Draft Countdown Forums

Draft Countdown Forums (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/index.php)
-   Pro Football (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=44)
-   -   NFL Random Discussion Thread (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/showthread.php?t=57547)

JordanTaber 10-12-2013 09:04 PM

NFL Random Discussion Thread

Always has been.

Of course, this will be seen as blasphemous, trolling, blah blah blah. I. Do not. Care.

It needs to be said.

What impresses me the most about Romo, aside from his quick release, air-tight spirals, and accuracy intermediate-to-deep, is that he is doing all of this with a complete imbecile calling the plays (Jason Garrett). He's never relied on the system. You can spread it out and he can carve you up, but he'll do it despite not being given all the outlets and bunch formations and route combinations that the likes of Brady benefit from.

I will never forget how much different the Cowboys' offense looked when he took over for Drew Bledsoe in 2006. It was night and day. All of a sudden, the ball was coming out of there with urgency, and it was a deep-to-short look.

Brady, on the other hand, was always a product of a system. I'll give him credit for having terrific pocket presence and command of said system. That's where it ends. The number of impressive throws he makes per season is embarrassingly low for a supposed "legend." The supposed "clutchness" is obviously a myth, given that the Patriots lost two Super Bowls to the Giants resulting in large part from his poor play.

Romo could easily do what Brady did/does. Stand back there and dump it off underneath out of the spread, throw screens and hitches, only with much better and safer route designs? He'd be bored out of his mind in that offense. His interception totals would fall off a cliff, given he wouldn't have to take the chances he does in the system he's in. I'm sure it's as boring to play in the New England offense as it is to watch it. It's like watching paint dry.

But Romo doesn't get to live a life of glory and boredom like that. Instead, he gets to play for a redheaded idiot, with a mediocre defense and idiots ready to jump down his throat at every turn whenever he makes a mistake. Oh well, at least he's not married to a hideous, anorexic ****.

bearsfan_51 10-12-2013 09:07 PM

Brodeur 10-12-2013 09:08 PM

vidae 10-12-2013 09:10 PM

The Alex 10-12-2013 09:12 PM

mqtirishfan 10-12-2013 09:12 PM

badgerbacker 10-12-2013 09:13 PM

So let me get this straight... Romo could be better, but has made the choice not to be because it is more interesting to make high risk throws that result in interceptions?

farfromforgotten 10-12-2013 09:18 PM

JordanTaber 10-12-2013 09:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by badgerbacker (Post 3470942)
So let me get this straight... Romo could be better, but has made the choice not to be because it is more interesting to make high risk throws that result in interceptions?

Excellent reading comprehension, dude. Way to go.

He didn't choose anything. Romo didn't hire Jason Garrett to scheme and call plays like it's 1991. Romo throws those higher risk passes because he has to...because the system that he's in doesn't give him easy completions all over the field on the majority of his dropbacks.

...Of course, since this is Patriot Fan Central, the land where Wes Welker is amazingggg and the Patriots are just like any other organization, only they win with GREAT PLAYERZZZZ, this thread's outcome was predictable.

The Alex 10-12-2013 09:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JordanTaber (Post 3470945)
Excellent reading comprehension, dude. Way to go.

He didn't choose anything. Romo didn't hire Jason Garrett to scheme and call plays like it's 1991. Romo throws those higher risk passes because he has to...because the system that he's in doesn't give him easy completions all over the field on the majority of his dropbacks.

...Of course, since this is Patriot Fan Central, the land where Wes Welker is amazingggg and the Patriots are just like any other organization, only they win with GREAT PLAYERZZZZ, this thread's outcome was predictable.

You know, I retract my reaction gifs. I did some research and you have a very strong point. Tom Brady is a product of a system. Just look at his career:

Throws 3 passes all season as he rides the bench.

Throws only 1 TD the entire playoffs as spying, defense and Adam Vinatieri carry him to a Super Bowl victory.

Throws for less yards than Kerry Collins in regular season as Patriots finish behind Dolphins and Jets in the AFC East to miss the playoffs.

Throws fewer TDs than Aaron Brooks in regular season; spying, defense and Adam Vinatieri carry him to another Super Bowl victory.

Throws fewer TDs than Jake Delhomme in regular season; spying, defense and Adam Vinatieri carry him to another Super Bowl victory.

Throw 2 INTs and gets outplayed by Jake Plummer as Patriots lose to Broncos in divisional round.

Throws 3 INTs with a 57.6 QB rating while barely getting by Chargers, implodes against the Colts in AFC Championship loss.

Throws 1 TD and gets outplayed by Eli Manning in the biggest choke in professional sports history, blowing immortality and a perfect season. "MVP" year.

Throws 11 passes before missing the entire rest of the year because he can't withstand a basic hit.

Throws 3 INTs at home with a 49.1 QB Rating in one & done elimination loss to the Ravens.

Throws INT after not throwing one since Week 5 and gets outplayed by Mark Sanchez in one & done elimination at home loss to Jets. "MVP" year.

