Draft Countdown Forums

Draft Countdown Forums (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/index.php)
-   2014 NFL Draft Forum (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=47)
-   -   Scott Wright's Initial Analysis of 2013 NFL Draft (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/showthread.php?t=56603)

Scott Wright 04-28-2013 02:53 PM

Scott Wright's Initial Analysis of 2013 NFL Draft
 
Posted my initial thoughts on every pick in the top three rounds. 6,000+ Words!


Initial Analysis of 2013 NFL Draft
http://www.draftcountdown.com/Results/Review-A.php

***

Scott Wright 04-28-2013 02:55 PM

I will also be posting more in-depth reviews with grades later this week.

49ersfan_87 04-28-2013 02:56 PM

Thanks for the analysis! Like the review on Reid.

As for Tank, he's going to play with his hand on the ground. Baalke said he's going to be a 3-4 DE. He'll be our replacement for Justin Smith.

Robcards 04-28-2013 03:03 PM

On point with the analysis of the Jets picks. I've been saying Austin would be a luxury pick for the Jets and we shouldn't take a slot receiver with Kerley emerging as a rare bright spot on our offense in that role for a while now. I think Richardson is more of a fit in Rex's scheme than Coples was last year though, so the pick doesn't surprise me too much, as the theme of BPA drafting seems to ignore scheme. Agree on the Geno comment as well, definitely worth the risk at #39.

Scott Wright 04-28-2013 03:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 49ersfan_87 (Post 3350850)
Thanks for the analysis! Like the review on Reid.

As for Tank, he's going to play with his hand on the ground. Baalke said he's going to be a 3-4 DE. He'll be our replacement for Justin Smith.

Thanks for the heads up! Haven't had time to read up on how teams plan to use guys yet.

Gonna go update the analysis for that pick.

fenikz 04-28-2013 03:37 PM

AZ is running a ZBS just for your information Scott

killxswitch 04-28-2013 03:44 PM

I don't know what to think about the Colts taking Khaled Holmes. He was not impressive in '12, but was supposedly pretty good in '11. Looking forward to your thoughts there Scott.

Scott Wright 04-28-2013 03:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fenikz (Post 3350875)
AZ is running a ZBS just for your information Scott

Are you sure?

That would be a change for Harold Goodwin, who has been a man-power guy.

Scott Wright 04-28-2013 03:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by killxswitch (Post 3350880)
I don't know what to think about the Colts taking Khaled Holmes. He was not impressive in '12, but was supposedly pretty good in '11. Looking forward to your thoughts there Scott.

I like Holmes as a mid-round pick.

REALLY liked him before the season but then had a disaster of a senior campaign just like every other USC prospect. Durability is an issue with Holmes and his being hurt was actually a pretty big factor in some of the Trojans struggles last year. There is some concern about Holmes' passion for the game as well. If his head is right and he is healthy Holmes absolutely has the talent to start in the NFL in my opinion. Big "If's" but that is why he was available in Round 4.

fenikz 04-28-2013 06:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scott Wright (Post 3350892)
Are you sure?

That would be a change for Harold Goodwin, who has been a man-power guy.

yup, BA said it personally

JT Jag 04-28-2013 11:33 PM

It seems everyone likes the Jaguars' draft. Like, vocally, going out of their way to say they like the Jaguars' draft.

I'm not sure if I can handle this.

Abaddon 04-29-2013 01:31 AM

Scott be hatin'.

duesouth 04-30-2013 07:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JT Jag (Post 3351273)
It seems everyone likes the Jaguars' draft. Like, vocally, going out of their way to say they like the Jaguars' draft.

I'm not sure if I can handle this.

I wasn't that impressed and fellow Jags fan in the UK weren't either...

First 2 picks no problems - Cyprien isn't perfect (bites too much on play action his big weakness) but I liked him more than Elam because of his size and range. Gratz great Combine - tape isn't great and certainly not better than Blidi Wreh-Wilson (who went a few picks later in division, which I think will be galling in 3 or 4 years); Robinson and Sanders I like - but I'm not sure I liked two "luxury" picks with so many other needs - Sanders combine numbers were very poor, which didn't match tape but is a concern particularly when he's so small. The late round DB's are OK - Evans as a center fielder; Harris I figured we would take - wiry kid, not as good as Davon House a couple of years back - raw; McCray I wasn't a huge fan - click and close guy fits I guess.

No QB was interesting - it was a weak class - bold decision for sure. Gabbert and Henne aren't the answer - hey maybe the UDFA Matt Scott can beat them out?! Mularkey only got one year - if we stink again (it's a QB league so likely) does that mean another HC gets fired?

AntoinCD 04-30-2013 07:58 AM

Harmon no doubt appears to be a major reach, however Belichick has a track record of going off his own board and in general those "reach" picks have actually worked out pretty well.

Sebastian Vollmer was considered a reach who could have been had in the 4th or 5th.

Stevan Ridley was a major reach too. Many people thought he should have been drafted as a FB late in the draft.

Tavon Wilson was a major reach but he actually played pretty well in spots last year.

I didn't like the pick at the time, however I will reserve judgement for now

Don Vito 04-30-2013 08:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AntoinCD (Post 3352564)
Harmon no doubt appears to be a major reach, however Belichick has a track record of going off his own board and in general those "reach" picks have actually worked out pretty well.

Sebastian Vollmer was considered a reach who could have been had in the 4th or 5th.

Stevan Ridley was a major reach too. Many people thought he should have been drafted as a FB late in the draft.

Tavon Wilson was a major reach but he actually played pretty well in spots last year.

I didn't like the pick at the time, however I will reserve judgement for now

I agree with this. When I first saw the pick it was one of those "WTF" moments, but after watching some videos on him and seeing what Scotty and some of the other RU fans had to say I am pretty intrigued. We haven't had a safety who can effectively deep since forever, sure he may have been a massive reach but we have failed on a lot of selections in the mid rounds so if they have confidence in Harmon I am OK with it. We have needed a player who can play deep for a while.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:10 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.