2013 Bold Predictions
Well, preseason has officially started, so it's prediction time. We did this the last two years.
The rules are simple. Make five picks plus one homer pick. And make them bold. No "Minnesota is going to miss the playoffs and Indianapolis is going to win the AFC South." Also, it must be something that can be determined righrt or wrong by the Super Bowl, so no "Marquess Wilson will be the best receiver from this draft" predictions.
1. All the preseason hype is on Miami to be the team that finally pushes New England. But Buffalo, led by the runaway winner of the OROTY EJ Manuel, will be that team.
2. The Andy Reid-Alex Smith experiment is a massive failure, with Kansas City only winning only 5 games.
3. Seattle, the hot pick to represent the NFC in the Super Bowl, falls short of those expectations, going 7-9.
4. Denard Robinson is the only player to challenge EJ Manuel for OROTY after scoring 12+ TDs in 5 different ways (punt return, kick return, rushing, receiving, & passing).
5. Denver finishes 14-2 with their only losses coming week one against Baltimore and the last game against Oakland when Peyton Manning is resting for the playoffs.
Homer: Matt Forte leads the league in yards from scrimmage (1,948) and total TD (17).
1. The NFC West will have 3 teams in the playoffs with the Cardinals missing out but being 7-9
2. San Diego will return to the playoffs with a wild card berth
3. No RB will come within 500 yards of 2000 this year
4. Tavon Austin runs away with OROTY with close to 2000 all purpose yards
5. Both Jacksonville and Oakland surprise people this year and neither ends up with the first overall pick...that honor goes to the Tennessee Titans
Homer Pick. Rob Gronkowski will miss the first 6 games on PUP but still finishes the year with double digit TDs
1. The Jets make the playoffs.
2. Manti Te'o finds a real girlfriend and lives happily ever after
3. Aaron Hernandez returns Week 16 after months of buildup and hype surrounding it ala Derrick Rose.
4. St. Louis Rams win the division after Kaepernick and Wilson both struggle in their second year starting. Bradford is gonna have a huge year!
5. Tampa Bay has the best defence in the league and Darrelle Revis wins DPOTY.
Homer: Jake Locker wins MVP and as he accepts the award he drops the mic and retires, citing the reason that he always wanted to follow his dream and become a grad assistant at the University of Washington.
1. Bills will win AFC East
2. 3 teams from the AFC South will make the playoffs (IND, TEN, HOU)
3. Every team in the AFC North will finish within 1 or 2 games of eachother
4. Cardinals will finish ahead of Seahawks and make the playoffs
1. Jets make the playoffs
2. San Francisco misses the playoffs
3. The sack record gets broken
4. Denard Robinson replaces MJD as the feature back in Jacksonville
5. Jay Cutler is a better and more productive qb in 2013/2014 than Aaron Rodgers
Homer pick: The Giants have a top 3 offense in the NFL.
1. One of the early super bowl favorite teams loses their starting QB early on and end up picking in the top 10.
2. Alex Smith-Andy Reid combo win a playoff game their 1st season together.
3. Oakland Raiders finish with a .500 or above record.
4. Tim Tebow actually becomes a viable contributor to the New England Patriots.
5. Sanchez has more TDs then turnovers this year.
Homer Pick: Geno Atkins breaks Warren Sapp record of 16.5 sacks in a season for a DT.
1. Neither the Seahawks nor the 49ers will make it past the first round of the playoffs, and one or maybe even both of these teams might even fail to make the playoffs.
2. At least 2 of the 4 young "breakout" QBs from last year (Kaepernick, Wilson, RGIII, Luck) will have a terrible season and regress severely.
3. The Rams will be the best team in the NFC West, win the division, and make a deep playoff run behind a top-5 defense and a much improved offense.
4. The Chicago Bears surprise everyone as Mark Tresstman turns Jay Cutler into a top-3 QB, the defense plays well, and they obtain the #1 seed in the NFC.
