So... now there's a thread for this. Can't wait to see them play on Thursday.
Excited to see:
- Golden Tate's development. I feel like he and Russell Wilson have developed a good rapport and chemistry and Russell's not afraid to throw it up to him. I think Tate's going to have a bunch of highlight-reel plays this year.
- Christine Michael. I think he's going to unseat Turbin sooner rather than later as Marshawn's backup, and frankly, I'm not sure the Seahawks have ever had a running back as explosive as Michael. Make no mistake, Marshawn is going to be the starter all the way through, but don't be surprised to see Michael get significant carries and I think he could crack 500 rushing yards as a rookie. Even if he's not a big factor immediately in the running game, word is they're going to give him a look at kick returner, so that's something else to watch in the preseason.
- Luke Willson. Like Michael, Willson is probably the most explosive player the Seahawks have had at his respective position. Zach Miller's not going to blow by anybody, but Willson can. He's catching touchdowns in camp, and I expect that to continue into the season. Think the front office snagged another 5th-round diamond in the rough with him the more I see and hear.
- Spencer Ware. I love the running backs Pete Carroll is collecting. How awesome would it be if Ware develops into a John L. Williams sort of player? I think that's the skillset he has to offer. I certainly don't expect that of him right away, but I think he's going to be fun to watch in preseason games and I really hope he makes the roster. (I think it's a good bet he will.)
- Defensive tackle. Jesse Williams sounds like he's still having problems with his knee, and they let Alan Branch go. Who's going to clog the middle? Jaye Howard's undersized for that role. Jordan Hill's more of a penetrator than a clogger as well. Is that job going to go to one of the new guys? Is Mebane supposed to be double-teamed all game? We had serious problems stopping the run late last year, and I think the roster's a little thin. (Pun kind of intended.) I'm just not sure who they have that's going to anchor the line. They've got Mebane, but other than that it seems like a bunch of pass-rushers and that makes me nervous. A running team has got to be able to stop the run.
Tate should have a monster year. I have serious doubts that we will resign him. He and Wilson have been very good since the beginning.
I am disappointed in Williams too. He was my favorite pick up in the draft and I'm not sure he's 100% either. However Hill has been a marvelous surprise. Seattle is going to have a lot of talent fall off the DL that could play for other teams. But ultimately, I'm still waiting for that interior pass rusher. We seem stocked to the gills in outside rushers.
The offensive line has been a huge surprise. We have a lot of talent there. Bowie and Bailey look like they will make the squad and contribute. Of all of the rookies and UDFAs, Bailey looks like he'll be the biggest contributor early on. The game doesn't look to be too fast for him and he's been consistently superb.
We look pretty stacked at LB too. Great depth and projects from last year seem to be greatly improved. Moving Irvin to SAM and adding Avril to OLB look to have really crowded this corps.
I'm not sure Ware is going to make the active roster. I don't see him being able to add what Robinson still provides. They'll keep Turbin and Michael. I have a hard time seeing them carry 5 backs, considering the depth they'll want to keep elsewhere.
I also am not as high as some on Willson. It just seems like he is hit and miss a lot. As if he's still thinking about what he's supposed to do. He has good/great speed. But it also looks like he doesn't afford good separation and doesn't particularly fight for the ball as much as he needs to given that he's not getting open enough. It could be he needs to tighten his routes more. Whatever the reason, he's not contributing as much as his targets have warranted he should. To me he looks like he may need a year to settle down. He should make the squad but I'm not hopeful that he blossoms this season.
I've been pleasantly surprised by our defensive tackles so far. Hope Bennett can heal quickly. Clinton McDonald's been playing his butt off, too.
Bennett has become a must resign for us. He's been outstanding.
McDonald would have never been cut if he was playing the way he is now. I see him sticking around for the duration this year. He's reminding me of how Rocky Bernard played in his early days. He's been magnificently active.
McDaniel is another guy who has performed well. We've played a lot of really good OL/running teams out of the gate and we've really done very well. Bryant is playing like he's in a contract year and he's going to be a tough salary cap casualty next year.
Hill hasn't even played a snap this year. I am very interested to see how he fits. Coming into the season, it looked very much like Seattle was going into 2014 with the same primary need as it did in 2013. That doesn't look like it's the case at all any more. It really opens up the draft options for us in 2014.
If I had to hazard a guess, our draft is going to be more about succession than need. The roster is changing into one where we are entering the second contract phase. Some second contracts are going to have to be left on the table in order to resign the guys we really need. Our draft is probably going to be aimed at succeeding the guys we have to let walk.
We'll be in a treading water phase talent wise. But it should be a phase where we can maintain excellence rather than regress to the mean as the system is intended.
Your Bennett comment is odd timing? How much did he play yesterday before he was injured?
We could still use upgrades along the offensive line and even including LT because it's tough to count on Okung to stay healthy. His career has been marred by injuries and he might just be one of those players.
We definitely need an infusion of youth at outside WR and TE.
And on D, we're going to be losing Browner. So we'll need a CB even if WTIII can start at RCB.
Otherwise you can never have enough quality DL or special teams LBs.
|All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:09 AM.|
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2013, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.