Draft Countdown Forums

Draft Countdown Forums (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/index.php)
-   College Football (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=45)
-   -   BCS Standings (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/showthread.php?t=57601)

draftguru151 10-20-2013 07:38 PM

BCS Standings

First BCS standings.

1. Alabama
2. FSU
3. Oregon
4. Ohio State
5. Missouri
6. Stanford
7. Miami
8. Baylor
9. Clemson
10. Texas Tech

Complete rankings.

ncst8fan83 10-20-2013 07:42 PM

I wish the playoff started this year. Bama vs OSU and FSU vs The Fighting Nike's would be an awesome start.

MassNole 10-20-2013 08:46 PM

I'd say....

1. FSU
2. Oregon
3. Alabama

draftguru151 10-20-2013 08:59 PM

I am so shocked.

JRTPlaya21 10-20-2013 09:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MassNole (Post 3477458)
I'd say....

1. FSU
2. Oregon
3. Alabama

Lmaoooooooooooooooo

Bob Sanders Dreadlock 10-20-2013 09:44 PM

Stanford seriously that high? They must hate Baylor.

jrdrylie 10-20-2013 10:40 PM

UCF beat Louisville so of course they should be behind them. UCF killed Akron and beat Penn State. Michigan needed a goal line stand to beat Akron and lost to Penn State so of course Michigan should be ranked higher. The voters are so dumb.

jrdrylie 10-20-2013 10:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRTPlaya21 (Post 3477518)
Lmaoooooooooooooooo

FSU's destruction of Clemson is more impressive than anything Alabama has done.

Cigaro 10-20-2013 11:29 PM

MassNole's reasoning may be questionable, but that's exactly how I'd rank them at this point as well. The problem for FSU is other than Miami, both Oregon and Alabama have better schedules down the line to prove their worth. Oregon will certainly overtake FSU at some point in the next two weeks assuming both are still undefeated.

BallerT1215 10-20-2013 11:32 PM

Oregon is going to overtake us. FSU definitely needs a loss from Bama or Oregon.

jrdrylie 10-20-2013 11:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cigaro (Post 3477779)
MassNole's reasoning may be questionable, but that's exactly how I'd rank them at this point as well. The problem for FSU is other than Miami, both Oregon and Alabama have better schedules down the line to prove their worth. Oregon will certainly overtake FSU at some point in the next two weeks assuming both are still undefeated.

Alabama has Tennessee, LSU, Mississippi State, Chattanooga, and Auburn. FSU has NC State, Miami, Wake Forest, Syracuse, & Florida.

Idaho > Chattanooga
Florida > Tennessee
Miami = LSU
NC State = Mississippi State
Syracuse < Auburn

I'm not really seeing a tough schedule for Alabama. And playing Miami a second time in the ACC Championship is a tougher game than Missouri. But there is no way an undefeated Alabama is left out of the title game. Oregon's schedule is better though. So FSU's only hope is one of them losing or just killing every team they play the rest of the way.

niel89 10-20-2013 11:43 PM

FSU and Oregon are really close in the numbers. As others said Oregon will pull ahead if they win out with their schedule.

Cigaro 10-21-2013 12:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jrdrylie (Post 3477794)
Alabama has Tennessee, LSU, Mississippi State, Chattanooga, and Auburn. FSU has NC State, Miami, Wake Forest, Syracuse, & Florida.

Idaho > Chattanooga
Florida > Tennessee
Miami = LSU
NC State = Mississippi State
Syracuse < Auburn

I'm not really seeing a tough schedule for Alabama. And playing Miami a second time in the ACC Championship is a tougher game than Missouri. But there is no way an undefeated Alabama is left out of the title game. Oregon's schedule is better though. So FSU's only hope is one of them losing or just killing every team they play the rest of the way.

I'm looking at it from the polling perspective. FSU just has Miami, probably twice. The first win will look twice, but it will weaken the benefit of the second one as it will knock Miami down the polls. Alabama will take on LSU and Auburn, both who will probably be ranked around where they are now (Auburn may drop a little). Whoever wins the East will be pretty highly ranked as well.

When it comes using key wins to jump up/keep their spot in the rankings, Alabama has the clear advantage over FSU, as does Oregon.

