Draft Countdown Forums

Draft Countdown Forums (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/index.php)
-   Pro Football (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=44)
-   -   Calvin Johnson Sets NFL Receiving Record (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/showthread.php?t=55708)

BallerT1215 02-21-2013 04:28 PM

Calvin Johnson Sets NFL Receiving Record

With 2 broken fingers and concussion symptoms towards end of year...

Sweet baby jesus - This guy is going to be the GOAT in the end.

mightytitan9 02-21-2013 04:31 PM

eh a professional athlete should be able to play with a couple broken fingers

K Train 02-21-2013 04:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mightytitan9 (Post 3278672)
eh a professional athlete should be able to play with a couple broken fingers

professional athlete is pretty vague, but a 90 mph fast ball coming from staffod to those fingers isnt something to just brush off as business as usual if they are broken, that can be a real *****. Calvin and Dez were in beast most at the end of the year with busted up fingers...nice to see

And yes, calvin will be the GOAT when its said and done. Out of GT he was an incredible prospect, he produced big with ****** QBs, but with a good QB he has taken his game to another level

BallerT1215 02-21-2013 04:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by K Train (Post 3278679)
professional athlete is pretty vague, but a 90 mph fast ball coming from staffod to those fingers isnt something to just brush off as business as usual if they are broken, that can be a real *****. Calvin and Dez were in beast most at the end of the year with busted up fingers...nice to see

And yes, calvin will be the GOAT when its said and done. Out of GT he was an incredible prospect, he produced big with ****** QBs, but with a good QB he has taken his game to another level

agreed - catching heaters from stafford isn't exactly the easiest with 2 broken fingers....

and yes, DEZ was beasting it as well by the end of the year.

prock 02-21-2013 04:55 PM

AD had a hernia.

BallerT1215 02-21-2013 04:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by prock (Post 3278704)
AD had a hernia.

AD is also a robot so disqualified.

BallerT1215 02-21-2013 04:59 PM

And to also as a CJ/Stafford Owner in fantasy - i watched an abnormally high rate of lions games (for a bills fan)...

And i dont care what he says - CJ played through a concussion those 1-2 games...he was knocked out and then shaking his head a ton during the game that it happened but kept playing....possibly stupid on his part for future but still a beast.

mightytitan9 02-21-2013 05:44 PM

Beasting it is having your finger cut off to still play, sorry but playing with broken fingers does not qualify in my book.

Raiderz4Life 02-21-2013 07:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mightytitan9 (Post 3278753)
Beasting it is having your finger cut off to still play, sorry but playing with broken fingers does not qualify in my book.

:facepalm:

not much else there is to say to that.

bigbluedefense 02-21-2013 08:21 PM

This is actually fairly common. Its only being advertised bc of the accomplishment, but WRs play with broken fingers all the time.

BallerT1215 02-21-2013 08:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigbluedefense (Post 3278861)
This is actually fairly common. Its only being advertised bc of the accomplishment, but WRs play with broken fingers all the time.

I would say dislocations are more common than broken fingers.

bucfan12 02-21-2013 08:35 PM

A lot of players play with injuries. We all know megatron is a freak. So it's not surprising.

thebow305 02-21-2013 09:02 PM

This pic made my day. lol.

PoopSandwich 02-21-2013 09:29 PM

Didn't make playoffs, madden curse.

BallerT1215 02-21-2013 09:34 PM

Look at highlights and note the coverage he was facing while playing with injuries....

literally teams stopped disguising it by week 8...numerous times i saw 2 cbs lined up across from him and the safety 10-15 yds back...

Prime Time 02-21-2013 09:40 PM

Not trying to take anything away from Calvin, but let's be real here.. He got most of his yards in garbage time when the Lions were getting destroyed every game and had to pass. If Jerry Rice wasn't on such a great team that blew teams out midway through the 3rd quarter, I bet you his stats would be padded way more but they weren't, because your not going to keep passing when your up by a lot. So congrats to him and all but lets ease up on the G.O.A.T talk..

