Draft Countdown Forums

Draft Countdown Forums (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/index.php)
-   College Football (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=45)
-   -   R.I.P. Auburn (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/showthread.php?t=56151)

Don Vito 04-03-2013 09:55 PM

R.I.P. Auburn
 
http://espn.go.com/college-football/...cording-report

Straw that breaks the camels back I would say

CashmoneyDrew 04-03-2013 10:05 PM

The NCAA doesn't have the balls to do anything of consequence these days.

Halsey 04-03-2013 10:06 PM

So you really think the NCAA will just tell Auburn to shut down its football program? Not happening. Too much money, too many fans, a storied rivaly with Alabama, a 90,000 seat football stadium, etc. Auburn is not getting a death penalty. I could see them being forced to suspend play for a season, maybe two, but that will be the extent of shutting down the whole program.

Don Vito 04-03-2013 10:19 PM

My idea of RIP is what you are talking about Halsey, and that is at the extreme end of the spectrum. They are going to get in some serious trouble for this I think. People have been waiting ofr something big to come out on Auburn for a few years and this might be what does it.

critesy 04-03-2013 10:49 PM

dont know if youve noticed, but every player whose been quoted has said that she mis-quoted them and took it way out of context. its a garbage article.

critesy 04-03-2013 10:55 PM

https://twitter.com/ColemanMcDowell

basically read this twitter as it debunks the terrible blogpost.

SolidGold 04-03-2013 11:50 PM

Scammzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Pat Sims 90 04-04-2013 12:01 AM

I am wondering how much they would have paid Cam Newton to stay for 1 more year.

D-Unit 04-04-2013 12:55 AM

I bet nothing happens. SECZZzzzzzzzZZZZZz Baby!

pierce2walker 04-04-2013 03:56 AM

Whaaaat SEC schools playing dirty? No way!

FUNBUNCHER 04-04-2013 07:05 AM

Accusations aren't evidence. See Cam Newton.
At the end of the day, someone has to rat the whole thing out to the NCAA.
That ain't happening.

JHL6719 04-04-2013 07:48 AM

There's not a school out there that's more corrupt than the NCAA itself. Furthermore, no school out there has a worse reputation right now than the NCAA.

I will say this after reading Selena Roberts article.... Mike McNeil got a raw deal unfortunately.

iowatreat54 04-04-2013 07:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by critesy (Post 3320367)
https://twitter.com/ColemanMcDowell

basically read this twitter as it debunks the terrible blogpost.

Not saying any of it is true or the article is garbage, but really? You offer up an Auburn alumn/writer as support against something anti-Auburn? It's not like he would have any sort of bias whatsoever and would completely admit that his school may have done something wrong...

Again, not saying any of it's true, but this is like asking a Penn State fan/writer if Penn State did anything wrong.

And ya, at this point everything is hearsay and there's no real evidence, so the NCAA will "investigate" and maybe find that Auburn broke some random, small rule and will be penalized by taking away 5 minutes a coach can talk to a recruit or something. Nothing is going to happen unless they uncover something huge.

Punisher 04-04-2013 08:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by critesy (Post 3320364)
dont know if youve noticed, but every player whose been quoted has said that she mis-quoted them and took it way out of context. its a garbage article.

Take your homer goggles off kid.

bearsfan_51 04-04-2013 10:13 AM

The idea that you would ever have to change a grade at Auburn is the only surprising thing about this. Did they spell cat wrong?

P-L 04-04-2013 10:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by critesy (Post 3320364)
dont know if youve noticed, but every player whose been quoted has said that she mis-quoted them and took it way out of context. its a garbage article.

How do you take this out of context:

Quote:

"I had no clue what it was about because I'd never directly asked him for anything," McNeil told Roberts. "He slid about $400 over to me. He went into a drawer and gave me money and said, 'Is this enough? Is this good?' And I said, 'Yeah, I'm good.' "
Were they playing Monopoly? Was Muschamp trying to buy Park Place from McNeil?