Throws 2 INTs with a 57.5 QB Rating while barely getting by the Ravens, gets outplayed by Eli Manning in the Super Bowl... again.

Throws 2 INTs with a 62.3 QB Rating in AFC Championship loss to Ravens.

Career
7 playoff losses, as many as noted choke artist Donovan McNabb
Worse playoff winning percentage than Trent Dilfer, Jeff Hostetler, Mark Rypien, Joe Theisman and Eli Manning
Hasn't won a Super Bowl without spying, defense or Adam Vinatieri to bail him out

Breed 10-12-2013 09:49 PM

I was have been on the Romo bandwagon.

Job Reborn 10-12-2013 09:53 PM

Anyone else disappointed the thread didn't include "and more productive"?

nepg 10-12-2013 10:05 PM

jth1331 10-12-2013 10:29 PM

Omg Tony Romo Would Have Like 8 Super Bowl Trophies If He Was On The Pats Guyzzz

WCH 10-12-2013 11:28 PM

ViperVisor 10-13-2013 01:13 AM

I'm all for tearing down some of the myth around Brady but...

Romo having a Witten his whole career is glossed over.

A guy who has caught near 95% of what he can get his hands on.
And of the 90 catches per year he's grabbed.
50 are for 1st downs.

Also gets Terrell Owens for 2 years. The most or 2nd most productive WR of his generation.

Then Dez Bryant comes along who is pretty good.

2012 the team sucked at getting RBs to contribute.
But other than that 2007-present the Cowboys have been good in yards per carry.

WCH 10-13-2013 01:23 AM

I'm waiting for the "Why Mark Brunell was better than Brett Favre" post.

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Alex (Post 3470940)

I've just started re-watching The Next Generation on Netflix. I loved that show when I was a kid, and it holds up.

Saints-Tigers 10-13-2013 02:49 AM

Man.. This makes me sad. I really thought you were legit during the Barry Sanders thread, and the comment about Calvin not being the best WR right now. This is just too obvious. You had a good run of trolling, but once it becomes obvious that you are just dicking around, it is over :(

RIP to a quality troll. I didn't even know I was getting worked.

LonghornsLegend 10-13-2013 03:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saints-Tigers (Post 3471000)
Man.. This makes me sad. I really thought you were legit during the Barry Sanders thread, and the comment about Calvin not being the best WR right now. This is just too obvious. You had a good run of trolling, but once it becomes obvious that you are just dicking around, it is over :(

RIP to a quality troll. I didn't even know I was getting worked.

Yep. This thread isn't worth a real response.

JordanTaber 10-13-2013 03:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ViperVisor (Post 3470994)
I'm all for tearing down some of the myth around Brady but...

Romo having a Witten his whole career is glossed over.

A guy who has caught near 95% of what he can get his hands on.
And of the 90 catches per year he's grabbed.
50 are for 1st downs.

Also gets Terrell Owens for 2 years. The most or 2nd most productive WR of his generation.

Then Dez Bryant comes along who is pretty good.

2012 the team sucked at getting RBs to contribute.
But other than that 2007-present the Cowboys have been good in yards per carry.

Witten's a good player but he has nowhere near the impact of, say, Randy Moss.

Prior to the 2007 season, the entire argument for Brady as an all-time great hinged on "ringzzzz." Now, Brady has 1 more ring than Eli Manning and Ben Roethlisberger. He also has been an utter flop in the postseason ever since the 2004 season.

So now it all comes down to Brady's system-related numbers and how they compare to what Romo has done under Idiot Redhead. I am far more impressed with Romo as a quarterback when I watch him than Brady, and that's what I think all people would think if they used their eyes and stopped getting caught up in the hype.

As is often the case, people have it completely backwards with the two of them. So many people call Romo "overrated" that he's probably the most underrated player in the NFL right now. Meanwhile, Brady has emerged as one of the game's most overrated players. A top 10 current quarterback, sure. Top 5? Maybe, I'd have to think about it. Legendary? In the GOAT discussion? Not a chance. He isn't fit to shine Drew Brees's shoes.

ViperVisor 10-13-2013 04:24 AM

What I've come to believe is Peyton Manning is the best. Rodgers is 2nd.

Manning is Maddux. Mentally beyond the others.
Rodgers is Pedro. Nothing to brag about till 25yo. Top rate arm and arrogance.

Others are great but not this great. Sort them how you wish.

BallerT1215 10-13-2013 06:03 AM

I don't hate on Romo too much (I do think he is a big game choke artist despite the 4th Quarter stats) but WTF is this ?

DeadEagle 10-13-2013 07:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JordanTaber (Post 3471003)
He also has been an utter flop in the postseason ever since the 2004 season.

..... and Romo has been a flop in late season/postseason games his whole life.

I win.

Thread over.

Wootylicous 10-13-2013 07:49 AM

bigbluedefense 10-13-2013 10:13 AM

Bc he has better stats and more 4th quarter comebacks.

Am I doing it right?