5. The Patriots have a stunning fall from grace - Tom Brady suddenly looks old, the defense is bad as ever, and none of the offensive skill positions look good. They fail to make the playoffs with Brady under center for the first time in many years.
2. Very possible. Wilson and RGIII would be my guesses.
3. I am a Sam Bradford hater so HAHAHAHAHAHA
4. Would love to see it happen but I doubt it.
5. I won't buy a Brady collapse until I see it.
1. Packers and Ravens miss the playoffs
2. Bengals in AFC Champ game
3. Cardinals make the playoffs as a wild card
4. Russel Wilson sucks badly in year 2
5. Lions win the division and a playoff game
I don't think it's possible for RG3/CK/Wilson/Luck to have terrible sophomore seasons. Maybe average seasons and non-pro bowl, but I can't see them flat out sucking like Mark Sanchez.
THe biggest question mark among all four is can RG3 play healthy all season, otherwise I think each one of them plays on a similar level or better than last season.
I totally expect Luck's completion percentage to jump 10 points and his passing TDs to go up 10-12.
Don't hate. All those guys happen to be good young QBs.
Strong arms, good decision makers, clutch and accurate passers.
1. The Patriot's offense shifts to their running backs and Stevan Ridley and Shane Vereen both post 1000 yards from scrimmage.
2. Braylon Edwards shows he's not quite done yet and takes advantage of the Jets lack of depth at... offense... to post the second-best statistical season of his career.
3. Alex Smith posts career numbers across the board and makes his first Pro Bowl as the Chiefs make the playoffs.
4. The Falcons can't maintain their level of separation over their quietly-improved NFC South competition and miss the playoffs.
5. Detroit's defensive line flips a switch and the improved quality/consistency of play is enough to allow the tweaked offense to carry the team to 10 wins and a playoff birth. Reggie Bush leads all running backs in receptions and make the Pro Bowl.
6. (Homer prediction) Golden Tate becomes Seattle's number one receiver and posts somewhere in the neighborhood of 1000 yards and 10 TDs on ~70 catches.
1. Eagles and Raiders tie for the worst record in the league.
2. Bills upset the Pats for the Division Crown, with EJ Manuel taking OROY
3. Andy Dalton leads the Bengals to the North Crown and makes the Pro Bowl.
4. Baltimore fails to make the Playoffs
5. Bears Regret firing Lovie Smith as they fall apart.
6. Saints finish below .500 (NO DEFENSE Imrpovements)
7. Cowboys win the East
8. Rams fail to live up to the offseason hype.
9. Cheifs make the wild card in the AfC
10. Colin Kaepernick wins NFL MVP
I will not involve any homer picks for the Bills in the predictions:
1.) Carson Palmer has a 4000 yd passing season.
2.) Jamaal Charles wins MVP
3.) The Detroit Lions win the NFC North.
4.) Shane Vereen has 1500 YFS for the Pats.
5.) Foles will take over as QB by midseason for the Eagles.
1) The Eagles offense surprises the league and paves the way to them making the playoffs. I think the Chip Kelly might just surprise everyone or fail hard.
2) Luck gets in the MVP race. His completing percentage jumps 10%, adds 12 Tds and cuts out 8 Ints. The Colts also win the AFCSouth.
3) Only 1 team from the NFCW makes the playoffs at 11 wins. With all of the teams getting more decent they take each other out.
4) Bengals represent the AFC in the Superbowl. Dalton steps up and plays like a winner.
5) The Patriots offense falls off a lot. When Amendola gets hurt, the weapons just won't be there. Brady will have to shoulder more of the burden and his turnovers go up. The running backs will get theirs but the offense won't be nearly as productive. They still win the division because the other 3 are worse.
6) Kaepernick come down to earth with a rocky sophomore season. The read option gets less substantial gains and impact. He also deals with some minor injuries that hurt his mobility. He won't be outright bad, but he will struggle at times.
7) STL, TB, MIN, DAL, HOU, & OAK all decide to start making plans to move on to new QBs. They might not cut guys immediately, but they make the appropriate steps to draft/sign new ones.
