Draft Countdown Forums

Draft Countdown Forums (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/index.php)
-   Pro Football (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=44)
-   -   Favorite Color Commentators of All Time (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/showthread.php?t=56379)

JordanTaber 04-19-2013 11:47 PM

Favorite Color Commentators of All Time

1. Hank Stram - This guy could literally call plays before they happened. I've seen him do it on more than one occasion. "The 49ers may try a reverse to Rice soon to get the Bucs out of this defense." Sure enough, on the very next play, reverse to Rice. Sure, he may have talked to Bill Walsh before the game about the scripted first 15 plays or something, but it really didn't come across this way.

2. Bill Parcells - Parcells is fascinating no matter what role he's in, and this was no exception. He only did it for one year (1992), but he and Marv Albert were absolute heaven as a tandem.

3. Dick Vermeil - You'll notice a trend here...all the best color guys (to me) are former coaches. Vermeil was one of those guys who did his ******* research before games. He had all kinds of information from the coaching staffs of the teams he was covering.

4. John Madden in the 80s - I make this distinction because Madden in the 80s, which a lot of people don't seem to realize, was a different type of color commentator than he became later on. He was a true coach-analyst in those days, passionately discussing player techniques and various play calling strategies. Analytical-Madden eventually gave way to "BOOM, BAM, CIRCLE THE LAYGS OF THAT TURDUCKEN" Madden, which was OK in bits...but I prefer the younger guy who didn't limit his analysis to "X player is BIG and STRONG" and "Yeaaah annnnnd ya know, great players make great plays because they're great. X is a great player, and he just made a great play."

BallerT1215 04-19-2013 11:49 PM

I could listen to Gus Johnson do commentary on horse jumping and be entertained.

Hurricanes25 04-19-2013 11:57 PM

His voice can be annoying but Cris Collinsworth offers great insight.

yo123 04-19-2013 11:59 PM

Madden gets **** all the time but he's the standard we judge off from my generation.

I think Mayock is the only guy out there currently that I think is considerably better than average. Dan Dierdrof is undoubtedly the worst.

BallerT1215 04-20-2013 12:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hurricanes25 (Post 3336216)
His voice can be annoying but Cris Collinsworth offers great insight.

The one thing you can appreciate about Collinsworth is that he will always speak the truth on a player/play/situation. He doesn't worry about hurting anyones feelings so if someone makes a bonehead play, he calls them out on it no matter who it is.

flave1969 04-20-2013 09:02 AM

Used to listen to Jack Ham on AFN radio during the 80's over here in the UK. He was really good.

Good shout on Hank Stram he did MNF on the Radio with Jack Buck, listened to him do many Redskin MNF games at 1am.

The_Dude 04-20-2013 09:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BallerT1215 (Post 3336202)
I could listen to Gus Johnson do commentary on horse jumping and be entertained.

I can not stand Gus Johnson. He's my least favorite. A 2 yard run does not require screaming.

MetSox17 04-20-2013 10:17 AM

Well, Gus Johnson is play-by-play not color commentator so..

The_Dude 04-20-2013 10:21 AM

You are correct. See how frustrated thinking about Gus Johnson makes me! I just see red!

Giantsfan1080 04-20-2013 11:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The_Dude (Post 3336345)
I can not stand Gus Johnson. He's my least favorite. A 2 yard run does not require screaming.

Agreed. I can't stand the guy.

The Alex 04-20-2013 08:36 PM

1. Emmitt Smith

9001. Everyone else

stlouisfan37 04-20-2013 10:22 PM

I'm not sure if he does NFL or just college, but I really like Dan Fouts.

My least favorite of all time is Joe Theisman. "When I played..." Hey, Joe, you really weren't that good. He was especially annoying with Al McGuire, who loved to interrupt and point out that the guard's block was what made the play happen, not the QB's throw.

J-Mike88 04-21-2013 12:37 AM

Loved the voices of Don Criqui & Bob Trumpy.
Charlie Jones & Merlin Olsen too.
Probably only a few others besides me remember them.
The old Monday Night Football crew was all-time epic though.
You guys should youtube some of that old stuff with Cosell, Gifford, and Dandy Don.

Agreed that Joe Theismann was the worst ever.
What a pompous aszhole.