Draft Countdown Forums

Draft Countdown Forums (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/index.php)
-   Pro Football (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=44)
-   -   Boldin traded to 49ers for 6th rounder (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/showthread.php?t=55944)

49ersfan_87 03-11-2013 03:15 PM

Boldin traded to 49ers for 6th rounder

https://twitter.com/Cardschatter/sta...07220400492545

Quote:

Wow. Wow. Wow. RT @RavensInsider: Anquan Boldin traded to 49ers for a sixth-round pick
Welcome to San Francisco Anquan!

LonghornsLegend 03-11-2013 03:18 PM

Wow that's a great coup for SF if so, can't really beat that even if he is declining.

holt_bruce81 03-11-2013 03:19 PM

Like I said in the other thread, love Anquan, hate that he's back in the NFC West.

jrdrylie 03-11-2013 03:23 PM

Do not like this trade for the Ravens. I'm pretty sure they can afford to keep Boldin. And yeah, he's old and only has a few years left probably. But a 6th round pick? In all likelihood, that is going to be a ST player who may not even stay on the team more than a few years. Stupid.

Grizzlegom 03-11-2013 03:24 PM

@xXKingBmoreXx
@RavensInsider Just wow. #Smh

Ray Lewis does not approve.

fenikz 03-11-2013 03:26 PM

ugh, hey AFC stop letting the 49ers rape you

Ravens1991 03-11-2013 03:26 PM

We wanted him to take a 2 million dollar pay cut. Seriously there had to have been another way to free up 2 million dollars.

MassNole 03-11-2013 03:27 PM

Was this trade a make up for the time John stole a G.I. Joe from Jim as kids?

gpngc 03-11-2013 03:30 PM

This move doesn't really scare me. Boldin's a good player, but his postseason was pretty much him at his absolute best. People are associating him with that performance but he was a pretty average 1B WR the past two years.

His durability and dependability are great. But I don't know if he adds anything huge to that offense. He's not a vertical threat. He doesn't really get much separation so a rapport with Kaep is going to be crucial - remember he's been with Flacco for 3 years. He's 32. Same strengths as Crabtree.

I don't know. It's a great move for a one-year rental at a cheap price pick-wise. But how many times do those kind of moves work out?

And the 49ers are now done for free agency. They can maybe sign one or two more tiny contracts...

K Train 03-11-2013 03:31 PM

boldin said he would retire if he wasnt a raven next season, this is odd...i wonder what he will do.

Niners should trade him to the steelers now and say **** you jim

coordinator0 03-11-2013 03:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ravens1991 (Post 3297695)
We wanted him to take a 2 million dollar pay cut. Seriously there had to have been another way to free up 2 million dollars.

It seems like they just didn't want Boldin around on a $6 million base salary.

Jughead10 03-11-2013 03:33 PM

Boldin has one foot out the door. I have to think this is his last year. The Ravens can now use that money to lock up younger players, but I surprised all they could get is a 6th. But I guess only teams who are really close would even want him.

Grizzlegom 03-11-2013 03:34 PM

Just think about the epic physical battles in 49ers and Seahawks games next year. Boldin & Crabtree vs. Sherman & Browner.

BallerT1215 03-11-2013 03:34 PM

Very good trade for SF.

Not only what he brings to the field as a tough durable player, but he will be a very good mentor to Crabtree as he keeps improving.

gpngc 03-11-2013 03:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jughead10 (Post 3297706)
Boldin has one foot out the door. I have to think this is his last year. The Ravens can now use that money to lock up younger players, but I surprised all they could get is a 6th. But I guess only teams who are really close would even want him.

Ozzie got a 6th, not a 7th, for a guy they probably would have released in an hour or something...

49ersfan_87 03-11-2013 03:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gpngc (Post 3297701)
And the 49ers are now done for free agency. They can maybe sign one or two more tiny contracts...

