Draft Countdown Forums

Draft Countdown Forums (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/index.php)
-   Mock Drafts (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=43)
-   -   September 10th Mock Draft (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/showthread.php?t=57367)

Matthew Jones 09-10-2013 05:46 PM

September 10th Mock Draft

My initial attempt of the year for NEPatriotsDraft. Let me know what you think!

September 10th Mock Draft

1. Jacksonville Jaguars – DE Jadeveon Clowney, South Carolina*

Drafting Bridgewater is a consideration, but Clowney has freakish physical talent.

2. Arizona Cardinals – OT Jake Matthews, Texas A&M

Incumbent Levi Brown has been one of the worst blindside protectors in the league.

3. Oakland Raiders – QB Teddy Bridgewater, Louisville*

It’s unlikely that any of the four quarterbacks currently on roster will become quality starters.

4. Cleveland Browns – CB Bradley Roby, Ohio St.*

Another athletic man coverage cornerback to start opposite stud Joe Haden would be ideal.

5. Buffalo Bills – LB Anthony Barr, UCLA

Defensive coordinator Mike Pettine implements plenty of linebacker blitzes into his defense.

6. New York Jets – LB C.J. Mosley, Alabama

Mosley is the type of scheme-versatile linebacker that should appeal to GM John Idzik.

7. Tennessee Titans – DE Trent Murphy, Stanford

Drafting a productive pass rusher would allow Tennessee to part ways with Kam Wimbley.

8. Carolina Panthers – OT Taylor Lewan, Michigan

Lewan would provide a massive upgrade over Byron Bell and help Carolina pound the ball.

9. Kansas City Chiefs – DE Stephon Tuitt, Notre Dame*

Left end Tyson Jackson offers little to nothing as a pass rusher, which makes Tuitt appealing.

10. Philadelphia Eagles – WR Marqise Lee, Southern California*

Lee, who played with QB Matt Barkley, could replace impending free agent Jeremy Maclin.

11. St. Louis Rams – OG Cyril Richardson, Baylor

The 6’5”, 335-pound Richardson could complete St. Louis’ offensive line, currently missing a LG.

12. San Diego Chargers – OT Cyrus Kouandjio, Alabama*

Kouandjio kept D.J. Fluker on the right side at Alabama and could do the same in San Diego.

13. Tampa Bay Buccaneers – DT Louis Nix, Notre Dame*

Playing next to a 350-pound space eater would elevate star Gerald McCoy to another level.

14. Minnesota Vikings – LB Ryan Shazier, Ohio St.*

An incredibly athletic weakside ‘backer, Shazier would join Chad Greenway and Erin Henderson.

15. Detroit Lions – OT Antonio Richardson, Tennessee*

Offensive coordinator Scott Linehan’s man-blocking scheme favors Richardson’s size and power.

16. Miami Dolphins – OT Cameron Erving, Florida St.*

So far, the idea that Jonathan Martin is Miami’s left tackle of the future remains unsubstantiated.

17. St. Louis Rams (from Redskins) – DB Ha’sean Clinton-Dix, Alabama*

The cornerback position has been addressed, but the Rams still lack quality options at safety.

18. Chicago Bears – OT James Hurst, North Carolina

Kyle Long will probably remain at right guard, which makes right tackle a priority this offseason.

19. Indianapolis Colts – WR Sammy Watkins, Clemson*

Reggie Wayne is aging, and Darrius Heyward-Bey is not a capable number one option at receiver.

20. Dallas Cowboys – DE Aaron Lynch, South Florida*

Franchise player Anthony Spencer may not be a member of the Cowboys beyond this season.

21. Cincinnati Bengals – LB Khalil Mack, Buffalo

Adding the disruptive Mack as the eventual successor to James Harrison makes sense here.

22. Baltimore Ravens – WR Jordan Matthews, Vanderbilt

The tall, strong, physical Matthews would make sense as a replacement for Anquan Boldin.

23. New York Giants – CB Ifo Ekpre-Olomu, Oregon*

Corey Webster, Aaron Ross, and Jayron Hosley struggled in ’12; Terrell Thomas was hurt again.

24. New Orleans Saints – LB Kyle Van Noy, Brigham Young

Even when healthy, Will Smith may not possess the athleticism to stand up in the 3-4 defense.

25. Pittsburgh Steelers – TE Austin Seferian-Jenkins, Washington*

Heath Miller will turn 31 this October and is still recovering from a serious knee injury.

26. Atlanta Falcons – DT Timmy Jernigan, Florida St.*

Starter Corey Peters is among the weak links on Atlanta’s defense, clearing the way for Jernigan.

27. Houston Texans – DT Daniel McCullers, Tennessee

Despite his size, McCullers is also disruptive enough against the pass to fit Wade Phillips’ defense.

