Draft Countdown Forums

Draft Countdown Forums (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/index.php)
-   2014 NFL Draft Forum (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=47)
-   -   2009 NFL Draft - Busts (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/showthread.php?t=55959)

The Alex 03-12-2013 07:15 PM

2009 NFL Draft - Busts

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2009_NFL_Draft

Has there been a more bust-laden first round in recent memory? Of the top half I only see like maybe six players that are at least average at their respective positions now nearly four years later. Matt Stafford is the only top 5 pick that hasn't been an abysmal failure. The back half has far more consistency but isn't without a fair share of outright failures either (Robert Ayers, Peria Jerry).

Which busts from this draft did you predict? Which busts surprised you? Is it too soon to declare anyone in the first round a bust? What the hell happened with the supposed greatest linebacker prospect of the decade in Aaron Curry?

Nastradamus 03-12-2013 07:25 PM

That's just an absurd statement. Stafford,A.Smith,Monroe,Raji,Harvin,Maclin,Mack,Je nkins,Crabtree,Oher,Freeman,Nicks. THere are plenty of busts, but way more than 6 successes.

Monomach 03-12-2013 07:28 PM

I counted 15 guys I wouldn't call busts...?

SuperPacker 03-12-2013 07:31 PM

Yeah I got 16.

The Alex 03-12-2013 07:35 PM

Did I say entire round? ****, I meant in the top half. I kept going back and revising what I had written.

bucfan12 03-12-2013 07:38 PM

I'd say the busts?
- Jason Smith
- Darious Heywerd Bay
- Aaron Curry
- Mark Sanchez
- Aaron Maybin
- Knowshon Moreno
- Larry English
- Robert Ayers
- Ziggy Hood

Still up in the air:
- Josh Freeman : Inconsistent but has shown the ability to be a starting qb.
- Matt Stafford: One great season, one bad. 1st 2 years riddled by injuries.
- Kenny Britt: Needs to stay out of trouble and healthy. When on the field, he's great.
- Beanie Wells: Good RB but has been riddled by injuries and opening his mouth caused his release.

The Alex 03-12-2013 07:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bucfan12 (Post 3299417)
I'd say the busts?
- Jason Smith
- Darious Heywerd Bay
- Aaron Curry
- Mark Sanchez
- Aaron Maybin
- Knowshon Moreno
- Larry English
- Robert Ayers
- Ziggy Hood

Still up in the air:
- Josh Freeman : Inconsistent but has shown the ability to be a starting qb.
- Matt Stafford: One great season, one bad. 1st 2 years riddled by injuries.
- Kenny Britt: Needs to stay out of trouble and healthy. When on the field, he's great.
- Beanie Wells: Good RB but has been riddled by injuries and opening his mouth caused his release.

I'd put Tyson Jackson in the bust category. I know he's been in a 3-4 but 5 sacks in 4 seasons is horrendous.

PossibleCabbage 03-12-2013 07:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Alex (Post 3299425)
I'd put Tyson Jackson in the bust category. I know he's been in a 3-4 but 5 sacks in 4 seasons is horrendous.

I'd say Jackson is a "disappointment" not a bust. There's a difference between a pick that doesn't work out like you expected it to and a pick that just doesn't work out.

vidae 03-12-2013 07:57 PM

No homer, Tyson Jackson isn't a bust, and if I remember right no one expected him to be a terror rushing the passer. He's a solid contributor, but nothing special. And he was way overdrafted and overpaid.

BallerT1215 03-12-2013 07:59 PM

Aaron ******* Maybin - I knew it before we picked him.

proshoota25 03-12-2013 09:24 PM

ugh that draft class is so bad for the patriots

BuckeyeDan17 03-12-2013 09:36 PM

Mohamman Massaquois, Brian Robiskie, David Veikune.

At least we got Alex Mack out of that draft. The rest is just a straight up abortion.

DcmRulz 03-12-2013 09:48 PM

I count 16 solid players, a few more that can't really be certain, but I will admit it's not pretty with the top 12 picks. (4-6 certified busts, depending on your opinion of Mark Sanchez and DHB)

The Alex 03-12-2013 10:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DcmRulz (Post 3299650)
I count 16 solid players, a few more that can't really be certain, but I will admit it's not pretty with the top 12 picks. (4-6 certified busts, depending on your opinion of Mark Sanchez and DHB)

I don't know how Mark Sanchez isn't considered a bust.

Halsey 03-13-2013 01:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Alex (Post 3299706)
I don't know how Mark Sanchez isn't considered a bust.

Because the Jets reached the playoffs his first two years?

Byrd430 03-13-2013 10:57 AM

I remember yelling at the Cowboys because they kept trading back...

And kept trading back...

And traded back again....

Before we finally got a third round pick. In hindsight, I'm not mad at all, now, even if that draft's best player is a rotational defensive lineman (Victor Butler).

As far as the 1st round busts:

Expected:

QB Mark Sanchez: I thought the Jets were ludicrous to sell their souls for a QB with TEN starts, and then they made back to back AFC Championship games. Four years later, I feel smart again.

