Draft Countdown Forums

Draft Countdown Forums (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/index.php)
-   College Football (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=45)
-   -   Who can stop Bama?? or the SEC (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/showthread.php?t=56030)

nodakdraftnut 03-20-2013 04:09 PM

Who can stop Bama?? or the SEC
 
Im sick of Alabama or the SEC winning it every year. Other confrences need to get it together and steal the mantle from the south. agree or disagree?

JHL6719 03-22-2013 08:44 AM

Disagree. If you're sick of it, beat us.

princefielder28 03-22-2013 08:48 AM

With Urban at Ohio State I think he'll be able to recruit and implement his system which will allow a team outside the SEC to compete with them on the big stage.

San Diego Chicken 03-22-2013 02:51 PM

Oregon and Florida State could step up and win one in the mext few years. I agree that Ohio State is on the cusp. USC and Texas need new coaches, but they have the infrastructure in place.

andyjo672 03-22-2013 03:13 PM

This kind of thing pops up every few years. Inevitably Alabama, just like Miami, USC, Florida before them is riding high, pulling in the best recruits and look like will never be stopped. Just like those before them, inevitably their run will end as well and they will be replaced with the next 'it' school and people will begin asking the same questions about them.

JT Jag 03-22-2013 05:58 PM

The only thing that will stop Bama at this rate is Bama. Eventually they will begin to get satisfied, they will see attrition amongst their top assistants as they head to better jobs (this has already started to happen), and Saban will eventually fade towards the background. It happens to the best of organizations.

If you want to speed that process up, do something about it. Otherwise, grit your teeth, let nature take its course and understand that no one will challenge this alpha wolf until it dies of natural causes.

49erNation85 03-22-2013 08:24 PM

Florida will be next in a year or so. Outstanding recruits coming in this year. Gonna be a fun year in the sec.

SickwithIt1010 03-22-2013 08:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 49erNation85 (Post 3310447)
Florida will be next in a year or so. Outstanding recruits coming in this year. Gonna be a fun year in the sec.

Not if Driskel doesn't learn to run an offense. That team would be so scary if they weren't held back on offense.

49erNation85 03-22-2013 09:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SickwithIt1010 (Post 3310467)
Not if Driskel doesn't learn to run an offense. That team would be so scary if they weren't held back on offense.

Don't worry if he fails we have a new QB coming in this recruiting class . Another 6'6" kid around 230 lbs I think. Can't remember his name. Another FL I think.

BallerT1215 03-23-2013 12:25 AM

If Winston is the real deal and becomes starter this year, FSU in 2 years.

wicket 03-23-2013 06:47 AM

the new playoff structure wont help the SEC. the way its currently set up the sec has a great chance to be well prepared for bowl games. A long layoff helps defensive teams, due to the way guys transfer like crazy in the sec they will also have more depth, allowing them to train full contact throughout this extended period where other schools may struggle with limited bodies (this is one of the reasons ND got exposed as much as they did, few contact drills due to ridiculous lack of depth on a few spots (Oline and DBs, the latter due to injuries to 3 of the projected starters) made Kelly (too) weary of doing full contact practices, this visibly backfired.

but back on topic, the playoff structure will take some of that extended period away, certainly between the semis and the final. That being said i think the south is still the most fertile recruiting ground which will give the sec an edge they wont lose any time soon, the sec schools are pretty much all prepared to pay the big bucks for the coaching staff, not just the HC, the weather/girls will always help them in recruiting as well and unless the ncaa is going to check on it further the roster management in the sec (which happens elsewhere as well but not on the same scale in general) will all keep them involved.

There are a few schools i could see challenging the SEC in the coming to years.
2013 season: Ohio State, Oregon, Clemson, Stanford
2014 season: Ohio State, Oregon, Florida State, Notre Dame

before you call me a homer on ND in 2014, ND brings back 14 starters this year (not counting kicker and stuff, just base offense and defense) and of those 14 only 5 graduate, giving them 9 starters who actually were starting in Miami 2 months ago, thats a lot of experience at that point with a starting QB in his third year of starting and no significant depth issues like this year.

Brent 03-23-2013 07:06 AM


Bob Sanders Dreadlock 03-26-2013 08:20 AM

I was just thinking last night how much would the all sec team in a game verse the rest of the ncaa

T — Sharrif Floyd, Florida,6-3, 303, Jr.
T — Sheldon Richardson, Missouri, 6-4, 295, Jr.
E — u-Jadeveon Clowney, South Carolina, 6-6, 256, So.
E — Damontre Moore, Texas A&M, 6-4, 250, Jr.
LB — u-Jarvis Jones, Georgia, 6-3, 241, Jr.
LB — C.J. Mosley, Alabama, 6-2, 232, Jr.
LB — Kevin Minter, LSU, 6-2, 245, Jr.
CB — u-Johnthan Banks, Mississippi State, 6-2, 185, Sr.
CB — u-Dee Milliner, Alabama, 6-1, 199, Jr.

Just that defense alone is full of 1st rounders. There offensive line is ridiculous as well.

