Draft Countdown Forums

Draft Countdown Forums (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/index.php)
-   Off Topic (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=46)
-   -   No more Olympic Wrestling (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/showthread.php?t=55623)

MaxV 02-12-2013 10:30 AM

No more Olympic Wrestling
 
This is an idiotic decision imo.

http://espn.go.com/olympics/wrestlin...-2020-olympics

Raiderz4Life 02-12-2013 10:35 AM

That's ******* stupid.

jrdrylie 02-12-2013 10:39 AM

That is stupid. Wasn't wrestling one of the original sports the Greeks did in the first Olympics? Of course, they did it naked, but still. If they were going to get rid of a righting sport, why not Taekwando?

CJSchneider 02-12-2013 10:42 AM

First baseball, now wrestling. WTF, olympics?

WCH 02-12-2013 10:44 AM

Yet, Ping Pong remains...

CashmoneyDrew 02-12-2013 10:59 AM

I think this conspiracy goes straight to the top.

And has everything to do with this video:

iowatreat54 02-12-2013 12:12 PM

What a joke. Wrestling is an original Olympic sport, and it's not like barely anyone competes in it.

Also, does each sport's governing body have a member on the IOC? It doesn't make sense that a sport being voted on for removal should be allowed a vote, which apparently the Modern Pentathlon was.

Trogdor 02-12-2013 12:17 PM

Almighty dollar rules supreme. They even said that quite a few of the major criterion were income generation. Wrestling was among the LEAST popular sports and field a lower TV rating than the majority of events.

From a functional prospective it's hilarious. The Olympics were wrestling, track, and field. Period.

diabsoule 02-12-2013 12:47 PM

This is a ******* travesty. Baseball, one of the more popular sports, was cut and now wrestling, one of the original Olympic sports.

It was also one of the few events I enjoyed watching.

jrdrylie 02-12-2013 12:48 PM

I find it hard to believe more people watch skeet shooting than wrestling.

SuperPacker 02-12-2013 12:50 PM

I watched the skeet shooting. A GB athlete won gold, it was awesome and tense!

jrdrylie 02-12-2013 12:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SuperPacker (Post 3272233)
I watched the skeet shooting. A GB athlete won gold, it was awesome and tense!

I wouldn't call a skeet shooter an athlete per se.

iowatreat54 02-12-2013 01:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jrdrylie (Post 3272236)
I wouldn't call a skeet shooter an athlete per se.

I would not call a skeet shooter an athlete in any sense of the definition of athlete, but that's a whole other argument.

The fact that wrestling has now been relegated to the same level as "Roller Sports" is hilarious. This isn't the ******* X Games, have some integrity IOC.

As a side, I barely even watch wrestling or care if the US wins in it or not. But I certainly would rather watch it over some more ridiculous "sports".

zachsaints52 02-12-2013 01:27 PM

At least we have speed walking right? This is bullcrap.

CJSchneider 02-12-2013 01:31 PM

Next thing you know, they are going to take curling away from us.

jrdrylie 02-12-2013 01:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CJSchneider (Post 3272281)
Next thing you know, they are going to take curling away from us.

If they get rid of curling, I'm going to go ape ****. Some of those female curlers are fine. Have you seen the nude pics of the girls from the Denmark team?

MaxV 02-12-2013 01:49 PM

I doubt that they would get rid of a winter sport. There are very few of them.

They are a lot of summer sports and they want to add more. It's just it shouldn't have been at an expense of one of the "original" events.

iowatreat54 02-12-2013 02:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CJSchneider (Post 3272281)
Next thing you know, they are going to take curling away from us.

Whoa, whooooaa...my blood pressuer is already up from this, don't go saying things that will make me want to burn this mother down. Curling is all that is good in the world, to do away with it would be a slap in the face to the almighty flying spaghetti monster in the sky.

MaxV 02-12-2013 02:10 PM

From the article.

Quote:

Golf and rugby will be joining the program at the 2016 Games in Rio de Janeiro.
Golf? Seriously?

Now, I'm not trying to put down Golf or those that play it (eventhough I don't view it as a Sport), but it should not be replacing Wrestling.

CJSchneider 02-12-2013 02:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jrdrylie (Post 3272288)
If they get rid of curling, I'm going to go ape ****. Some of those female curlers are fine. Have you seen the nude pics of the girls from the Denmark team?

Actually, I haven't, but umm.....you could PM me a link.

jrdrylie 02-12-2013 02:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CJSchneider (Post 3272326)
Actually, I haven't, but umm.....you could PM me a link.

They aren't bad. I can't give you the link because I am at work. But I can tell you that her name is Madeleine Dupont and you can Google her.

killxswitch 02-12-2013 02:35 PM

So wait, ballroom dancing gets to stay, but one of the ORIGINAL OLYMPIC SPORTS is getting the axe? This will be bad for collegiate wrestling, too. This is ********.

Don Vito 02-12-2013 02:37 PM

So dumb but I am not surprised, they can say whatever they want but it is probably because it is "too violent" or something. Of all the events in the Olympics they decide to axe wrestling. I watched a guy **** his pants powerwalking in the last Olympics. The pussification continues.

jrdrylie 02-12-2013 02:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by killxswitch (Post 3272356)
So wait, ballroom dancing gets to stay, but one of the ORIGINAL OLYMPIC SPORTS is getting the axe? This will be bad for collegiate wrestling, too. This is ********.

I don't think ballroom dancing is an acutal Olympic Sport. It's recognized, but it is not in the Olympics. You know what are olympic sports:

Trampoline Jumping
Dressage (yeah, not even jumping. Just a horse prancing around like he gives exactly zero *****)
Badminton
Ping Pong

Pretty soon they'll replace swimming with XBox, track and field with hopscotch, and basketball with jump rope.

killxswitch 02-12-2013 03:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jrdrylie (Post 3272368)
I don't think ballroom dancing is an acutal Olympic Sport. It's recognized, but it is not in the Olympics. You know what are olympic sports:

Trampoline Jumping
Dressage (yeah, not even jumping. Just a horse prancing around like he gives exactly zero *****)
Badminton
Ping Pong

Pretty soon they'll replace swimming with XBox, track and field with hopscotch, and basketball with jump rope.

Huh. I thought it was a big thing that it had become a competitive sport, but a quick Google shows I am wrong. Still, this is stupid.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:10 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.