Draft Countdown Forums

Draft Countdown Forums (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/index.php)
-   2015 NFL Draft Forum (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=47)
-   -   Nickoe Whitley, S, Mississippi State (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/showthread.php?t=56872)

mpt117 06-18-2013 12:24 PM

Nickoe Whitley, S, Mississippi State

am i the only one who thinks nickoe whitley is a top 3 safety in the class? he posted 90 tackles and 3 interceptions on a secondary with two 2nd round picks. this year will also be his fourth year as a starter in the SEC. whitley has good ball skills, recording 10 career interceptions so far in his collegiate career (3 in 2012, 4 in 2011, and 3 in 2010.) on tape, he looks to have good speed and can lay the wood as a hitter.

my favorite safety prospect in this draft class. what am i missing here? why isn't he higher on some rankings i've seen so far? right now, i think he's a solid 3rd round choice with a chance to go higher with a good season.

JHL6719 06-19-2013 07:04 AM

People really need to get familiar with this kid. He's the most violent hitter college football has seen in many years. Seriously. Reminiscent of Kenny Easley.

Outstanding ball skills also. He's made some tremendously impressive INT's against Cam Newton and Ryan Mallett early in his career. Has knocked several players out of the game... including Marcus Lattimore. Watch him completely destroy Spencer Ware... who was one of the most physical runners in the SEC. Completely obliterated La'Rod King.

Let me know the next time you see a safety come up and take on a 300+ pound pulling guard the caliber of Larry Warford, knock him flat on his butt...and knock his helmet off in the process. That's exactly what Whitley did....and then made the tackle on the running back.

He's a special player.

Don Vito 06-19-2013 07:42 AM

Whitley is a huge hitter and an incredibly phyiscal safety who can make plays in coverage. He has a lot of phyiscal ability and is a "football player", but he needs work in deep coverage if he wants to be a complete safety. The ability for him to do so is there, he has athleticisim and can make plays on the ball, but he needs some work in that area.

Some of the things he does are really mind blowing though, the Warford play definitely comes to mind. Whitley will be a first round pick, but he has the potential to go top 15.

SF Dolphin Fan 06-20-2013 07:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Don Vito (Post 3389041)
Whitley is a huge hitter and an incredibly phyiscal safety who can make plays in coverage. He has a lot of phyiscal ability and is a "football player", but he needs work in deep coverage if he wants to be a complete safety. The ability for him to do so is there, he has athleticisim and can make plays on the ball, but he needs some work in that area.

Some of the things he does are really mind blowing though, the Warford play definitely comes to mind. Whitley will be a first round pick, but he has the potential to go top 15.

This. Definitely a 1st rounder in my book. He's a little under the radar right now by fans, but not so for scouts IMO. Whitley will fly up draft boards this season.

Trogdor 06-22-2013 06:58 AM

He is certainly talented. If he doesn't learn how to tackle properly he's going to be a walking penalty machine in the NFL. He leads with his helmet far to often and gets his hands in the mask of his opponent often as well. Watched their bowl game versus Northwestern and some 2011 tape and he had multiple personal fouls in each game.

If he isn't laying the lumber he is not a reliable tackler. He at times struggles to wrap tackle as well. He excels in zone coverage but was abused in man coverage. Had a nice pick while sitting back in a deep zone. He tends to play very aggressively and tends to jump out of position on a good fake. Northwestern picked on his contain ability on QB options for a good deal of success. His athleticism is on full display as he makes up for being out of position often.

The only major question mark from watching tape on him is you have to question his football IQ. The amount of time he spends out of position is insane but his physical tools allow him to recover to make plays. This is one of the biggest things that hurt a prospect translating from college ball to NFL. It's on full display on the 2011 tape as well. Defense looks like they are in zone coverage and he sees the QB scramble towards his WR so he breaks his coverage to run to an already covered WR which results in an easy conversion to his unmarked zone.

Of course a lot of the mental aspect goes out the window when it comes to the draft and the issues listed above are all "fix-able". Wouldn't be shocked to see him top 15 but on the flip-side I wouldn't be shocked with a mid round grade either.

Kyle472 06-22-2013 08:55 AM

That there is no safety that's a linebacker.

Big Bird 06-23-2013 07:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trogdor (Post 3390981)
He is certainly talented. If he doesn't learn how to tackle properly he's going to be a walking penalty machine in the NFL. He leads with his helmet far to often and gets his hands in the mask of his opponent often as well. Watched their bowl game versus Northwestern and some 2011 tape and he had multiple personal fouls in each game.

If he isn't laying the lumber he is not a reliable tackler. He at times struggles to wrap tackle as well. He excels in zone coverage but was abused in man coverage. Had a nice pick while sitting back in a deep zone. He tends to play very aggressively and tends to jump out of position on a good fake. Northwestern picked on his contain ability on QB options for a good deal of success. His athleticism is on full display as he makes up for being out of position often.

The only major question mark from watching tape on him is you have to question his football IQ. The amount of time he spends out of position is insane but his physical tools allow him to recover to make plays. This is one of the biggest things that hurt a prospect translating from college ball to NFL. It's on full display on the 2011 tape as well. Defense looks like they are in zone coverage and he sees the QB scramble towards his WR so he breaks his coverage to run to an already covered WR which results in an easy conversion to his unmarked zone.

Of course a lot of the mental aspect goes out the window when it comes to the draft and the issues listed above are all "fix-able". Wouldn't be shocked to see him top 15 but on the flip-side I wouldn't be shocked with a mid round grade either.

Completely agreed.

The guy is the definition of a head hunter. He plays reckless, and it's really flashy when it lands, but he misses a lot of tackles.

I'm still not sure about his coverage ability. Sometimes he shows nice sideline-to-sideline ability in zone, but I've seen him get torched in man coverage. Venric Mark, Northwestern running back, torched by him one play and he was missed on an easy td. Mark is a fast man, but Whitley took a bad angle and was left in the dust.

Certainly no way I take this guy in the 1st round with what I've seen right now.

BallerT1215 06-23-2013 08:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JHL6719 (Post 3389030)
People really need to get familiar with this kid. He's the most violent hitter college football has seen in many years. Seriously. Reminiscent of Kenny Easley.

Outstanding ball skills also. He's made some tremendously impressive INT's against Cam Newton and Ryan Mallett early in his career. Has knocked several players out of the game... including Marcus Lattimore. Watch him completely destroy Spencer Ware... who was one of the most physical runners in the SEC. Completely obliterated La'Rod King.

Let me know the next time you see a safety come up and take on a 300+ pound pulling guard the caliber of Larry Warford, knock him flat on his butt...and knock his helmet off in the process. That's exactly what Whitley did....and then made the tackle on the running back.

He's a special player.

So did Greg Reid and he weighed like 105lbs. : )

WhiteBread 06-23-2013 12:31 PM

Does anyone here remember how Whitley knocked Lattimore out of that game?

Hint: That was Marcus's first ACL tear. (that's a dead give away)