Draft Countdown Forums

Draft Countdown Forums (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/index.php)
-   2014 NFL Draft Forum (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=47)
-   -   Bucs to Draft a QB? (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/showthread.php?t=56234)

SolidGold 04-11-2013 09:33 AM

Bucs to Draft a QB?

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap100...n-josh-freeman

Should be interesting to see if a guy like Jones or Wilson is available when they pick in the third round.

BallerT1215 04-11-2013 09:45 AM

I read that as well.

Is there any reason why Schiano would have dislike for Freeman?? I mean you can see he has all the tools.

princefielder28 04-11-2013 10:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BallerT1215 (Post 3326568)
I read that as well.

Is there any reason why Schiano would have dislike for Freeman?? I mean you can see he has all the tools.

expect bucfan12 to reply to this thread

Freeman isn't consistent enough even with all the tools, I guess.

NMfootball85 04-11-2013 10:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolidGold (Post 3326556)
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap100...n-josh-freeman

Should be interesting to see if a guy like Jones or Wilson is available when they pick in the third round.

Jones would be an instant up grade to freeman... Freeman was overdrafted and has not performed... Landry Jones is the all time leading big twelve passer and 7 first round draft QB's have come out of the big twelve in the last 6 years and freeman was one of them.. Jones is still the first round talent that he was last year.. The knocks on him arent true and he will go first or early second so if the bucs want him they have to draft him early....

scottyboy 04-11-2013 10:09 AM

I'm surprised. Schiano's loved terribly mediocre QB's his whole career, so you'd figure he'd stick with freeman

Iamcanadian 04-11-2013 10:09 AM

Maybe, they just feel that Freeman responds well to real competition.

Malaka 04-11-2013 10:09 AM

That's interesting Freeman seems like the perfect QB for Schiano. Hand-off. Hand-Off. Play-action, lob it deep to V-Jax.

FUNBUNCHER 04-11-2013 10:56 AM

If this isn't an effort by Schiano to indirectly motivate Freeman to elevate his play, he'll find out very shortly it's not that easy to upgrade from Josh Freeman.

Freeman is still improving as a QB and still looks like one of the more promising young QBs in the league.
I have a hard time believing the Bucs are looking to move in a different direction at QB.

gpngc 04-11-2013 11:13 AM

This thread is appropriate to share a thought I had.

Everyone keeps mocking the 2nd-3rd round QBs Barkley, Nassib, Manuel etc. to JAC, PHI, NYJ, OAK, BUF, CLE etc. Then there's Matt Scott, Dysert, Tyler Wilson, Glennon, Landry Jones, etc. in the 3rd-4th round range.

My point is this - don't be surprised if teams like TB, TEN, MIN, CIN, SD, HOU, and possibly CHI and PIT take QBs semi-early.

NMfootball85 04-11-2013 11:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FUNBUNCHER (Post 3326619)
If this isn't an effort by Schiano to indirectly motivate Freeman to elevate his play, he'll find out very shortly it's not that easy to upgrade from Josh Freeman.

Freeman is still improving as a QB and still looks like one of the more promising young QBs in the league.
I have a hard time believing the Bucs are looking to move in a different direction at QB.

They should move in a different direction.. and Freeman is an example of why stats matter and show a skill level and tell you what your going to get. Freeman stats are pretty much the same as college 4 years later.

gs comp att % yds ypa td int.
Josh freeman 57 1,101 1,873 58.8 12,963 6.92 78 95 63 24 79.8.
Landry Jones 50 1388 2183 63.5 16,647 7.57 123 52 142.

I know stats in the nfl and college don't compare but Josh has not improved much from college.
Freeman KSU 680 1152 57.9 8078 7 44 34 122. three year starter

Freeman hasnt improved at all.. completion average about the same but his YPA has gone down.. The bucs will draft QB and have a competition.. Landry would be a much better choice..

SolidGold 04-11-2013 11:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gpngc (Post 3326635)
This thread is appropriate to share a thought I had.

