Draft Countdown Forums

Draft Countdown Forums (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/index.php)
-   Pro Football (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=44)
-   -   Preseason Week 1 Discussion Thread (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/showthread.php?t=57127)

Caulibflower 08-04-2013 04:43 PM

Preseason Week 1 Discussion Thread
 
¡FOOTBALL!

It begins today.

Ness 08-04-2013 04:44 PM

More importantly, new uniforms.

Caulibflower 08-04-2013 05:07 PM

So... how bad is DeMarcus Ware going to make Jonathan Martin look tonight?

BallerT1215 08-04-2013 05:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Caulibflower (Post 3416242)
So... how bad is DeMarcus Ware going to make Jonathan Martin look tonight?


jrdrylie 08-04-2013 05:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Caulibflower (Post 3416242)
So... how bad is DeMarcus Ware going to make Jonathan Martin look tonight?

Unfortunately I doubt Ware plays more than 5 or 6 downs tonight.

Caulibflower 08-04-2013 06:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jrdrylie (Post 3416293)
Unfortunately I doubt Ware plays more than 5 or 6 downs tonight.

With the word out of Miami lately, that should be enough to register a sack or two.

niel89 08-04-2013 06:21 PM

**** that Martin is about to dominate.

How light is the Cowboys DL now.?

stlouisfan37 08-04-2013 06:25 PM

I am that guy that really likes watching the second half when the scout-teamers are out there. Are there any gems in the rough on either team that I should keep an eye out for?

Caulibflower 08-04-2013 06:53 PM

I'm not a believer in Daniel Thomas or Lamar Miller, so it might be interesting to see how Mike Gillislee plays in this game. They picked him up in the 5th round, but a lot of analysts and scouts seemed to like him. He's a very "average" running back in terms of measurables, but there's a part of me that thinks he might hit the hole better than Miami's other two running backs. I also like Dion Sims, a 4th round pick at tight end, who has a huge frame and some nice movement ability. He's not going to unseat Dustin Keller but could be a significant factor at the goal line and occasionally throughout the game.

You probably know Terrance Williams, who the Cowboys took in the third, and who led the nation in receiving yards last year. He looks like he should be an NFL wide receiver, but he displayed very little physicality as a collegiate player and it'll be interesting to see if he can up his game against NFL corners. Another guy I like for the Cowboys is former Cowboys running back Joseph Randle. Like Gillislee, he doesn't have any outstanding physical traits. I just like the way he runs. There's nobody notable behind DeMarco Murray, so if Randle plays well in the preseason he could play his way into a regular role in the offense during the season. I have a feeling that will be the case. Should see a good dose of him tonight.

BallerT1215 08-04-2013 07:04 PM

Don't dismiss Miller too quickly.

Daniel Thomas is horrible though.

NIN1984 08-04-2013 07:13 PM

All eyes on Jonathan Martin tonight.

Caulibflower 08-04-2013 07:16 PM

Miller is just soft. You have to have a certain level of physicality to be a team's main running back, and Gillislee has a lot more of that than Miller. When you lack that physical element you lack decisiveness. Miller's definitely got some serious athletic ability, speed and acceleration, but too often he looks like he can't make up his mind where to go and he ends up dancing in place hoping an obvious hole opens up in front of him, or simply makes a dash for the sideline. It's just not good to have a running back who is so avoidant.

I've been watching some more of Gillislee's tape today, and he is decisive. He's not super explosive, but he makes his decision quickly and commits to it, and he gets significant yards after contact, something Miller does not do. With a shoddy line, it's going to do Miller no good to have long speed if he can't break tackles, because he's going to get hit behind the line of scrimmage. Even if Gillislee doesn't totally break a tackle, he almost always falls forward and that's because his feet are always moving and he doesn't stop until he's completely down. He's the kind of back who you can feed the ball to all game and he can wear a defense out, despite not having exceptional size or power; he just keeps picking up those 3-6 yard chunks with consistency, taking advantage of what his blockers give him and gaining first downs. If you want, check out the cutup of his game against LSU last year, where Florida gave it to him 34 times and he produced 146 yards and 2 TDs. He's got great stamina and drive. I just don't see some of those things with Miller, though he is more explosive from an athletic standpoint.

