Draft Countdown Forums

Draft Countdown Forums (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/index.php)
-   2014 NFL Draft Forum (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=47)
-   -   Which 2014 Prospect Will Get Nit-Picked? (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/showthread.php?t=56668)

Kyle472 05-08-2013 10:17 AM

Which 2014 Prospect Will Get Nit-Picked?

This year it was Luke Joeckel, I think next year it will be Marqise Lee because his not 6'3 and people will say other receivers have more potential then him like Brandon Coleman.

Who do you think it ill be?

wicket 05-08-2013 10:34 AM

i honestly think that this year it was manti teo, next year it will be taylor lewan if i had to guess

Kyle472 05-08-2013 10:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wicket (Post 3358816)
i honestly think that this year it was manti teo, next year it will be taylor lewan if i had to guess

Manti is a good one, I picked Joeckel because he was the number 1 OT for so long and he got drafted behind a guy who back in February was being mocked to the Bears, all because Fisher could run faster and was a bit better at run blocking, plus they said Joeckel wasn't mean enough and ignoring the fact that he was a elite pass blocker.

SuperPacker 05-08-2013 10:45 AM

This year it was Geno Smith.

Next year, Teddy Bridgewater. Or Johnny Manziel if he declares.

WCH 05-08-2013 10:49 AM

Manziel is my guess. And if he declares? He sounds like he already has one foot out the door.

mightytitan9 05-08-2013 11:01 AM

It's still to be seen if Jake Matthews can play LT for the Aggies, I fully believe he can. I think he'll get knocked some because he only played LT one season, and had a very mobile QB in Manziel.

I for one, think Lewan is overrated a little so I don't think he'll be over criticized I just think he'll go where he actually should

jrdrylie 05-08-2013 11:03 AM

Geno Smith wasn't nitpicked. When I think of nitpicking, I think of finding tiny weaknesses and turning them into huge deals. Geno Smith fell due to glaring weaknesses. With that said, I'll say Jake Mathews.

AntoinCD 05-08-2013 11:11 AM

It's going to be Clowney. These mega prospects are always over-analyzed.

If he even gets slightly dinged up people are going to question his decision making for going back to school even though it's a ridiculous argument.

If he starts off slow people will be saying he is playing not to get hurt.

His technique will be questioned.

Despite his great production people will question why he doesn't put up ridiculous numbers every game.

If Spurrier pulls him to rest him his motor will be questioned.

It happens every single year there is an uber prospect coming out, hell people talked about Luck being a system QB with a sub par arm

ChiFan24 05-08-2013 11:22 AM

I've already begun nitpicking Marquise Lee, so that's my guess.

JHL6719 05-08-2013 11:24 AM

Pick any of the top 10 or so elite talents and they'll all get nitpicked to death. It's a given for all the quarterbacks with an exception that's always made...

... the exception for QB's is the kid who's big, athletic, can run, and has a strong arm. Their flaws will be overlooked and cast aside just like they were with Gabbert, E.J. Manuel, Cam Newton, Jake Locker, Ryan Tannehill, etc.

Find this QB and go ahead and predict he'll shoot up draft boards. You'll be right.

Find the QB's that don't absolutely, positively blow you away with all these traits, and that's the QB's that will be overanalyzed and picked apart. No matter how good they are.

Brown Leader 05-08-2013 11:35 AM

Bridgewater of course. I'll start. He takes way too many sacks and has a wind up delivery.

princefielder28 05-08-2013 11:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brown Leader (Post 3358881)
Bridgewater of course. I'll start. He takes way too many sacks and has a wind up delivery.

Wind up delivery? I'm not seeing any problems with his delivery. When I think wind up delivery, Byron Leftwich immediately comes to mind and Nassib was probably the best example of it this past year.

I think it'll be Manziel and with him I think there are some serious nits to pick.

