Draft Countdown Forums

Draft Countdown Forums (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/index.php)
-   Pro Football (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=44)
-   -   Ramses Barden (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/showthread.php?t=55749)

BallerT1215 02-25-2013 03:59 PM

Ramses Barden
 
His Rep said the giants are interested in bringing him back, but they will let him test the market first.


Am I the only one that would be pretty excited to add him to your teams WR depth?

I know he has very little tape to go off of and apparently was in Coughlin's doghouse a bunch, but his 1 big shot at starting he went off on National TV this past season. Caught every pass thrown his way.

Just seeing some thoughts on Ramses?

Monomach 02-25-2013 04:07 PM

Been beating the drum for the Bears to add him to compete for #2/3 with Alshon Jeffery. One of 'em has to pan out across from Marshall.

BigBlueNorwegian 02-25-2013 04:07 PM

Well, I've watched him a ton as a Giants fan. He has a lot of natural talent, but never showed it consistently enough with our team. He is a bit brittle, as he is always struggling with injuries. And he comes up small in games, compared to practices and training camp, where he always gets talked up.

I wouldn't outright exclude the possibility of him drastically improving on another team, but I have my doubts about it.

To me, it almost seems like he doesn't have the necessary passion for the game, and the mindset of wanting to become better. Intelligence is not an issue, he's a smart guy. Neither is talent, he has a lot of natural ability. So I think his problem is motivation. I don't think he has a passion for the game, and that, in turn, brings him to not give 100 percent in practice, in games, in the offseason, playing injured, and so on.

And that's a big problem in the NFL, because without the passion, It's much much harder to be a productive player.

Cigaro 02-25-2013 04:41 PM

For a fair price, I'd love to see him playing for us, and not destroying our secondary.

BallerT1215 02-25-2013 04:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cigaro (Post 3282559)
For a fair price, I'd love to see him playing for us, and not destroying our secondary.

Agreed on the fair price for him. Would love for him to be competing with a rookie WR opposite of Stevie Johnson.



And also - just to be fair - alot of WR's destroyed your secondary this past season. : )

FUNBUNCHER 02-25-2013 05:05 PM

I think the Giants are severely underestimating the interest Ramses Barden would draw from other teams around the league.

I'm fairly certain if the SKins weren't so cash strapped, Barden would be wearing burgundy and gold in 2013.

bigbluedefense 02-25-2013 05:21 PM

The Giants don't want him back bc we have Randle. Braden can't separate. And he's always hurt. He had a ton of chances to prove himself but kept landing in the doghouse for some reason. I did feel he produced when on the field but something behind the scenes that we don't know about always kept him off the field.

Decent possession WR. Seemed a bit immature. Loved to show his muscles for the camera. But he produced. Maybe a change of scenery will help him.

Monomach 02-25-2013 05:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigbluedefense (Post 3282589)
The Giants don't want him back bc we have Randle. Braden can't separate. And he's always hurt. He had a ton of chances to prove himself but kept landing in the doghouse for some reason. I did feel he produced when on the field but something behind the scenes that we don't know about always kept him off the field.

Decent possession WR. Seemed a bit immature. Loved to show his muscles for the camera. But he produced. Maybe a change of scenery will help him.

He can show his muscles after first down catches for the Bears. Marshall and Jeffery on the outside, Barden working against linebackers across the middle maybe? YES PLS.

bigbluedefense 02-25-2013 05:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Monomach (Post 3282594)
He can show his muscles after first down catches for the Bears. Marshall and Jeffery on the outside, Barden working against linebackers across the middle maybe? YES PLS.

That's the slowest WR core in NFL history. I wouldn't even put safeties on the field. Just defend 20 yards.

Cigaro 02-25-2013 05:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BallerT1215 (Post 3282560)
Agreed on the fair price for him. Would love for him to be competing with a rookie WR opposite of Stevie Johnson.



And also - just to be fair - alot of WR's destroyed your secondary this past season. : )


Monomach 02-25-2013 05:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigbluedefense (Post 3282596)
That's the slowest WR core in NFL history. I wouldn't even put safeties on the field. Just defend 20 yards.

You're underestimating the speed of Marshall (4.52) and Jeffery (4.47). Everyone does. Seems like people assume they're slow just because they're big.

bigbluedefense 02-25-2013 05:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Monomach (Post 3282603)
You're underestimating the speed of Marshall (4.52) and Jeffery (4.47). Everyone does. Seems like people assume they're slow just because they're big.

Braden wouldn't play with them though. He'd back them up. He's not a slot guy. Not a prototypical one at least.

Monomach 02-25-2013 05:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigbluedefense (Post 3282609)
Braden wouldn't play with them though. He'd back them up. He's not a slot guy. Not a prototypical one at least.