BallerT1215 02-21-2013 10:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Prime Time (Post 3278921)
Not trying to take anything away from Calvin, but let's be real here.. He got most of his yards in garbage time when the Lions were getting destroyed every game and had to pass. If Jerry Rice wasn't on such a great team that blew teams out midway through the 3rd quarter, I bet you his stats would be padded way more but they weren't, because your not going to keep passing when your up by a lot. So congrats to him and all but lets ease up on the G.O.A.T talk..

I respect the fact that you had to back your boy/team. But you know deep down, it is only matter of time barring health.

Also keep in mind I said "in the end". Not currently.

WCH 02-21-2013 10:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Prime Time (Post 3278921)

I agree. We all know Don Hutson is the G.O.A.T.

BallerT1215 02-21-2013 10:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WCH (Post 3278964)
I agree. We all know Don Hutson is the G.O.A.T.

Now we all know Andre Reed is 1B. right behind Jerry Rice and......

Prime Time 02-21-2013 10:48 PM

Lol now that I re-read my post I do sound kind of bitter tho but honestly, we all know Calvin will go down as one of the best receivers to ever play the game also. He is a freak and if anybody deserves the record it's him. I am happy for the guy I just wish he had done it while the Lions were constantly winning or something idk..

P-L 02-22-2013 03:40 PM

The Calvin getting yards in garbage time is a myth, unless you use a very liberal definition of "garbage time." Only 166 of his yardage was accumulated with the Lions down two touchdowns or more.

Ness 02-22-2013 03:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BallerT1215 (Post 3278953)
I respect the fact that you had to back your boy/team. But you know deep down, it is only matter of time barring health.

Also keep in mind I said "in the end". Not currently.

As a 49ers fan I'm pretty confident in Jerry Rice's resume and accolades standing the test of time, and that's with all of the rule changes giving offenses more leverage than in Rice's day and the amount of times Detroit throws the ball every year. If Calvin Johnson is going to even sniff at that crown, the Lions better start becoming a dominant force and winning Super Bowls and Stafford better start playing like Joe Montana or Steve Young. I don't see it happening. Rice was a Hall of Fame player in the best situation possible.

JRTPlaya21 02-22-2013 07:22 PM

So Calvin can't be better if he doesn't play on a dynasty? He's only 30 yards off of Rice at equal stages in their careers and he has more catches compared to what Rice had. Now the only thing hurting him is TDs. If he doesn't eclipse the big time records it will probably be due to the fact that he won't have a 19 season career.

Ness 02-22-2013 09:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRTPlaya21 (Post 3279707)
So Calvin can't be better if he doesn't play on a dynasty? He's only 30 yards off of Rice at equal stages in their careers and he has more catches compared to what Rice had. Now the only thing hurting him is TDs. If he doesn't eclipse the big time records it will probably be due to the fact that he won't have a 19 season career.

Depends what you believe entails as being the G.O.A.T. I wouldn't say Terry Bradshaw is arguably the greatest quarterback of all time due playing on a dynasty. I think Rice has a combination of being a great player while also being successful as a consistent winner (the results of being with a great team for years and years). I'm not talking about just in terms of ability. There have been a couple of receivers I thought were better than Rice from a physical standpoint in terms of what they can do. I'm talking about everything put together. Rice playing on the 49ers during their run of dominance only makes Calvin surpassing his resume all the more insurmountable. I think Calvin is already hurt by the era he plays in to a degree if we're talking about just numbers due to the offensive leverage teams have compared to the past with rules + safety awareness emphasized by the NFL. Of course that isn't to say that he couldn't do what he's doing now if he was in Rice's place at the time Rice played. But the same could be said about a lot of players had they had Rice's opportunity.

XxXdragonXxX 02-22-2013 10:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BallerT1215 (Post 3278709)
AD is also a robot so disqualified.

And Calvin is Megatron, so also disqualified.