Draft Countdown Forums

Draft Countdown Forums (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/index.php)
-   2015 NFL Draft Forum (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=47)
-   -   Colt Lyerla vs Austin Seferian-Jenkins (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/showthread.php?t=56731)

Kyle472 05-20-2013 10:20 AM

Colt Lyerla vs Austin Seferian-Jenkins
 
Which tight end do you like the most and why?

AntoinCD 05-20-2013 10:26 AM

I'm going to take Seferian-Jenkins but I love both.

Lyerla fits that move TE role really well and reminds me of a taller Aaron Hernandez.

Seferian-Jenkins to me is like Antonio Gates.

I think both are first round guys and it may depend on what offensive system you play, but without knowing that I am still taking ASJ.

Don Vito 05-20-2013 10:31 AM

Two great TE prospects, I don't know if we have ever seen a class with more than one potentially elite TE prospect.

I don't think you can go wrong. ASJ is more of a "traditional" TE prospect in that he is well rounded and has everything you look for in the position, but his athleticism is unreal for a player of his size. Most tight ends his size don't have that kind of athleticism, he could be the next Gronk.

Lyerla is just an absolute freak of nature. I don't really know if we have seen a player like him, he lines up at running back sometimes. This year will be big for him because he was used all over the place under Kelly and it was kind of tough to evaluate him as a TE but that wil definitely be his NFL position, and he has the tools to be an unbelievable one. He can split out wide and even carry the ball. I hate to use another Pats comparison but he does the things for the Ducks that Hernandez does for the Pats.

Lyerla has uncommon athleticism and his potential is limitless, but personally I would take ASJ right now. He has everything you look and more for in a true TE prospect. Lyerla is a first rounder on talent alone, if he has a big year they are both potential top 10 picks.

Brent 05-20-2013 10:37 AM

Lyerla is a guy I love because of his versatility; I think both offer a game that depend on which coaching staff wants them, obviously.

jrdrylie 05-20-2013 10:39 AM

I'll be honest, I don't think I've ever watched ASJ. But I love Lyerla. He is versatile and athletic. The only issue is that Chip Kelly didn't fully utilize him. Hopefully he is a bigget weapon next season. I really hope he ends up on the Bears in 2014.

princefielder28 05-20-2013 12:16 PM

I have broken down either player much, but from the little bit I have seen of each player I prefer Seferian-Jenkins. He's got exceptional size and the production to back up his abilities. With Lyerla, he wasn't maximized by Chip Kelly and with good quarterback play this should be a big year for someone with his skills.

BRAVEHEART 05-20-2013 12:19 PM

As of right now I'd take ASJ, but Lyerla has more upside.

BallerT1215 05-20-2013 02:06 PM

I like both players, but I'm fully on the ASJ train.

Keep in mind, Price wasn't exactly the best QB last season and needs to do a better job of getting ASJ the ball.

Babylon 05-20-2013 02:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BallerT1215 (Post 3368345)
I like both players, but I'm fully on the ASJ train.

Keep in mind, Price wasn't exactly the best QB last season and needs to do a better job of getting ASJ the ball.

He caught 69 passes so the production was very good for a TE. ASJ just got himself a DUI so he needs to keep his head on straight but the talent is all there.

Lyerla is more one of those guys who can play multiple positions, on that note he sort of reminds me a little of Brian Urlacher coming out of college. great hands and an unreal blocker.

BallerT1215 05-20-2013 02:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Babylon (Post 3368380)
He caught 69 passes so the production was very good for a TE. ASJ just got himself a DUI so he needs to keep his head on straight but the talent is all there.

Lyerla is more one of those guys who can play multiple positions, on that note he sort of reminds me a little of Brian Urlacher coming out of college. great hands and an unreal blocker.

It's also not the first time he is in trouble, so he probably is on his last strike.

He needs to pull a Michael Floyd, and just stay in his dorm this year because he'll easily be a top 15 pick.

DeepThreat 05-20-2013 03:50 PM

I'm a huge fan of both. Lyerla is an insane athlete at tight end with great burst and speed. I mean, this is a 6'5", 245-pound tight end.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...ynLwI#t=40 3s

ASJ, on the other hand, has just as much upside. He isn't quite as quick or explosive, but he's fast and massive. Dude is 6'6", 265-pounds and athletic enough to play WR.

Both look like top-20 guys to me.

thebow305 05-20-2013 04:45 PM

Lyerla is a great prospect in his own right and may have been the top guy if he was eligible for the 2013 draft, but ASJ is the top TE prospect we've had in the last 5 years IMO. The closest there is to Jimmy Graham and is a can't-miss prospect at the TE position. His size and leaping ability, combined with above average speed for the position make him a very intriguing top half of the first round selection for 2014. Mark it down.

