Draft Countdown Forums

Draft Countdown Forums (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/index.php)
-   2014 NFL Draft Forum (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=47)
-   -   Star Lotulelei Sent Home with Heart Condition (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/showthread.php?t=55733)

Monomach 02-24-2013 04:35 PM

Star Lotulelei Sent Home with Heart Condition

https://twitter.com/mortreport/statu...06951588175872

Not working out. Didn't get past the medicals.

Cigaro 02-24-2013 04:39 PM

Well that's not good for him personally or his draft stock. I'm not really sure how serious of an issue this is, but if he gets sent for the Combine for it, I don't think it can be too good.

vidae 02-24-2013 04:41 PM

That sucks for him.

PossibleCabbage 02-24-2013 04:42 PM

Well, the combine may have saved his life.

Anybody know if this is correctable? Surely one of you is a cardiologist.

Monomach 02-24-2013 04:43 PM

This soon after Gaines Adams dying of an undiagnosed lifelong heart condition? Could crush his stock.

Splat 02-24-2013 04:46 PM

Well, that sucks.

descendency 02-24-2013 04:46 PM

Wow. This draft is really shaping up well for KC. QBs are below average, the best OT (which isn't a need at all) is debatable on how good of a LT he really is, the best DL has a heart condition, the best WR is either a mid 1st round pick or an extremely raw guy, ...

Hopefully they get the right guy.

Cigaro 02-24-2013 04:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Monomach (Post 3281268)
This soon after Gaines Adams dying of an undiagnosed lifelong heart condition? Could crush his stock.

Gaines Adams died due to an enlarged heart, which doesn't appear to be Lotulelei's problem. It's hard to say(unless any of you happen to have a medical degree) just how serious this is. But yes, it does have that potential.

Monomach 02-24-2013 04:51 PM

Google sez reduced left ventricle efficiency leads to oxygen-rich blood not being delivered to the lungs fast enough. To compensate for this, the heart grws larger...aka Gaines Adams disease.

Sez it's a precursor to congestive heart failure. Also sez it can cause a stroke.

princefielder28 02-24-2013 04:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Monomach (Post 3281281)
Google sez reduced left ventricle efficiency leads to oxygen-rich blood not being delivered to the lungs fast enough. To compensate for this, the heart grws larger...aka Gaines Adams disease.

Sez it's a precursor to congestive heart failure. Also sez it can cause a stroke.

This is what I'm seeing as well

If I had to guess, he might be advised to never play football again

Bucs147 02-24-2013 04:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PossibleCabbage (Post 3281265)
Well, the combine may have saved his life.

Anybody know if this is correctable? Surely one of you is a cardiologist.

I asked my dad who's a doctor. They'll do some tests to find out what is causing the heart failure. From what I understand, it could be some relatively minor thing that is correctable or something bigger (that would probably put an end to his football carreer). My father said that considering his status (young and heavy guy who played football all of his life), things are not looking to good...

Cigaro 02-24-2013 05:03 PM

According to Wiki, systolic heart failure sets in when it reaches below 40%. How hard it is to go from 44% to 40%, I'm not sure.

FUNBUNCHER 02-24-2013 05:04 PM

Terrible story. I hope it's correctable. But the upside is the NFL medical exam may have saved his life.

As bad as it is right now, imagine if Star had dropped dead on the field in the middle of a game next season?

princefielder28 02-24-2013 05:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cigaro (Post 3281303)
According to Wiki, systolic heart failure sets in when it reaches below 40%. How hard it is to go from 44% to 40%, I'm not sure.

considering he's already 11% below the normal rate, it's not something I would roll the dice with

Bob Sanders Dreadlock 02-24-2013 05:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Monomach (Post 3281281)

Pretty sure oxygen rich blood is delivered from the lungs not to the lungs.

Monomach 02-24-2013 05:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bob Sanders Dreadlock (Post 3281308)
Pretty sure oxygen rich blood is delivered from the lungs not to the lungs.

Yeah, should have said "from the lungs." It causes fluid backup in and around the lungs and in the left ventricle I guess. Said the heart grows larger and pumps faster to compensate and eventually just gives up.

If I'm reading this **** right, it says the usual cause is either 1. drugs causing permanent damage (coke, amphetamines) or 2. a heart attack that caused scar tissue to grow on the wall of the heart.

edit: can also be caused by this, but he would have never been able to play football with that, so we can rule that out.

TheMatriculator 02-24-2013 06:12 PM

Well, I guess that might explain why Scott Pioli didn't have Star in his top ten mock draft the other day.

I really feel sorry for the kid but better to have it diagnosed now than after the heart attack.

BallerT1215 02-24-2013 06:30 PM

Now I'm starting to feel for the KC fans a little....

Cigaro 02-24-2013 06:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheMatriculator (Post 3281385)
Well, I guess that might explain why Scott Pioli didn't have Star in his top ten mock draft the other day.

I really feel sorry for the kid but better to have it diagnosed now than after the heart attack.

Not sure if serious. This was discovered today.

Malaka 02-24-2013 07:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BallerT1215 (Post 3281400)
Now I'm starting to feel for the KC fans a little....

Lol why?

Geno Smith to KC is nearly a lock.

ShutDwn 02-24-2013 07:35 PM

I think the complexity of this condition alone is enough to strike fear in FOs. This is a lot worse than an injury.

I really want to know what Star's reaction to this is. How he takes it is more important than the coaches.

TheMatriculator 02-24-2013 08:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cigaro (Post 3281428)
Not sure if serious. This was discovered today.

Discovered today or announced today? The DL had their physicals on Saturday.

Bobby Layne 02-24-2013 10:17 PM

Tony Pauline ‏@TonyPauline
I'm told the condition preventing Star Lotulelei from working out at combine is similar to the one Frank Alexander, 4th rd pick, had in '12.

PossibleCabbage 02-24-2013 10:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bobby Layne (Post 3281627)
I'm told the condition preventing Star Lotulelei from working out at combine is similar to the one Frank Alexander, 4th rd pick, had in '12.

Didn't it turn out that there was nothing wrong with Alexander at all?

Cigaro 02-24-2013 10:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bobby Layne (Post 3281627)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cigaro (Post 3281317)
There's also the possibility of a false positive. Frank Alexander was sent home from the Combine for a heart condition, but further testing revealed he didn't actually have one. Unlikely, but possible.

Although I admittedly don't understand what that means, considering Alexander didn't have anything wrong with him after all. I'm guessing Alexander was diagnosed with something similar?