P-L 08-04-2013 07:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BallerT1215 (Post 3416271)

If Dolphin beat reporters are to be believed, a turnstile might be an upgrade over Jonathan Martin.

YAYareaRB 08-04-2013 07:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BallerT1215 (Post 3416271)

so he has to pay to get thru? :)

Caulibflower 08-04-2013 07:21 PM

How did Martin play on the right side last year? Didn't he start all 16 games? I didn't watch enough Dolphins games to know, but it seems odd to have a relatively high pick switch from one side to the other and now everyone's saying he's terrible. Seems like the switch shouldn't have that much of an impact on the way he plays, but maybe that just shows what I know about the differences between playing right and left tackle.

jrdrylie 08-04-2013 07:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by P-L (Post 3416342)
If Dolphin beat reporters are to be believed, a turnstile might be an upgrade over Jonathan Martin.

At least a turnstile can't get a holding penalty.

sbh15 08-04-2013 07:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Caulibflower (Post 3416340)
Miller is just soft. You have to have a certain level of physicality to be a team's main running back, and Gillislee has a lot more of that than Miller. When you lack that physical element you lack decisiveness. Miller's definitely got some serious athletic ability, speed and acceleration, but too often he looks like he can't make up his mind where to go and he ends up dancing in place hoping an obvious hole opens up in front of him, or simply makes a dash for the sideline. It's just not good to have a running back who is so avoidant.

I've been watching some more of Gillislee's tape today, and he is decisive. He's not super explosive, but he makes his decision quickly and commits to it, and he gets significant yards after contact, something Miller does not do. With a shoddy line, it's going to do Miller no good to have long speed if he can't break tackles, because he's going to get hit behind the line of scrimmage. Even if Gillislee doesn't totally break a tackle, he almost always falls forward and that's because his feet are always moving and he doesn't stop until he's completely down. He's the kind of back who you can feed the ball to all game and he can wear a defense out, despite not having exceptional size or power; he just keeps picking up those 3-6 yard chunks with consistency, taking advantage of what his blockers give him and gaining first downs. If you want, check out the cutup of his game against LSU last year, where Florida gave it to him 34 times and he produced 146 yards and 2 TDs. He's got great stamina and drive. I just don't see some of those things with Miller, though he is more explosive from an athletic standpoint.

i love gilly and as a florida fan he exceeded everyone's expectations. his ability in the run game is a large part of why the gators even made the sugar bowl. your comments are right on - i don't find there to be anything special about him but he is always gaining yards. he did seem to burst through the hole to me on some occasions last season as well. definitely lacks breakaway speed though. he is the reason i'm watching this game tonight

J-Mike88 08-04-2013 08:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jrdrylie (Post 3416365)
At least a turnstile can't get a holding penalty.

I give you LANCE EASLEY.

He called Sam Shields for pass interference on this play that Sidney Rice A) shoved & B) facemasked/yanked.


http://cache.daylife.com/imageserve/...kground=000000
[IMG]
[/IMG]

http://troglopundit.wordpress.com/20...e-not-looking/

prock 08-04-2013 08:19 PM

I wish we could have a thread without J-Mike bringing the Packers up out of no where.

Ness 08-04-2013 08:20 PM

Great start Miller.

XxXdragonXxX 08-04-2013 08:58 PM

Tanner is looking very good. Possibly because teams aren't allowed to tackle in practice now.

49erNation85 08-04-2013 09:10 PM

Stupid Wisconsin cable I'd blocking nbc till football season ugh darn tine Warner cable. How's the game?

PoopSandwich 08-04-2013 09:11 PM

Miami has caught the football really well today.

Cigaro 08-04-2013 09:12 PM

What are Holloman's odds for making the team? He was definitely an underrated player here.

Caulibflower 08-04-2013 09:17 PM

I'll say Lamar Miller looks a little better than I expected. :P First game, though. Defenses are both looking a bit loose.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:24 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.