Draft Countdown Forums

Draft Countdown Forums (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/index.php)
-   2014 NFL Draft Forum (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=47)
-   -   William Gholston - DE - Michigan State (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/showthread.php?t=55674)

killxswitch 02-18-2013 09:54 AM

William Gholston - DE - Michigan State
 
6'7, 278 lbs. 59 tackles, 11 TFLs, and 4.5 sacks as a junior. No significant injury history.

Is his future at 4-3 DE, or can and should he bulk a bit (10 lbs?) and play 5 tech? It would seem 3-4 OLB is out of the question. I'm digging his measurables and actually like the way he plays angry. Seems like he wouldn't just give up on football like his brother. Anyone watch him closely this season?

edit: by brother I actually mean cousin.

princefielder28 02-18-2013 10:38 AM

Gholston isn't much of a pass rusher, but he does fairly well against the run. His best fit is likely as a 3-4 end.

Nastradamus 02-18-2013 10:58 AM

He might grow into a 3-4 DE, but I still feel like he's a 4-3 guy, an LDE who slides inside on passing downs if on the field. I don't think he'd be at his best at 290-300 lbs, which he'd need to be as a 3-4 guy.

Bobby Layne 02-18-2013 11:37 AM

Vernon is his cousin and he played OLB in HS (was on the same team as Jonathan Hankins for those who don’t know), and started off his career there before moving to DE midway through his FR year at MSU. I think his best fit would probably be LDE or SDE in a 4-3 but DE in a 3-4 wouldn’t be a horrible fit. He was overrated at the beginning of the year but I now I feel like he’s being a bit underrated.

He should make some money at the combine.

diabsoule 02-18-2013 09:22 PM

He can be a run stopping 4-3 DE that won't have much potential or he can be a 5 tech and have a little more potential there. That's basically where I'm at on him right now.

SickwithIt1010 02-18-2013 09:36 PM

I see him at 3-4 end.

Spartan4224 02-19-2013 07:25 AM

Gholston
 
He's not strong enough at this point to play DT or end in a 3-4. Go back and watch the Outback Bowl against Georgia. He has the upside and ability of Clowney he just needs to find the passion to play like him. Most likely he will end up being a 290 lbs 4-3 DE in the pros with the ability to get 6-10 sacks a year.

FUNBUNCHER 02-19-2013 07:45 AM

Gholston is nowhere near as athletic or skilled as Clowney. Just a bad comparison.

He looks like a strongside 43 DE. But I still think he should gain about 15# and play 5 tech.

Iamcanadian 02-19-2013 09:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spartan4224 (Post 3276519)
He's not strong enough at this point to play DT or end in a 3-4. Go back and watch the Outback Bowl against Georgia. He has the upside and ability of Clowney he just needs to find the passion to play like him. Most likely he will end up being a 290 lbs 4-3 DE in the pros with the ability to get 6-10 sacks a year.

I think this is a pretty decent description of Gholston, he has an immense upside if he ever decides to use his abilities to their fullest.

Bobby Layne 02-19-2013 12:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spartan4224 (Post 3276519)
He's not strong enough at this point to play DT or end in a 3-4. Go back and watch the Outback Bowl against Georgia. He has the upside and ability of Clowney he just needs to find the passion to play like him. Most likely he will end up being a 290 lbs 4-3 DE in the pros with the ability to get 6-10 sacks a year.

Hes not Clowney. His best comparison right now is probably Carlos Dunlap. Hell probably get drafted around the same time that Carlos did as well.

Spartan4224 02-19-2013 12:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FUNBUNCHER (Post 3276522)
Gholston is nowhere near as athletic or skilled as Clowney. Just a bad comparison.

He looks like a strongside 43 DE. But I still think he should gain about 15# and play 5 tech.

Go back and watch the Outback Bowl from his soph year and get back with me. If he played like that every game Clowney would be compared to him next year. Unfortunately he never full filled his potential while at MSU. Coming out of high school he was a 6'7'' 260 lbs 5 star linebacker. And Dantonio gave him the choice to stay there but let him know his best position would be DE. If he plays in a 3-4 it will be initially as a OLB until he can improve his strength. He is a lot better in space then in the trenches at this point in his career.

stlouisfan37 02-19-2013 12:28 PM

I agree. No one has the upside and athleticism of Clowney. If he did we would be talking about him in the top 5.

