Draft Countdown Forums

Draft Countdown Forums (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/index.php)
-   Pro Football (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=44)
-   -   Create your 'All Time' team. (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/showthread.php?t=56856)

Guru 06-13-2013 01:32 AM

Create your 'All Time' team.
 
Take any player from any era and collaborate them into your all time team. Feel free to project some younger guys.

Mine:

Joe Gibbs: Imagine what he could have done with a franchise QB.

QB1: Tom Brady
QB2: Joe Montana
RB1: Barry Sanders
RB2: Adrian Peterson
FB: Jim Brown
WR1: Jerry Rice
WR2: Randy Moss
WR3: Calvin Johnson
TE1: Tony Gonzales
TE2: Gronk
LT: Anthony Munoz
LG: Larry Allen
C: Mike Webster
RG: Bruce Mathews
RT: Jonathan Ogden


DE1: Reggie White
DE2: Deacon Jone
DT/NT: Alan Page
DT/DE: JJ Watt
CB1: Deion Sanders
CB2: Rod Woodson
Nickel: Darrel Green
Dime: Champ Bailey
S1: Ronnie Lott
S2: Ed Reed
OLB: LT
OLB: Von Miller
ILB; Ray Lewis
ILB: Patrick Willis
Returner: Devin Hester
Kicker: Adam Vinatieri
Punter: Sammy Baugh (not a bad emergency QB)

flave1969 06-13-2013 05:42 AM

Coach: Vince Lombardi

QB1: Dan Marino
QB2: Joe Montana
RB1: Walter Payton
RB2: Barry Sanders
FB: Jim Brown
WR1: Jerry Rice
WR2: Randy Moss
WR3: Art Monk
TE1: Tony Gonzalez
TE2: Ozzie Newsome
LT: Anthony Munoz
LG: Russ Grimm
C: Mike Webster
RG: Bruce Matthews
RT: Forrest Gregg

DE1: Reggie White
DE2: Deacon Jones
DT: Alan Page
DT: John Randle
OLB: Lawrence Taylor
OLB: Derrick Thomas
MLB: Sam Huff
CB1: Deion Sanders
CB2: Rod Woodson
Nickel: Darrel Green
Dime: Champ Bailey
S1: Ronnie Lott
S2: Ed Reed

Returner: Brian Mitchell
Kicker: Nick Lowery
Punter: Ray Guy

hockey619 06-13-2013 10:00 AM

Coach: Bill Belichick

QB: Tim Tebow
TE: Kellen Winslow
T: Willie Roaf
G: Larry Allen
C: Mike Webster
G: Steve Hutchinson
T: Anthony Munoz
TE: Johnathan Ogden

FB: Fridge Perry
FB: Jerry Kramer

WR: Calvin Johnson



Never stopping that QB midline Iso.

Denver Bronco56 06-13-2013 10:19 AM

QB - John Elway

HB - Terrell Davis
FB - Larry Centers

WR - Randy Moss
WR - Calvin Johnson
WR - Jerry Rice

OT - Orlando Pace
OG - Larry Allen
C - Kevin Mawae
OG - Bruce Matthews
OT - Anthony Munoz


DE - Bruce Smith
DT - Warren Sapp
DT - John Randle
DE - Reggie White

OLB - Derrick Brooks
MLB - Ray Lewis
OLB - Lawrence Taylor

CB - Rod Woodson
FS - Steve Atwater
SS - Ronnie Lott
CB - Champ Bailey


I would have run a ZBS like deven ran in the late 90's and TD would be the focal point and with the ability of the WRs to stretch the field coupled with Elway's Cannon.


On Defense pressure busts pipes and my front 7 are some of the best sack artists to ever lace them up, but have the ability to cover also.