Quote:

Thorpe said coaches gave players $500 to entertain current Cincinnati Bengals cornerback Dre Kirkpatrick, even though the NCAA reportedly limits expenses to less than $50 per day.
I'm wondering what Thorpe could've meant by this quote, because he clearly didn't mean that Auburn coaches gave players $500 to entertain a recruit despite the fact that's exactly what it sounds like.

I expected the Miami-defense from Auburns fans. The "those players are just mad at the program and making this stuff up" argument is somewhat believable, even if unlikely. The "players were mis-quoted and taken out of context" argument is hilariously stupid.

BallerT1215 04-04-2013 10:38 AM

They did not get a good return on investment last year, I will tell you that.


Auburn is in some ****.

princefielder28 04-04-2013 11:22 AM

They're paying the price for hiring a terrible coach like Chizik in the first place. Now Malzahn can try to fix his old boss's problems but this school is gonna be terrible for a while.

pierce2walker 04-04-2013 02:52 PM

No recruiting ethics and non-existent academic standards in SEC football. Color me shocked. But as someone else mentioned, the NCAA is as corrupt as anyone, so what can you do.

iowatreat54 04-04-2013 03:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pierce2walker (Post 3320918)
No recruiting ethics and non-existent academic standards in SEC football. Color me shocked. But as someone else mentioned, the NCAA is as corrupt as anyone, so what can you do.

Sit on your moral high horse and thumb your noses at them like the Big Ten?

critesy 04-04-2013 04:51 PM

i doubt anyone even cares, but we here go....

i understand shady stuff goes on at auburn and other places as well, but when its presented in such a **** article like this. how can it be taken seriously?

since none of yall probably read into as much as i have ill skim through and give cliffs. (these are all just clippings of people off twitter that ive read)

-@MikeBlanc93: Man this article is outrageous and isn't true. The media will do anything for a juicy story smh #sad

thats one player she quoted.

-Bates said when he hosted a recruit, he was given the $50 allowed by the NCAA

Former Alabama DB Dre Kirkpatrick said that Auburn players spent little or no money on him during his recruiting visit.

(alledged his host spent $500 with dre on his visit)

- I enjoyed how the article states that we did everything to keep players eligible and then complains we drug tested extensively with bias.

Makes about as much sense as pushing someone to prison to keep you in good graces and to keep them quiet.

-auburn police chief dawson: "I have never cared what any football coach over there wanted or how he felt we should do our job. They don't tell us how to police"

-neiko thorpe "While I spoke to Selena Roberts about Mike I have just read her article & not only am I misquoted but my words are very out of context. We didn't talk about NCAA violations or recruiting. I'm proud 2 have played at Auburn & the opportunities it gave me"

- RT @pat_dooley: Talked to Will (Muschamp) today. Totally denied allegation. Has an idea why it was made.
(although thats expected, so whatever)

-Mike Dyer was never close to being declared ineligible at Auburn, his uncle told @aldotcom. http://ow.ly/jKU1k

According to a source, Mike Dyer passed 15 hours of classes in the fall of 2010.

-Gene Chizik, Will Muschamp, Mike Dyer's uncle, Mike Blanc, Dre Kirkpatrick, Neiko Thorpe all denied parts, if not all Selena Roberts' story.

- http://auburn.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1491490 heres a free story with mike blanc, on what happened

-One line from Chizik's statement: "Unfortunately, Ms. Roberts’ story is long on accusation and inference, but short on facts and logic."

-the only person to not be taken out of context or misquoted, is mike mcneil, the guy who got arrested for armed robbery and is facing life in prison.