WR Derrius Heyward-Bey: If you remember, the first receiver off the board was supposed to be Crabtree, and then last day rumors had the Raiders taking Bey. Don't they feel like idiots now? Or has that just been kind of expected nowadays?

DE Aaron Maybin: I compared Maybin to another bust - Vernon Gholston, and I was right on both accounts. When will teams learn that depending solely on Combine numbers will land you in hot water?

Unexpected:

OT Jason Smith: I really thought Smith had the size and skill to develop into a long-term LT for St. Louis.

OLB Aaron Curry: I admit, I wasn't sold on Curry at first, but the constant praise and anointing him as the best linebacker in years fooled me. Should've stuck with my gut. I'm with TS here though...what happened?

RB Knowshon Moreno: Felt like Moreno was going to set Denver on fire. Being a Florida fan, I got to see a lot of Moreno at rival Georgia, and I felt like he had all the tools for success and would become a premier back within his first three years in the league. WAY off on this one. You could argue that there could be up to 11 other backs chosen in this draft that are better than Moreno now.

thebow305 03-13-2013 11:04 AM

I always thought Aaron Curry was so completely overrated, you can go back and look at any of my posts before that draft. He was a workout warrior, but I saw that guy play a bunch of times for Wake that year, especially against Miami and he never stood out to me. He never made big impact plays on the field and I could never understand why teams were drooling over him so much.

So yeah, I called Aaron Curry being a bust. :)

Never completely understood the Jason Smith and Robert Ayers love either.

DcmRulz 03-13-2013 11:51 AM

I hated Maybin, didn't even think he was the best PSU DL in that draft class (Loved Maurice Evans on the field, never mind the off-field issues)

Never saw the love for Jason Smith, or Tyson Jackson for that matter. But I will admit, I kind of loved Aaron Curry, thought he would be a superstar. Woops.

Attyla the Hawk 03-13-2013 11:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Byrd430 (Post 3300067)
OLB Aaron Curry: I admit, I wasn't sold on Curry at first, but the constant praise and anointing him as the best linebacker in years fooled me. Should've stuck with my gut. I'm with TS here though...what happened?

Simply put, he had no football awareness whatsoever. Physically, there was no question he was great. But even in college, he didn't perform like you'd have expected him to.

Really, he was at all times, the most clueless player on the field. Ever. His physical abilities allowed him to recover/make plays at the collegiate level. But his ability to develop going forward was completely non existent.

That was his problem. He never improved his skills as a player really since his junior year when he was graded a 3rd/4th round pick. Physically he blossomed in his senior year. But he had reached the pinnacle of his skill advancement as a junior. He simply had no aptitude to grow.

It's rare to come across a player who has literally zero ability to develop when he comes into the league.

LonghornsLegend 03-13-2013 12:01 PM

I know if you needed a WR that year you were in luck, except for Al Davis. This years WR class reminds me of the 09 class. It's also funny to hear some people give off their explanation of a "bust". Apparently as long as you end up playing for the team you are not a bust, not matter how below average of a player they were.

The Alex 03-15-2013 03:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Halsey (Post 3299892)
Because the Jets reached the playoffs his first two years?

OFFENSE
2009: 1st in rushing attempts, 32nd in pass attempts
2010: 2nd in rushing attempts, 18th in pass attempts

DEFENSE
2009: 1st in points allowed, 1st in yards allowed
2010: 6th in points allowed, 3rd in yards allowed

Sanchez had next to nothing to do with it.

AcheTen (Thumper) 03-15-2013 10:37 PM

I'd go so far as to say that if the Jets had had even a top-10 QB in 2009 and 2010 they win at least one Super Bowl.

bucfan12 03-16-2013 08:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AcheTen (Post 3303877)
I'd go so far as to say that if the Jets had had even a top-10 QB in 2009 and 2010 they win at least one Super Bowl.

Yep. So many people forget how good that Defense was. They carried that team. They came accross Peyton Manning in 09 and then the steelers in 2010. The better QB won each time.

JHL6719 03-16-2013 09:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bucfan12 (Post 3304044)
Yep. So many people forget how good that Defense was. They carried that team. They came accross Peyton Manning in 09 and then the steelers in 2010. The better QB won each time.

What a crock of ****.

Sanchez passed for 233 yards, with 2 TD's and 0 INT's on his way to putting up a 102.2 QB rating in that game vs. the Steelers. The Jets only ran for 70 yards.

Meanwhile, Ben passed for 133 yards, with 0 TD's and 2 INT's on his way to putting up a 35.5 QB rating in that game. The Steelers rushed for 166 yards.

Sanchez outplayed Ben 10 fold in that game and still lost.

batsandgats 03-16-2013 01:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JHL6719 (Post 3304055)
What a crock of ****.

Sanchez passed for 233 yards, with 2 TD's and 0 INT's on his way to putting up a 102.2 QB rating in that game vs. the Steelers. The Jets only ran for 70 yards.

Meanwhile, Ben passed for 133 yards, with 0 TD's and 2 INT's on his way to putting up a 35.5 QB rating in that game. The Steelers rushed for 166 yards.

Sanchez outplayed Ben 10 fold in that game and still lost.

Wouldn't that prove that the defense helped him out? probably with good field position etc.