Draft Countdown Forums

Draft Countdown Forums (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/index.php)
-   2014 NFL Draft Forum (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=47)
-   -   Justin Pugh a 1st Round OG? (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/showthread.php?t=55991)

JohnCandy 03-15-2013 06:45 PM

Justin Pugh a 1st Round OG?

Quote:

@MoveTheSticks

Justin Pugh (Syracuse OT) should be a 1st rd pick. His name is buzzing in personnel circles. I think he's a better version of Andy Levitre.
I do not love him as an OT, but I would be interested to see what he does in a passing offense at OG.

princefielder28 03-15-2013 06:50 PM

I made a mock this afternoon and had him going #22 to St. Louis. His tape is really good and he leaves a team with the option of kicking him over to right tackle or inside to guard.

tjsunstein 03-15-2013 06:53 PM

Should, but probably won't. Warmack, Cooper, Warford. Not sure he'll make it in the top 32 but early-mid 2nd is realistic.

Buzzing in personnel circles. I'm sorry what is his definition of that? Is it two-three teams that like him?

Eh.

descendency 03-15-2013 07:09 PM

I think he's a solid second round pick. There are too many good guards in this class already. His only chance is that Warmack or Cooper goes top 10 and the other goes top 15.

Black Bolt 03-15-2013 07:53 PM

How is he better than Kyle Long?

JohnCandy 03-15-2013 08:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Black Bolt (Post 3303687)
How is he better than Kyle Long?

The guys had phenomenal feet and technique, and I mean textbook technique.

But he does not really have the length or size you look for at OT and the short arms especially hurt him.

Black Bolt 03-15-2013 09:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JohnCandy (Post 3303742)
The guys had phenomenal feet and technique, and I mean textbook technique.

But he does not really have the length or size you look for at OT and the short arms especially hurt him.

Right, I know that and that's why he is considered a OG candidate. But as an OG, does his power and pure athleticism come close to Long's?

JohnCandy 03-15-2013 11:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Black Bolt (Post 3303765)
Right, I know that and that's why he is considered a OG candidate. But as an OG, does his power and pure athleticism come close to Long's?

Pugh

Athletiscm
Technique

Long

Power

Black Bolt 03-16-2013 08:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JohnCandy (Post 3303927)
Pugh

Athletiscm
Technique

Long

Power

Are you saying that Long is less of an athlete than Pugh?

Iamcanadian 03-16-2013 08:57 AM

He's a solid second round prospect, probably as an OG but with a shot at playing LT. His length and short arms will likely prevent him from being a great player but he should be pretty solid.

Robcards 03-16-2013 09:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Black Bolt (Post 3304029)
Are you saying that Long is less of an athlete than Pugh?

I thought the same thing. If so, credibility lost lol Kyle long is probably only behind terron armstead and lane Johnson in terms of athleticism in OLinemen.

Iamcanadian 03-16-2013 10:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Robcards (Post 3304060)
I thought the same thing. If so, credibility lost lol Kyle long is probably only behind terron armstead and lane Johnson in terms of athleticism in OLinemen.

Long's problem is playing experience, he just doesn't have a whole lot of it and has to be drafted on his potential which seems high. Junior College and 1 year of University ball isn't much to go on.

thetedginnshow 03-16-2013 10:18 AM

Long is somewhat of an old prospect and has injury concerns. I'd rather take Pugh, possibly only to hear announcers call him "Poo".

Babylon 03-16-2013 10:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thetedginnshow (Post 3304094)
Long is somewhat of an old prospect and has injury concerns. I'd rather take Pugh, possibly only to hear announcers call him "Poo".

Long is 24 right now and doesn't have a lot of wear and tear on him having tried his hand at baseball out of highschool. Also not seeing a history of injuries there so not sure where that is coming from.

Pugh is probably more of a technician as a guard and can play RT for a team also. Long gets by more with athletecism and a nasty disposition. Both guys are on my wish list for the Seahawks in the second round.

JohnCandy 03-16-2013 10:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Robcards (Post 3304060)

Pugh is seen as a LT and played there in college, he has exceptional feet and athletic ability.

Long is viewed as an OG and has never been ranked as a LT.

Long is more athletic in shorts and Pugh has flashed more movement skills on the football field.

Robcards 03-16-2013 11:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JohnCandy (Post 3304136)
Pugh is seen as a LT and played there in college, he has exceptional feet and athletic ability.

Long is viewed as an OG and has never been ranked as a LT.

Long is more athletic in shorts and Pugh has flashed more movement skills on the football field.

More athletic in shorts = more athletic

Moving better on the field = better technique

Therefore, Long is more athletic. Which is all we were saying. Not sure who the better prospect is but I'm pretty sure Long has Pugh beat in athleticism.

Black Bolt 03-22-2013 08:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Robcards (Post 3304164)
More athletic in shorts = more athletic

Moving better on the field = better technique

Therefore, Long is more athletic. Which is all we were saying. Not sure who the better prospect is but I'm pretty sure Long has Pugh beat in athleticism.

This^

I also can't see Pugh going in the first round with two OGs sure to go in the first.

Babylon 03-22-2013 11:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Black Bolt (Post 3309735)
This^

I also can't see Pugh going in the first round with two OGs sure to go in the first.

To me he looks like a solid second round pick. A guy who can play more than one position sort of like a Max Unger. Late first early second is all sort of the same thing but to me he's a second.

AcheTen (Thumper) 03-22-2013 11:51 AM

This guy will be a ten year pro that goes to multiple Pro Bowls.

regoob2 03-22-2013 12:08 PM

Really overrated player. Especially for a OG. Doesnt have the strength for inside. His tape shows a ZBS LT or maybe LG. I think he's more of a backup in the NFL.

nobodyinparticular 03-22-2013 12:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AcheTen (Post 3309862)
This guy will be a ten year pro that goes to multiple Pro Bowls.

Quote:

Originally Posted by regoob2 (Post 3309883)
Really overrated player. Especially for a OG. Doesnt have the strength for inside. His tape shows a ZBS LT or maybe LG. I think he's more of a backup in the NFL.

These replies were humorous next to each other without actually referencing each other.

Babylon 03-22-2013 12:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nobodyinparticular (Post 3309921)
These replies were humorous next to each other without actually referencing each other.

And were probably both wrong.

D-Unit 03-22-2013 02:04 PM

Pugh to Chicago in Round 1. Lock it up.

BTW, who is @movethesticks?

DcmRulz 03-22-2013 02:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by D-Unit (Post 3310059)

Daniel Jeremiah of NFL.com

regoob2 03-23-2013 01:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by D-Unit (Post 3310059)

For a scheme that requires length, strength and the power to anchor you think Pugh is a 1st round candidate for that role? Seems to be all his weaknesses.