Draft Countdown Forums

Draft Countdown Forums (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/index.php)
-   Pro Football (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=44)
-   -   Thoughts on cap penalties for Boys and Skins? (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/showthread.php?t=55772)

Guru 02-27-2013 08:02 AM

Thoughts on cap penalties for Boys and Skins?

I'm sure you all have heard the story by now. During the uncapped year these two teams refused to partake in a gentlemens agreement Salary Cap and were stripped of tones of cap dollars. This is obviously collusion at it's core but I'm not sure the NFL has to play by those rules.

I'm curious to see people's thoughts on this?

jrdrylie 02-27-2013 08:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Guru (Post 3284274)
I'm sure you all have heard the story by now. During the uncapped year these two teams refused to partake in a gentlemens agreement Salary Cap and were stripped of tones of cap dollars. This is obviously collusion at it's core but I'm not sure the NFL has to play by those rules.

I'm curious to see people's thoughts on this?

The players could actually have a good case in this. The owners basically had a handshake agreement to limit spending to around $123 million during the uncapped year and punishment was possible if this number was not obeyed. Essentially, the NFL owners were working under a salary cap despite the contract explicitly stating that 2010 would be an uncapped year.

These moves were obviously a breach of the CBA. The NFL was purposefully keeping more money in the hands of the owners while preventing the players from receiving more money. The problem is no players really got screwed in this, it was the Cowboys and Redskins, so the players aren't going to do anything about it.

Trogdor 02-27-2013 08:46 AM

The penalty from a legal standpoint was illegal and wouldn't have a chance if it had made it to open court PRIOR to the NFLPA lifting the lockout. The league covered it's behind nicely by coercing the NFLPA into agreeing with the sanctions when the lockout was lifted which *should* keep this out of courts even if the Redskins pursue it. Owners NEED each other and you won't be a member of the "good ol boys" club for long if you consistently challenge the other owners.

That being said the fact the penalty was accessed harshly only to the team that were division rivals to Giant's owner John Mara speaks volumes to the competitive spirit of ownership and the lengths they are willing to go with their power. Keep in mind Mara is the chair of the NFL management council and actually pushed for both teams to lose draft picks in addition to the fines.

Jughead10 02-27-2013 08:50 AM

It's a whole team first vs. league first mentality argument. Mara and his father have been battling Jerry Jones on this for years in a number of different aspects. Mainly TV money. It's a slippery slope the NFL as whole walks because they act as 1 corporation when it benefits them, but then they'll act as 32 separate corporations when it benefits them also.

killxswitch 02-27-2013 08:51 AM

A couple things. First, it's stupid that any team could be penalized for spending in an uncapped year. If there's a penalty for spending, that means there was a cap. Second, the Cowboys and Redskins weren't the only two teams that massively frontloaded contracts during that year. I remember the Texans and at least one western team did the same and were either penalized to a much lesser degree, or not penalized at all. I forget the details, which is unfortunate. It does seem like Mara took an opportunity to kick some division rivals in the ass.

All that said I don't like either team that got screwed so I'm not too torn up about it.

LonghornsLegend 02-27-2013 08:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trogdor (Post 3284318)
Keep in mind Mara is the chair of the NFL management council and actually pushed for both teams to lose draft picks in addition to the fines.

Haha really? I always thought it was weird that you can get punished for something that wasn't breaking any written rules. Then again, I'm more upset about Doug Free's contract and the fact that he is still on the team more so then I am this cap money.

Guru 02-27-2013 09:25 AM

Well it certainly is hurting players on both squads as now they'll have to cut some big contracts in order to get under the cap, due directly to the cap penalty, collusion, etc. I think Moss, and Hall are the biggest two with Steiger and Polumbus being others as I doubt they start for any other team in the NFL. And that also directly affects competitive balance, which is one reason these penalties were levied.

WCH 02-27-2013 10:40 AM

I believe the current CBA has language that prevent the NFLPA from filing suit over violations of all previous CBAs.

Basically, Demaurice Smith is a dumbass.

Giantsfan1080 02-27-2013 10:44 AM

It was more of an accounting issue rather than a spending issue. Also, collusion doesn't matter in the NFL because they are exempt from antitrust laws.

FUNBUNCHER 02-27-2013 10:47 AM

Snyder IMO is about to pull an Al Davis.
The talk you hear in D.C. is he's about to unleash his lawyers and sue the NFL to get that cap money back.

I support my team owner standing up for the franchise, but we all know there will be retaliation by the other league owners.

Goodell took $36 mil in cap space away from the SKins. He's got to find a way to get some of that money back.

Guru 02-27-2013 11:09 AM

How is what the redskins and boys did to free up money any different than what NE did with Brady's contract?

niel89 02-27-2013 11:40 PM

Honestly I morally think the penalties are bogus, but its against Jerry Jones and Snyder so I don't really care.

Monomach 02-28-2013 12:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Guru (Post 3284450)
How is what the redskins and boys did to free up money any different than what NE did with Brady's contract?

Well, it's different because the two situations don't resemble each other in any way.

There's a cap this year and Brady signed an extension that isn't frontloaded at all.

Examples:

Cap hits for Brady:

Cap hits for DeAngelo Hall:
19.7 <----

Monomach 02-28-2013 12:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by niel89 (Post 3286283)
Honestly I morally think the penalties are bogus, but its against Jerry Jones and Snyder so I don't really care.