On the backend it is simple, complete players. Not a single one a liabilty in the running game or in the passing game. With two very good enforcers at saftey that also have the ability to cover and matchup with TEs.

mightytitan9 06-13-2013 12:21 PM

Head Coach: Bill Cowher

QB Peyton Manning
RB Adrian Peterson
RB Chris Johnson
FB Larry Centers
WR Jerry Rice
WR Calvin Johnson
WR Randy Moss
TE Tony Gonzalez
TE Antonio Gates
LT Anthony Munoz
LG Randall McDaniel
C Bruce Matthews
RG Larry Allen
RT Willie Roaf

DE Reggie White
DT Warren Sapp
DT John Randle
DE Bruce Smith
OLB LT
ILB Ray Lewis
ILB Junior Seau
OLB DT
OLB Derrick Brooks
CB Deion Sanders
CB Rod Woodson
NB Champ Bailey
DB Darrell Green
FS Ed Reed
NS Steve Atwater
SS Ronnie Lott

I'm really just going with players from my time. Offense I'd run a power running game, with a pretty vertical passing game, but the TEs, Rice and Centers would be working the short routes as well so everything would be covered.

On defense, I'd play around with a 3-4 and 4-3 defense. At times, my D-Line would be the 4 listed, but at other times DT, and maybe even LT, would be lining up at the DE positions with Reggie White and Bruce Smith playing DT. Brooks would come in to play WLB when DT was in pass rush DE, and on passing downs where DT is out. I'd play some 3 safety sets, which is why I have 3 listed

Pit Bull #53 06-13-2013 01:04 PM

5 lists. No John Hannah?

mightytitan9 06-13-2013 01:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pit Bull #53 (Post 3385760)
5 lists. No John Hannah?

Too old for me

vidae 06-13-2013 01:58 PM

Von Miller on an all time team list. Von. Miller.

flave1969 06-13-2013 02:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pit Bull #53 (Post 3385760)
5 lists. No John Hannah?

Really considered him but wanted to put Grimm in and use the versatility of Matthews. In hindsight he should be in.

mightytitan9 06-13-2013 03:35 PM

I think a large part of it also depends on how you do these things, I always do mine as if I could have these players in my prime and go out and play a game against a team of today.

John Hannah was a great player, but at 265 he'd struggle to anchor the line in todays nfl. I guess that's just kind of how I always look at these things on how they translate to todays NFL rather than a list of players I think are the greatest ever

Denver Bronco56 06-13-2013 03:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mightytitan9 (Post 3385904)
I think a large part of it also depends on how you do these things, I always do mine as if I could have these players in my prime and go out and play a game against a team of today.

John Hannah was a great player, but at 265 he'd struggle to anchor the line in todays nfl. I guess that's just kind of how I always look at these things on how they translate to todays NFL rather than a list of players I think are the greatest ever

Exactly, all of the players i picked played in the modern NFL or could have. Just do to size and stuff alot of the older players i would say 60's and earlier are not really capable of playing against the size and speed we have today

BallerT1215 06-13-2013 03:49 PM

Happy to see Bruce Smith recognized in a few lists.

mightytitan9 06-13-2013 04:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BallerT1215 (Post 3385913)
Happy to see Bruce Smith recognized in a few lists.

When I think of Bruce, it reminds me of when I was younger and would always trade for he and Reggie White in Madden. If I couldn't get one of them, then Chuck Smith (the former Falcons DE who was like a 96) would have to do.

Guru 06-14-2013 12:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vidae (Post 3385796)
Von Miller on an all time team list. Von. Miller.

I knew I'd catch some flack for him and Watt but I felt like being on a draft site that choosing some guys that I've loved since their college careers was appropriate considering their production and progression in their short careers. I was ridiculed on another board for having both as my number one overall prospects in their respective classes and watching them produce at elite and all time great levels,. I'm as proud of them as I am Russell Wilson. When I pumped him up as a top 5 prospect (would have been my #1 QB in a lot of years despite his size, that's gloat worthy imo) (AD was another guy I had as the best player in his class). With all these guys doing so well I felt choosing a few younger guys was appropriate. That and I'm not a huge fan of early era linemen. I think the game has changed far to much to consider SOME of those guys, Hannah being one of them. Could you imagine Larry Allen in his day? I had a hard time choosing Munoz as an OT as well, but with him I didn't think size was an issue even though he would be hammerred by every draftnik for being too small these days. Joe Thomas, Orlando Pace, and Duane Brown drew consideration despite two having shorter resumes.

