Draft Countdown Forums

Draft Countdown Forums (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/index.php)
-   Pro Football (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=44)
-   -   2013 NFL Wild Card Weekend Discussion Thread (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/showthread.php?t=58045)

Ness 12-30-2013 01:35 AM

2013 NFL Wild Card Weekend Discussion Thread

Saturday, January 4th

Kansas City Chiefs at Indianapolis Colts 4:35 PM EST

New Orleans Saints at Philadelphia Eagles 8:15 PM EST

Sunday, January 5th

San Diego Chargers at Cincinnati Bengals 1:05 PM EST

San Francisco 49ers at Green Bay Packers 4:40 PM EST

Sportsfan486 12-30-2013 04:33 AM

Some very entertaining games on tap!

The 49ers - Packers one obviously stands out to me but all four should be great to watch.

I favor the Saints, Packers, Bengals and Chiefs to move on.

I'm actually really hopeful that two of these wild card teams make it to the Super bowl to shake up the expected Seattle - Denver matchup. I'm not a fan of the hype machine being validated and those two have been built up to crazy proportions.

CJSchneider 12-30-2013 08:10 AM

The Saints "get off the Schneid" and finally win one on the road.

Gribble 12-30-2013 08:22 AM

NFC games are fantastic.

Splat 12-30-2013 08:51 AM

Sunday, January 5th

FUNBUNCHER 12-30-2013 08:57 AM

All the visiting teams win.

49erNation85 12-30-2013 09:31 AM

ya packers ain't winning. 9ers going to win might be close...

I for one can't wait till Sunday whop whop . But gonna a fun time .. Finally going to see a live NFL game!!!

vidae 12-30-2013 10:01 AM

I like that the Chiefs starters basically got a bye, but I'm still worried about the game against the Colts. The Chiefs have been an excellent road team this year, but I dunno. I would love to at least win a playoff game. Meh. Nervous as hell.

CC.SD 12-30-2013 10:49 AM

well I can say for certain that I did not expect to be posting in this thread much. House money y'all! Cheers to a game plan heavily tilted towards ball control, it's our only hope.

OSUGiants17 12-30-2013 11:10 AM

Sunday, January 5th

San Diego Chicken 12-30-2013 11:17 AM

Gonna go back and watch the first SD/CIN game again. Their OL steamrolled SD's DL in the run game. Fluker had to start at LT and he surrendered a ton of pressure. The good news is Dunlap should alleviate much of that this time around. Also the three fumbles lost were key - two in the scoring area. Cincinnatti is a very good home team but Rivers seems more dialed in on the road. It's gonna be a great game, wish it wasn't the early game Sunday but I'll take anything.

Bert Macklin 12-30-2013 11:21 AM

The Saints don't lose many prime time games.

Sunday, January 5th

CC.SD 12-30-2013 11:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by San Diego Chicken (Post 3530849)
Gonna go back and watch the first SD/CIN game again. Their OL steamrolled SD's DL in the run game. Fluker had to start at LT and he surrendered a ton of pressure. The good news is Dunlap should alleviate much of that this time around. Also the three fumbles lost were key - two in the scoring area. Cincinnatti is a very good home team but Rivers seems more dialed in on the road. It's gonna be a great game, wish it wasn't the early game Sunday but I'll take anything.

We definitely deserved to lose the first Cincy game but the turnovers were so painful and basically defined the game. Gates was directly responsible for 2 fumbles; he has 3 total fumbles since 2008, including the 2 from that game. I also like having Lissemore in at the NT vs. Cam Thomas, he is more interested in taking up blockers to free up the D, vs. Cam's upfield mentality. Every little bit helps when the other team wants to pound the rock.

Jomoz 12-30-2013 11:53 AM

- The Chiefs will show off their early-season form and harass Luck all day behind that poor OL. Chiefs with a comfortable win.

- The narrative says that the Saints can't win outdoors in bad weather but this reminds me of the 2002 Tampa Bay Bucs going into Veterans Stadium and winning. Saints win in a close game.

- Looks like the Chargers will roll Cincy to begin their Super Bowl run. Could be close, but this could be a weird game where Phillip Rivers just goes OFF against a good defense.

- I like the 49ers in a close game. The Packers defense just doesn't have enough to pull it out, even if Rodgers puts up 3+ TDs.

Iamcanadian 12-30-2013 12:00 PM

Sunday, January 5th

I like the home teams and feel that SF is the only threat to beat my choices. Just don't know if they will be OK in the cold. GB's OL will also have fits against SF's defense, so I could be really off on picking them.

Luck is simply a better QB than Smith and playing at home in the Dome will benefit him greatly.

Kelly should be COY IMO, I wouldn't have given Philly a chance to make the playoffs at the beginning of the season, I was dead wrong on Kelly as a HC. Saints simply don't play well away from home and the cold weather will likely bother them considerably.

Not sold completely on Cincy's QB but they are unbeaten at home this season, so you'd have to be crazy to pick against them.