Pretty much where I am. I think if the league was dumb enough to let an uncapped year exist, teams should have been able to do whatever the hell they wanted.

On the other hand, Jones and Snyder are giant d-bags, so whatever.

Forenci 02-28-2013 12:20 AM

Didn't the league specifically tell the teams NOT to do what the Cowboys and Redskins did though?

Monomach 02-28-2013 12:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Forenci (Post 3286335)
Didn't the league specifically tell the teams NOT to do what the Cowboys and Redskins did though?

Yeah, but it wasn't an official rule or anything. It was just a general case of collusion on the part of the owners.

Forenci 02-28-2013 12:25 AM

Gotcha. Still, you have question the owners for doing that after they said not to.

Rosebud 02-28-2013 01:11 AM

**** the Cowboys and the Redskins. They didn't technically break any rules or nothing, but **** em anyway for thinking they're hot ****.

FUNBUNCHER 02-28-2013 01:26 AM

Die John Mara, DIE!!

He's the real reason the SKins are in cap hell. He's the one who pushed for the $36 mil cap penalty and wanted to take draft picks from the Skins too.

Jerruh is scared cause he's an old man.

Danny boy ain't scared of nothing.

Guru 02-28-2013 11:37 AM

Regardless, of whether you like either team, the impact could be devastating because I highly doubt either of these teams will sign off on a new CBA in future years or if they'll be as willing to share revenue. The aftermath of this could turn the NFL into baseball and these two teams into the Yankees. JMO though.

Not to mention the league approved these contracts. Why were they approved if they were illegal?

Jughead10 02-28-2013 11:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Guru (Post 3286773)
Regardless, of whether you like either team, the impact could be devastating because I highly doubt either of these teams will sign off on a new CBA in future years or if they'll be as willing to share revenue. The aftermath of this could turn the NFL into baseball and these two teams into the Yankees. JMO though.

They've never wanted to share revenue. That's the basis of all of this. When they had an opportunity when there was no salary cap they took advantage of it despite all the owners have a gentlemen's agreement. I also think you can sign a CBA in future years if it was 30-2 from the owners. If Jerry and Dan had any real power, there would already be no salary cap. If was definitely a little petty by Mara and the other owners, but there is definitely a divide there. And they seem to be tired of butting heads with Jerry and Dan on revenue, tv rights, cap, etc. So when they had a chance to stick it to them, they did.

Rosebud 02-28-2013 11:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jughead10 (Post 3286794)
They've never wanted to share revenue. That's the basis of all of this. When they had an opportunity when there was no salary cap they took advantage of it despite all the owners have a gentlemen's agreement. I also think you can sign a CBA in future years if it was 30-2 from the owners. If Jerry and Dan had any real power, there would already be no salary cap. If was definitely a little petty by Mara and the other owners, but there is definitely a divide there. And they seem to be tired of butting heads with Jerry and Dan on revenue, tv rights, cap, etc. So when they had a chance to stick it to them, they did.

Exactly. **** em.

dan77733 02-28-2013 05:25 PM

I'm a 49ers fan but no fan of any team should be happy with what the NFL did to the Cowboys and Redskins. After all, the NFL approved the contracts at the time they were sent to the league office and did nothing about anything until 8 months later. Sorry but both teams were screwed over and if I was Snyder and or Jones but especially Snyder, I would sue the league and go through with it because its not fair.

If the other 30 teams didnt want to spend any money, thats up to them but the Redskins and Cowboys should have never ever been penalized for doing what they did in an UNCAPPED YEAR.

Guru 03-01-2013 11:17 AM

Didn't the Texans do the same thing with Schaubs contract and the Bears with Peppers contract? Where are those penalties? If true, where are those penalties?

Monomach 03-01-2013 11:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Guru (Post 3286773)

Not to mention the league approved these contracts. Why were they approved if they were illegal?

lolwut

These two teams have been fighting revenue sharing forever. The other 30 owners would just kick them out of the league and render their franchises worthless before allowing them to end the salary cap.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Guru (Post 3288160)
Didn't the Texans do the same thing with Schaubs contract and the Bears with Peppers contract? Where are those penalties? If true, where are those penalties?

Nope. Schaub's had a fairly standard unguaranteed roster bonus toward the end of his contract. This happens a lot to inflate the "media value" of contracts. If he'd sucked before it came around, he would have been cut and the Texans wouldn't have risked nearly as much money as they would otherwise. Common practice...unless you reeeeeally think the Texans said "3 years from now, instead of working out a CBA, we're going to descend into a clusterfuck and have an uncapped year. Let's take advantage of that!"

Peppers contract didn't have one crazy inflated year. His 2010 cap number wasn't crazy out of line with the rest of the years. It was only about 5 million higher. people are just looking at spotrac now and seeing that low 2011 number and assuming things without knowing that he restructured that year.

The Redskins and Boys restructured existing contracts during the uncapped year, when they already knew a CBA was not going to be in effect, to move money from other years into that year...and they did it with truly enormous amounts of money. For example, they did a Haynesworth voidable years restructure. They made his cap number 25.6 million..it's was originally 8.8 million! :njx:

It's entirely different. They didn't break an official rule, but they WERE doing some egregious stuff no other teams were dong.

Frankly, the amount of whining and crying and pretending that it was business as usual their fans are doing about it kind of makes me happy that they got ***** slapped.