And again this is all opinionated so criticizing people's teams isn't really warranted. Of course it's debatable but different strokes for different folks.

flave1969 06-14-2013 06:54 AM

I think you have to throw the size and weight issues out of the argument. You are assuming that with todays diets and nutrition that they would not be able to bulk up to weights approaching those of today.

I have often heard people question Jim Brown because the defenders he played against were small in comparison to today´s men and he was a big fullback. We can´t have it all ways when trying to do these things.

Guys like Hannah were great because their technique, drive and strength combinations were stand out. He played at 263, there is no reason why with today´s strength and conditioning programs he could not have added the requisite weight.

Edit: This is a question that comes up when discussing todays heavyweight boxers. There are many who think the Klitschko brothers are the best ever simply because they are two massive hulks and none of the old guys would ever beat them, purely based on size alone.

What is the point of calling it an all time team, if you are not going to allow for the dominance of the players in their era. It is a huge assumption to think that those basic skills would not transfer if they had the benefits athletes have today.

AntoinCD 06-14-2013 08:06 AM

QB: Joe Montana
QB: Tom Brady

RB: Walter Payton
RB: Barry Sanders

FB: Jim Brown

TE: Tony Gonzalez
TE: Kellen Winslow

LT: Jonathan Ogden
LG: John Hannah
C: Mike Webster
RG: Bruce Matthews
RT: Willie Roaf

WR: Jerry Rice
WR: Randy Moss
WR: Steve Largent


DE: Deacon Jones
DT: Joe Greene
DT: John Randle
DE: Reggie White
DE: Bruce Smith
OLB: Lawrence Taylor
OLB: Derrick Brooks
OLB: Derrick Thomas
ILB: Ray Lewis
ILB: Dick Butkus

CB: Deion Sanders
CB: Rod Woodson
CB: Dick “Night Train” Lane
S: Ronnie Lott
S: Ed Reed

K: Adam Vinatieri
P: Ray Guy

Coach: Vince Lombardi

I really didn’t want to put too many current guys on this list.

Denver Bronco56 06-14-2013 08:14 AM

I understand your point about saying throw out size...


BUT that is part of the equation, who knows if someone that was good in the older days playing at 250 lbs would have even played the same position had he weighed 300 or if he would be nearly as good with an extra 50 lbs...


SIZE is a huge determining factor in my mind and should be taken in consideration.

exe. Jim Brown could still play in todays NFL with the size he had...would he be nearly as dominate who knows but he is capable of playing HB in the modern NFL.

But you ask me to take a DT or something that weighed 250 lbs back in the day i guarantee you he would get man handled in todays NFL


that is part of the equation on any team you build.. speed, strength and size are big factors for each position

WCH 06-14-2013 08:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BallerT1215 (Post 3385913)
Happy to see Bruce Smith recognized in a few lists.

Between Smith, Jones, and White, it's hard to narrow it down to two DEs. On one hand, I think that Reggie probably played DE as well as anybody ever has. On the other hand, Deacon Jones posted insane numbers in 14-game seasons, and Bruce Smith was playing as a freaking 3-4 DE! When Smith and White were playing, everybody felt like White was better. In hindsight, I'm not sure if that was fair or accurate.

Also, these lists are all missing Don Hutson.

