Draft Countdown Forums

Draft Countdown Forums (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/index.php)
-   College Football (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=45)
-   -   College Fandom (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/showthread.php?t=56855)

andyjo672 06-12-2013 09:38 PM

College Fandom

I was reading how contentious the recruiting thread was getting and I just had one question for all the college football fans on this board: How many of you went to the school that you cheer for?

Not trying to be snarky, just really curious. For those of you that didn't go to that school, how/why did you decide to start cheering for them?

JoeJoeBrown 06-13-2013 09:53 AM

I didn't go to OSU. I grew up watching them and my wife went there.

I used to be pretty into it, but sportsball fandom in general is pretty stupid to be rabid about. Fun to pass the time, but if you are getting overly emotional about "your" team, then you should probably re-evaluate your priorities and assess your emotional health.

It's never good to get overly excited or pissed about something you have no control or influence over. In which the participants couldn't care less about you.

MassNole 06-13-2013 09:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by andyjo672 (Post 3385441)
Not trying to be snarky, just really curious. For those of you that didn't go to that school, how/why did you decide to start cheering for them?

I got into Florida State but chose to go to a much better college. As for how I started being a fan, it goes back to 1988 with Deion Sanders.

niel89 06-13-2013 02:55 PM

My college didn't have a football program anymore, and my sister went to Stanford. Season tickets were cheap and it was only 20 min away to go to the games. We were awful when I started caring but then Harbaugh turned it around.

badgerbacker 06-13-2013 03:09 PM

I grew up in Wisconsin, so I have pretty much always been a fan. My older brother and sister went there, and then I did as well. Moved out of state, but still support the Badgers.

Brent 06-18-2013 06:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by andyjo672 (Post 3385441)
How many of you went to the school that you cheer for?

I went to A&M. Class of '08.

wojo 06-19-2013 12:48 AM

Born in raised in Columbus so obviously a Buckeye fan and I currently attend the school of my favorite football program, Kent State.

Shreckart 06-19-2013 01:13 AM

Both parents went to OU, live a half mile from the OU football stadium, didn't miss a single home game in 14 years including OU-Texas at the Cotton Bowl (except when out of town for my soccer/basketball/baseball games), but when in town I was at an OU game.

By the way, if anyone here is a Notre Dame fan, I drove back to Norman to go to the OU Notre Dame game with pops, and you all have some of the best fans ever as far as passion/traveling. I've seen Florida State, Miami, Nebraska, A&M, every other Big XII team, UCLA and more and not a lot of fans have rivaled them. That was also the second coolest home game I've ever been to, outside of OU-Nebraska in 2000, our national title year.

Then decided education was more important than football, so now I'm at TCU. So I cheer for both of them, except when TCU plays OU. Started my own path and I want to cheer for where I chose to spend the most important years of my life.

StickSkills 06-19-2013 02:36 AM

Air Force sent my dad to PSU to get his PhD when I was in pre-school to 1st grade. Got hooked on PSU then, but we moved to Dayton, OH. I was the only PSU fan surrounded by Ohio State fans.

With that said, I am about to enter my senior year at Penn State. I have my sideline pass for football games and am currently the president of the basketball student section. I might care a little bit too much, but I never let a loss get me upset.