8) Aaron Rodgers misses significant time (4-8 games over the year) because of his crappy OL. VY comes in and plays like a decent back up because of the quality of the WR core & new run game and actually wins a little less than half his starts.
9) Jacksonville gets 1 win and has to decide between Clowney and being suck with Gabbert still or Bridgewater and passing on a certain all pro.
10) Peyton Manning breaks the passing TD record again at 52 TDS and has 3 1,000 yard receivers again. The Broncos go 14-2 and then Peyton loses in the playoffs.
-Homer: Joe Flacco finally breaks 4k passing and 30TDs. The playoffs version is the real deal and he and Torrey form the best deep ball combo in the league. Deepballs. All. Day. Long.
-Adrian Peterson gets disillusioned by Ponders ineptitude and walks away for the year. Toby Gerhart then runs for 2098 yards and refuses to pass the ball.
-Ravens get desperate for receivers and bring out the rolodex and bring back Clarence Moore. He goes off for 500 yards and 3 TD over the season. The game is never the same.
1. Cam Newton leads the Panthers to a Wild Card Berth including 35+ Total Touchdowns.
2. Manti Te'o wins Defensive ROY
3. Andy Dalton throws for 4,500+ Yards leading the Bengals to the Divisional Round to lose to the Denver Broncos.
4. Superbowl XLVIII will consist of the Houston Texans vs. New Orleans Saints
5. The all-time sack record will finally be broken this year by Cameron Wake
Homer Prediction: Christian Ponder silents the haters and shows improvement by throwing for 3,300-3,700 yards with 25 touchdowns.
1. Two NFC wildcard teams will come from the same division
2. Bengals win the AFC North
3. Ryan Matthews has 1,200 yards for the Chargers
4. Eli Mannings injury streak snaps
5. Marcus Lattimore scores a TD this season.
Homer: Saints defense is Top 10 in INTs this season.
1) Adrian Peterson falls from grace, getting between 1200 and 1300 rushing yards.
2) JJ Watt picks up less than 10 sacks.
3) Chris Johnson rushes for over 1400 yards
4) Matt Ryan finally wins his superbowl
5) Titans make the playoff
*Made two homer picks, so sue me
Rob Ryan is in an epic failure in new orleans and is relegated to being a position coach, where he belongs, for the rest of his career. his days of living off his familys reputation finally come to an end.
1. Rams are going to take one of the NFC West's 2 playoff spots.
2. The Falcons will be one and done again in the playoffs.
3. Sam Bradford will be the most impressive young QB in the NFC West
4. The Bears will get the NFC's 2nd WC spot as the Giants and Falcons round out the playoff teams in the NFC
5. Tennesse is going to blow away expectations on offense as Womack and Levitre will turn that OL into a force again that blows holes open for CJ to show people that he still has it. On the back of that Jake Locker will take big steps and turn that offense into one of the more explosive young groups around.
Homer: The giants offense, my god. Randle beasting alongside Cruz and Nicks gives us a trio as nasty as any in the NFL and David Wilson will make big plays all day long, with Eli making it all work behind an improved OL that offense is just going to be disgusting.
Bucs win NFCS.
- A rookie DB will lead the league in INTs.
- Arian Foster will start to decline, and wont crack the 3.9 ypc mark.
- Justin James Watt will be the first player to win back to back DPOY awards.
- Andrew Luck will improve greatly, and by the end of the season he will be widely considered to be a top 5 QB. I expect great improvement in tds, completion%, as well as him taking less sacks and throwing less picks.
- Janoris Jenkins will be a pro bowler, maybe even an all pro.
- Brian Hartline will be Miamis leading WR in receptions and tds.
- The Falcons defense will be in the buttom 3 in the league in sacks made. The defenses lack of pass rush will eventually lead to the team once again not getting to the Super Bowl.
- As previously stated, the sack record will be broken.
Homer pick: The Ravens defense will lead the league in sacks.
|All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:39 AM.|
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.