Draft Countdown Forums

Draft Countdown Forums (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/index.php)
-   College Football (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=45)
-   -   Phil Steele's 2013 College Football Preview Discussion Thread (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/showthread.php?t=56904)

gpngc 06-27-2013 03:52 PM

Phil Steele's 2013 College Football Preview Discussion Thread

ESPN has picked him up but he's still churning out the best preseason publication of all the seven kingdoms for any sport.

I just picked mine up so I haven't started yet, but it's ESSENTIAL reading for college football fans (or draft fans).

Discuss.

MassNole 06-27-2013 05:27 PM

I am probably the biggest FSU homer on here so let me just come out and say his #3 ranking for Florida State is ridiculous. Every year people complain FSU is always overrated, but here no one with common sense would say a team losing 5 players to the Top 50 of the NFL Draft who is replacing a 1st Round pick at QB with a RS-Freshman (as special as he may be), and their entire starting Defensive Line is the #3 team in the country.

As for the All ACC teams, I do commend Phil Steele for giving Jameis Winston some love by making him the co-4th Team All ACC QB with Stephen Morris.

gpngc 06-27-2013 05:33 PM

He ranks teams based on where he thinks they'll finish. He's essentially predicting an undefeated or 1-loss season for them. That to me is very possible and part of why he's so great is because he doesn't cookie cutter it.

If someone had ND ranked No. 2 last year, even ND fans would have laughed it off.

It's college football. Anything can happen. All of his picks are grounded in research and reasoning. Does he miss? Sure. But he's the best prognosticator over the years.

It ticks me off when people try to predict sports and are knocked because it's different from cookie cutter predictions - which tend to be way worse following the season.

MassNole 06-27-2013 05:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gpngc (Post 3393626)
He ranks teams based on where he thinks they'll finish. He's essentially predicting an undefeated or 1-loss season for them. That to me is very possible and part of why he's so great is because he doesn't cookie cutter it.

If someone had ND ranked No. 2 last year, even ND fans would have laughed it off.

It's college football. Anything can happen. All of his picks are grounded in research and reasoning. Does he miss? Sure. But he's the best prognosticator over the years.

It ticks me off when people try to predict sports and are knocked because it's different from cookie cutter predictions - which tend to be way worse following the season.

It is certainly possible, especially if Jameis Winston is the second coming. Issue is games @ Clemson and @ Florida with a really young team with a new defense. Now come mid-October and late-November those defensive issues will be largely worked out. I think 10-2 is a reasonable prediction given the relative weakness of FSU's schedule, but to sit back and call them #3 is too much with all of the question marks.

gpngc 06-27-2013 07:39 PM

Eh. @Florida isn't terrible and without looking, I'd bet he has them winning that game.

wojo 06-28-2013 03:18 AM

Where can I find a copy of Phil Steele's preview?

MassNole 06-28-2013 11:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wojo (Post 3394399)
Where can I find a copy of Phil Steele's preview?

Barnes & Noble

Loftin 07-01-2013 10:53 AM

It seems like half the text in that magazine is touting how accurate his past magazines have been. There's definitely some good info in this mag (compared to fluff like Athlon), but it seems like work trying to read through and finding what he thinks about this year.

That's just the articles, though. The team pages are great.

MassNole 07-01-2013 11:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Loftin (Post 3395614)
It seems like half the text in that magazine is touting how accurate his past magazines have been. There's definitely some good info in this mag (compared to fluff like Athlon), but it seems like work trying to read through and finding what he thinks about this year.

That's just the articles, though. The team pages are great.

Yeah if you look, especially for the non-AQ conferences, A LOT of the preview is copy and pasted from previous years. Hell even FSU had basically the same preview for years always mentioning the Dynasty era.

sbh15 07-01-2013 12:36 PM

does my team still start that driskell guy? where does he rank them? i can't imagine it will be very high

MassNole 07-01-2013 12:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sbh15 (Post 3395679)
does my team still start that driskell guy? where does he rank them? i can't imagine it will be very high

Pretty sure he has UF as the #2 team in the SEC East behind Georgia and overall in the Top 15. He has Driskell as the 4th Team All SEC QB.

Here is a link to the other UF players on his All-SEC team: http://www.alligatorarmy.com/2013/6/...n-all-sec-team

Honestly, I thought Andre Debose had graduated.

sbh15 07-01-2013 01:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MassNole (Post 3395685)
Pretty sure he has UF as the #2 team in the SEC East behind Georgia and overall in the Top 15. He has Driskell as the 4th Team All SEC QB.

Here is a link to the other UF players on his All-SEC team: http://www.alligatorarmy.com/2013/6/...n-all-sec-team

Honestly, I thought Andre Debose had graduated.

that sounds about right. thank god the defense still looks good but I don't really trust Durkin as coordinator. oh well

Cigaro 07-01-2013 01:10 PM

SC is his #2 SEC East team if I recall correctly.

MassNole 07-01-2013 02:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cigaro (Post 3395706)
SC is his #2 SEC East team if I recall correctly.

My bad I thought it was Florida, either way with 3 teams in the Top 15-20, there isn't a lot of separation.

Iamcanadian 07-01-2013 11:01 PM

I certainly buy his mag but he is far from perfect and spends far too much time praising his record which is average at best as far as his top 10 go.
However, I do love his depth charts as they are for the most part pretty through, often 3 or 4 deep, plus you have to love each teams freshmen and where each player ranked at his position coming out of high school or JC. He also mentions most of the transfers in his depth charts.
His depth charts also I find, more up to date with more freshmen shown starting.

All in all, a mag worth the money.

keylime_5 07-01-2013 11:23 PM

I've been buying his mag since back in 2001 or 2002 and he's always been all about ATS and betting lines, but of course there's so much info in there it's good for any fan or coach, etc. Great stuff, he has good sources too and makes his power unit rankings and overall ratings very mathematically. I think he likes FSU's QB a lot if he ranks them that high, or he looks at their schedule and sees winnable matchups (but beward the ACC cluster **** that always happens where every team can beat every other team any given week in that league)