Draft Countdown Forums

Draft Countdown Forums (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/index.php)
-   2014 NFL Draft Forum (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=47)
-   -   So Is Jacksonville Taking a QB? (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/showthread.php?t=56287)

Nastradamus 04-14-2013 10:51 PM

So Is Jacksonville Taking a QB?

They've said they are down to one or two guys and its unlikely a trade package could be put together that would entice them. The GM then comments about the direction of the franchise. All of that sounds like QB to me. Geno or EJ if I had to guess.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...o-two-choices/

pierce2walker 04-14-2013 10:57 PM

Pretty interesting. Basically means they've decided on who they want and have a second choice just in case that guy goes #1. Based off those comments, they seem pretty confident that KC won't pick their guy either.

49erNation85 04-14-2013 11:07 PM

poor gabbert

SickwithIt1010 04-14-2013 11:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 49erNation85 (Post 3330770)
poor gabbert

Only thing poor about Gabbert is his game.

Brent 04-14-2013 11:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SickwithIt1010 (Post 3330772)
Only thing poor about Gabbert is his game.

well done.

BuckeyeDan17 04-15-2013 12:15 AM

Take EJ so Lombardi can't draft him.

FUNBUNCHER 04-15-2013 12:19 AM

I wonder how much the Jags team owner is going to be involved in this selection.
If Shahid Khan is channeling his inner Jerry Jones, for the sake of the Jags organization I hope they totally bust on their first round pick.

TACKLE 04-15-2013 12:29 AM

I'm gonna be a bit surprised if it isn't Geno at 2. Sometimes tough to predict what a team will do with new management top-to-bottom and a brand new coaching staff. Two things to consider: 1. Shad Khan has flat out said they are rebuilding this team from the ground up. 2. A great point ATL made...GM Dave Caldwell cut his teeth with the Atlanta Falcons. In 2008 after Petrino and Vick left, a lot people thought they were in too much disarray to draft a non-elite QB like Matt Ryan and thought they should take Dorsey or Jake Long if he was there and start their rebuild in the trenches. Instead they started their rebuild with their QB and built around him, not the other way around. With those two factors and their not so hidden interest in him, I do expect in the end Geno will be their guy.

JT Jag 04-15-2013 12:35 AM

The speculation in Jacksonville is that it probably won't be a quarterback. Whenever top Jaguars brass talk about the draft, they drop hints (or just outright statements) that they would be open to trading down if the price is right. If the Jaguars were so sure that Geno was the franchise guy for them going forward, they wouldn't be entertaining trade offers (barring RG3-esque megadeals) and would just be set on taking him.

So a lot of people are thinking Dion Jordan is the leader in the clubhouse right now.

TACKLE 04-15-2013 12:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JT Jag (Post 3330844)
The speculation in Jacksonville is that it probably won't be a quarterback. Whenever top Jaguars brass talk about the draft, they drop hints (or just outright statements) that they would be open to trading down if the price is right. If the Jaguars were so sure that Geno was the franchise guy for them going forward, they wouldn't be entertaining trade offers (barring RG3-esque megadeals) and would just be set on taking him.

So a lot of people are thinking Dion Jordan is the leader in the clubhouse right now.

Two ways of thinking about that. The first is your line of thinking which I do understand. The other is by them being coy and understated in their (possible) interest in Geno, they are discouraging teams from trading up in front of them. We all know KC would like to move out of #1 if they could and Geno is the only player a team (ie. Oakland or Philly) would trade up for. If they were not shy about their (possible) interest, one of those two teams could theoretically jump ahead of them and steal him.

I do think it will be either Dion or Geno but obviously I'm sticking Geno just because the Jags need another Gene Smith in the building. :P For the sake of the Jags, I hope I'm right. Dion would be a very good pick in his own right and a great fit at LEO but they can't afford to pass on Geno if they think he can be their guy.

Scott Wright 04-15-2013 01:20 AM

Based on what I've been hearing I expect the Jaguars to go with a pass rusher at #2.

My guess is they would then target Matt Barkley or Ryan Nassib at #33 overall.

nobodyinparticular 04-15-2013 01:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scott Wright (Post 3330890)
Based on what I've been hearing I expect the Jaguars to go with a pass rusher at #2.

