Draft Countdown Forums

Draft Countdown Forums (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/index.php)
-   Pro Football (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=44)
-   -   Will Eli finish his career in a Giants' uni?? (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/showthread.php?t=57536)

FUNBUNCHER 10-10-2013 11:17 PM

Will Eli finish his career in a Giants' uni??

This is the first time I've ever thought there was a possibility Eli plays for another team in the not too distant future.
It's not all his fault the Giants are 0-6, but at the same time his level of play swings too wildly in the bad column for a guy with his NFL resume.

How much would a team have to trade for a QB who's on pace for 25-30 INTs this season, and also has two SB MVPs??

cgf (Rosebud) 10-10-2013 11:20 PM

I'd trade him to the Bills for Dareus, Woods, Kiko and Byrd if we secure Teddy. But much less than that and it'd be stupefyingly dumb.

Ness 10-10-2013 11:22 PM

If it starts to become a Rivers, Bulger, or Palmer situation where his skill of play just starts to fade and he just keeps on sucking regardless of the circumstances, I think he'll be gone in a couple of years not including this year. It's always about "what have you done for me lately" in the NFL. MVP Kurt Warner in 2001 was benched just two years later.

Mufasa 10-10-2013 11:56 PM

He'll play somewhere else before he's done. Take a look at the great to good QBs in the last decade or so that have left their main team.

Favre left Green Bay
Manning left Indianapolis
Warner had a few good years in Arizona, but he's a Ram
McNabb left Philly
McNair left Tennessee
Hasselbeck left Seattle
Trent Green left Kansas City
Jake Delhomme left Carolina
Jeff Garcia left San Francisco
Dante Culpepper left Minnesota
Drew Bledsoe left New England
Carson Palmer left Cincinnati
Michael Vick left Atlanta

These have had varying levels of success and every situation is different, but if all these guys can end their careers with a different team, I don't see Eli as any different.

I don't think I see it happening within the next two years, but at some point Eli will leave New York.

bigbuc 10-11-2013 01:33 AM

I said it on the other post. This is a team that made the playoffs once in the last four years. Eli has been turning the ball over a lot over the last few years. And he's being paid to play like a top 5 QB. I don't think they have a shot at Teddy. So I say Eli's still in NY.

If they have a shot a Teddy all bets are off.

Most likely tho they get a new head coach and coaching staff. The top 5 pick I see being Jake Matthews. I see them cutting all the vets that are making big money and aren't playing big. Rolle, Webster, Tuck, Snee, Diehi and Kiwi should all be on notice.

But this team has talent. Eli, Cruz, Nicks, Randle, Jpp, Dre Brown ( Hurt ), David Wilson, Linval Joseph and young talent that can grow in Justin Pugh, Johnathan Hankins and Damontre Moore. Add the top picks they'll get this years draft and this is a quicker turn around than people are thinking.

I say the biggest " NEEDS " for the GMen in order are

1. Rebuild that Oline. I could see them taking the best tackle in the draft.
2. Add talent to the LB Core. C.J. Mosley would look great in Blue.
3. Get some man to man CB's.

Caulibflower 10-11-2013 02:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FUNBUNCHER (Post 3469801)
How much would a team have to trade for a QB who's on pace for 25-30 INTs this season, and also has two SB MVPs??

Don't shortchange the guy, he's having an historical season. He's actually on pace for 40.

Which, shockingly, isn't the season record. George Blanda threw 42 picks in 14 games in 1962.

Basileus777 10-11-2013 05:44 AM

Finish his career there? Probably not, but that's quite a ways away. I don't think the Giants are going to move on from him after this season though.

BigBlueNorwegian 10-11-2013 06:30 AM

I answered the first option, but I really think he will finish his career somewhere else. But he will stay with the Giants for another 3-5 years before they move on.

Jvig43 10-11-2013 08:39 AM

Eazy Picks 10-11-2013 11:22 AM

I would be VERY surprised if he they got rid of him because of this year. He is still their franchise QB and is healthy and has plenty of good years in front of him, and this years mess is only partially his fault. They will rebuild around him.

That being said, its impossible to say if he will finish his career w/ the Giants. Look what hapenned to Peyton.

Eazy Picks 10-11-2013 11:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mufasa (Post 3469819)
He'll play somewhere else before he's done. Take a look at the great to good QBs in the last decade or so that have left their main team.

Favre left Green Bay
Manning left Indianapolis
Warner had a few good years in Arizona, but he's a Ram
McNabb left Philly
McNair left Tennessee
Hasselbeck left Seattle
Trent Green left Kansas City
Jake Delhomme left Carolina
Jeff Garcia left San Francisco
Dante Culpepper left Minnesota
Drew Bledsoe left New England
Carson Palmer left Cincinnati
Michael Vick left Atlanta

These have had varying levels of success and every situation is different, but if all these guys can end their careers with a different team, I don't see Eli as any different.

I don't think I see it happening within the next two years, but at some point Eli will leave New York.

yea exactly...but if youre gonna include Delhomme on this list, you can't call it a list of "good to great" qbs, you have to make it "terrible to great"

Babylon 10-11-2013 12:58 PM

So if they're in a position to draft Teddy then they're in a position to draft Clowney. I'd rather Eli Manning and Jadevon Clowney than Teddy Bridgewater and whatever you could get for Eli. Wouldn't even hesitate.

