Draft Countdown Forums

Draft Countdown Forums (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/index.php)
-   Pro Football (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=44)
-   -   San Francisco or Seattle? (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/showthread.php?t=56756)

J-Mike88 05-22-2013 10:24 PM

San Francisco or Seattle?

Curious as to who the non-Seahawk and non-Niner fans think will win the NFC West this season.

Both were top picks to win the NFC on betting accounts, but the Niners loss of Crabtree could loom large. There are only a small amount of playmakers, and he was their clear playmaker once Collin took over.

I know I can't keep the SF & Sea homers from voting, but being public, we can see and filter them out... it's the other 30 teams who's opinion I want to see here, figure out who to bet on.

Who you got?

Thank you for your honest participation.
-LaDontrel

K Train 05-22-2013 10:54 PM

Honestly I like SF more but I wouldnt be surprised if both teams disappoint...freakin monster hype train in the NFC west, which is something i never thought id say

Caulibflower 05-22-2013 11:03 PM

Oops. I voted.

J-Mike88 05-22-2013 11:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by K Train (Post 3370592)
Honestly I like SF more but I wouldnt be surprised if both teams disappoint...freakin monster hype train in the NFC west, which is something i never thought id say

You mean that West Coast Bias?

Caulibflower 05-22-2013 11:12 PM

/redacted #dontcare

J-Mike88 05-22-2013 11:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Caulibflower (Post 3370612)
/redacted #dontcare

#youcaredenoughto:A)chimein,B)vote,C)chimeinagain= D)mustcare

niel89 05-23-2013 02:10 AM

Gun to my head I say Seattle, but I think they are both overrated at this point. The expectations are so high they are bound to disappoint.

WCH 05-23-2013 02:26 AM

I think Seattle is going to be nasty this year, and I think their fanbase is going to be the 2013 version of the 2012 49ers and 2011 Packers.

Caulibflower 05-23-2013 02:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by J-Mike88 (Post 3370662)
#youcaredenoughto:A)chimein,B)vote,C)chimeinagain= D)mustcare

Yeah, that was a weird-looking redaction because it didn't indicate what I was redacting. I'd responded to K Train's comment about the NFC West having a "monster hype train," as if two if its teams hadn't make serious playoff noise just last year, and the other two had better-than-average defenses and made some big moves on offense since the season ended. I mean, why wouldn't people expect the NFC West to be really good next year? All these teams are really young, too.

But I redacted it because I've already been making some homerish posts lately, and I remembered I'm talking to a Steelers fan, so hearing him complain about anything getting hyped is just ironic to the point that... I realized I didn't care. So I deleted what I'd written, which was little more than pointing out that the NFC West does, in fact, look poised to make a lot of noise this season, as much as you can expect any division to make noise in an upcoming season before said season has actually started.

robert pancake gallery 05-23-2013 03:05 AM

i voted seattle then i remembered that there is a chance that by the end of the season their entire defense will have served a 4 game suspension

bigbluedefense 05-23-2013 09:02 AM

I'm going with Seattle. I think they have the best defense in the NFL, and I love Russell Wilson. And SF is due for a slump. It's hard to sustain their level of success 3 years in a row.

But I also feel that SF has a weak secondary and that can get them in trouble, and I also don't like their weapons on offense. I also believe that Wilson is a better qb than Kaepernick, although I do like Kaep quite a bit as well.

I love both teams honestly, but I just really love what Seattle is doing. They're built to make a deep run this year. I don't see a weakness that can be exploited.

SF has one: their secondary. You can exploit their secondary and eventually they'll run into a team that can do that.

But Seattle doesn't have a singular glaring weakness. They have the best secondary in the league. They have a very good LB core, a dominant DL vs the run. They improved their pass rush as well.

On offense they can run the rock with the best of them, they seem to have a franchise qb, and they have weapons on the outside. They don't have a weakness on paper that can be exploited.

The only weakness they have on paper is the fact that their qb is only in his 2nd year in the league, and it's awfully hard to win a SB with such inexperience at qb. But that's pretty much it. They're as complete of a team as you can think of.

AntoinCD 05-23-2013 09:57 AM

I'm going to take Seattle based on the fact that, yes SF may have one of the most talented line ups in the NFL, but their depth is pretty poor and they got really lucky with injuries last season.

We will see how their offense can be successful after losing Crabs, Moss and Delanie Walker. Moss and Walker weren't huge contributors but they had a role in the offense. Who steps up now? Kaep really didn't get any sort of connection going with Vernon Davis and now you are counting on AJ Jenkins, Mario Manningham, Q and Quinton Patton at WR?

Defensively we seen how different they were with Justin Smith out and/or playing hurt. He has been remarkably durable through his career but he is no longer a young guy. His play directly affects how impactful Aldon Smith can be. If the 49ers can't get a rush up front then their secondary can definitely be exploited.