Spartan4224 02-19-2013 12:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bobby Layne (Post 3276638)
Hes not Clowney. His best comparison right now is probably Carlos Dunlap. Hell probably get drafted around the same time that Carlos did as well.

Not saying he is Clowney but he has the ability to be like Clowney. Will he ever realize it, only time will tell.

Witten4HOF 02-19-2013 12:31 PM

He reminds me a lot of Calais Campbell coming out, he has a great combination of size and athleticism but really hasn't put it all together yet. I think he starts his career as a base end in the 4-3 and has the growth potential to become a 5-tech down the road.

stlouisfan37 02-19-2013 12:58 PM

When do you guys see him being drafted? 2/3?

wicket 02-19-2013 02:03 PM

carlos dunlap is probably the best comparison. both ironically also had better sophomore years than junior years but i really believe Gholston has the ability (skillwise) to be a pro bowler. Im actually not that worried about his drive either, but he seems out of control at times and doesnt play very smart

Spartan4224 02-19-2013 02:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stlouisfan37 (Post 3276669)
When do you guys see him being drafted? 2/3?

At this point I would say 3rd but that big word potential could come into play and he could go in the top half of the 2nd. Personally, I think both Bell and Sims for MSU are better prospects but Gholston has more upside.

FUNBUNCHER 02-19-2013 02:22 PM

I don't like the comparisons to Carlos Dunlap or Clowney for Gholston because those guys have speed and foot quickness that Gholston doesn't.

Calais Campbell is probably the player Gholston has the most in common.

princefielder28 02-19-2013 02:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spartan4224 (Post 3276740)
At this point I would say 3rd but that big word potential could come into play and he could go in the top half of the 2nd. Personally, I think both Bell and Sims for MSU are better prospects but Gholston has more upside.

He is nowhere near a top half of the second round player, even on potential...I'll be surprised if he goes in the first three rounds

P-L 02-19-2013 03:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spartan4224 (Post 3276644)
Go back and watch the Outback Bowl from his soph year and get back with me. If he played like that every game Clowney would be compared to him next year. Unfortunately he never full filled his potential while at MSU. Coming out of high school he was a 6'7'' 260 lbs 5 star linebacker. And Dantonio gave him the choice to stay there but let him know his best position would be DE. If he plays in a 3-4 it will be initially as a OLB until he can improve his strength. He is a lot better in space then in the trenches at this point in his career.

You mean go back to the only game in his career that he did anything? You can point to one game and say he can be like Clowney. I can point to 35 games and say he can't. His game against Georgia was ridiculous, but he's shown nothing else in his career to indicate that he is capable of consistently replicating that performance.

wicket 02-19-2013 03:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by P-L (Post 3276811)
You mean go back to the only game in his career that he did anything? You can point to one game and say he can be like Clowney. I can point to 35 games and say he can't. His game against Georgia was ridiculous, but he's shown nothing else in his career to indicate that he is capable of consistently replicating that performance.

the game against yall that year he was pretty special as well (when he wasnt doing crazy PFs)

BallerT1215 02-20-2013 09:10 PM

Very disappointed in his play this year.

Maybe he relied on Worthy more than we thought last year.


That being said, still think he is worth a 3rd round flier.

Robcards 02-21-2013 01:51 AM

He'll likely end up going higher than expected as he has the ideal size and can play 5tech in a 3-4 I could see a team transitioning to the 3-4 like the browns taking him early 3rd for sure.

mriforgot 02-21-2013 02:15 AM

Of the three juniors that left MSU this year (Bell, Sims, Gholston), he's the one who could have benefited by staying his senior year. His entire college career, he's never shown the drive to be the dominating player that he could have been, and I question whether he'll be able to turn it on at the NFL level. Of the three juniors, he could be the best of the three, or he could be out of football in three years.

Iamcanadian 02-21-2013 11:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by princefielder28 (Post 3276793)
He is nowhere near a top half of the second round player, even on potential...I'll be surprised if he goes in the first three rounds

It wouldn't surprise me if he goes high round 2 if he shines at the Combine. Juniors get to really show their stuff at the Combine and can make dramatic climb on draft boards.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:33 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.