Draft Countdown Forums

Draft Countdown Forums (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/index.php)
-   Off Topic (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=46)
-   -   2013 MLB Draft (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/showthread.php?t=56809)

jrdrylie 06-03-2013 09:49 AM

2013 MLB Draft

The draft starts on Thursday so I thought we might want to discuss it. I don't follow the draft nearly as close as the NFL draft so I certainly can't offer any brilliant insight. I do know about Appel and I wouldn't be upset if the Cubs take him at 2.

YotoJets007 06-03-2013 11:14 AM

MLB draft prospects are really difficult to follow up or gather an abundance of information.

MLB discussion is slow so draft discussion should be there. No?

Anyways, it is good thing Appel is a senior but whoever takes him will have to lowball next 5 or 7 round draftee to make it possible to give him overslot money.

mqtirishfan 06-03-2013 11:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by YotoJets007 (Post 3378242)
Anyways, it is good thing Appel is a senior but whoever takes him will have to lowball next 5 or 7 round draftee to make it possible to give him overslot money.

You still have to take him or Gray if they're available, in my opinion. Can't miss out on them.

dabears10 06-03-2013 11:25 AM

I don't get the Appel love frankly. He is very good but not great. I don't think he has a chance to be a top of the line pitcher, but is as close as a guarantee to becoming a Major League starter.

YotoJets007 06-03-2013 11:55 AM

I think Appel is technically a thrower than a pitcher. That may be a concern for any team that owns high pick. Once you get him into pitching mentality, he could be better than Matt Garza or Yovani Gallardo.

jrdrylie 06-03-2013 12:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by YotoJets007 (Post 3378242)
MLB draft prospects are really difficult to follow up or gather an abundance of information.

MLB discussion is slow so draft discussion should be there. No?

Why do they need to give him so much money? As a senior, what other option does he have than to sign for whatever he is slotted for?

YotoJets007 06-03-2013 12:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jrdrylie (Post 3378284)
Why do they need to give him so much money? As a senior, what other option does he have than to sign for whatever he is slotted for?

Team draft bonus pool will become problematic if Appel does not sign. He is only 21 years old now I think and the deadline is in July so he can get feet wet in the Indy league earlier to get ready for next year.

If Cubs want him in their system then they have to make sure of it. He rejected 3.8m last year so it may be about 5.1m to hammer the deal and get him in the system. If Cubs fail to sign 5 or 6 prospects outside 1st round, Cubs could not get Appel in the system due to draft bonus pool shrinkage. Cubs would lose 6 or 7 prospects out of first 10 rounds. that is bad business for Cubs.

Maybe "lowball" is wrong word. I mean Cubs have to draft "potential under slotted" prospects after 1st round to ensure getting Appel in the system.

YotoJets007 06-03-2013 12:35 PM

I hate espn. subscription to view draft mock? ugh?

Bleacher's report had Yankees draft OF Austin Wilson out of Stanford, RHP Kyle Serrano out of future Tennessee and 3B/OF Eric Jagielo out of Norte Dame.

Umm.. I don't mind those but Serrano is tough one to figure out since his dad is Vol's skipper.

Giantsfan1080 06-03-2013 01:17 PM

Looks like the Mets are in on Smith or Peterson. I'd be happy with either.

DeepThreat 06-03-2013 01:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jrdrylie (Post 3378284)

Because they draft him, so they should want to sign him, not lose the pick and the pool money that goes with it.

DeepThreat 06-03-2013 01:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dabears10 (Post 3378251)
I don't get the Appel love frankly. He is very good but not great. I don't think he has a chance to be a top of the line pitcher, but is as close as a guarantee to becoming a Major League starter.

Appel has No. 1 or great No. 2 upside, and he is just about MLB ready right now. That is plenty of reason to love him.

In the MLB draft, when you have a near sure thing, it's pretty difficult to pass on that. You're not looking for Strasburg, even at No. 1.