BigBanger 06-14-2013 09:22 AM

Bill Walsh, Head Coach, 49ers
Mike Shanahan, Offensive Coordinator, Broncos
Dick LeBeau, Defensive Coordinator, Steelers


Offense

Aaron Rodgers, QB, Packers

Adrian Peterson, RB, Vikings
Barry Sanders, RB, Lions

Jerry Rice, WR, 49ers
Randy Moss, WR, Vikings
Rob Gronkowski, TE, Patriots

Anthony Munoz, OT, Bengals
Jonathan Ogden, OT, Ravens
John Hannah, OG, Patriots
Larry Allen, OG, Cowboys
Mike Webster, C, Steelers



Defense

Deacon Jones, Pass Rusher, Rams
Randy White, Defensive Tackle, Cowboys
"Mean" Joe Greene, Defensive Tackle, Steelers
Bruce Smith, Pass Rusher, Bills
Reggie White, Pass Rusher, Eagles

Ray Lewis, Inside Linebacker, Ravens
Dick Butkus, Inside Linebacker, Bears

Darrelle Revis, Defensive Back, Jets
Ronnie Lott, Defensive Back, 49ers
Ed Reed, Defensive Back, Ravens
Rod Woodson, Defensive Back, Steelers




JJ Watt is a little too young to make this list. On a pure talent level, he's as deserving as any interior pass rusher from a 34 position. I just couldn't leave off Randy White. I forced him in there (ignoring scheme and just crediting best players at their position). He's my favorite interior defensive player and I think he changed the way defensive tackles played.

Aaron Rodgers made my list because of the combination of talent and success. He has a long way to go before we can put him ahead of more accomplished QBs, but he's the best player I've ever seen at the position. He has the talent and ability of John Elway + Dan Marino, but coupled with the accuracy and consistency of Steve Young + Tom Brady.

Adrian Peterson also makes it over more decorated runners because he simply has become the most talented player I've seen at the position. His power and speed is unparalleled. One of my favorites is Earl Campbell. The Juice was also a great runner back in the day, and on a talent level, he would be hard to dispute for a list like this.

I tried to stick with more modern players for a couple reasons. I'm more familiar with them and I think they're simply more talented, faster and bigger as the game as progressed / evolved.

Gronkowski makes my list because in a day and age where wide receivers should be putting up dominating numbers, Gronkowski is the second best receiver in the NFL to Calvin Johnson, and a very good in-line blocker. He has shattered records early into his career and done things no one has ever seen from the position. Simply a phenomenal talent.

Guru 06-14-2013 11:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by flave1969 (Post 3386246)
I think you have to throw the size and weight issues out of the argument. You are assuming that with todays diets and nutrition that they would not be able to bulk up to weights approaching those of today.

I have often heard people question Jim Brown because the defenders he played against were small in comparison to today´s men and he was a big fullback. We can´t have it all ways when trying to do these things.

Guys like Hannah were great because their technique, drive and strength combinations were stand out. He played at 263, there is no reason why with today´s strength and conditioning programs he could not have added the requisite weight.

Edit: This is a question that comes up when discussing todays heavyweight boxers. There are many who think the Klitschko brothers are the best ever simply because they are two massive hulks and none of the old guys would ever beat them, purely based on size alone.

What is the point of calling it an all time team, if you are not going to allow for the dominance of the players in their era. It is a huge assumption to think that those basic skills would not transfer if they had the benefits athletes have today.

I think you have a very good counter point to the size argument. I guess in the end no one is right just opinions differ a bit, and I can respect that. I believe anabolic steroids didn't become illegal to use in the NFL until 1983 so that's something else to consider.

mightytitan9 06-14-2013 12:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by flave1969 (Post 3386246)
I think you have to throw the size and weight issues out of the argument. You are assuming that with todays diets and nutrition that they would not be able to bulk up to weights approaching those of today.

I have often heard people question Jim Brown because the defenders he played against were small in comparison to today´s men and he was a big fullback. We can´t have it all ways when trying to do these things.

Guys like Hannah were great because their technique, drive and strength combinations were stand out. He played at 263, there is no reason why with today´s strength and conditioning programs he could not have added the requisite weight.

Edit: This is a question that comes up when discussing todays heavyweight boxers. There are many who think the Klitschko brothers are the best ever simply because they are two massive hulks and none of the old guys would ever beat them, purely based on size alone.

What is the point of calling it an all time team, if you are not going to allow for the dominance of the players in their era. It is a huge assumption to think that those basic skills would not transfer if they had the benefits athletes have today.