Sharrif Floyd? Please say yes.

BallerT1215 04-15-2013 01:29 AM

I just can't see them going QB @ 2.

Pass rusher has to be it, fix the first of many needs.

FUNBUNCHER 04-15-2013 02:22 AM

Dion Jordan reminds me of a combo between Aldon Smith and Von Miller. Just didn't see him rush enough at Oregon but you can see his potential.
I wonder how likely it is one of the franchises that scrambled to sign a backup QB this offseason to be their starter will still target a QB in the first round?

If the Jags are trying to throw out a misdirection on Geno, it worked by sending your top front office personnel and coaches to see his pro day.

FUNBUNCHER 04-15-2013 02:24 AM

duesouth 04-15-2013 03:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scott Wright (Post 3330890)

Ironically Barkley would have been a nice fit for Mike Mularkey's system. I've heard some rumblings about Matt Scott - we have his former QB coach on staff...

I have thought all along we would take a QB - I hope it's not until day two though, just because I think Geno Smith is very similar to Gabbert.

FUNBUNCHER 04-15-2013 03:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by duesouth (Post 3330927)
Ironically Barkley would have been a nice fit for Mike Mularkey's system. I've heard some rumblings about Matt Scott - we have his former QB coach on staff...

I have thought all along we would take a QB - I hope it's not until day two though, just because I think Geno Smith is very similar to Gabbert.

Similar in that you think both suck??
Or similar as in, you don't want either to QB your team??
Their playing style and efficiency as collegians is nowhere near the same.

duesouth 04-15-2013 06:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FUNBUNCHER (Post 3330930)
Similar in that you think both suck??
Or similar as in, you don't want either to QB your team??
Their playing style and efficiency as collegians is nowhere near the same.

Similar in terms of slow eyes - I'm very much with Greg Cosell in terms of my evaluation of Smith. Gabbert the same, just can't get through his progressions fast enough.

I think I had Gabbert as my #6 QB when he came out - Smith is my #5 this year - so I don't like either of them - didn't want Gabbert and I certainly now don't want Smith as I think he will have the same problems in the league.

FUNBUNCHER 04-15-2013 08:07 AM

I think Cosell needs to consider when he says Geno has 'slow eyes' IMO Smith is mostly waiting too long for a deeper route to come open when he doesn't have the protection to wait and should instead throw the ball short underneath.

Cosell wondered if what he saw as being slow recognition time for certain plays by Geno was typical of him, which I doubt, or if it was poor decision-making by Geno on certain downs.
Geno is going to have to learn to play with a better pace and timing in the pros, but I still see it being something that can be corrected. It's not like Smith was playing behind the Alabama Oline and had as long as he wanted to wait for a play to come open, and if it didn't he ran.

I do think Cosell is one of the better analysts in the game today, and if he saw something IMO it was there on film. I just don't know to what degree.

H.O.O.D 04-15-2013 08:31 AM

IMO they are down to Dion Jordan and Sharrif Floyd.

thebow305 04-15-2013 08:43 AM

I just don't see how they don't take Geno after having everyone possible in attendance at his Pro Day.

Nastradamus 04-15-2013 09:02 AM

Yah, I just have to think its Geno. Once KC settled on Alex, I think they realized they were in position to take whoever they thought was the best QB in the draft. Geno isn't perfect, but its not easy to find that combination of arm strength, accuracy, athleticism, production and work ethic/character(sorry Nawrocki).

energizerbunny 04-15-2013 09:12 AM

I think taking the pass rusher first is the right move. With so many QBs lumped together this year, the guy you take at #33 might be better than the guy you take at #2 anyway.

WCH 04-15-2013 01:38 PM

Geno isn't good enough to go #1 but he's good enough to go #2?

Sorry vidae.

Babylon 04-15-2013 01:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WCH (Post 3331270)
Geno isn't good enough to go #1 but he's good enough to go #2?

Sorry vidae.

Neither. And when they're right back there next year with Manziel and Bridgewater on the board they're going to look even dumber.