I don't think Cutler would bother throwing passes to a prototypical one, anyway. He's always chosen to throw to the biggest guy on the field. When he didn't have and bigger guys, he bitched to the media that he wanted some. He needs a big slot target like an Anquan Boldin or a Colston. I want us to try to make Barden that. He may not have Boldin's ridiculous hands and toughness, but I'm sure he can beat the coverage of most linebackers. Works for the Saints.

bigbluedefense 02-25-2013 06:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Monomach (Post 3282617)
I don't think Cutler would bother throwing passes to a prototypical one, anyway. He's always chosen to throw to the biggest guy on the field. When he didn't have and bigger guys, he bitched to the media that he wanted some. He needs a big slot target like an Anquan Boldin or a Colston. I want us to try to make Barden that. He may not have Boldin's ridiculous hands and toughness, but I'm sure he can beat the coverage of most linebackers. Works for the Saints.

I can see that. It really depends on your coach's system though. That's gonna dictate what your offense looks like. If he wants a shifty small guy in the slot Barden isn't gonna see any snaps there.

SolidGold 02-25-2013 06:31 PM

He's 27 - been in the league for 4 years and hasn't done **** - why does he have his own thread?

Monomach 02-25-2013 06:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigbluedefense (Post 3282639)
I can see that. It really depends on your coach's system though. That's gonna dictate what your offense looks like. If he wants a shifty small guy in the slot Barden isn't gonna see any snaps there.

What's maddening is that no one knows right now. Trestman hasn't even finished his playbook. He says it's going to be west coast based, but will incorporate things that have happened in the NFL since he's been gone. He didn't go into detail about which things other than to offhandedly mention TEs.

BallerT1215 02-25-2013 06:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolidGold (Post 3282646)
He's 27 - been in the league for 4 years and hasn't done **** - why does he have his own thread?

Because he is 6'6 @ 224lbs, is only 27, and when he started his 1 game this year he put up 9 for 128 on 10 targets. And then right back in the doghouse behind their prized early pick, Reuben Randle.

niel89 02-26-2013 07:32 PM

Loved this dude at Cal Poly. He was just fed catches in college.

6'6" receivers are the best receivers.

BallerT1215 02-26-2013 07:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by niel89 (Post 3283895)
Loved this dude at Cal Poly. He was just fed catches in college.

6'6" receivers are the best receivers.

The BEST KIND.

scottyboy 02-28-2013 09:46 AM

he's. so. bad.

it's hilarious. there was SO MUCH HYPE after the panthers game. I got yelled at by so many posters when I tried to quell it. Then he couldn't separate.

And he's dumb. See OPI vs Eagles

He also is ALWAYS on the bike.

he's just not good. BUT 6'6zzzZZzzz

Rosebud 02-28-2013 11:02 AM

I also think that our offense didn't do him any favors. Having to think about making all of the adjustments made him even slower than he already is in his cuts. If he could stay healthy for a team like the Chargers who liked to just toss the ball up for Receivers to go and grab, he could be a good receiver, but I've given up on him making good on all of that raw talent he has.

BaLLiN 03-03-2013 10:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scottyboy (Post 3286609)
he's. so. bad.

it's hilarious. there was SO MUCH HYPE after the panthers game. I got yelled at by so many posters when I tried to quell it. Then he couldn't separate.

And he's dumb. See OPI vs Eagles

He also is ALWAYS on the bike.

he's just not good. BUT 6'6zzzZZzzz

this, this, and more this.

He randomly decided to look good just so we didnt cut him it seemed like.

FUNBUNCHER 03-04-2013 02:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BaLLiN (Post 3290572)
this, this, and more this.

He randomly decided to look good just so we didnt cut him it seemed like.

I still think a big part of Barden's problems in NYC were both injuries and not being a good fit for the Giants option route passing game.

A guy that big with those physical tools typically would have a role in most offenses. Coughlin had no use for him.
It's not like he's a knucklehead, I don't think. But it seemed like the Giants soured on Barden early.

Maybe we never hear from Barden again once he leaves the Giants, but I would definitely not be surprised if he resurrects his career someplace else in 2013, not unlike Jimmy Smith once he left the Cowboys.

Guru 03-04-2013 05:15 AM

Honestly I doubt the Giants bring him back. The've drafted masterfully at the WR position including Nicks, Cruz, Randle, and Jernigan that they can focus on other positions. Barden could start for a few teams but not the Giants imho. They also have Hixon so their WR corps is relatively young an I expect them to take a WR in the draft. I guess slapping a 2nd round tender might be an option but I see him going to a club like the Jets, Raiders, Dolphins, San Diego, etc, as an upside signing much like Josh Morgan was for the skins but I doubt he gets that type of contract.

scottyboy 03-04-2013 07:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FUNBUNCHER (Post 3290731)
I still think a big part of Barden's problems in NYC were both injuries and not being a good fit for the Giants option route passing game.

A guy that big with those physical tools typically would have a role in most offenses. Coughlin had no use for him.
It's not like he's a knucklehead, I don't think. But it seemed like the Giants soured on Barden early.

Maybe we never hear from Barden again once he leaves the Giants, but I would definitely not be surprised if he resurrects his career someplace else in 2013, not unlike Jimmy Smith once he left the Cowboys.

See, I remember you were one of his biggest defenders after his panthers game explosion, but Barden just never showed the desire to play, oftinjured and just can't play. You're blaming the Giants on this one which just isn't the case


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:08 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.