Draft Countdown Forums

Draft Countdown Forums (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/index.php)
-   2015 NFL Draft Forum (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=47)
-   -   Jack of All Trades Backs (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/showthread.php?t=56746)

hockey619 05-22-2013 05:30 AM

Jack of All Trades Backs

We've seen a lot of these guys come out, and with the game spreading out these slot wr/rb/kr's are becoming much more utilitized and popular. From eric metcalf to percy harvin and randall cobb and even reggie bush, every team wants one of these guys on their team who can play make plays from a variety of spots.

Who were the best all purpose playmaker propects?

Who are the best ones in college now?

SuperPacker 05-22-2013 06:11 AM

Dri Archer and De'Anthony Thomas are the obvious ones.

princefielder28 05-22-2013 07:36 AM

I would add Houston's Charles Sims to this list as well. He has 158 career catches along with an average of over 6 yards a carry.

Jcn92 05-22-2013 11:24 AM

George Atkinson III at Notre Dame appears to be a guy I could see a team utilizing his speed and lining him up at WR and RB and could do a variety of things with him. Based on what I've seen from his games he's one of the fastest players in the nation.

Sammy Watkins is another guy who I could see being used in a similar role in the NFL.

BallerT1215 05-22-2013 06:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by princefielder28 (Post 3369739)
I would add Houston's Charles Sims to this list as well. He has 158 career catches along with an average of over 6 yards a carry.

Just reported that he is transferring.

Quote:

Houston senior RB Charles Sims will transfer, according to Rob Sellers of Rivals.
Sims is an extremely talented runner and was poised for a great final season, so this news comes as a surprise. He led Houston with 851 rushing yards and 11 rushing touchdowns to go along with 37 receptions for 373 yards and three touchdowns. Sims will certainly have plenty of options in terms of landing spots.

princefielder28 05-22-2013 06:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BallerT1215 (Post 3370349)
Just reported that he is transferring.

Wow, that's a big surprise

norcalgsr 05-22-2013 06:34 PM

Marion Grice.

ChiFan24 05-23-2013 12:00 AM

Black black no trades backs.

norcalgsr 05-24-2013 03:50 PM

Antonio Andrews

Caulibflower 05-30-2013 01:44 AM

Evans Okotcha, RB - UTSA - 5'9" 220 - (senior next year). Last year had 106 carries for 450 yards (4.2) but did short yardage work and had 8 TDs. Also caught 24 passes for 349 yards (14.5) and scored 3 more touchdowns. Never really had a big load-carrying game all last year, but his team got him consistent touches throughout the year. From the little I've seen he looks like he's got really quick feet and will deliver a blow when running with the ball. Catches pretty naturally.

Ty MacArthur, WR/RB - Air Force - 5'9" 175 - (senior next year). Last year had 57 carries for 467 yards (8.2) and 2 TDs. Caught 24 passes for 411 yards (17.1) and 2 TDs. He's pretty good in the open field.

Trey Watts, RB - Tulsa - 5"11" 195 - (senior next year). Last year had 186 carries for 1108 yards (6.0) and 3 TDs. Also caught 34 passes for 343 yards. Also returned both a kick and a punt for a touchdown. Trey Watts is awesome. Watch this highlight video.

wicket 05-30-2013 05:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jcn92 (Post 3369863)
George Atkinson III at Notre Dame appears to be a guy I could see a team utilizing his speed and lining him up at WR and RB and could do a variety of things with him. Based on what I've seen from his games he's one of the fastest players in the nation.

GA3 is an amazing athlete but is just not very good at using his skills yet. He has mediocre hands and with rees now at QB those wont improve much at all.

It would also really suprise me if GA3 declares tbqh

Caulibflower 06-03-2013 02:20 AM

Waymon James of TCU belongs in this conversation as well. He's a really natural pass catcher out of the backfield and sometimes looks like a receiver going after the ball. I've seen him tap his feet and extend with his hands to catch a ball going out of bounds and make catches with a defender all over him, despite his relatively low receiving totals. Coming back from a (as far as I can find unspecified) knee injury this season.

Shreckart 06-03-2013 01:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Caulibflower (Post 3378096)
Waymon James of TCU belongs in this conversation as well. He's a really natural pass catcher out of the backfield and sometimes looks like a receiver going after the ball. I've seen him tap his feet and extend with his hands to catch a ball going out of bounds and make catches with a defender all over him, despite his relatively low receiving totals. Coming back from a (as far as I can find unspecified) knee injury this season.

Waymon is a very good receiving back, we like little swing passes in our offense and a lot of wheel routes as well, Waymon was by far our best receiving back the last couple years. As far as his knee injury, it was a torn ACL. I was told by some buddies on the team that's what it was.

thebow305 06-03-2013 01:53 PM

<3

BallerT1215 06-03-2013 02:08 PM

Is he a WR or a RB. Make up your damn mind Mamba lovers.