Jcn92 10-21-2013 12:27 AM

I don't think Oregon will necessarily jump FSU. If both teams win out I think that FSU's opponent in the ACC championship will be better than Oregon's. Not to mention I think the voters are going to start clinging to the FSU narrative if they keep on putting up the points they have been and Winston plays like he did last night. An FSU romp over Virginia Tech or Miami in the ACC Title game is better than a Oregon win over UCLA or Arizona State. Not to mention most of the voters will probably be lazy and not even watch the Pac 12 game because it'll be on too late.

Cigaro 10-21-2013 12:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jcn92 (Post 3477842)
I don't think Oregon will necessarily jump FSU. If both teams win out I think that FSU's opponent in the ACC championship will be better than Oregon's. Not to mention I think the voters are going to start clinging to the FSU narrative if they keep on putting up the points they have been and Winston plays like he did last night. An FSU romp over Virginia Tech or Miami in the ACC Title game is better than a Oregon win over UCLA or Arizona State. Not to mention most of the voters will probably be lazy and not even watch the Pac 12 game because it'll be on too late.

Oregon is playing #12 UCLA this week, #6 Stanford next week. They will certainly overtake FSU.

JeffSamardzijaIRISH 10-21-2013 01:20 AM

FSU >>> Bama. That is all.

FUNBUNCHER 10-21-2013 07:57 AM

Baylor should be ranked ahead of Miami, Stanford and Mizzou at this point.

If OSU, FSU, Oregon, Baylor and Alabama all end up undefeated, the NC game will kinda not be credible IMO without a playoff.

MassNole 10-21-2013 10:21 AM

What has Alabama done to this point to be ranked ahead of FSU or Oregon?

draftguru151 10-21-2013 10:31 AM

Win the last 2 national championships and whether you think that should matter or not doesn't matter because unless Alabama loses they're going to be in the NC game this year.

MassNole 10-21-2013 11:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by draftguru151 (Post 3478003)
Win the last 2 national championships and whether you think that should matter or not doesn't matter because unless Alabama loses they're going to be in the NC game this year.

So the answer is absolutely nothing but the faux belief the SEC is perfect.

Trogdor 10-21-2013 11:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MassNole (Post 3478032)
So the answer is absolutely nothing but the faux belief the SEC is perfect.

Preseason rankings have always been VERY powerful for the top teams. If you win the NC and then win all your games the following year it's hard to bump you from the standings.

Playoffs can't come soon enough. The noise is going to be deafening if FSU, Baylor, Oregon, and Alabama all finish unblemished.

An even worse scenario is above going into the conference championship games and then Missouri beats 'Bama and gets left out OR gets in. Just a terrible last year lining up for the NCAA barring only two undefeated's remaining.

JoeJoeBrown 10-21-2013 11:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FUNBUNCHER (Post 3477887)
Baylor should be ranked ahead of Miami, Stanford and Mizzou at this point.

If OSU, FSU, Oregon, Baylor and Alabama all end up undefeated, the NC game will kinda not be credible IMO without a playoff.

Agree with this, but history shows us only one season where an undefeated power conference team was left out (Auburn) and another season where an upper tier non BCS team (Utah) went undefeated.

In my opinion the order of likelihood of losing from most likely to least is: Texas Tech, Mizzou, OSU, Miami, Baylor, FSU, Bama, Oregon.

I bet we see three BCS teams undefeated at the end of the season and it will be two of the power three (FSU, Bama, Oregon) and another one.

MassNole 10-21-2013 12:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JoeJoeBrown (Post 3478076)
Agree with this, but history shows us only one season where an undefeated power conference team was left out (Auburn) and another season where an upper tier non BCS team (Utah) went undefeated.

In my opinion the order of likelihood of losing from most likely to least is: Texas Tech, Mizzou, OSU, Miami, Baylor, FSU, Bama, Oregon.

I bet we see three BCS teams undefeated at the end of the season and it will be two of the power three (FSU, Bama, Oregon) and another one.

To go undefeated Missouri has to beat South Carolina and Texas A&M at home and Ole Miss on the road. I am shocked they beat Georgia and mildly surprised they beat Florida (shocked they scored 36 points though). They certainly could win out, but I'll be surprised if they don't go 1-2 in those 3 games and Tennessee can certainly give them a game if not beat them.