-and then theres a whole bunch of things that doesnt involve the violations and such that just contradict themselves in this story about mike mcneil.

edit, deadspin basically just put together what i did.

http://deadspin.com/what-the-hell-is...m=socialf low

edit #2, http://www.790thezone.com/podcasts/E....aspx?PID=2610 heres a radio interview she did this morning saying she taped most of the interviews but wont put them online to prove she's right. (???)

critesy 04-04-2013 04:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iowatreat54 (Post 3320487)
Not saying any of it is true or the article is garbage, but really? You offer up an Auburn alumn/writer as support against something anti-Auburn? It's not like he would have any sort of bias whatsoever and would completely admit that his school may have done something wrong...

well i dont think anyone who isnt pro-auburn would really dig deep to find out that this story sucks, so it kinda has to be some with bias. he actually went along with some of the story too, if you cared to read all of it. (dont blame you)

Again, not saying any of it's true, but this is like asking a Penn State fan/writer if Penn State did anything wrong.

And ya, at this point everything is hearsay and there's no real evidence, so the NCAA will "investigate" and maybe find that Auburn broke some random, small rule and will be penalized by taking away 5 minutes a coach can talk to a recruit or something. Nothing is going to happen unless they uncover something huge.


answered in bold up there.

jrdrylie 04-04-2013 06:09 PM

Critesy, here is another take on why people are recanting their statements. This is from local sports talk radio, some of whom are Auburn fans.

College football fans in Alabama are obsessed idiots. When people say bad things about Alabama or Auburn, they are killed by fans. Just a few days ago, a reporter was being interviewed and said that some current Alabama player who plays offense should switch to defense because he has a much better chance at getting to the NFL on that side of the ball. Alabama fans called in killing this reporter because they thought he was criticizing an Alabama player.

So these players talked to a reporter. Maybe they thought it was off the record. Maybe they thought it would be anonymous. But when the report comes out, their names are attached to it. Not wanting to get attacked by a rabid, idiotic fanbase, they say they were misquoted or taken out of context.

I am much more inclined to believe a 25-year journalist who has written for high profile newspapers and magazines over a bunch of Auburn players who are scared of the backlash they are about to face. What does Roberts gain from misquoting these players? She is already a well known journalist but blatantly misquoting these players could ruin her career.

Also it is now being reported that Auburn has a big problem with players using synthetic marijuana.

critesy 04-04-2013 06:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jrdrylie (Post 3321109)
Critesy, here is another take on why people are recanting their statements. This is from local sports talk radio, some of whom are Auburn fans.

College football fans in Alabama are obsessed idiots. When people say bad things about Alabama or Auburn, they are killed by fans. Just a few days ago, a reporter was being interviewed and said that some current Alabama player who plays offense should switch to defense because he has a much better chance at getting to the NFL on that side of the ball. Alabama fans called in killing this reporter because they thought he was criticizing an Alabama player.

So these players talked to a reporter. Maybe they thought it was off the record. Maybe they thought it would be anonymous. But when the report comes out, their names are attached to it. Not wanting to get attacked by a rabid, idiotic fanbase, they say they were misquoted or taken out of context.

I am much more inclined to believe a 25-year journalist who has written for high profile newspapers and magazines over a bunch of Auburn players who are scared of the backlash they are about to face. What does Roberts gain from misquoting these players? She is already a well known journalist but blatantly misquoting these players could ruin her career.

Also it is now being reported that Auburn has a big problem with players using synthetic marijuana.

yeah i can see it from that point of view. i mean shes had one good piece about a-rod and roids back in like.. 03? i think. and then she had a horrible article which people think got her canned from the NYT about duke lacrosse players (rape). and she didnt get back on with SI, and now she has some random ass blog site that she writes a story like this to get hits and upstart her career again.

and the thing with synthetic marijuana is true but it wasnt illegal til late (aug ish) 2011 in alabama/ncaa i believe. so its not a big deal til then.

gpngc 04-04-2013 06:33 PM

Doesn't this kind of kill Muschamp's reputation...

It's possible the kid is lying but that's a very specific recollection of an encounter.

This is a major coach at a major University...

I guess it means a lot that he came out and denied it right away...


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:18 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.