Bert Macklin 03-26-2013 10:43 AM

LSU led under Cammy Cam will.

draftguru151 03-26-2013 10:59 AM


Bert Macklin 03-26-2013 11:16 AM

Lol at that pic

JRTPlaya21 03-26-2013 11:29 AM

Bert you win just for having that as your avi.

sbh15 03-26-2013 11:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SickwithIt1010 (Post 3310467)
Not if Driskel doesn't learn to run an offense. That team would be so scary if they weren't held back on offense.

and unfortunately after he seemed to be progressing quickly early on, he kind of plateaued toward the end of the season - or maybe defense figured him out in a hurry. either way, I don't see a lot of passing potential from this kid and that worries me going forward.

Quote:

Originally Posted by 49erNation85 (Post 3310506)
Don't worry if he fails we have a new QB coming in this recruiting class . Another 6'6" kid around 230 lbs I think. Can't remember his name. Another FL I think.

Will Grier. he's not going to be some kind of savior, though. we are sticking with Driskel, for better or worse, this season

BuckeyeDan17 03-26-2013 12:47 PM


49erNation85 03-26-2013 10:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 49erNation85
Don't worry if he fails we have a new QB coming in this recruiting class . Another 6'6" kid around 230 lbs I think. Can't remember his name. Another FL I think.
Will Grier. he's not going to be some kind of savior, though. we are sticking with Driskel, for better or worse, this season
Will you never know if it comes down ot it and Driskel just bombs his first 4 games I bet there is a QB switch. I'm not praying it happens I want us back in the top 5 no doubt but there could be a 2% chance there like an injury or something.

niel89 03-27-2013 07:53 PM

Bama will lose its dominance soon. Its too hard to succeed consistently for a long time. Bama will lose their quality assistant coaches to other opportunities. In a way I see it similar to Bill Belichick who had so much success that his coaches kept getting hired from underneath him.


On the other hand meet your doom Ncaa:



Stanford is coming for all of you. 3 straight BCS games. If Hogan had been starting over damn Nunes at the start of the season then we could have been much better.

YAYareaRB 03-28-2013 12:24 AM

if Hogan was starting from week 1 last season, stanford would have been in the NC.

MassNole 03-28-2013 09:22 AM

Apparently Alabama thinks FSU can as they reported Demarcus Walker for taking a "fake class" in HS.

BuddyCHRIST 03-28-2013 10:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MassNole (Post 3314513)
Apparently Alabama thinks FSU can as they reported Demarcus Walker for taking a "fake class" in HS.

This is not proven to be true, some people love to believe anything though. I would wait till we know any actual details besides some 18 year old kid alluding to stuff on twitter before jumping to conclusions.

Though to answer the original thread topic, FSU could if we get rid of Trickett and bring in a real O-Line consistently. It is what holds us back. I've seen this analogy mentioned before, but right now we are the guy with huge arms, huge chest, huge back etc, but stick thin legs. You can't win without an O-Line.

Stanford is a good choice if they can keep it up, they play a physical style of football and really seem to play hard and do it right. Hard not to like what Stanford is doing.

Oregon is a nice pick as well just because their style is so different. I know people like to say that type of game won't work against the SEC but Oregon was a wrist away from beating Auburn a couple years ago. In one game anything can happen. Though I will hold judgement until I see how their new coach is.

OSU is obvious with the talent their bringing in, coupled with the biggest scum bag coach in the country and they should fit right in. A super easy Big 10 slate doesn't hurt their chances either.

Texas/USC are overrated shells of themselves, until they get new coaches they are not worth being mentioned. Oklahoma brings in the talent but they always seem to drop a few, but still a contender every year because they have NFL guys on both sides. Though they don't seem to be trending in any particular direction.

MassNole 03-28-2013 12:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BuddyCHRIST (Post 3314600)
This is not proven to be true, some people love to believe anything though. I would wait till we know any actual details besides some 18 year old kid alluding to stuff on twitter before jumping to conclusions.

Though to answer the original thread topic, FSU could if we get rid of Trickett and bring in a real O-Line consistently. It is what holds us back. I've seen this analogy mentioned before, but right now we are the guy with huge arms, huge chest, huge back etc, but stick thin legs. You can't win without an O-Line.

Stanford is a good choice if they can keep it up, they play a physical style of football and really seem to play hard and do it right. Hard not to like what Stanford is doing.

Oregon is a nice pick as well just because their style is so different. I know people like to say that type of game won't work against the SEC but Oregon was a wrist away from beating Auburn a couple years ago. In one game anything can happen. Though I will hold judgement until I see how their new coach is.

OSU is obvious with the talent their bringing in, coupled with the biggest scum bag coach in the country and they should fit right in. A super easy Big 10 slate doesn't hurt their chances either.

Texas/USC are overrated shells of themselves, until they get new coaches they are not worth being mentioned. Oklahoma brings in the talent but they always seem to drop a few, but still a contender every year because they have NFL guys on both sides. Though they don't seem to be trending in any particular direction.

The OL was vastly improved in 2012, and that was with Tackles that had never played a down of D1 ball at that position and 2 true sophomore Guards. Losing Watson in 2013 hurts, but the OL will be damned good in 2013, and barring injury or someone leaving early could be filthy in 2014 with 5 seniors starting.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:05 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.