Texas Tech now faces the 5 best teams in the Big 12 in consecutive weeks, I wouldn't shocked to see them lose all 5, at best I think they finish 9-3.

Ohio State has to get by Penn State and Michigan to go undefeated, not a real tall order this season.

Miami likely gets FSU twice between now the end of the season. The key are the new coordinators and at this point Jeremy Pruitt is well ahead of James Coley in that regard, I don't really think Miami will do much to slow down FSU's offense so the onus is on Coley to score a lot and after what we just saw them to do Clemson that may not be possible. I think Miami's best chance to win is in Tallahassee rather than the ACCCG. They also get a bipolar VaTech team. Defensively VT really shut down Alabama's offense and if it's one of those games where things click for Logan Thomas it could equal a win for he Hokies. I see Miami losing 2 games maybe 3 (if they lose to VT but end up in the ACCCG).

Baylor's offense is disgusting on paper but when looking at the teams they've played I don't see a single defense worth a damn other than Kansas State, who held them to half of their season average. Texas, TCU, and Oklahoma could all win against them with a great defensive effort. I think Oklahoma State can score with them and might be able to win a battle of the retards on defense. I think they go 11-1 or 10-2.

If not for last season I would be worried about N.C. State being the perfect trap game for FSU, but because of that this team will be focused. The best chances for losses are vs. Miami and at Florida. Florida probably has the only defense capable of slowing FSU down on offense, but if they go blitz heavy with Winston they'll pay for it and their offense will be hard pressed to to do much vs. this aggressive defense. I don't see Wake Forest or Syracuse being able to put up much of a fight for more than a 15-20 minutes of game time, and with the 2011 loss at Wake I think like NC State they won't overlook that game. As for Idaho, nice game for Jacob Coker to have a half of film for teams to look at when he transfers, they should be at worst 12-1.

Oregon's offense usually sputters out once per season and in UCLA (potentially twice) and Stanford I think it is likely to happen at least once. I don't see it doing as bad as last year vs. Stanford, so the question becomes can UCLA or Stanford put up the 30+ points they need to win vs. Oregon's defense. They should go undefeated but like FSU, they always lose a game they shouldn't.

Alabama faces 3 teams who could beat them in LSU, Auburn, and Tennessee (in rapidly descending order) then either Mizzou, USC, or Georgia in the SEC CG, of which only USC has a chance. For as much as LSU's offense as improved their defense has regressed. They should be able to score on Alabama but the question is how many stops can their defense get. Auburn has showed it can score some points, but can they score points against an elite defense? Tennessee has improved rapidly from their loss against Oregon, beating USC and nearly beating Georgia. I don't see much chance they beat Alabama, but they certainly have a better chance than MSU or FCS.

So of them I'd say Ohio State has the best chance to go undefeated, followed by Florida State, Oregon, and Alabama. That said I could see a scenario where if say FSU or Oregon and OSU are undefeated and Alabama has one loss that they could sneak into the BCS CG over the undefeated Buckeyes because of that schedule.

Jcn92 10-21-2013 03:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cigaro (Post 3477849)
Oregon is playing #12 UCLA this week, #6 Stanford next week. They will certainly overtake FSU.

You can't say it's certain. If FSU rolls NC State by double digits and Oregon has an unimpressive win against UCLA at home I could see FSU staying number one. Even if they beat Stanford I could see them staying at number three because that win wouldn't be as impressive as people once thought it would be, Stanford has a loss and barely beat UCLA at home.

Even if Oregon does jump them during the regular season I think FSU has a very good chance to take back the number two spot because an FSU win against Va Tech or Miami in the ACC championship would be more impressive than an Oregon win against Arizona State or UCLA in the Pac 12 championship.

draftguru151 10-21-2013 03:15 PM

Unless FSU jumps Oregon in the human polls after Oregon beats UCLA and FSU beats NC State (which won't even remotely happen), Oregon will almost definitely jump into #2 with the computers bumping them up. Forgot who said it, but some BCS guy on the show last night said if Oregon was 1 spot higher in any of the computer polls, they'd be #2. If Oregon struggles with UCLA and Stanford (they're #6, so that's obviously still an impressive win), FSU might jump them in the human polls.

But seriously, all these teams have at least 5 games and a conference championship game left, the chances of more than 2 of them being undefeated is insanely small.