Draft Countdown Forums

Draft Countdown Forums (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/index.php)
-   2014 NFL Draft Forum (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=47)
-   -   Mock Draft 2.0 - 10/26/13 (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/showthread.php?t=57630)

Scott Wright 10-25-2013 09:44 PM

Mock Draft 2.0 - 10/26/13

Just posted the second mock draft of the year!

As always constructive criticism is not only welcomed but encouraged.

However, please have the courtesy to explain the reasoning behind your opinions.

Let's do our best to keep this thread fun and informative! Now... FIRE AWAY! :)

Matthew Jones 10-25-2013 10:22 PM

Nauseating Patriots pick but pretty solid mock overall!

coordinator0 10-25-2013 10:26 PM

Mike Evans is a good pick for the Ravens. He's exactly the type of receiver they need and Flacco has never had. Boldin is in sort of the same mold but Evans has quite a bit more reach and there's no way he's slower. That pick would round out their receiver group really well.

For what it's worth I'm not worried about Monroe not getting a new deal. Offensive line could and probably will still be a big need though. Especially center. With Oher being a free agent I wouldn't be surprised to see them take a tackle in the first round either even if/when Monroe gets a new deal.

Scott Wright 10-25-2013 10:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Matthew Jones (Post 3481466)
Nauseating Patriots pick but pretty solid mock overall!

Jace Amaro? No Good?

What direction do you think the Pats would go?

Matthew Jones 10-25-2013 10:41 PM

Maybe a defensive tackle to eventually replace either Tommy Kelly or Wilfork, a strong safety depending on how the team feels about Duron Harmon's long term prospects, or an interior offensive lineman. I think the team is pretty comfortable with the transition to "11" personnel, getting Ridley or Vereen in at RB, Gronkowski at TE, and three of Amendola/Dobson/Edelman/Thompkins at WR. A "move" tight end would make sense at some point, but I see Amaro as more of an inline guy and not a particularly good value. Is it really a major upgrade to the team to draft him if it means taking a Dobson or Edelman off the field and leaving other positions undermanned? Guys like Ryan Wendell and Dan Connolly have played poorly enough this season to seriously consider drafting a lineman, and I think everyone knows older guys like Kelly and Steve Gregory aren't really long-term solutions on defense.

Cigaro 10-25-2013 11:36 PM

Marqise Lee is the first would work with Watkins and Evans gone, but no offense, suggesting we should consider taking an outside linebacker in the first is just bad.

Jcn92 10-25-2013 11:47 PM

I agree with Matt. I wasn't a fan of the Amaro pick. Like he said a DT would be one of my preferences, especially with Wilfork going down this year and Tommy Kelly not being a long term solution. I might even prefer Purifoy or Richardson who you had go a few picks after. Like he said the interior of the Patriots line has been struggling and Richardson's presence would be beneficial to the Patriots.

Also the fact that Amaro is a junior makes it highly unikely for Belichick to spend a first round pick on him, he hasn't taken a guy without at least four years of college ball since 2006 when he picked Maroney. One guy who I think would be a good pick is Jordan Matthews. He fits a need at WR and is one of the best in the draft and he's a senior and a captain which is something that Belichick looks for in his draft picks. I could see Matthews being the smart but also talented WR who is able to impress Belichick enough to get him to spend a first round pick on a WR.

wicket 10-26-2013 01:49 AM

Would be quite bummed if the saints went with DAT, he is sort of a 1 on 1 replacement for sproles, a player that doesnt need replacing. Tavon Austin was a base receiver which is why the saints could use him. At DAT position the saints even have the long term replacement ready with Travaris Cadet.

with this board id say kyle van noy

TonyGfortheTD 10-26-2013 02:06 AM

There seems to be a mistake with this mock Scott, I don't see the Chiefs anywhere in the top 5. lol

I am curious on why you slotted Mettenberger to the Chiefs. I'm not arguing that they could use an upgrade from Alex Smith at all, just interested on your thoughts on why he'd be the best choice for Andy Reid's offense.

Personally I think McCarron is the best fit.

Big_Pete 10-26-2013 02:41 AM

I like the fit of Anthony Barr for the Giants, I think he is an ideal fit in a Von Miller kind of role.

Many people would prefer Jake Matthews in that situation, but I think the Giants Online is solid at Tackle with Pugh and Beatty and the upgrades are likely to be needed inside.

I also don't see an urgent need at DE with JPP and Moore the likely future and wouldn't be surprised if Tuck returned at a cheaper contract.