28. Seattle Seahawks – OG Gabe Jackson, Mississippi St.

Seattle’s otherwise-loaded roster is uneven at best along the offensive line and lands a great value.

29. Green Bay Packers – TE Eric Ebron, North Carolina*

Perennially-underwhelming tight end Jermichael Finley could be made expendable by Ebron.

30. New England Patriots – DE Kareem Martin, North Carolina

At 6’5” and 265 pounds, Martin possesses the size New England covets in their front seven.

31. San Francisco 49ers – CB Loucheiz Purifoy, Florida*

Purifoy has the size and athleticism to intrigue as a developmental press-man cornerback.

32. Denver Broncos – DT Anthony Johnson, Louisiana St.*

Johnson would fit well as a three-technique next to 2013 first-round pick Sylvester Williams.

jrdrylie 09-10-2013 05:53 PM

The Bears pick is meh. Conte and Wright aren't exactly All Pros at safety, but I think corner is a bigger need with the top 5 all free agents. The Bears will need at least one starter there.

For the Jaguars, I honestly think Clowney is a terrible pick. Will he be good? Most likely, but he won't turn the team around. No team rides a defensive end to the playoffs. Clowney will be irrelevant with Gabbert/Henne/Stanzi back there sling the ball.

shylo3716 09-10-2013 05:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Matthew Jones (Post 3443783)
My initial attempt of the year for NEPatriotsDraft. Let me know what you think!

I find it pretty hard to believe you only have 1 QB in the 1st Round.

Don Vito 09-10-2013 06:15 PM

Kareem Martin would be a nice pickup, wouldn't mind Anthony Johnson either.

ArkyRamsFan 09-10-2013 06:18 PM

Hey, Matthew Jones: The Rams own Washington's first round pick. So you'll have to re evaluate who the RAMS will be taking at No. 17. However, Hurst may still be in the mix since Saffold will be a FA and could be moving on this off season.

The RG111 trade is still alive!!:evil_laugh: :wave:

WHAT SAY YE?

Pat Sims 90 09-10-2013 06:44 PM

Mack is ok. The Bengals are still looking for that DE/LB Combo starter. I would rather them address the secondary with either a Corner or Safety, but no real big complaints here.

TheMatriculator 09-10-2013 07:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Matthew Jones (Post 3443783)
9. Kansas City Chiefs – DE Stephon Tuitt, Notre Dame*

Left end Tyson Jackson offers little to nothing as a pass rusher, which makes Tuitt appealing.

Actually I like the pick but a couple of comments seem to be in order. Tyson Jackson looks better in the new defense than I have ever seem him and if I was replacing a DE it would be DeVito who seems to be "just a guy" who won't hurt you but won't help much either. That said, WR is still a bigger need. Donnie Avery is holding down the WR2 opposite Bowe and, well, Donnie Avery is...Donnie Avery.

Then there is OT. I presume that Branden Albert will leave after this year and they will move Eric Fisher to LT. Unless Donald Stephenson develops, that will leave a void at RT.

derza222 09-10-2013 08:34 PM

I'm not sure how much sense that pick makes for the Jets. Obviously the offense is weak and given team needs a non pass rushing linebacker would be a bit disappointing.

Razor 09-11-2013 05:34 AM

I don't see the need for another DE right now tbqh. WR and DT are bigger needs IMO.

CJSchneider 09-11-2013 01:08 PM

I like the NO pick.

ChicagoBearsVet23 09-11-2013 02:28 PM

Our o-line is fine. We'd take Purifoy.

SickwithIt1010 09-11-2013 06:43 PM

Marqise Lee and the Eagles? I just came.

cmd34 09-11-2013 11:29 PM

Like the Cowboys pick.

Bengals78 09-12-2013 09:03 PM

Poz51 09-13-2013 11:31 AM

Solid pick for the Bills.

If Jacksonville and Arizona are that bad how do the pass on an elite level QB prospect? I get Clowney being a freakish athlete, but how could the Jags continue to sell Gabbert as the future if they are that bad? Again... Similarly in Arizona, how do they sell Palmer as either the future or even present? I do agree Levi Brown is not a very good player, but Palmer turns 34 this year, and Bridgewater could easily IMO replace him and his production, while being the future from which to build on.

RCAChainGang 09-13-2013 12:32 PM

It would be terrible to miss out on so many Olineman. WR is a good choice, but I think OL is our biggest problem.

Bob Sanders Dreadlock 09-13-2013 02:03 PM

Hate the colts pick. Watkins probably is the most talented with what is left but there are bigger concerns. We can get by with hilton/dhb/fleener/allen catching passes and Reggie still has a few more years in him if he wants. Such a huge run on o-lineman right before our pick. Would prefer Mack or McCullers.

xstamper13 09-13-2013 09:36 PM

LOVE the Raiders pick. Bridgewater is the franchise QB that we haven't had since Gannon went down.