Draft Countdown Forums

Draft Countdown Forums (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/index.php)
-   2015 NFL Draft Forum (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=47)
-   -   T.J. McDonald, S, USC (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/showthread.php?t=56020)

zachsaints52 03-19-2013 11:03 AM

T.J. McDonald, S, USC
 
I never really make threads, but I haven't seen one on him and would love to know why does everyone have him so low? At the combine he ran a 4.59 (11th among safeties at combine, but his pro day will surely get him 4.49ish), 5th among Safeties in bench (19), 3rd in vert (40), 4th in long jump (10'11), 8th in 3 cone drill (6.89). Career 275 tackles, 8 ints, 17 pass defelctions. Solid size. I understand people think he is stiff and in the box saftey, but most of yall in the mocks dont have him to the 4th or not at all. Am I missing something big?

K Train 03-19-2013 11:20 AM

he had a really bad season, but i like him quite a bit in the right role.

Hes like a mix of darnell bing and taylor mays, its kinda strange actually

princefielder28 03-19-2013 12:00 PM

He is physically impressive, but I don't really see much of an upside even with those skills because he is what he is, an in-the-box safety. In today's NFL if a safety has little skill when it comes to coverage, what they worth in terms of draft position? I'd say nothing sooner than the fourth round.

Don Vito 03-19-2013 12:53 PM

A safety who can't cover you say? What number will he be wearing for the Pats next season?

K Train 03-19-2013 12:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by princefielder28 (Post 3306966)
He is physically impressive, but I don't really see much of an upside even with those skills because he is what he is, an in-the-box safety. In today's NFL if a safety has little skill when it comes to coverage, what they worth in terms of draft position? I'd say nothing sooner than the fourth round.

i kind of think he could be a good center fielder too though, hes not limited to being in the box because he does have good range and speed.

mightytitan9 03-19-2013 01:01 PM

He doesn't have the ability to play FS in the NFL IMO. That restricts him to a SS role and unless you're one of the best there you usually go late 3rd to 4th.

He lacks ball skills from what ive seen

DrewyVuitton 03-19-2013 02:23 PM

Big time USC homer here. TJ sucks. I see all the same issues I saw with Mays.

Doesn't play through the whistle, hitter not a tackler, will make big hits on defenseless receivers earning a "physical" tag -- but reality is that he isn't physical against the run or in traffic.

Too tall, plays high, terrible change of direction..

Monte Kiffin doesn't require rocket scientists to play his scheme. The responsibilities are very straight forward. TJ still managed to screw this up.

This will sound odd because he was a receiver, but he reminds me of Roy E. Williams with his physical skill set. If you put Roy Williams at Safety you'd get TJ.

DrewyVuitton 03-19-2013 02:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by K Train (Post 3307006)
i kind of think he could be a good center fielder too though, hes not limited to being in the box because he does have good range and speed.

Meh -- he's got straight line speed but it doesn't translate to functional field speed. He doesn't have the ability to recognize breaks in routes, react, and make it from the hash to the sideline on a whim. He's just an athlete, not really a football player.

BallerT1215 03-19-2013 02:26 PM

McDonald had a downright horrible season. Classic "look like tarzan, play like Jane". It is one thing if he is an in the box safety that cant cover because there is a lot of guys like that in the NFL (Yeremiah Bell, Laron Landry,Bernard Pollard, Donte Whitner), but it is another thing when you are as big as him and shy away from contact.

Not only can he not cover, he is reluctant to go up and hit the runner or be phsyical.

Guy will be a wasted pick in my opinion. Poor man's Taylor Mays and that is not good.

rickscott 03-20-2013 12:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DrewyVuitton (Post 3307122)
Big time USC homer here. TJ sucks. I see all the same issues I saw with Mays.

Doesn't play through the whistle, hitter not a tackler, will make big hits on defenseless receivers earning a "physical" tag -- but reality is that he isn't physical against the run or in traffic.

Too tall, plays high, terrible change of direction..

Monte Kiffin doesn't require rocket scientists to play his scheme. The responsibilities are very straight forward. TJ still managed to screw this up.

This will sound odd because he was a receiver, but he reminds me of Roy E. Williams with his physical skill set. If you put Roy Williams at Safety you'd get TJ.

Being a Bengals fan, I can tell you that Mays has hurt more Bengal players than opponents with his reckless style of play. I don't blame them for picking him up cheap, but it's time to end the experiment and cut him.

zachsaints52 03-21-2013 09:41 AM

Thanks for the info guys. I can understand your style of thinking, I just feel that at USC he wasnt required to do much (he pretty much played centerfiled before Kiffin I believe) so maybe he just isnt smart enough? I feel that with the right system (which yall have said) he could be serviceable.

Iamcanadian 03-21-2013 03:21 PM

If there is one position where Mayock's track record is as good as it gets, it is the Safety position. He is rarely wrong here. He doesn't have McDonald in his top 5 and that speaks volumes to me. However, the Safety position is very deep this draft but I suspect round 3 is his likely destination.

TheFinisher 03-21-2013 03:40 PM

I like his brother more.

The biggest issue I had watching T.J. play this year was the lack of effort. He seems to be one of those guys who's satisfied with his teammates making the tackle while he watches, and that's a terrible quality to have as a big safety. Also, I don't think he's that bad in coverage when he's right, but he seems to process things slowly and/or doubt himself. I think his confidence took a dive the 2nd half of the season.

There are flashes where he looks like the 1st Rounder he was once hyped up to be. Disappointing end to his career, never took that next step... but another part of me thinks his best football could be ahead of him if he lands in the right situation.

SenorGato 03-21-2013 11:17 PM

Personally I see a steal if he lands with a really good defensive team. At his best he's one of the two or three best safeties in this draft if not the best.

BallerT1215 03-21-2013 11:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SenorGato (Post 3309605)
Personally I see a steal if he lands with a really good defensive team. At his best he's one of the two or three best safeties in this draft if not the best.

Say What?


DrewyVuitton 03-21-2013 11:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheFinisher (Post 3309132)
I like his brother more.

The biggest issue I had watching T.J. play this year was the lack of effort. He seems to be one of those guys who's satisfied with his teammates making the tackle while he watches, and that's a terrible quality to have as a big safety. Also, I don't think he's that bad in coverage when he's right, but he seems to process things slowly and/or doubt himself. I think his confidence took a dive the 2nd half of the season.

There are flashes where he looks like the 1st Rounder he was once hyped up to be. Disappointing end to his career, never took that next step... but another part of me thinks his best football could be ahead of him if he lands in the right situation.

Yep, that's what I meant when I said he doesn't play through the whistle. He doesn't like to clean up the mess.

Although a much better prospect, DJ Swearinger also has that issue. Lot of film where he lets his teammates finish the play and doesn't get involved. Frustrating to see.

Punisher 03-26-2013 03:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheFinisher (Post 3309132)
I like his brother more.



http://www.cbssports.com/collegefoot...-football-team

BallerT1215 03-26-2013 07:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Punisher (Post 3313134)

What is wrong with some of these players? 3rd failed drug test?? SMH big time


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:12 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.