Draft Countdown Forums

Draft Countdown Forums (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/index.php)
-   2014 NFL Draft Forum (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=47)
-   -   Tavarres King, WR, Georgia (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/showthread.php?t=56333)

Robcards 04-18-2013 09:08 AM

Tavarres King, WR, Georgia

Hopefully I did my search right this time and in fact this is the first thread about this player this time.

Why isn't King rated higher? While he may not have elite measurables, he certainly doesn't have any red-flag ones either. 4.47 40, 36.5" vert, 33.08" arms, is 6'0" 189 which seems about average, obviously not as tall as you'd like but considering his speed it seems fine to me.
He doesn't have any character concerns that I know of, except for an alcohol related arrest in 2010, which is hardly note-worthy.

Regarding his tape, what I really like is his ability to hang on to the ball after getting hit. I haven't really seen him make drop much. He has deceptive speed and can run past defenders on deep routes. I suppose he could use some work on route running but so can every receiver coming out of college.

So, what am I missing? Why is he only a day 3 prospect? Feel like he'd be a steal if he lasts until the 5th round or later.

Here's his tape vs Alabama:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h6icpWm86bI

1:35 to see what I mean by hanging on to the ball after contact btw

princefielder28 04-18-2013 09:18 AM

I see King as a third or fourth round selection. He won't fall as far as he did the forum mock.

Robcards 04-18-2013 09:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by princefielder28 (Post 3333999)
I see King as a third or fourth round selection. He won't fall as far as he did the forum mock.

Not just speaking in terms of the forum mock, most sites that rank prospects down that far have him as a day 3 guy, I'm seeing a lot of 5th round grades. He seems worth a 3rd rounder to me, or maybe this WR class really is just this deep.

Iamcanadian 04-18-2013 10:55 AM

He's a decent prospect who will be drafted anywhere from late round 3 all the way down to round 5, with round 4 his likely destination. Positives include nice straight line speed but he is a long strider who has trouble getting separation because of it. He can also accelerate past coverage and has some nice double moves. His main weakness is his strength, he is just too easily muscled off his routes and has some problems getting off the LOS.
He's not going to break tackles and isn't shifty after the catch and isn't aggressive enough battling for loose balls.
That being said, he has a shot to be a #3 receiver mainly because he has deep speed and long arms.

Robcards 04-18-2013 11:05 AM

Hmm you may have nailed it with the lack of separation. I was huge on Alshon Jeffrey last year and that was the big knock on him.

georgiafan 04-18-2013 11:07 AM

His biggest problem is his hands drops to many passes

Robcards 04-18-2013 11:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by georgiafan (Post 3334099)
His biggest problem is his hands drops to many passes

In what games? His hands seem good to me in all the games I've seen.

georgiafan 04-18-2013 02:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Robcards (Post 3334121)
In what games? His hands seem good to me in all the games I've seen.

I can't think of any game off the top of my head since i've seen every one of his college games. But he droped alot of passes through out his career mosty on deep passes though he did seem to improve a little on it as he got older.

Robcards 04-18-2013 02:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by georgiafan (Post 3334459)
I can't think of any game off the top of my head since i've seen every one of his college games. But he droped alot of passes through out his career mosty on deep passes though he did seem to improve a little on it as he got older.

The fact that he improved on drops throughout his career is a plus in my mind. If he can continue to improve he can start in the NFL in no time.

diabsoule 04-18-2013 06:25 PM

He reminds me a lot of Devery Henderson

BallerT1215 04-18-2013 07:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by diabsoule (Post 3334668)
He reminds me a lot of Devery Henderson

Why the hell is he still not signed. By the Bills preferably.

dunagan15 04-18-2013 07:33 PM

He just isn't great at any one thing. His 4.47 speed def doesn't translate to the field at all. His route running is pretty piss poor, never lived up to the role of the #1 guy. I see him as #4 WR on a team and a possession guy. He does drop a lot of balls and I think it may have to do with his overall lack of interest, he just disappears way too often.