NY+Giants=NYG 10-11-2013 01:05 PM

He really is the most polarizing NFL player in a long time. You can go into any bar and bring him up as a ice breaker to start a conversation. This site is a good indicator because we have non giants fans here. I am starting to get convinced you start any conversation at a sports bar just bringing up Eli's name.

ChiFan24 10-11-2013 01:20 PM

This is kind of becoming a Rivers in San Diego situation. He's too good to let him go because you can still envision him winning a Super Bowl in the next 5 years or so; though at the same time you can clearly see some decline. If the Giants pick top 3, I think it's Clowney without a doubt.

San Diego Chicken 10-11-2013 02:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChiFan24 (Post 3470130)
This is kind of becoming a Rivers in San Diego situation. He's too good to let him go because you can still envision him winning a Super Bowl in the next 5 years or so; though at the same time you can clearly see some decline. If the Giants pick top 3, I think it's Clowney without a doubt.

I think a new scheme would do Eli good, just as it has helped Rivers. Especially with a shoddy OL. Norv and Gilbride are relics from the 80's and 90's. Their schemes are out of date. They can still work, but only with the correct personnel. But regardless, when your defense is in such bad shape, I don't care what scheme you're running, you aren't winning very much; same situation with SD now. Rivers has to play flawlessly to win. As does Eli.

It's an interesting case study of the 04 QB's. All 3 of them have 90-100 million dollar contracts, and all three have seen the teams around them erode, especially on the OL.

Borat 10-11-2013 02:48 PM

Trade:

NYG trades Eli Manning to San Diego for Philip Rivers, Larry English and Nick Novak.

Circle complete.

Mufasa 10-11-2013 03:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eazy Picks (Post 3470024)
yea exactly...but if youre gonna include Delhomme on this list, you can't call it a list of "good to great" qbs, you have to make it "terrible to great"

I was just naming every recent example that came to mind. Delhomme had a couple good years and took the Panthers to the Super Bowl, so he was worth a mention.

J-Mike88 10-11-2013 09:24 PM

I vote no.

Peyton didn't stay.
Favre didn't.
Montana didn't.
Warner didn't.
Even Brady Quinn didn't stick in Cleveland.

Job Reborn 10-11-2013 10:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eazy Picks (Post 3470024)

People always forget that Jake Delhomme was a good QB for a while, and was even lauded as one of the "clutch" QBs, one who would always elevate his play in the post-season. And then that debacle happened, and he was broken forever.

Job Reborn 10-11-2013 10:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NY+Giants=NYG (Post 3470115)
He really is the most polarizing NFL player in a long time.

I was about to bring up Tebow, but then I realized he's really never been a NFL player.

Eazy Picks 10-13-2013 10:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Job Reborn (Post 3470542)
People always forget that Jake Delhomme was a good QB for a while, and was even lauded as one of the "clutch" QBs, one who would always elevate his play in the post-season. And then that debacle happened, and he was broken forever.

lmao thats a load of crap. he had 1 good playoff run and then had an epic meltdown in every playoff game from then on. He was about as good as Colt McCoy. And he was a winning QB for a few years like Matt Cassell was a winning QB for a couple years. They won in Carolina b/c of defense, running game, and skill positions. He had Steve Smith and Moose and he still sucked.

Brodeur 10-13-2013 10:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eazy Picks (Post 3471856)
lmao thats a load of crap. he had 1 good playoff run and then had an epic meltdown in every playoff game from then on. He was about as good as Colt McCoy. And he was a winning QB for a few years like Matt Cassell was a winning QB for a couple years. They won in Carolina b/c of defense, running game, and skill positions. He had Steve Smith and Moose and he still sucked.

Umm, what? The Panthers had no running game with Delhomme at any point in time.

EDIT: Okay I forgot Stephen Davis, but they didn't exactly dominate. Delhomme was solid enough.

Ness 10-13-2013 10:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eazy Picks (Post 3471856)

The hell? When did he melt down against the Giants and Bears in the 2005 playoff run? Oh, he didn't.

Delhomme had a good career. Comparing him to Colt McCoy is ridiculous. That's like saying Mark Brunell was on par with Tony Banks. McCoy is never going to throw for nearly 30 touchdowns in a season, let alone over 20. It was evident how bad the Panthers needed Delhomme after he went down in 2007 and was replaced by the likes of Chris Weinke and Vinny Testaverde. 2008 was his last "decent" season. That playoff meltdown against Arizona is when the dam really broke for Jake.

Xonraider 10-13-2013 11:08 PM

Doubt it. Eventually his productivity will fall and the Giants will want to move on and another team will probably be wiling to give him a chance.

With that said, I don't really think he leaves based on this year. He has shown he can win the big one and the Giants would be foolish to give up on him just based off on one season.

cgf (Rosebud) 10-14-2013 12:05 AM

It all depends, if we draft Clowney use our cap space well and the rest of our draft picks to fix up the OL will adding some depth to the D we'll be back to contending for the next 4-6 years until Eli's ready to hang em up. Unless his game falls apart I doubt the Giants move on from him until he's ready to retire, just doesn't seem like the personalities of Eli, Reese or the Mara's to end it any other way as long as Eli is still capable of winning us SBs as our franchise QB. Personally I think Eli will get another ring and he'll move on gracefully soon thereafter.