Everyone keeps mocking the 2nd-3rd round QBs Barkley, Nassib, Manuel etc. to JAC, PHI, NYJ, OAK, BUF, CLE etc. Then there's Matt Scott, Dysert, Tyler Wilson, Glennon, Landry Jones, etc. in the 3rd-4th round range.

My point is this - don't be surprised if teams like TB, TEN, MIN, CIN, SD, HOU, and possibly CHI and PIT take QBs semi-early.

Yep. That's why this QB class is so intriguing.

Freeman isn't improving - he is what he is - inconsistent. Capable of some good performances but can't carry a team. His play improved when Doug Martin was making his biggest impact and once Martin hit the rookie wall Freeman also began to slump and go back to his erratic ways.

brasho 04-11-2013 12:17 PM

It's hard for a QB to improve when he is was on his 3rd OC in his 4 years in the league. It's not like he's got the wheels like Newton, Griffin, or Kaepernick to be his own checkdown. He has to do it with his arm, on a team that has lacked weapons for a long time, and hasn't had a D that has been any better than bottom 10 since he got there.

He's got tons to do to improve his game, but he isn't 25 yet, played great for all of 2010 and most of 2012 (threw 27 TDs and 17 INTs and 8 of those INTs came in a 2 game stretch late in the season. He had a 5 game stretch earlier in the season where he was well above 100 rating, had 13 TDs to 1 IN. He needs to be more consistent... and he needs more help. Dallas Clark was horrible for him last season and he was discouraged from using his feet to help him as well. His mechanics have been off since 2010. Once he gets his mechanics back and after a 2nd year with the same Buc OC, he will be fine.

Anybody suggesting that ANY 3rd round QB can come in right away and be better than him has no clue what they are talking about. Landry Jones? I don't even have to prove that ridiculous point wrong. Once the 1st and 2nd rounds are over and Landry Jones isn't drafted, anybody that has made a foolish claim of him being a 1st rounder will be proven wrong.

brasho 04-11-2013 12:19 PM

Bucfan12 is not a fan of Freeman and is under the presumption that David Greene... uhh, Eric Zeier... no.. you know, the weak armed Major Applewhite wannabe at Georgia now...uhh Aaron Murray is a 1st round QB and will be a stud in the NFL. Take it with a grain of salt.

batsandgats 04-11-2013 12:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brasho (Post 3326709)
It's hard for a QB to improve when he is was on his 3rd OC in his 4 years in the league. It's not like he's got the wheels like Newton, Griffin, or Kaepernick to be his own checkdown. He has to do it with his arm, on a team that has lacked weapons for a long time, and hasn't had a D that has been any better than bottom 10 since he got there.

He's got tons to do to improve his game, but he isn't 25 yet, played great for all of 2010 and most of 2012 (threw 27 TDs and 17 INTs and 8 of those INTs came in a 2 game stretch late in the season. He had a 5 game stretch earlier in the season where he was well above 100 rating, had 13 TDs to 1 IN. He needs to be more consistent... and he needs more help. Dallas Clark was horrible for him last season and he was discouraged from using his feet to help him as well. His mechanics have been off since 2010. Once he gets his mechanics back and after a 2nd year with the same Buc OC, he will be fine.

Anybody suggesting that ANY 3rd round QB can come in right away and be better than him has no clue what they are talking about. Landry Jones? I don't even have to prove that ridiculous point wrong. Once the 1st and 2nd rounds are over and Landry Jones isn't drafted, anybody that has made a foolish claim of him being a 1st rounder will be proven wrong.

you forgot to mention that 4 of those 8 interceptions came against the Saints, the worst defense in NFL history, of course only yardage wise but they weren't much better in other areas, had a hard time getting turnovers, mainly interceptions. I thought he had promise but he was terrible in that game, and has been inconsistent in many others. I don't think it hurts to bring in competition. What would it hurt? I don't think they would get someone in the 3rd with the plans of being a starter, but to bring competition, if that rattles him then so be it, otherwise it could make him step his game up. I mean he has been in the league 4 years, why not bring in competition for the 5th? how many years do you give him to develop? 5? 6?

BallerT1215 04-11-2013 12:54 PM

He has definitely been inconsistent, but you can also point to the fact of 3 OC's in his 4 years. Throw in the fact that two seasons ago, that team was a complete lost case where half of the team had quit mid-season and he had people like Blount as his #1 RB.