Other than signing John Abraham i didn't want them to do anything in FA anyway. We can fill most if not all of our needs in the draft and i'd rather them do that anyway.

gpngc 03-11-2013 03:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 49ersfan_87 (Post 3297712)
Other than signing John Abraham i didn't want them to do anything in FA anyway. We can fill most if not all of our needs in the draft and i'd rather them do that anyway.

That's true. The picks scare me way more than this acquisition.

Jughead10 03-11-2013 03:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gpngc (Post 3297711)
Ozzie got a 6th, not a 7th, for a guy they probably would have released in an hour or something...

Well they didn't have to release him in an hour or so. I believe they were under the cap with him. Unless they are about to announce a signing.

Halsey 03-11-2013 03:40 PM

He's going to be 33 in October and if you look at his production last season, it wasn't exactly through the roof. The Ravens weren't going to keep him and probably weren't going to get high value compensation in return.

BmoreBlackByrdz 03-11-2013 03:41 PM

yeah, his post-season performance was ridiculous but I don't think it made sense to pay 6 mil to a 33 year old WR who has definitely seen a decline in his #'s.

I hate to see him go, but if this helps retain Dannell Ellerbe, then I'll be fine w/ it.

Glad we found a trading partner too, this way we get a 6th rounder out of it instead of cutting him and getting nothing.

G Mobile 03-11-2013 03:41 PM

Great trade for the 49ers in my eyes. Cheap price and decent short term contract. Boldin has a couple more years of being decent.

This sucks hard as a Ravens fan though. It feel crazy that we were so set on either reducing him or cutting him. I doubt the Ravens seriously shopped Boldin around. Boldin was probably going to be released and the Ravens contacted the 49ers to see if they wanted him. He keeps his contract and goes to a good contending team. A 6th is better than the nothing we probably would have got for him. I'd expect Jacoby Jones to get an extension now and Pitta to play a bigger role.

Thanks Q. You were everything a Ravens WR could and should be.

WCH 03-11-2013 03:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fenikz (Post 3297693)
ugh, hey AFC stop letting the 49ers rape you

My thoughts exactly.

LonghornsLegend 03-11-2013 03:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jrdrylie (Post 3297689)
Do not like this trade for the Ravens. I'm pretty sure they can afford to keep Boldin. And yeah, he's old and only has a few years left probably. But a 6th round pick? In all likelihood, that is going to be a ST player who may not even stay on the team more than a few years. Stupid.

A 6th rounder is more then the Chiefs got for Eric Winston and more then the Steelers got for Harrison isn't it? Regardless of what happens to that pick, would you rather have nothing, or the pick?

SuperPacker 03-11-2013 03:45 PM

A 6th for a 32 year old in the last year of his contract getting $6M. I wouldn't say it's rape by the 49ers. To the 49ers it's nothing, but to other teams that don't have 4124 picks it would be quite a lot. And he was going to be cut anyway and the Ravens had made that clear...Exactly how much wouldn't be rape?

I_C_DeadPeople 03-11-2013 03:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by G Mobile (Post 3297721)
Great trade for the 49ers in my eyes. Cheap price and decent short term contract. Boldin has a couple more years of being decent.

This sucks hard as a Ravens fan though. It feel crazy that we were so set on either reducing him or cutting him. I doubt the Ravens seriously shopped Boldin around. Boldin was probably going to be released and the Ravens contacted the 49ers to see if they wanted him. He keeps his contract and goes to a good contending team. A 6th is better than the nothing we probably would have got for him. I'd expect Jacoby Jones to get an extension now and Pitta to play a bigger role.

Thanks Q. You were everything a Ravens WR could and should be.

Ravens just won the SB so it hardly *sucks hard* (try being a Bengal fan..lol). Clearly with Lewis and Reed gone/near gone and only being able to keep 1 of Ellerbe and Kruger, the Ravens will need a year or two to reload. So bailing on Bolden was there only logical option.