Giantsfan1080 06-03-2013 01:32 PM

Law seems to think Moran ends up going 1 to save money for other players. It pisses me off to no end teams pass up on the best talent for signability.

DeepThreat 06-03-2013 01:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Giantsfan1080 (Post 3378372)
Law seems to think Moran ends up going 1 to save money for other players. It pisses me off to no end teams pass up on the best talent for signability.

I understood it last year, since there wasn't a consensus top prospect. Correa was at least on the same level as both Appel and Buxton, though I thought Buxton was the best player.

This year, it seems stupid, since Appel and Gray seem to clearly be the top two guys. Drafting someone below slot at No. 1 is essentially the MLB's equivalent of trading down. You pass on the top talent but get more guys overall.

Giantsfan1080 06-03-2013 01:36 PM

Agreed Deep.

YotoJets007 06-03-2013 02:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Giantsfan1080 (Post 3378372)

Law assumes Astros will continue using this pathetic strategy from last year. It would be stupid for Astros if they continue doing that. Go after top material in 1st round and then gather prospects they like after 2nd round is a way to rebuild a franchise.

Giantsfan1080 06-03-2013 02:58 PM

The new draft rules seriously hinder finding late round gems who fall because of signability.

jrdrylie 06-03-2013 03:47 PM

What are the best sites to get information on prospects? I'd like to see the draft prognosis for some of the guys from my college.

nepg 06-03-2013 04:08 PM

Most of the ones that are any good are pay sites. Bleacher Report has a solid section for it, though.

holt_bruce81 06-03-2013 05:39 PM

It's just hard to follow. I mean I'll watch the draft but There are soo many high school kids and College kids from schools like Daffy Duck Community College that I've only actually seen about maybe five draft picks actually play. And it's hard to judge how good someone is at baseball off of youtube, unlike football they aren't really doing anything usually other than swinging a bat or throwing a baseball.

There are a handful of guys I have crushes on for the Cardinals. Marco Gonzales, Ian Clarkin, Austin Wilson, Chris Anderson, Phil Bickford, and Ryan Stanek. and I'll throw Tim Anderson's name out there to.

With Shelby, Wacha, Rosenthal, Kelly and Lyons being promoted to the big club and Lil Pedro being on the verge of getting the call, I think it's time we re-stock our pitching. Wouldn't be surprised to see two pitchers in the first round.

yo123 06-03-2013 05:41 PM

Jonathan Gray apparently tested positive for a banned substance...

holt_bruce81 06-03-2013 06:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yo123 (Post 3378682)
Jonathan Gray apparently tested positive for a banned substance...

Will he fall? Not sure how it works in the MLB draft. Please let him slide to 19!

yo123 06-03-2013 06:15 PM

Well I guess it was just adderall, although I don't know if the MLB's drug policy is like the NFL's where they don't reveal the actual test results and people just say it's adderall because it sounds the best. Everything I've heard so far is that it won't really affect his stock.

YotoJets007 06-03-2013 07:34 PM

Gray will fall all the way to Yankees.:evil_laugh: :evil_laugh: :evil_laugh:

Is adderall the reason he reached 102 mph at 129th pitch? umm.

Gray may fall a little bit just because a few teams want a clean BS out of a player.

YotoJets007 06-03-2013 07:35 PM

ESPN said Gray won't be suspended in MLB. I guess he has a valid exemption.

jrdrylie 06-03-2013 07:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by holt_bruce81 (Post 3378679)
There are a handful of guys I have crushes on for the Cardinals. Marco Gonzales, Ian Clarkin, Austin Wilson, Chris Anderson, Phil Bickford, and Ryan Stanek. and I'll throw Tim Anderson's name out there to.

It's a shame JU sucks so much because Chris Anderson is one heck of a pitcher. He had to pitch his butt of just to get to 7-5. He's probably the player I've seen the most of since I pretty much exclusively watch the Atlantic Sun. I did like seeing him get shelled against UNF though.