Draft Countdown Forums

Draft Countdown Forums (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/index.php)
-   Pro Football (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=44)
-   -   Who finished last in the NFC South? (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/showthread.php?t=55981)

The Alex 03-15-2013 03:33 AM

Who finished last in the NFC South?

I know this is a dumb and random question but it's important for next year's predictions. Every year some team that finished in last place ends up winning their division the following year. Based on all the tiebreakers and stuff, who finished last between the Panthers, Bucs and Saints?

Ness 03-15-2013 03:38 AM

I believe it was the Carolina Panthers.

The Alex 03-15-2013 03:40 AM

I should also point out that I've gone to three different websites and received three different answers for this question. I figure if anyone can give me a concrete answer, it's one of you guys.

Ness 03-15-2013 03:49 AM

Where have you gone? I went to Pro Football Reference. If you take a look at other seasons where teams "tied" with other teams like the 1991 49ers, 1985 Redskins, or 2008 Patriots who didn't make the playoffs, they have them listed in the correct order below the team that had the same record as them.

The Alex 03-15-2013 03:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ness (Post 3302838)
Where have you gone? I went to Pro Football Reference. If you take a look at other seasons where teams "tied" with other teams like the 1991 49ers, 1985 Redskins, or 2008 Patriots who didn't make the playoffs, they have them listed in the correct order below the team that had the same record as them.

Pro Football Reference, NFL.com, Yahoo.com

dunagan15 03-15-2013 05:50 AM

Pretty sure the Bucs were last. Due to having the worst conference record of the 3

Shane P. Hallam 03-15-2013 06:37 AM

Let's go through:

First tiebreaker is Head-to-head. All teams were 2-2 against each other.

Next is Division. All 3 are 1-1 vs. the Falcons

Next is Common Games. They played the AFC West and NFC East.

Saints: 4-4
Panthers: 4-4
Bucs: 3-5

Buccaneers finished last

To keep it going, Saints/Panthers go to Strength of Victory, Saints was stronger so:

1. Falcons
2. Saints
3. Panthers
4. Bucs

EDIT: See Cigaro's post below, actually goes:

1. Falcons
2. Panthers
3. Saints
4. Bucs

V.I.P 03-15-2013 09:56 AM

We finished last, and i'm proud of it!

The Alex 03-15-2013 03:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shane P. Hallam (Post 3302853)
Let's go through:

Buccaneers finished last

To keep it going, Saints/Panthers go to Strength of Victory, Saints was stronger so:

1. Falcons
2. Saints
3. Panthers
4. Bucs

Thanks for the clarification. It was bugging me all day on Thursday.

bucfan12 03-16-2013 08:37 AM

Still swept the Panthers. Suck it Cam./

Cigaro 03-17-2013 10:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shane P. Hallam (Post 3302853)
Let's go through:

Buccaneers finished last

1. Falcons
2. Saints
3. Panthers
4. Bucs

1. Falcons
2. Panthers
3. Saints
4. Buccaneers

You need to flip the Panthers and Saints. You're correct up until after the point where you have the Buccaneers separated as last. You then continued to strength of victory rules, but the NFL tiebreaking rules state that when a team is eliminated from a three team tie, the remaining two teams start the process all over again, and do not continue with the rules.

Quote:

(Note: If two clubs remain tied after third or other clubs are eliminated during any step, tie breaker reverts to step 1 of the two-club format).

http://www.nfl.com/standings/tiebreakingprocedures
The Panthers swept the Saints, thus have precedence, and thus they finished second in the division, while the Saints finished third.

As for the "last team finishes first" rule, that streak ended in 2010 when Tampa Bay failed to win the league.

Shane P. Hallam 03-18-2013 09:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cigaro (Post 3305477)
1. Falcons
2. Panthers
3. Saints
4. Buccaneers

You need to flip the Panthers and Saints. You're correct up until after the point where you have the Buccaneers separated as last. You then continued to strength of victory rules, but the NFL tiebreaking rules state that when a team is eliminated from a three team tie, the remaining two teams start the process all over again, and do not continue with the rules.

The Panthers swept the Saints, thus have precedence, and thus they finished second in the division, while the Saints finished third.

As for the "last team finishes first" rule, that streak ended in 2010 when Tampa Bay failed to win the league.

Bah, thanks Cigaro. My apologies

jackrogers 03-20-2013 01:03 AM

yes it was panthers.

billybeejr 04-05-2013 12:33 AM

what a failure of a first post