BigBanger 10-26-2013 05:21 AM

Has someone given Stephon Tuitt a GPS yet? Because that guy couldn't find the QB to save his life. I don't care how big or long he is. He plays slow and high and has horrible footwork. Doesn't make tackles in the backfield when he does beat someone. He looked like a developmental guy to me, because I don't see any pass rushing instincts. And now he's getting off to a slow start in what might be his last year in college? I haven't watched him this year - he's never really given me a reason to - but he looked pretty mediocre last year. I remember laughing at him when someone else on the Notre Dame defense would get a sack. Every time someone else got a sack Tuitt was still playing patty cake at the line of scrimmage. He was also nonexistent against Alabama - DJ Fluker looked really good against him. And he gets neutralized by running backs and tight ends. I think sticking him in the Top 10 is nothing more than profile scouting. His tape is going to turn people off unless he does a 180 down the stretch.

Sub in Eric Ebron @ 8 overall and I think you're talking much better value. I see the best TE prospect since Vernon Davis. He's such a fluid athlete and he looks great flexed out wide and as an in-line player, which I think is rare. It's usually one or the other. I think he's going to be in the Top 10 mix - I know, also rare, but I think he's that good. I like Ebron as much as any receiving threat in this upcoming draft.

You also said Kouandjio could be better than Warmack and Fluker. I don't think that's true. Unless you are putting greater importance on his position. His pass protection is a bigger area of concern than Fluker's was - Fluker did have slow feet, but he made up for it with his length and punch, which was exceptional. It allowed him to recover and he could be more imposing. Kouandjio is a little soft in pass protection, gives up inside moves too easily and his technique is inconsistent / poor. I don't know if he has short arms or if he just doesn't use his hands well, but he gets jacked up a lot. He's more of late first or early second rounder. But I don't doubt that Kouandjio gets pushed up because of his position. LTs don't grown on trees and he has a lot of potential.

rawdawg 10-26-2013 07:36 AM

The Bears haven't picked a CB in the first round since 1996 (Walt Harris, yuck). 2 drafts = 2 first round picks spent on the lines. With the DL getting no pressure on the QB, Melton and Collins injured and not under contract for next year, and Peppers a likely cap casualty (Wootton is also a FA)....I'd imagine the Bears going DL early, maybe even twice.

rawdawg 10-26-2013 07:46 AM

? Odd post. Tuitt led ND with 11 sacks last year. Someone else getting a sack probably meant he did his job and freed him up. Hes coming off a dominant game vs USC with 7 tackles and 2 sacks. He is slowly rounding into form after putting on weight this offseason after hernia surgery. Not saying he's a top ten pick, but your evaluation og him isn't super accurate.

princefielder28 10-26-2013 07:50 AM

Great choice for Green Bay

Mufasa 10-26-2013 08:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rawdawg (Post 3481518)
The Bears haven't picked a CB in the first round since 1996 (Walt Harris, yuck). 2 drafts = 2 first round picks spent on the lines. With the DL getting no pressure on the QB, Melton and Collins injured and not under contract for next year, and Peppers a likely cap casualty (Wootton is also a FA)....I'd imagine the Bears going DL early, maybe even twice.

That is such an irrelevant piece of information

fredder 10-26-2013 09:30 AM

One thing that doesn't make sense is that you have KC picking 32nd, which implies they won the superbowl, but you still have them going QB under the assumption that Alex Smith hadn't proven himself. I'm not sure I follow.

RaiderNation 10-26-2013 10:12 AM

Love the Raiders pick, Watkins would finally give us a legit threat outside at WR

Babylon 10-26-2013 11:38 AM

I think Marcus Mariota is about 3 spots too low.

I'd expect with Mariota the Vikings would be next year's version of the Kansas City Chiefs.

fredder 10-26-2013 11:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Babylon (Post 3481556)
I think Marcus Mariota is about 3 spots too low.

I'd expect with Mariota the Vikings would be next year's version of the Kansas City Chiefs.

You really have him rated above Bridgewater at this point?

Scott Wright 10-26-2013 02:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Matthew Jones (Post 3481472)
Maybe a defensive tackle to eventually replace either Tommy Kelly or Wilfork, a strong safety depending on how the team feels about Duron Harmon's long term prospects, or an interior offensive lineman. I think the team is pretty comfortable with the transition to "11" personnel, getting Ridley or Vereen in at RB, Gronkowski at TE, and three of Amendola/Dobson/Edelman/Thompkins at WR. A "move" tight end would make sense at some point, but I see Amaro as more of an inline guy and not a particularly good value. Is it really a major upgrade to the team to draft him if it means taking a Dobson or Edelman off the field and leaving other positions undermanned? Guys like Ryan Wendell and Dan Connolly have played poorly enough this season to seriously consider drafting a lineman, and I think everyone knows older guys like Kelly and Steve Gregory aren't really long-term solutions on defense.

Gotta disagree about Amaro being an inline guy.

