Draft Countdown Forums

Draft Countdown Forums (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/index.php)
-   2014 NFL Draft Forum (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=47)
-   -   3-4 OLBs (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/showthread.php?t=57257)

Babylon 08-26-2013 03:12 PM

3-4 OLBs

With sack total and an optimistic NFL comparison

Jadevon Clowney, 13 sacks. Comparison: Lawrence Taylor

Anthony Barr, 13 sacks. comparison: Dion Jordan

Trent Murphy, 10 sacks. Comparison: Ryan Kerrigan

Morgan Breslin, 13 sacks. Comparison: Jarvis Jones

Adrian Hubbard, 7 sacks. Comparison: Aldon Smith

Don Vito 08-26-2013 03:20 PM

Clowney is Clowney.

Barr is about as close to a prototypical 3-4 OLB prospect you can find. He's got great size, athleticism, and the production to back it up.

Hubbard has a lot of talent but needs to put it together this year.

Here is my top 5:

1. Clowney (not his best fit, but if you need a pass rusher you're taking him)
2. Barr
3. Van Noy
4. Devonte Fields (not eligible yet I know)
5. Hubbard

Caulibflower 08-26-2013 03:43 PM

Yeah, I gotta say Clowney is just Clowney, too, unless you mean he could have as unique an impact on the game as Lawrence Taylor. I think Clowney probably really is the best prospect I've ever seen.

Raiderz4Life 08-26-2013 04:04 PM

Puttin Clowney in a 34 would be such a shame.

Babylon 08-26-2013 04:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Raiderz4Life (Post 3432485)
Puttin Clowney in a 34 would be such a shame.

Works for Clay Matthews.

Raiderz4Life 08-26-2013 04:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Babylon (Post 3432488)
Works for Clay Matthews.

Clay Matthews isn't 6'6 270 pounds

Ozzy 08-26-2013 09:16 PM

Quote:

Babylon With sack total and an optimistic NFL comparison

Jadevon Clowney, 13 sacks. Comparison: Lawrence Taylor

Anthony Barr, 13 sacks. comparison: Dion Jordan

Trent Murphy, 10 sacks. Comparison: Ryan Kerrigan

Morgan Breslin, 13 sacks. Comparison: Jarvis Jones

Adrian Hubbard, 7 sacks. Comparison: Aldon Smith
I do not get a lot of these comparisons.

Clowney like Raiderz4Life said, it would be a damn shame if he was in a 3/4, he should stay in a 4/3 I feel at his size, there is little to no reason he should be in a 3/4. Kind of absurd to even put him on this list really, I think few view him as a 3/4 OLB.

Barr and Jordan, sure but Jordan has not even played in the NFL yet, and Barr is more than just a rush linebacker I think but we will see.

Murphy and Kerrigan, insane, Kerrigan is far more athletic than Murphy is, and Murphy is far more physical than Kerrigan.

Berslin and Jarvis Jones, Jones is a complete player, Berslin is more of just a pass rush guy, I really don't see the connection there. Berslin has not shown that versatility at all from what I have seen. Jones could play linebacker in a 3/4 or a 4/3, Berslin could not do that.

Last is Hubbard, love the kid but Aldon Smith is arguably a top 3 pass rusher in the NFL. I like Hubbard but he will never be as good as Aldon Smith is. Very talented player but no where close to that same level of talent.

Jackson Jeffcoat and Prince Shembo are two possible 3/4 OLB's, Shembo could be a really good one I feel. Then you have Jake Ryan but he has the injury issue and is out all this season I think.

Could possibly throw juniors Xzavier Dickson, Marcus Rush and Demarcus Lawrence in there but doubt they come out.

Iamcanadian 08-26-2013 09:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ozzy (Post 3432654)

Clowney like Raiderz4Life said, it would be a damn shame if he was in a 3/4, he should stay in a 4/3 I feel at his size, there is little to no reason he should be in a 3/4. Kind of absurd to even put him on this list really, I think few view him as a 3/4 OLB.

Quote:

While I agree I would love to see him in a 4-3, still, a lot of teams play a 3-4 and I doubt they would pass on Clowney if they had the opportunity.
Barr and Jordan, sure but Jordan has not even played in the NFL yet, and Barr is more than just a rush linebacker I think but we will see.

Murphy and Kerrigan, insane, Kerrigan is far more athletic than Murphy is, and Murphy is far more physical than Kerrigan.

Berslin and Jarvis Jones, Jones is a complete player, Berslin is more of just a pass rush guy, I really don't see the connection there. Berslin has not shown that versatility at all from what I have seen. Jones could play linebacker in a 3/4 or a 4/3, Berslin could not do that.

Quote:

I don't believe Jones is a complete player and seriously doubt he could play in a 4-3 where he would be exposed far more often in pass coverage, that's why he lasted till Pittsburgh's pick because they will rarely ask him to drop into coverage.
Last is Hubbard, love the kid but Aldon Smith is arguably a top 3 pass rusher in the NFL. I like Hubbard but he will never be as good as Aldon Smith is. Very talented player but no where close to that same level of talent.

Quote:

Hubbard really intrigues me with his size, hard to tell just how good he will become playing for Saban, but you are usually pretty talented if he starts you.

Jackson Jeffcoat and Prince Shembo are two possible 3/4 OLB's, Shembo could be a really good one I feel. Then you have Jake Ryan but he has the injury issue and is out all this season I think.

Could possibly throw juniors Xzavier Dickson, Marcus Rush and Demarcus Lawrence in there but doubt they come out.

It is a fascinating crop.

Babylon 08-27-2013 12:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ozzy (Post 3432654)

I just wanted to throw out some comparisons as to what the upside could be for some of these guys. didn't mean to offend anyone.

Kyle472 08-28-2013 01:54 AM

Barr is much better then Dion Jordan so that's a horrible comparison.

VAfy-ya 09-15-2013 01:14 AM

No one's talking about VT's James Gayle...but they should be. He's flying under the radar so to speak, but I think he's going to be a very good 3-4 OLB at the next level.