Too bad his quarterback and offense suck, because he is being criminally underused. To that same effect, too bad he's also a criminal. :facepalm:

Sportsfan486 05-20-2013 07:45 PM

Both are elite TE prospects, in my opinion.

ASJ is absolutely one of the three or four best pure receiving TE prospect of the last decade, in my opinion. With a big year, he could easily be a top 5 pick.

Lyerla, however, is a prospect with a lot of potential. His versatility and open field ability is much better than ASJ, although he isn't as tall or spectacular at making difficult catches. I really like the comparison to a much taller Aaron Hernandez.

It really will depend on two things. A) What Lyerla produces this year; ASJ really has enough film that he isn't going to fall out of the first barring injury or more character concerns being raised, but Lyerla needs a really good year to be what people hope he is. B) what teams are looking for. A pure, TD machine Tight End or a Versatile H-Back/TE/FB.

Regardless, both are potentially much better prospects than anyone we've had the last couple of years.

BallerT1215 05-20-2013 10:29 PM

I want a dominant TE on the Bills so bad, and this is the first time in quite a few years that I feel the TE class has multiple badasses.

coach4fu 05-20-2013 11:23 PM

Kid made a mistake, but I wouldn't quite label him a criminal yet. Good to see ASJ has at least taken responsibility for his mistake....wish Colt would.

http://www.gohuskies.com/sports/m-fo...101712aaa.html

Quote:

Originally Posted by thebow305 (Post 3368469)
Lyerla is a great prospect in his own right and may have been the top guy if he was eligible for the 2013 draft, but ASJ is the top TE prospect we've had in the last 5 years IMO. The closest there is to Jimmy Graham and is a can't-miss prospect at the TE position. His size and leaping ability, combined with above average speed for the position make him a very intriguing top half of the first round selection for 2014. Mark it down.

Too bad his quarterback and offense suck, because he is being criminally underused. To that same effect, too bad he's also a criminal. :facepalm:


Attyla the Hawk 05-21-2013 02:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sportsfan486 (Post 3368540)
Both are elite TE prospects, in my opinion.

ASJ is absolutely one of the three or four best pure receiving TE prospect of the last decade, in my opinion. With a big year, he could easily be a top 5 pick.

Lyerla, however, is a prospect with a lot of potential. His versatility and open field ability is much better than ASJ, although he isn't as tall or spectacular at making difficult catches. I really like the comparison to a much taller Aaron Hernandez.

It really will depend on two things. A) What Lyerla produces this year; ASJ really has enough film that he isn't going to fall out of the first barring injury or more character concerns being raised, but Lyerla needs a really good year to be what people hope he is. B) what teams are looking for. A pure, TD machine Tight End or a Versatile H-Back/TE/FB.

Regardless, both are potentially much better prospects than anyone we've had the last couple of years.


Right now? ASJ no question. He has produced. When you look at his physical ability, it's game film in pads.

Lyerla -- if you look at his physical ability, it's in shorts and in a gym. He has tantalizing athleticism. But at some point the rubber needs to meet the road.

ASJ has already played up to heightened expectation and surpassed it. He took over games from a position that is difficult to accomplish that. Lyerla needs to be more than a footnote on a stat sheet to ascend to Jenkins' value. No matter how he looks in tights.

Statistically, it's hard to compare the two. Oregon probably enjoys 30% or more snaps per game than Washington does. But they also have way more talented options to go to. ASJ has great production but there wasn't a lot of other decent options to go to. And Price -- well he's a ruined prospect now. He feels pressure that isn't there and he just chucks it to ASJ and lets him go get it or outfight for it.

If you are a terrible team that needs a player to shoulder all the pressure and passing load, then ASJ is definitely your guy. Lyerla -- I don't think there is any way of really *knowing* if he can produce being the focal point of a passing attack. He certainly is explosive -- but defenses don't key on him because they can't.

Both look really good. But I don't see Lyerla being a top 10 guy. ASJ is a top 10 guy. He can and does regularly carry his team despite being bracketed in coverage and fighting safety help over the top. Lyerla will never be in a position to demonstrate that for Oregon.

coach4fu 05-21-2013 03:42 PM

Very well articulated...I agree on all points. Colt is fun to watch, but at this point, he is almost a gimmick with vast potential. ASJ is producing at a high level.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Attyla the Hawk (Post 3369206)
Right now? ASJ no question. He has produced. When you look at his physical ability, it's game film in pads.

Lyerla -- if you look at his physical ability, it's in shorts and in a gym. He has tantalizing athleticism. But at some point the rubber needs to meet the road.

ASJ has already played up to heightened expectation and surpassed it. He took over games from a position that is difficult to accomplish that. Lyerla needs to be more than a footnote on a stat sheet to ascend to Jenkins' value. No matter how he looks in tights.

Statistically, it's hard to compare the two. Oregon probably enjoys 30% or more snaps per game than Washington does. But they also have way more talented options to go to. ASJ has great production but there wasn't a lot of other decent options to go to. And Price -- well he's a ruined prospect now. He feels pressure that isn't there and he just chucks it to ASJ and lets him go get it or outfight for it.