He's more of a wide receiver / tight end hybrid who can line up, inline, in the slot, out wide, etc. Would be a perfect compliment to Rob Gronkowski and give the Pats what they lost with Aaron Hernandez. Definitely agree that they have other needs as well, namely defensive tackle, but I thought Amaro was the better fit at that point considering who was still on the board.

Scott Wright 10-26-2013 02:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cigaro (Post 3481486)
Suggesting we (Panthers) should consider taking an outside linebacker in the first is just bad.

Really? Are the Panthers starting linebackers in three years other than Luke Kuechly on the roster right now? Because I sure don't see it. I absolutely think Carolina will be bringing in one and probably two new outside linebackers sooner rather than later.

Matthew Jones 10-26-2013 02:18 PM

I think in this case there's a discrepancy between where Amaro lines up in college, and where will ultimately line up in the pros. At Texas Tech, he's in the slot often, but usually just ends up blocking or running a short curl or screen. This isn't really someone with the overwhelming athleticism or route versatility of a guy like Hernandez.

Scott Wright 10-26-2013 02:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TonyGfortheTD (Post 3481509)
There seems to be a mistake with this mock Scott, I don't see the Chiefs anywhere in the top 5. lol

I am curious on why you slotted Mettenberger to the Chiefs. I'm not arguing that they could use an upgrade from Alex Smith at all, just interested on your thoughts on why he'd be the best choice for Andy Reid's offense.

Personally I think McCarron is the best fit.

I honestly didn't factor Mettenberger's scheme fit into the equation that heavily with the Chiefs pick. When I decided to give them a quarterback I went with Mettenberger over Carr, McCarron and Boyd because he has the most buzz and best chance to be chosen in Round 1 at this point.

Scott Wright 10-26-2013 02:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigBanger (Post 3481514)
Has someone given Stephon Tuitt a GPS yet? Because that guy couldn't find the QB to save his life. I don't care how big or long he is. He plays slow and high and has horrible footwork. Doesn't make tackles in the backfield when he does beat someone. He looked like a developmental guy to me, because I don't see any pass rushing instincts. And now he's getting off to a slow start in what might be his last year in college? I haven't watched him this year - he's never really given me a reason to - but he looked pretty mediocre last year. I remember laughing at him when someone else on the Notre Dame defense would get a sack. Every time someone else got a sack Tuitt was still playing patty cake at the line of scrimmage. He was also nonexistent against Alabama - DJ Fluker looked really good against him. And he gets neutralized by running backs and tight ends. I think sticking him in the Top 10 is nothing more than profile scouting. His tape is going to turn people off unless he does a 180 down the stretch.

Sub in Eric Ebron @ 8 overall and I think you're talking much better value. I see the best TE prospect since Vernon Davis. He's such a fluid athlete and he looks great flexed out wide and as an in-line player, which I think is rare. It's usually one or the other. I think he's going to be in the Top 10 mix - I know, also rare, but I think he's that good. I like Ebron as much as any receiving threat in this upcoming draft.

You also said Kouandjio could be better than Warmack and Fluker. I don't think that's true. Unless you are putting greater importance on his position. His pass protection is a bigger area of concern than Fluker's was - Fluker did have slow feet, but he made up for it with his length and punch, which was exceptional. It allowed him to recover and he could be more imposing. Kouandjio is a little soft in pass protection, gives up inside moves too easily and his technique is inconsistent / poor. I don't know if he has short arms or if he just doesn't use his hands well, but he gets jacked up a lot. He's more of late first or early second rounder. But I don't doubt that Kouandjio gets pushed up because of his position. LTs don't grown on trees and he has a lot of potential.

Have you checked out Tuitt lately? He was playing with a painful injury the second half of last year (and against Alabama) that required offseason surgery, which also contributed to his slow start. With that said he has come on like gangbusters the past few weeks and was downright dominant against USC. I tend to agree that the Top 10 overall might be a little rich but I think he's the clear-cut second draft-eligible defensive end after Jadeveon Clowney and then there is another STEEP drop-off so he may get pushed up the board a bit.

It's going to be interesting to see how early Ebron comes off the board but I've heard he is probably going to come out and is the front-runner to be the first guy off the board at the position. I don't think the top half of round one is beyond the realm of possibility.

As for Kouandjio, I did indeed factor positional value into the equation with that statements and I think you almost have to. I don't know if he'll go earlier than Warmack and / or Fluker did because this is a much stronger draft at the top but I bet the Chargers would trade Fluker for Kouandjio and not think twice about it.

By the way, thanks for keeping my Reggie Bush quote alive! Now a multiple-time 1,000+ yard rusher who has been a key cog in some of the most explosive offenses in recent memory. :o)

Scott Wright 10-26-2013 02:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rawdawg (Post 3481518)

So you're saying they are due... I could see defensive line as well but at some point in the near future the Bears need to bring in a top-level, starting-caliber young cornerback.