Draft Countdown Forums

Draft Countdown Forums (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/index.php)
-   Pro Football (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=44)
-   -   2011 NFL draft... Could be one of the best ever? (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/showthread.php?t=57242)

bigbuc 08-23-2013 03:27 AM

2011 NFL draft... Could be one of the best ever?
 
It's a little early in the process, but looking back at this draft it's crazy how many players are looked at as some of the best if not the best in the NFL.

Von Miller- Top 2 OLB
AJ Green- Top 3 WR
Patrick Peterson- Top 5 CB
Juilo Jones- Top 8 WR
Aldon Smith- Top 5 Pass Rusher
JJ Watt- Best Dlinemen in football

Then you get into really good players

Ryan Kerrigan
Robert Quinn
Nate Solder
Corey Liuget
Mike Pouncey
Tyron Smith
Phil Taylor
Muhammad Wilkerson
Marcell Dareus
Adrian Clayborn ( hurt last year )

That's a lot of players that have made impacts for their teams very quickly. They say wait 3 years. Well this group didn't want to wait around.

Thecollegedropout 08-23-2013 03:43 AM

2011 Draft was pretty decent for the Jets. Wilkerson, K. Ellis, Bilal Powell, Jeremy Kerley, Greg McElroy.......

3 maybe 4 starters on our team from this draft.

This seems like a really nice draft all around that has a lot of guys coming into their own. I gave Mr T. flack for his lackluster Jets draft but this one doesn't seem so bad....shame we didn't have too many picks in this draft though.

Eazy Picks 08-23-2013 04:11 AM

how are you leaving out Cam Newton, Colin Kaepernick, and Richard Sherman?

but yes i agree incredible draft...the way its going it could be the best ever

last years wasnt too shabby either...incredible QB class

niel89 08-23-2013 04:22 AM

It is looking really good so far but need a lot of staying power to be an all time class. I'm not really blown away from that second part of the list. Good players but not crazy awesome.

Eazy Picks 08-23-2013 04:34 AM

just lookin thru the list now and it really is crazy...some other names I think we left out

Andy Dalton, torrey smith, Demarco Murray, Stevan Ridley, Nick Fairley, Amukamara, Costonzo, Cameron Jordan, Jordan Cameron, Jimmy Smith, Kyle Rudolph, Brooks Reed, Rahim Moore, Jabal Sheard, Akeem Ayers, Bruce Carter, Stef Wisnewski, orlando franklin, greg little, vincent brown, akeem dent, rob housler, chris culliver, chris conte, sam acho, jacquizz rodgers, denarius moore, jeremy kerley, kj wright, jarvin jenkins, sam acho, colin mccarthy, cecil shorts, karl klug...

I know Im stretching on some of these, but im just pointing out the overall depth of the draft. not only did it produce some superstars and probable future hall of famers, but just a lot of quality starters and role players. there are actually plenty of guys I like that I left out.

in terms of busts

theres the three 1st round QBs...But I only think Gabbert will be a bust. Ponder I think will turn it around and have some good years in Minnesota and be a good but not great QB. Locker Im not sure still could be a bust but I think he will prove to be decent.

besides the QBs you have to go all the way to 23 to find a guy who is a real bust. every player from 1-22 is a starter right now, and only a handful of them aren't high-quality starters.

theres a few others busts in there like Jonathan Baldwin, Gabe Carimi and James Carpenter, titus young, derek sherrod..who have been major busts...

then theres guys like jimmy smith, mark ingram, cameron heyward...but theyre not busts they are decent players who havent been able to crack the starting lineups and may still prove to very good.

49erNation85 08-23-2013 04:38 AM

Baldwiin is gonna go all beast mode in SF just watch.

Eazy Picks 08-23-2013 11:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 49erNation85 (Post 3430598)
Baldwiin is gonna go all beast mode in SF just watch.

im wonderin...he seems like he could excel catching deep ball from kaep...but he was so bad in kc...

Splat 08-23-2013 11:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 49erNation85 (Post 3430598)
Baldwiin is gonna go all beast mode in SF just watch.

He can't get open or catch. Have fun with that.

TimmG6376 08-23-2013 11:54 AM

The Sherrod pick has really set the O-line development back in Green Bay but through no fault of his own. He suffered a pretty gruesome broken leg for which he had emergency surgery. The bones didn't heal properly so he had to have a follow up procedure to correct an issue with his ankle. The GB front office keeps holding out hope that he'll at some point be available but it is looking unlikely that he'll ever live up to the potential they saw when he was drafted.

FUNBUNCHER 08-23-2013 12:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eazy Picks (Post 3430738)
im wonderin...he seems like he could excel catching deep ball from kaep...but he was so bad in kc...


Wait until Dwayne Bowe finds out that Andy Reid isn't too keen on throwing the ball to his WRs.:wave:

The solid players who came out of the 2011 draft isn't really exceptional for a 'good' draft year. It's the superstars/potential HOFers I like to see.