K Train 05-23-2013 09:59 AM

Well with Injuriezzz in SF and Suspensionzzzz in Seattle...Bruce and the Cards are picking up steam!

AcheTen (Thumper) 05-23-2013 10:38 AM

San Francisco has a good shot to fall below .500 this season. And as mentioned before, their secondary is atrocious and will give up a lot of leads and force Kaepernick to play in more shoot-outs this year, which I don't think he's nearly as good at doing because so much of his game is the threat of him running.

I'll take the Seahawks without even a moments' hesitation.

LonghornsLegend 05-23-2013 10:41 AM

I felt it was Seattle before the Crabtree injury so I'll stick to my guns. Both are in the playoffs anyway. I'm more upset that ATL got in the way of them steam rolling into eachother for a playoff matchup last year. Everyone knew ATL was gonna lose that next game, and it would have been a slugfest with these two teams.

Somehow, someway, I'm hoping for a playoff matchup.

cmarq83 05-23-2013 11:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AcheTen (Post 3370916)
San Francisco has a good shot to fall below .500 this season. And as mentioned before, their secondary is atrocious and will give up a lot of leads and force Kaepernick to play in more shoot-outs this year, which I don't think he's nearly as good at doing because so much of his game is the threat of him running.

But, but, the 49ers had 13 players in PFF top 101! Did you know that they watch every snap of every game?

Ness 05-23-2013 11:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AcheTen (Post 3370916)

The 49ers were ranked number three against the past last season, yet the secondary is "atrocious". Keep digging that hole bro. Can't wait for the 49ers to pimp smack you back into reality. Good luck with Bradford.

broncosfan 05-23-2013 11:47 AM

I picked the 49ers, the 'Harbaugh effect' is something to take into consideration when both teams are fully stacked with talent.

AcheTen (Thumper) 05-23-2013 11:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ness (Post 3371029)
The 49ers were ranked number three against the past last season, yet the secondary is "atrocious". Keep digging that hole bro. Can't wait for the 49ers to pimp smack you back into reality. Good luck with Bradford.

A mediocre secondary can be made to look good if the DLine is absolutely dominant.

You saw the difference between a dominant DLine and a non-dominant DLine and its effect on the 49ers secondary last year. Compare the 49ers pre-Justin Smith injury and post-Justin Smith injury.

Ness 05-23-2013 11:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AcheTen (Post 3371035)
A mediocre secondary can be made to look good if the DLine is absolutely dominant.

You saw the difference between a dominant DLine and a non-dominant DLine and its effect on the 49ers secondary last year. Compare the 49ers pre-Justin Smith injury and post-Justin Smith injury.

That only goes so far though. You don't rank near the top of the league in yards per attempt and total yardage without some talent in the secondary regardless of your defensive line. You can sit back on your couch and pretend it's super easy for defenders in the secondary to play their role as long as the defensive line is stout up front, but you still need some talent to defend against the pass. Yeah, and after Justin Smith went down who did we face?

At Seahawks: 170 passing yards given up

Arizona: 207 yards given up

Packers: 268 yards given up

At Falcons: 396

Ravens: 274

The 49ers had four out of five teams be playoff opponents, with two of them highly oriented around the pass, in passing league. Only one team went over 300 yards. Each game also had an interception on the 49ers defense except against the Ravens. So, we can stop with the "secondary is atrocious" card, which is what you initially stated. I guess now they're mediocre since you changed the script. Probably after you realized how stupid your first comment was.

BallerT1215 05-23-2013 12:03 PM

I voted Seattle.

I worry about CK taking a big hit at some point. I love Gore, but he is on the decline of his career while I think Lynch is still a top 5 RB in the NFL. I like Seattle's targets on offense a lot better than San Fran and I think the defenses are a wash. Coaches are also a wash imo.

Seattle it is.

49erNation85 05-23-2013 12:10 PM

49ers no contest. Seahawks don't have Tebow.

hockey619 05-23-2013 12:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 49erNation85 (Post 3371067)
49ers no contest. Seahawks don't have Tebow.

no one does though

Babylon 05-23-2013 01:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by K Train (Post 3370895)
Well with Injuriezzz in SF and Suspensionzzzz in Seattle...Bruce and the Cards are picking up steam!

They'll get by without Bruce Irvin and as of yet it's not clear about either suspension or back issues with Lynch but they should be able to navigate their way through the first part of the season.

The thing that i'm concerned with in Seattle, and i'm sure the Kool Aid drinkers are going to disagree, is the offensive line. Any major injuries to Okung or Unger and they're going to be in trouble. As it is the line was overrated last year, especially in the passing game, as Wilson spent most of his time running for his life.

On a sidenote the Rams were 2-1-1 against both these teams so they're probably wondering why they aren't in the conversation.

iowatreat54 05-23-2013 02:19 PM

Because they're the Rams.

Also, voting for SF just on principle that I think Wilson will not perform at the same level as last year. Just a gut feeling, no real reason for it.