49ersfan_87 12-30-2013 01:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jomoz (Post 3530900)
- The Chiefs will show off their early-season form and harass Luck all day behind that poor OL. Chiefs with a comfortable win.

- The narrative says that the Saints can't win outdoors in bad weather but this reminds me of the 2002 Tampa Bay Bucs going into Veterans Stadium and winning. Saints win in a close game.

- Looks like the Chargers will roll Cincy to begin their Super Bowl run. Could be close, but this could be a weird game where Phillip Rivers just goes OFF against a good defense.

- I like the 49ers in a close game. The Packers defense just doesn't have enough to pull it out, even if Rodgers puts up 3+ TDs.

All 4 road teams winning? Interesting. Although if i had to bet money on a winner, i would pick the same teams. With the biggest wildcard being Chiefs/Colts. Indy has beaten Denver, KC, San Fran, and Seattle. Thats an impressive list of wins.

Saints-Tigers 12-30-2013 01:30 PM

The Saints can't win on the road. Stop giving us all this credit and blaming weather, lol.

Babylon 12-30-2013 01:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CJSchneider (Post 3530631)
The Saints "get off the Schneid" and finally win one on the road.

I agree. Saw some nerves start to set in with Foles last night so a pass rush is key. Win and come to Seattle. We're gracious hosts.

NOLAFan 12-30-2013 02:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Babylon (Post 3531033)
I agree. Saw some nerves start to set in with Foles last night so a pass rush is key. Win and come to Seattle. We're gracious hosts.

As much as I'd like to see the Saints win in Philly going back to Seattle is going to be an absolute nightmare if the Saints make it there again. Payton is too predictable with his playcalling down and refuses to set up the run. If the Saints beat Philly, which I don't see happening due to the environment and it being a road game, the Seahawks are gonna beat 7 kinds of **** out of them the next week.

Bengalsrocket 12-30-2013 03:38 PM

I think Cincinnati is the most inconsistent team in the play offs, so I'm a little worried about the Chargers. I'm not expecting them to lose, but I could see it if Rivers out plays our defense and Dalton throws in another trash performance.

Sportsfan486 12-30-2013 03:51 PM

I think the key for the NFC is going to be whether the Packers get up against the Hawks. I think they're the only team in the NFC that can down them. Why? Rodgers. You need a proven vet QB to win in Seattle. He had the Packers in position to win there last year.

Brees is that, also, but he is unnerved by physical defenses and the Hawks destroyed them already.

Keep sucks at Seattle. Foles and Newton going into Seattle to won the NFC Championship game? Yeah, okay, never going to happen.

MidwestJimmy 12-30-2013 03:53 PM

I can't believe so many here are picking the Saints. Not only is it in the East, it's at night (making it even colder).

Quote:

I'm not a fan of the hype machine being validated and those two have been built up to crazy proportions.
I don't mind the hype machine if they turn out to be right. But it would be fun to watch them backtrack with their tail between their legs if either Denver or Seattle doesn't make it to New Jersey. If it is DEN-SEA, Chris Berman will empty the vault and show plenty of old footage from when they played each other as AFC West opponents (John Elway and the Broncos in turquoise helmets vs Jim Zorn and Steve Largent in silver helmets).

njx9 12-30-2013 03:54 PM

i don't think you know what color turquoise is.

MidwestJimmy 12-30-2013 04:01 PM

Quote:

Isn't it the Panthers alternate jersey color? It's too bad the No Fun League won't let them wear them in Round 2 of the playoffs.

It's a little premature, but here is the (obviously) partial Round 2 schedule:

Road Team at Seattle: Saturday Jan 11, 4:30 E
Road Team at New England: Saturday Jan 11, 8:00 E

Road Team at Carolina: Sunday Jan 12, 1:00 E
Road Team at Denver: Sunday Jan 12, 4:30 E

jth1331 12-30-2013 04:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MidwestJimmy (Post 3531186)
I can't believe so many here are picking the Saints. Not only is it in the East, it's at night (making it even colder).

I don't mind the hype machine if they turn out to be right. But it would be fun to watch them backtrack with their tail between their legs if either Denver or Seattle doesn't make it to New Jersey. If it is DEN-SEA, Chris Berman will empty the vault and show plenty of old footage from when they played each other as AFC West opponents (John Elway and the Broncos in turquoise helmets vs Jim Zorn and Steve Largent in silver helmets).

In what universe do you remember seeing the Broncos play in "turquoise" helmets?????

Quote:

Originally Posted by njx9 (Post 3531190)

^THIS

Quote:

Originally Posted by MidwestJimmy (Post 3531199)
Isn't it the Panthers alternate jersey color? It's too bad the No Fun League won't let them wear them in Round 2 of the playoffs.

It's a little premature, but here is the (obviously) partial Round 2 schedule:

Road Team at Seattle: Saturday Jan 11, 4:30 E
Road Team at New England: Saturday Jan 11, 8:00 E

Road Team at Carolina: Sunday Jan 12, 1:00 E
Road Team at Denver: Sunday Jan 12, 4:30 E

Anyways, I'm glad Denver's got the Sunday game this time.