Draft Countdown Forums

Draft Countdown Forums (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/index.php)
-   Pro Football (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=44)
-   -   Who is winning the NFL Comeback Player of the Year award? (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/showthread.php?t=58089)

Ness 01-03-2014 01:21 PM

Who is winning the NFL Comeback Player of the Year award?
 
This is as close a race for the award as I can recall. No major superstar has had a fantastic season after having an injury the previous year that kept them out a good amount of time. Maybe I'm forgetting someone, but we could have our first award winner that didn't come off a major injury since 2004 when Drew Brees won it for the Chargers.

I'm guessing Alex Smith or Philip Rivers gets the award.

cmarq83 01-03-2014 01:27 PM

It should be Thomas Davis, but I'm not sure he's enough of a name.

fatso 01-03-2014 01:28 PM

+1 for Thomas Davis

Monomach 01-03-2014 02:21 PM

Clearly Revis. Missed most of last season, came back and still graded out as the best corner in the NFL.

It's amazing how going to a backwater like Tampa Bay and being forced to play a scheme that didn't feature him made everyone forget that he exists.

CC.SD 01-03-2014 02:44 PM

I'll lol if Rivers gets it because it'll be the second Chargers QB this decade to win it without an injury being related. I'll co-sign Thomas Davis.

jth1331 01-03-2014 02:49 PM

What about Knowshon Moreno???

Cigaro 01-03-2014 02:49 PM

I'm not entirely sure why people are nominating Thomas Davis. Are people forgetting he played last year, and had a career year? He's even better this year, but that doesn't mean it's his comeback year.

The Alex 01-03-2014 02:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Monomach (Post 3534503)
Clearly Revis. Missed most of last season, came back and still graded out as the best corner in the NFL.

It's amazing how going to a backwater like Tampa Bay and being forced to play a scheme that didn't feature him made everyone forget that he exists.

I'm not doubting this claim but where do you get your grades from? I'm always looking for advanced stats and stuff.

Monomach 01-03-2014 02:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Alex (Post 3534532)
I'm not doubting this claim but where do you get your grades from? I'm always looking for advanced stats and stuff.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/

Damix 01-03-2014 04:00 PM

Terrell Thomas didn't have a great year, but hadn't played in so long it was quite the achievement. I think he and Thomas Davis are the only people who have torn the same ACL three times

Monomach 01-03-2014 04:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cigaro (Post 3534527)
I'm not entirely sure why people are nominating Thomas Davis. Are people forgetting he played last year, and had a career year? He's even better this year, but that doesn't mean it's his comeback year.


For real. Dude tore his ACL in 2011 and came back from it to have a fine season in 2012. Now we're talking about the 2013 award. If we're giving the award to a player having two consecutive good seasons back from injury, Peyton Manning gets it again, right?

SickwithIt1010 01-03-2014 04:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Monomach (Post 3534503)
Clearly Revis. Missed most of last season, came back and still graded out as the best corner in the NFL.

It's amazing how going to a backwater like Tampa Bay and being forced to play a scheme that didn't feature him made everyone forget that he exists.

Except for the whole part where Sherman was CLEARLY the best corner in the game.

The Alex 01-04-2014 04:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Monomach (Post 3534534)

Crap, I was hoping for a free one.

Breed 01-04-2014 02:24 PM

Darelle Revis

niel89 01-05-2014 04:27 PM

PFT posted an article that their CPotY is Jason Peters. 2 years of Achilles injuries and has comeback and had a nice year on a very productive offense. I forgot about him but he fits the award.

vidae 01-05-2014 04:29 PM

Yes but PFT also had Thomas Davis as an honorable mention.

Monomach 01-05-2014 07:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vidae (Post 3537491)
Yes but PFT also had Thomas Davis as an honorable mention.

Did PFT mention what he's supposed to be coming back from?


:wtf:

OzTitan 01-06-2014 02:33 AM

Woops wrong thread.

Cigaro 01-06-2014 02:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Monomach (Post 3537955)
Did PFT mention what he's supposed to be coming back from?


:wtf:

Apparently this;

Quote:

As Darin Gantt explained his endorsement of Davis, “Even though he’s not coming back from anything specific last year, the dude is playing Pro Bowl level ball after three ACLs. Is there a lifetime achievement comeback award, especially after getting covered up by [Peyton] Manning last year?”

vidae 01-06-2014 08:40 AM

He obviously doesn't understand what the award is given out for.

cmarq83 01-06-2014 10:06 AM

I guess I don't take the award as literally as you guys do. Yes he came back from injury last year, but he has dramatically stepped up his game this season to the point where he is one of the best linebackers in the league. I'm not so sure he was there last year.

Coming back from 3 ACL injuries to be one of the best LB's in the league even 2 years later is an impressive comeback.

Monomach 01-06-2014 10:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cmarq83 (Post 3538294)
I guess I don't take the award as literally as you guys do. Yes he came back from injury last year, but he has dramatically stepped up his game this season to the point where he is one of the best linebackers in the league. I'm not so sure he was there last year.

Coming back from 3 ACL injuries to be one of the best LB's in the league even 2 years later is an impressive comeback.

Last year, he was really good. Not as good as this year, but still really good.

If we use that reasoning, Peyton Manning has to get it back-to-back, because he was a hell of a lot better this year. He made a bigger step up than Davis did, right?

San Diego Chicken 01-06-2014 11:29 AM

I don't think Rivers should win it because he wasn't that bad previously.

64%, 3600, 26 and 15 with an 88.6 rating would be a career year for Flacco, Eli, Cutler, etc. For Rivers it's a terrible season.

Monomach 01-10-2014 11:39 PM

How about Manti? He came back from almost being caught being Rudy Cool.



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:40 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.