Black Bolt 05-08-2013 12:37 PM

Joeckel was not nitpicked IMO. Warmack is the guy who got nitpicked. Smith started off getting nitpicked which turned into a flat out attack. Next year it will be Jake Matthews, Tyler Lewann, Marquise Lee and Teddy Bridgewater.

jrdrylie 05-08-2013 12:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AntoinCD (Post 3358862)

If he even gets slightly dinged up people are going to question his decision making for going back to school even though it's a ridiculous argument.

He didn't decide to go back to school. He was a true sophomore last year and wasn't allowed to declare.

SuperPacker 05-08-2013 01:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jrdrylie (Post 3358852)
Geno Smith wasn't nitpicked. When I think of nitpicking, I think of finding tiny weaknesses and turning them into huge deals. Geno Smith fell due to glaring weaknesses. With that said, I'll say Jake Mathews.

I'll never understand the "but he had good weapons!!" argument. It makes no sense, but apparently that was an issue with his game. He wanted to change his agent and it turns into a massive story about how he isn't responsible for his actions. He isn't happy when teams aren't picking him so he's immature and not a leader. Things like that which weren't happening to other prospects.

Robert Woods spoke out against USC after he left and so did Matt Barkley. If Geno Smith did that he would've been nit picked to death.

BallerT1215 05-08-2013 01:29 PM

Bridgewater. The QB is usually the most over analyzed position.

What they will say about Manziel is legitimate. Small dude lol.

FUNBUNCHER 05-08-2013 01:46 PM

AJ McCarron.

His production is going to be looked at through a microscope to decide if he was actually making plays, or the byproduct of a dominant football team.

The debate will be is he a first round prospect or a 4th rounder???

mightytitan9 05-08-2013 01:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Black Bolt (Post 3358908)
Warmack is the guy who got nitpicked.

Great point, he was most #1 prospect and then people started saying the liked Cooper better than him, which is beyond me

bigfreak314 05-08-2013 02:11 PM

A couple names come to mind. I don't think Manziel will declare after next season. It is going to be QB heavy draft so if he was wise he would wait to 2015 and make more money. Alabama QB Aj McCarron because he played on a talented team he reminds me of all the USC QB's who were also usually surrounded by talent as well. I don't think Clowney will be a target of this however because of his immense potential. Even if he was to get hurt or production drops he will still be the #1 overall pick.

TACKLE 05-08-2013 02:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jrdrylie (Post 3358852)

And what were these glaring weaknesses exactly?

Cigaro 05-08-2013 02:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SuperPacker (Post 3358952)
I'll never understand the "but he had good weapons!!" argument. It makes no sense, but apparently that was an issue with his game. He wanted to change his agent and it turns into a massive story about how he isn't responsible for his actions. He isn't happy when teams aren't picking him so he's immature and not a leader. Things like that which weren't happening to other prospects.

Robert Woods spoke out against USC after he left and so did Matt Barkley. If Geno Smith did that he would've been nit picked to death.

Well one of his receivers went top ten, the other went third round...not exactly a bare cupboard.

SuperPacker 05-08-2013 03:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cigaro (Post 3359055)
Well one of his receivers went top ten, the other went third round...not exactly a bare cupboard.

But having those receivers doesn't make him a better or worse QB. It'll inflate his stats but it'll do nothing to change how he throws the ball, how accurate he is, how strong his arm is etc.

It's just a stupid argument to use against someone.

tjsunstein 05-08-2013 03:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TACKLE (Post 3359053)
And what were these glaring weaknesses exactly?

Mostly his attitude and demeanor on and off the field. And I loved Geno.

tjsunstein 05-08-2013 03:06 PM

Marcus Mariota or Johnny Manziel are my guesses.

niel89 05-08-2013 03:14 PM

I think it will be Teddy. QBs are the one who get ripped appart most often, especially the top ranked ones coming in. Clowney will be fine as long as he is healthy.

Geno was a late 1st round talent who got nitpicked into the second. Its not like he was destroyed by the media and went in the 7th. This entire QB class stunk and they all fell hard (except for Manuel because the Bills lol).