02-07-2013 06:28 AM

Pretty sure once the foot is down you're out of bounds, making this play not a late hit.

Ness 02-07-2013 06:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WinslowBodden (Post 3268062)
Pretty sure once the foot is down you're out of bounds, making this play not a late hit.

Well it looks like Sopoaga uses actual force to shove Flacco once his foot is out of bounds hitting the white paint. While his foot was still in the air Sopoaga was on him, but had yet to extend his arms.

CJSchneider 02-07-2013 06:53 AM

http://static.nfl.com/static/content...ule%20Book.pdf

Look up rule 3.21.1

CJSchneider 02-07-2013 07:03 AM

Looking over that definition, and being very technical, you may not get him on a late hit or a hit out of bounds.

mightytitan9 02-07-2013 11:25 AM

Is there a place to watch the play at full speed?

I think refs are gonna call that on a QB 75% of the time.

descendency 02-07-2013 11:27 AM

If it's a QB that isn't trying to make a play, that's a late hit. I think because Flacco is still trying to throw the ball up field, that it isn't a late hit.

Trogdor 02-07-2013 11:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by descendency (Post 3268234)
If it's a QB that isn't trying to make a play, that's a late hit. I think because Flacco is still trying to throw the ball up field, that it isn't a late hit.

This. Flacco would of drawn a flag if he was running out of bounds but because he made the effort to throw it wasn't, and won't, be called.

wicket 02-07-2013 11:44 AM

i think the refs usually call it but since flacco hadnt touched oob yet i also think the refs are usually wrong in calling it

robert pancake gallery 02-07-2013 02:22 PM

personally i don't care what verbiage they haphazardly use to define whether or not it is a "late hit", intent should factor in when considering an event driven by a players momentum in a sport where the objective is to tackle the player holding the football; it may seem stupid to want to rule on a subjective scale, but then again football is a game not a math problem. consistent or not, i'd rather just see the refs use their best judgment and watch people get outraged when they **** up.

Bucs_Rule 02-09-2013 09:58 AM

A defender is allowed a step after the ball is thrown to hit the QB. When he started to lunge at Flacco, Flacco wasn't out of bounds. The defender had too much momentum not to make contact even if he tried.

The defender didn't have to extend his arms when he made contact and shove Flacco to the ground. For that reason it is a foul.

holt_bruce81 02-09-2013 03:43 PM

In my opinion, it's not a late hit.

brat316 02-09-2013 04:16 PM

IMO its not a late it.

In the NFL's opinion, its a late hit in the regular season, playoffs and if you are an important Qb.

nikkayeah 02-10-2013 12:56 AM

the hit and the foot stepping oob was almost simultaneous

descendency 02-10-2013 01:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nikkayeah (Post 3270482)
the hit and the foot stepping oob was almost simultaneous

The important part here is not when the actual contact is made but when the "hit" starts. He's preparing to hit Flacco before Flacco has even thrown the ball. Once that happens, there is no stopping the hit and since Flacco is still in the act of trying to throw the ball, the player has to be allowed to hit him.

ph90702 02-10-2013 02:24 PM

No way that should be a late hit if that is technically a late hit.