Caulibflower 06-03-2013 02:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shreckart (Post 3378355)
Waymon is a very good receiving back, we like little swing passes in our offense and a lot of wheel routes as well, Waymon was by far our best receiving back the last couple years. As far as his knee injury, it was a torn ACL. I was told by some buddies on the team that's what it was.

It's surprising to me that he had so few receptions. I noticed him while I was watching Casey Pachall vs Boise. I think he had two receptions, and each of them showed the ability to track the ball and adjust to the throw. I actually don't think either of them were even swing passes; if I remember correctly, it was a sideline catch that he had to lean out of bounds to tap his feet for and a deep throw where he got behind the safety. They were the type of plays that made me think, "Number 32... that's gotta be a running back. Who is that?"

Interesting player for sure. I'll definitely be paying attention to him next year. Hopefully he can make a full recovery from his injury. Almost makes me want to throw out a Ray Rice comparison just form the little I've seen, but TCU was splitting carries between three runners so it's hard to say how he'd do with a bigger role.

stlouisfan37 06-03-2013 04:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BallerT1215 (Post 3378445)

This is the thing about the evolution of the NFL game...there are a lot of great players coming out that fit the "weapon" role. They can play RB, WR, Slot, return kicks and punts. The fact that they do not have a defined role is what makes them so dangerous. DC's have to decide what to do to try stopping them, but it is so much more difficult to do that because there is a huge lack of predictability regarding where they will line up. Speed and interchangeability are the traits of the new offensive skill player.

The Eagles are a perfect example. Let's just say for the sake of argument that they draft DeAnthony Thomas next year. They would then have Jackson, McCoy, and Thomas, and Vick at QB. They could mix and match in so many ways that they could have a significant mismatch virtually every down.

Caulibflower 06-03-2013 05:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stlouisfan37 (Post 3378638)
The Eagles are a perfect example. Let's just say for the sake of argument that they draft DeAnthony Thomas next year. They would then have Jackson, McCoy, and Thomas, and Vick at QB. They could mix and match in so many ways that they could have a significant mismatch virtually every down.

And Jeremy Maclin had 182 catches for 2315 yards and 22 TDs, 91 rushes for 668 yards and 6 TDs, and 5 total (2 kick, 3 punt) return TDs in his 2 years at Mizzou. They're already supposed to have the mismatches and positional versatility.

SickwithIt1010 06-03-2013 06:43 PM

The Mamba will likely get drafted as a slot receiver first...similar to Tavon. But he will do it all once he gets there, like he already does at Oregon.

stlouisfan37 06-03-2013 07:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Caulibflower (Post 3378659)
And Jeremy Maclin had 182 catches for 2315 yards and 22 TDs, 91 rushes for 668 yards and 6 TDs, and 5 total (2 kick, 3 punt) return TDs in his 2 years at Mizzou. They're already supposed to have the mismatches and positional versatility.

My point is that everyone wants to take every player and fit them nicely into a box. In my opinion, the player that doesn't fit into a box is the guy who is the most dangerous.

Caulibflower 06-03-2013 07:28 PM

Right, but what a guy does in college doesn't always translate to being his actual role in the NFL. Maclin was just as prolific, if not moreso than Mamba, and has better size, and is a middling starting wideout at this point in his career.

norcalgsr 06-03-2013 07:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stlouisfan37 (Post 3378742)
My point is that everyone wants to take every player and fit them nicely into a box. In my opinion, the player that doesn't fit into a box is the guy who is the most dangerous.

I'd rather have 3 Calvin Johnsons than 3 De'Anthony Thomases.

Big_Pete 06-03-2013 09:16 PM

Does Colt Lyerla (Oregon) qualify for this list?

Chip Kelly used him at RB as well as TE.

Colt is 6'-5" 245 lbs, ran a 4.45 forty at the spring practice. While participating in the 2010 National Underclassman Combine, he broke the records for vertical leap (40 inches) and broad jump (10 feet 10 inches) garnering Lyerla the title to the second best athlete in the nation entering college.

fatso 06-04-2013 03:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BallerT1215 (Post 3378445)

Not a huge mamba fan but I see him as more of a WR who will get some snaps in the backfield, neither in the traditional sense. As a WR I see him as more of a slot guy who runs relatively short routes with occasional deep streaks. Just don't see the route running yet for intermediate-deep patterns. Throw in the occasional screen. His plays at RB should be sparse but I'd love to see him in the NFL with a mobile QB. Have fun defending the option with him and RG3 or Kaepernick.

Dacitykats 06-05-2013 10:09 PM

watch out for Romar Morris, RB UNC. has blazing speed, and can catch the ball really well.