As Bronco56 said, some players who played at 250-260 would need to be in the range of 290-300 in todays game. They're the size of most TE's today, and even then a TE at 250 is considered somewhat small. 40lbs is a lot of weight to put on, not to mention that many of the players in question stand 6'2". Many of them are likely closer to 6' or 6'1.

Like I said, when I do these list I do them if I had to take the player and put a team together with them in their prime and play a game tomorrow. To me, it's not taking an guy who played 50 years ago and projecting how he'd be in todays NFL with it's training programs.

If you insert Jim Brown directly into the NFL today, he's an average RB. If you let him train, and get his speed and agility up to todays standards, he'd be a pretty good one but still nothing close to he was back then. He was playng with scrubs for the most part. It's like having a 8th grader who developed way faster than anyone else and dominates against other 8th grades, is it really all that impressive? To me, it's really not.

J-Mike88 06-14-2013 08:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigBanger (Post 3386291)
Offense

Aaron Rodgers, QB, Packers


Aaron Rodgers made my list because of the combination of talent and success. He has a long way to go before we can put him ahead of more accomplished QBs, but he's the best player I've ever seen at the position. He has the talent and ability of John Elway + Dan Marino, but coupled with the accuracy and consistency of Steve Young + Tom Brady.

I love you man!

Good points, on him and Gronk, and the evolution of the man, size and strength.

Babylon 06-15-2013 10:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pit Bull #53 (Post 3385760)
5 lists. No John Hannah?

Saved me the trouble. Greatest guard of all time for me, 4.7 speed as a consensus AA out of Alabama at 6-3 280, which was huge for the position at the time.

Pat Sims 90 06-15-2013 11:16 AM

Coach- Don Shula


QB- Joe Montana 79-92
2QB- John Elway- 83-98
RB- Walter Payton 75-87
2RB- Barry Sanders 89-98
FB- Jim Brown 57-65
WR- Randy Moss 98-2010 2012
WR- Jerry Rice- 85-2000
WR- Calvin Johnson 2007-Now
TE- Tony Gonzalez 97-Now
2TE- Kellen Winslow SR. 79-87
LT- Anthony Munoz 80-92
LG- Bruce Matthews 83-2001
C- Mike Webster 74-90
RG- Larry Allen 94-2007
RT- Jonathan Ogden 96-2007

DE- Deacon Jones 61-74
DT- Reggie White 75-88
DT- Warren Sapp 95-2007
DE- Bruce Smith 85-2003
OLB- Lawrence Taylor 81-93
MLB- Dick Butkus 65-73
OLB- Derrick Thomas 89-99
CB- Darrell Green 83-2002
CB- Deion Sanders 89-2000 2004-2005
CB- Rod Woodson 87-2003
FS- Ed Reed- 2002-Now
SS- Ronnie Lott 81-94

OSUGiants17 06-15-2013 11:27 AM

HC: Vince Lombardi
DC: Bill Parcells
OC: John Madden

QB: John Elway, Steve Young

RB: Barry Sanders, Erick Dickerson

FB: Jim Brown

WR: Randy Moss, Calvin Johnson
WR: Jerry Rice, Terrell Owens

TE: Tony Gonzalez, Sterling Sharpe

LT: Jonathan Ogden
LG: John Hannah
C: Mike Webster
RG: Gene Upshaw
RT: Willie Roaf

DE: Joe Greene, Deacon Jones
NT: Gilbert Brown, Warren Sapp
DE: Reggie White, Bruce Smith

OLB: Lawrence Taylor, Derrick Brooks
MLB: Ray Lewis, Mike Singletary
MLB: Dick Butkus, Jack Lambert
OLB: Derrick Thomas, Junior Seau

CB: Dick "Night Train" Lane, Deion Sanders
FS: Steve Atwater, Brian Dawkins
SS: Ronnie Lott, Ken Houston
CB: Rod Woodson, Champ Bailey

K: Adam Vinatieri
P: Jeff Feagles
RS: Devin Hester
LS: Patrick Mannelly

This would be the fate of this team:


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:24 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.