Watt/Aldon Smith/Von Miller/AJ Green/PP/Richard Sherman/Suh/Julio Jones/Kaepernick/Newton all have HOF potential.

If 7-8 of those guys ended up in Canton, you'd have a real strong argument this is one of the best draft classes ever.

mightytitan9 08-23-2013 12:50 PM

Um hey, you forgot JAKE LOCKER

:wave:

Brodeur 08-23-2013 12:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by niel89 (Post 3430593)
It is looking really good so far but need a lot of staying power to be an all time class. I'm not really blown away from that second part of the list. Good players but not crazy awesome.

JJ Watt just had one of the best seasons of all time, so it's a pretty decent start.

Don Vito 08-23-2013 01:27 PM

You forgot Ras-I Dowling

jth1331 08-23-2013 05:25 PM

It's amazing you could have 3 of the top players at their respective positions, at minimum, from this class say 5 years from now.

JJ Watt - Best DL
Von Miller - Best LB
Patrick Peterson - Best CB

bucfan12 08-23-2013 07:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eazy Picks (Post 3430738)
im wonderin...he seems like he could excel catching deep ball from kaep...but he was so bad in kc...

KC Gave up on Baldwin too quickly. AJ Jenkins was a wash to begin with.

bucfan12 08-23-2013 07:16 PM

2011 seems like it was the year of the Pass rusher. Some good QBs like Dalton and Kaepernick are in there. Pondner was solid last year. Newton to me needs to develop as a passer.

Eazy Picks 08-23-2013 08:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FUNBUNCHER (Post 3430789)
Wait until Dwayne Bowe finds out that Andy Reid isn't too keen on throwing the ball to his WRs.:wave:

The solid players who came out of the 2011 draft isn't really exceptional for a 'good' draft year. It's the superstars/potential HOFers I like to see.

Watt/Aldon Smith/Von Miller/AJ Green/PP/Richard Sherman/Suh/Julio Jones/Kaepernick/Newton all have HOF potential.

If 7-8 of those guys ended up in Canton, you'd have a real strong argument this is one of the best draft classes ever.

i agree it is the superstars that make this draft one of the best of all time. And yes I agree all those guys do have HOF potential and I expect quite a few of them to make it there. And HOF aside, if you name the best players in the league right now quite a few of them come from this draft....

watt is the best defensive player in the league, and its really not close

AJ Green and Julio are both top 5 receivers, I would place AJ Green as high as 2, Julio might be fringe top 5, but without quesiton top 10. And he could be top 3 after this year.

Last year peterson and sherman were arguably the two best corners in the league. Revis (if healthy) and Tillman are the only guys who can really be argued as better.

Watt and Aldon Smith are the games two most dominant edge rushers

Suh is a top 5 DT, probably 2nd best pass-rushing DT after Atkins. He could easily be considered the best a year or two from now.

Kaep and Cam are two of the most talented QBs to ever play in the NFL and they have both had incredible success from day 1.

Mike Pouncey is arguably the best center in the game

Bruce Carter is gonna be a breakout star, people will be calling him a top 5 OLB by the end of the year

Pro football focus graded Muhammad Wilkerson out as the 2nd best 3-4 DE in the league after Watt....I could go on

but the draft also produced a pretty amazing amount of just quality players...I dont need to list em again...Its just crazy how few bad players there were in this draft and the number of picks that turned into quality contributors. even the guys who werent stars are still good players.

SuperPacker 08-23-2013 09:04 PM

What's the most HOFers a single draft has had?

jth1331 08-23-2013 11:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eazy Picks (Post 3431175)
i agree it is the superstars that make this draft one of the best of all time. And yes I agree all those guys do have HOF potential and I expect quite a few of them to make it there. And HOF aside, if you name the best players in the league right now quite a few of them come from this draft....

watt is the best defensive player in the league, and its really not close

AJ Green and Julio are both top 5 receivers, I would place AJ Green as high as 2, Julio might be fringe top 5, but without quesiton top 10. And he could be top 3 after this year.

Last year peterson and sherman were arguably the two best corners in the league. Revis (if healthy) and Tillman are the only guys who can really be argued as better.

Watt and Aldon Smith are the games two most dominant edge rushers

Suh is a top 5 DT, probably 2nd best pass-rushing DT after Atkins. He could easily be considered the best a year or two from now.

Kaep and Cam are two of the most talented QBs to ever play in the NFL and they have both had incredible success from day 1.

Mike Pouncey is arguably the best center in the game

Bruce Carter is gonna be a breakout star, people will be calling him a top 5 OLB by the end of the year

Pro football focus graded Muhammad Wilkerson out as the 2nd best 3-4 DE in the league after Watt....I could go on

but the draft also produced a pretty amazing amount of just quality players...I dont need to list em again...Its just crazy how few bad players there were in this draft and the number of picks that turned into quality contributors. even the guys who werent stars are still good players.

This entire list you made, and you left off Von Miller....

For shame bro...


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:50 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.