If you are a terrible team that needs a player to shoulder all the pressure and passing load, then ASJ is definitely your guy. Lyerla -- I don't think there is any way of really *knowing* if he can produce being the focal point of a passing attack. He certainly is explosive -- but defenses don't key on him because they can't.

Both look really good. But I don't see Lyerla being a top 10 guy. ASJ is a top 10 guy. He can and does regularly carry his team despite being bracketed in coverage and fighting safety help over the top. Lyerla will never be in a position to demonstrate that for Oregon.


Sportsfan486 05-21-2013 05:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Attyla the Hawk (Post 3369206)
Both look really good. But I don't see Lyerla being a top 10 guy. ASJ is a top 10 guy. He can and does regularly carry his team despite being bracketed in coverage and fighting safety help over the top. Lyerla will never be in a position to demonstrate that for Oregon.

All it takes is one team to drool over someone's potential from a height/weight/athleticism standpoint. Look at DHB, Bruce Irvin, etc..

With the NFL becoming more and more of a sometimes gimmicky passing game, Lyerla will have creative offensive coaches drooling. I agree that ASJ is the better prospect but you also aren't going to line him up as an H-Back or have him run the ball or these other things you could play with when you have a guy like Lyerla.

I agree he needs a big year but I wouldn't be absolutely shocked if he went first. Not because he's a better prospect, he won't be, but because he offers things ASJ doesn't.

Attyla the Hawk 05-21-2013 05:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sportsfan486 (Post 3369430)
All it takes is one team to drool over someone's potential from a height/weight/athleticism standpoint. Look at DHB, Bruce Irvin, etc..

Well there is no accounting for stupidity. If the question was 'can he be a top 10 pick?', then by that measure anyone can and the question is moot.

Irvin wasn't a top 10 guy. DHB shouldn't have been a top 50 guy. Irvin however was wildly productive in college (and productive in the NFL) and productive at a key, game impacting role.

The question was a comparison between the two. Which by inference means we have to judge them by our own individual criteria. Not bound by ridiculous fantasies of a demented GM for whom the NFL had completely passed him by. In my opinion, Lyerla both hasn't done anything to merit top 10 consideration, and relative to one that clearly has -- it doesn't leave a lot of room for Lyerla to break into that.

Lyerla will need to be featured at Oregon to merit that. My guess is, the nature of the overall talent on that team will not be conducive to that. Because there are going to be QBs, LTs, DEs, WRs and other athletic freaks at positions that are far more impactful than an ancillary 2nd TE will be. ASJ is an everydown TE who is an asset in all phases of the game. If you're a team picking in the top 10, then you probably are missing a lot of players at positions of high impact.

TE, by it's nature, doesn't translate to wins very well. If you're a broken team and you are going to pick a TE that early, then he HAS to be dominant. Someone that can take a dominant place in a teams' passing attack. Because to take a TE that early, you are letting other excellent prospects slide off the board.

Colt can (should) be an awesome TE and could even be a better receiving TE in the pros. I like his athleticism and potential very much. Particularly for Seattle. But I suspect his value is going to put him in the late teens/20s and he'll be picked by a team that isn't broken and can afford to take a role/niche player with their first pick. I agree, teams are featuring H Back types more. But teams that can get value out of those players tend to be set at the foundation positions on the team. And those teams don't pick in the top 10 often.

ASJ is more like a Vernon Davis prospect. Lyerla more like a Graham prospect. Any team that takes either of those players should be happy.

Also, as you mention, college is ripe with H backs. Seattle drafts one seemingly every single year. But the Zach Miller/Vernon Davis/Rob Gronkowski prospects that can do it all are far more rare than receiving TEs. A team can get a lesser H Back and get acceptable production from them. But the difference between a good receiving in line TE v. a lesser one is immense.

Babylon 05-21-2013 08:08 PM

I'm probably in the minority but I might be more inclined to play Lyerla on defense as an olb.

BRAVEHEART 05-21-2013 09:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Babylon (Post 3369545)
I'm probably in the minority but I might be more inclined to play Lyerla on defense as an olb.

That's what he should be playing right now, but he'll be successful in the league as a TE anyway. Great athlete, put questionable maturity & intelligence.

BallerT1215 08-30-2013 12:20 PM

ASJ suspended first game vs. Boise State.

Stems back to his DUI back in July that has already been resolved.

Iamcanadian 08-30-2013 12:51 PM

Jenkins broke his pinky finger and will have surgery on it and could miss extended time.

coach4fu 09-01-2013 12:10 AM

ASJ could have played this week so the finger isn't a long term issue.

rawdawg 09-01-2013 10:30 AM

Where does Eric Ebron fit in this conversation?


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:59 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.