Draft Countdown Forums

Draft Countdown Forums (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/index.php)
-   Kansas City Chiefs Team Forum (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=60)
-   -   Alex Smith. (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/showthread.php?t=56816)

onejayhawk 06-04-2013 08:41 AM

Alex Smith.

We paid more than twice what we paid for Cassel, but everyone at OTA is saying it was draft picks well spent. For example:
Alan Shope @AlanKCTV5
Watching practice, Alex Smith just seems to have something other Chiefs QB's haven't had in a while...focus??? Attention to detail?
Granted, last year's QB play was a disaster, but Alex Smith has been viewed as a major failure as well. Are we overreacting?

J

villagewarrior 06-05-2013 04:55 AM

I'd say Smith's play the last 2 years pushed him out of "failure" territory. Now, whether that's because he has come into his own or because of Harbaugh's coaching remains to be seen. Given the lack of options, I think Smith is a huge upgrade over Cassel Quinn.

vidae 06-20-2013 10:32 AM

Everyone looks good in shorts. Hell, Baldwin has been a star in shorts for two years. Talk to me when the pads are on and real games are on the line.

TheMatriculator 06-20-2013 01:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by onejayhawk (Post 3379214)
We paid more than twice what we paid for Cassel, but everyone at OTA is saying it was draft picks well spent. For example:
Alan Shope @AlanKCTV5
Watching practice, Alex Smith just seems to have something other Chiefs QB's haven't had in a while...focus??? Attention to detail?
Granted, last year's QB play was a disaster, but Alex Smith has been viewed as a major failure as well. Are we overreacting?

J

I'm not sure that we are overracting as much as its a matter of different expectations. After the last two years, most Chiefs fans would be happy with 10-6, a wild card & a playoff loss. Alex Smith can do that. Can he take you to a Super Bowl? Harbaugh certainly didn't think do and neither do. I hope we are both wrong, but it sure looks like a short term answer to a long term problem.

VAfy-ya 06-20-2013 02:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheMatriculator (Post 3389989)
Harbaugh certainly didn't think do and neither do.

Alex Smith could definitely lead an offense to a Super Bowl and win it. He would have in 2011 if our special teams failures didn't rob him of the opportunity. Because Smith is no longer in a Niner uni, shouldn't give you the impression that JH didn't think he could win a SB with him. If he thought that, he would never been the starting QB heading into the 2012 season, a season where the team and staff had serious SB aspirations.

CK happened to Alex. Its rare a QB comes along with the kind of arm talent and physical ability as he possesses. No one expected him to be ready as a starting-caliber QB in the NFL, heading into his second year. If that were the case, Alex would have never been re-signed as a free agent in 2012 and CK would have been the starting QB heading into the 2012 season. Alex got hurt, CK stepped in and played above and beyond anyone's expectations. At that point, you owe it to the development of your future franchise QB to get him meaningful playing experience to further bring along his development. It wasn't a indictment of Alex Smith, rather a testament to just how much talent and long-term potential CK possessed. As a running threat, to go along with his ability as a thrower, he just brought more to table. And more for defensive coordinators to stay up late night, worried about how to game-plan for. And at a fraction of the cost of Alex's contract.

I'll always root for Alex. He's a pro's pro. Through all the trials and tribulations of his career as a Niner, he never uttered a bad word about the organization and was a class act at each and every turn. Alex is an above average QB IMO. He is smart. He's crafty. He's athletic. Good arm. Great intangibles. My main gripe with Alex is he's cautious, to a fault at times. He doesn't like to drive the ball into tight windows. He's not a guy who will hit those outside breaking patterns with consistency. His touch on deep balls leaves alot to be desired at times. And because of all those factors I just mention, Alex wont attempt those throws unless he absolutely has too, which shrinks the field and allows DC's to use his conservativeness against him. But short-intermediate he's money, especially the middle of the field, a place where most QB's struggle. And he'll take what the defense gives him. He'll nickel and dime a DC all the way down the field, into the end-zone. He won't turn the ball over with silly throws or bad decisions, the way Cassel did. He won't lose the game for you. He's seen every defense imaginable and he's played in just about every offensive system the pro game has to offer. Nothing will faze him.

Your team is built for him to succeed. Good running game and a great defense. And Alex has a true #1 WR in Bowe for the first time in his career. He has weapons to work with on the outside. I'm a big Andy Reid fan. He gets the most out his QBs and Alex will be no different. He will put a system in place that caters to his strengths and Alex will do well under him. You definitely overpaid for his services, but its a seller's market obviously when the rookie QB class was so devoid of talent, and no free agents worth mentioning were going to see the open market. But I think Chiefs fans are going to be pleasantly surprised by what Alex brings to the table.