There has been numerous times he has put this team on his back though, and won them games. He has the talent, and he has the ability to win as he has shown. Another year with Vjax and M-Will and the Muscle Hamster, he will keep getting better.

I would trade for him in a heartbeat.

batsandgats 04-11-2013 12:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BallerT1215 (Post 3326754)
He has definitely been inconsistent, but you can also point to the fact of 3 OC's in his 4 years. Throw in the fact that two seasons ago, that team was a complete lost case where half of the team had quit mid-season and he had people like Blount as his #1 RB.

There has been numerous times he has put this team on his back though, and won them games. He has the talent, and he has the ability to win as he has shown. Another year with Vjax and M-Will and the Muscle Hamster, he will keep getting better.

I would trade for him in a heartbeat.

hey now Blount was a great runner, I think he just got lazy at times and didn't learn to pass protect and isn't that great as a receiver. Id trade for him if he would be willing to improve his work ethic.

as far as Freeman, yeah he has had multiple coordinators but this year should be a make or break year for him. I don't see any harm in bringing in a 3rd or 4th round qb for competition, letting him learn the system. Most coaches want "their" qb anyway which seems to be the situation.

BallerT1215 04-11-2013 01:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by batsandgats (Post 3326760)
hey now Blount was a great runner, I think he just got lazy at times and didn't learn to pass protect and isn't that great as a receiver. Id trade for him if he would be willing to improve his work ethic.

He is also one of the worst goal line backs I've ever seen for his size.

batsandgats 04-11-2013 06:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BallerT1215 (Post 3326766)
He is also one of the worst goal line backs I've ever seen for his size.

certainly not on the level of Ron Danyne though

BallerT1215 04-11-2013 06:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by batsandgats (Post 3327000)
certainly not on the level of Ron Danyne though

Victory is yours.

Black Bolt 04-11-2013 07:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NMfootball85 (Post 3326644)
They should move in a different direction.. and Freeman is an example of why stats matter and show a skill level and tell you what your going to get. Freeman stats are pretty much the same as college 4 years later.

gs comp att % yds ypa td int.
Josh freeman 57 1,101 1,873 58.8 12,963 6.92 78 95 63 24 79.8.
Landry Jones 50 1388 2183 63.5 16,647 7.57 123 52 142.

I know stats in the nfl and college don't compare but Josh has not improved much from college.
Freeman KSU 680 1152 57.9 8078 7 44 34 122. three year starter

Freeman hasnt improved at all.. completion average about the same but his YPA has gone down.. The bucs will draft QB and have a competition.. Landry would be a much better choice..

Well, I see you finally got to the point. Jones is some cold garbage.

49erNation85 04-11-2013 08:19 PM

Bucs need to trade for tebow and let come back home to Florida.

SickwithIt1010 04-11-2013 08:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 49erNation85 (Post 3327134)

Tebow's ass needs to go up to Canada and never come back to this league.

BallerT1215 04-11-2013 08:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 49erNation85 (Post 3327134)

Just stop it. Stop........ya feel me?......Stop.

DeadEagle 04-11-2013 11:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brasho (Post 3326709)
It's hard for a QB to improve when he is was on his 3rd OC in his 4 years in the league.

Freeman has only ever played under 2 offensive coordinators.... going into his 5th season.

I know you are trying to dummy up the stat, including the 3 or 4 months Freeman worked with Jeff Jagodzinski right after he was drafted, but Freeman also had another 2 months to get into rhythm with numnuts' playbook after the firing and before he hit the field in week 9 or 10 his rookie year.

This isn't exactly a Jason Campbell-esque situation with merry-O.C.-go-round that you are making it out to be.

That excuse drives me absolutely bonkers.

G Mobile 04-11-2013 11:38 PM

Freeman has been inconsistent but I think he is far and away better than any of the options in this draft. Bucs might look for a developmental guy in the mid to late rounds though. This upcoming season is Freemans last year on his contract so its really make or break.

If/when they get rid of him they might be in for harsh surprise. There are teams much worse off.